Dreamcast went down on history as a huge failure, but gained a massive cult status

>Dreamcast went down on history as a huge failure, but gained a massive cult status
>the GOAT Sega console is still barely discussed
How come? Saturn has a way better library, it is not even close. Is it really just because of a shitty movie game?

Attached: saturn_capa-770x500.jpg (770x500, 39.93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

racketboy.com/retro/sega-saturn-shmups-2d-shooters
twitter.com/AnonBabble

All the best games are Japan only
Sega handicapped the console hard in US

Saturn's library is a joke. Sega peaked with the Genesis and almost had a resurgence with the Dreamcast but the Saturn's failure brought them down anyway.

Sega America did
Instead of spending money on games they spent money throwing a private party for journalists to promote the 32X
Sega America is the most incompetent company ever

Mega Drive was nowhere near as good as the Saturn or Dreamcast, but anyway the Saturn didn’t fail that bad. It sold 5 times more than the Dreamcast, and the PS4 only made double its sales.

I've only learned about NiGHTS Into Dreams the last few days. Picked up the PC port on Steam for $2.

>It sold 5 times more than the Dreamcast, and the PS4 only made double its sales
What alternate reality are you from exactly? Genesis has Sega's best library by far.

Saturn sold 5.7 million units, PS4 9.1 million, Dreamcast 1.9 million.
So actually I was wrong it’s actually only 3 times more, and the PS4 only sold 1.5 times more

You know I was split on you being from Europe or just a massive weeaboo faggot when you said Mega Drive and not Genesis. Now I've got my answer.

Saturn is a Panzer Dragon machine and nothing more. It doesn't even have a fucking Sonic game, how can Segatards defend this garbage library?

Western game sales don’t matter. Oh wow Sony sold 5 million PS4’s in England woah
>top 5 selling games are just FIFA 20, FIFA 19, FIFA 18, FIFA 17, FIFA 16

You will never be Japanese.
>how can Segatards defend this garbage library?
It's only weeaboo faggots and mega contrarians that defend it.

Sega of America's refusal to support the Saturn, and even actively sabotaging the console, by telling game devs aboth the system, after it had already been on the market for a couple of months had a lot to do with why the Saturn never gained a lot of popularity.

Like others said, Saturns US library is poor. However in Japan the Saturn sold far better than the N64. The N64 however was just even today extremely unpopular, it's not uncommon to see full boxed copies of N64 games at Hardoff/Bookoffs going for like 10-15 bucks just because they sit on the shelf forever.

>YOURE NOT JAPANESE STOP PLAYING JAPANESS GAMES YOULL NEVER BE JAPANSSE OKAY

The Saturn outsold the PS1 in japan

I'm not telling you to stop playing Japanese games, I'm telling you to stop being a weeaboo.
Only for the first year they were both on the market, once FF7 came out it was over.

>people call the Saturn a Panzer Dragoon machine
>despite having lots of good racing games
>and fighting games
>and RPGs and strategy games

>meanwhile the N64 was basicly a Rareware box which also played Zelda

I will never understand americans obsession with the N64. The console was trash and i say that as someone who owned a SNES and later Gamecube and Switch. Despite Sega trying their best in the west to fuck over the Saturn - At the end of its lifecycle it still had more interesting titles to offer than the N64 did even outside of Japan.

Attached: 13689701.png (500x281, 153.87K)

>$10-$15
I got my CIB copy of Pokémon Stadium 2 for 100 yen
I don’t even know what a weeaboo is, just seems to be a term you homos bring up whenever someone mentions japan. Are you still mad about pearl harbour? Don’t worry, it was a false flag, FDR did it not Japan

>I don’t even know what a weeaboo is
Look in the mirror.

I just see one cool dude that doesn’t play lamo western shit
I’ll admit I like the Jak games

Sega of America and shenmue killed the dreamcast

The Saturn has the god-tier shmup library.

racketboy.com/retro/sega-saturn-shmups-2d-shooters

Attached: unnamed.jpg (512x512, 113.75K)

Good stuff. I got all 14 N64 games I cared about or like 7500 yen and even though, I probably overpaid. This was all on a book off near Yokota AFB though.

Panzer Dragoon games and Nights are worth more than anything on Dreamcast already and the system has great hidden gems like Guardian Heroes, Princess Crown, Mizubaku Daibouken, Astal, Ninpen Manmaru (it is good, don't listen to people that say it is garbage) and Clockwork Knight.
Dreamcast has some good stuff like Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi 2, Elemental Gimmick Gear and L.O.L, but I prefer the Saturn games in general.
Also, Genesis for sure had the healthiest library, but almost nothing except for the Sonic games, Bloodlines and the Treasure games stand out for me.

The Panzer Dragoon games aren't even that good and Nights is fucking boring.

I’ve only got 16 N64 games right now, I just order them from auctions since the stores around here don’t really have boxes in decent condition. I got Star Fox 64 for 1 yen

SoA and SoJ were retarded but at least SoA's retardation can be written off as arrogance due to success
SoJ was just full of bitterness and torpedoed themselves just to take SoA with them

Sega of Japan made their systems and games a success in their region, Sega of America couldn’t even do that and even flat out refused to release some huge hits for the Saturn like Sakura Wars or making limited copies of Panzer Dragoon RPG and instead of spending money to make more copies they put magazine ads making fun of fans that couldn’t find a copy

>Sega of Japan made their systems and games a success in their region
Only the Saturn was successful in Japan.

I wish the lack of general interest in the console carried across to the prices of the games. I still need 5 or so Saturn games which are now all $300+

SEGA certainly hurt their own ambitions with the way they handled stuff like the 32X or Saturn but overall them leaving the console market comes down to many different factors

>Saturn was basicly a beta PS3 with its strong hardware being too hard to use for developers which made them jump ship to the PS1
>them selling the 32X shortly before the Saturn dropped burned trust
>Sony hit all the right marks with the PS1 and with them basicly promising everything good in existence coming with the PS2 SEGA had no chance to compete with the hype after an initally good Dreamcast launch because SEGA unlike Sony wasn't and still isn't a mega corporate empire who can afford to spend massive amounts of money on ads
>while SEGA console always generally did well in Japan they quickly lost their following after the Megadrive/Genesis due to them losing out on mainstream titles like sports games on Saturn

The only reason why we got the XBOX was it being made by MS because MS is also a player who can spend massive amounts of money on something without the risk of them nearly bankrupting themselves over it. SEGA did not have that luxery as a japanese arcade/gambling company.

Mark III was only big in Brazil, Mega Drive was only big in Europe, Saturn and Dreamcast both did well enough in Japan but Dreamcast didn’t have time to grow because Sega of America fucked up segas finances throwing parties for journalists to try and sell the 32X

>Mega Drive was only big in Europe
The Sega Genesis sold extremely well in North America. That's the reason SoA came up with the 32X, tons of people already owned a Genesis and the games were still selling. It didn't make any sense to throw it away in favor of the too expensive and underpowered Saturn. Really if that piece of shit Saturn never existed the 32X would have done alright.

Go fuck yourselves

Attached: 1590268235046.jpg (1952x8110, 3.95M)

>all those inferior ports and mediocre titles like Nights
This is why it was a flop.

Nah Saturn was selling amazing, but Sega of America fucked everything up

Saturn was selling well, not amazingly but well in Japan only and in the first year of its life. That's mainly due to Playstation not having a great library until around 1997. Even by 1997 though the Saturn was already dead in the west, the rapidly improving Playstation and N64 libraries certainly didn't help.

They should've known better than screw with retailers.