Ryzen 7 2nd Gen > Convince me why it's better than Intel

I always hated AMD for making cheap hardware susceptible to overheating and poor maintenance, but I heard Ryzen can finally go toe to toe with big brother Jewtel.

Is this true, or does it still suck by your experience?

Attached: ryzen-galaxy-s7-edge-rom.jpg (1139x759, 66.84K)

I have an EPYC 7351P (Zen, like 1st gen Ryzen) server. Their Achilles heel is communication across dies making it much more affected by slow memory than their Intel counterparts. They're also an order of magnitude cheaper and the single-core performance difference is completely negligible. It's a little slower in some aspects and a lot faster in others. For example it's a little slower when scheduling SSE instructions but a lot faster at scheduling AES-NI instruction (presumably because per-VM RAM encryption is one of the features it boasts).
It's a much faster CPU than Intel will sell you for anything approaching that price, but it's no good for HPC stuff if you're into that sort of thing; or for that matter anything else that requires a lot of synchronization across a lot of cores.
It's hard to compare temps because I have an entirely different cooling setup than Intel machines it replaced however it seems about proportional to Intel machines in terms of power/performance. I'm not blown away by low temps but it's definitely not running hot. Even at full load it can barely make the firmware (which here maintains a constant 50°C temp on the die) spin up the fans. These things are supposed to be usable in 1U cabinets after all. Power draw has also been pleasantly low.
Fuck the SP3 socket though, holy shit. My first board came with an almost invisibly bent pin and the result was months of trying to figure out why the fuck the RAID controller kept getting disconnected about a random amount of seconds after or into POST. Had to get an angled fucking zoom shot just to see it. Since it comes with its own cooler mounting holes, which under normal circumstances I'd consider great, and since it's the same size as TR4, you'd think you could use any Threadripper workstation cooler but nope, fuck you. It's a very elongated rectangle and 90° rotated from each other so they're basically incompatible, unless you're not bothered by unnecessarily poor cooling performance.
Ryzen thankfully uses a saner socket. They somehow managed to make pins on the CPU seem preferable.

With all that said, it's undoubtedly the best computer purchase I've ever made.

Attached: image002.jpg (1024x768, 320.14K)

Went from a Haswell i5 to a R5 2600 and i'm never going back to Intlel again, holy shit the performance for the money is unbeatable, even at stock (3.75 all core Turbo) I get the same if not better performance than the 4690k it replaced.

Total shit RAM support though, so take my advice: get B-Die even if it means supporting the gooks who enable the cartel bullshit.

Thinly veiled proofs thread?

Using a Ryzen 5 in my workstation. Great performance at low temps, even for gaymes you might get an extra 2-3 frames because slightly better single core performance and Intel specific optimizations but overall AMD is the better choice. Hopefully the new Zen blows Intel out of the fucking water

You could have (and should have) posted this in the consumer advice thread. Simply put, AMD is just better deal overall. Better price/performance ratio. Good stock coolers.

You joking m8? Intel has had worse thermals since Ivy Bridge and the replacement of solder with poor thermal paste.
Anyway, I got a 2700X and I like having 16 threads without needing a HEDT platform (and I have a B450 chipset, no gaymer bullshit needed here).

Enjoy your shitass VRM

You should have got an X470 Taichi.

For the 100000000th time:
Radeon 7 is a place holder and shouldn't be taken seriously
Navi is coming this year even.
This here was a meme from the time where you could only find AMD in HP laptops, and HP made and still makes the shittiest of them all.
As some user pointed out here, Intel is the one with problems.
It never.

Vega 7 is price competitive in games and awesome for compute

I don't overclock.

That costs money.

Don't buy AMD! The multi-thread support is pure CRAP! If you are into computation or number crunching in general, the core(s) scalability DOESN'T EXIST
You have been warned.

Thanks for your input schlomo, now go drink fluoridated water.

OCing is literally mandatory if you're not a poser

its gamer shit just like those bright leds that they have everywhere

Is your PC a glorified facebook machine? OCing improves literally everything

different user here, temperature is definitely an issue and part life has been irrelevant for the CPU BUT if you have to overclock the FSB part life can become a big issue for some parts.

A non issue and another non issue? What are you even doing here?

(((buy this hardware)))

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (387x291, 97.83K)

where do you see this kind of degenerate News?

i dont want that extra heat and noise for no reason. most modern computers will oc automatically if its needed and downclock when its not so less power is wasted

I've had my 1700x for almost two years. I've overclocked it to 3.8ghz. I'm very happy with it, it renders in Blender very well, makes Gentoo emerge really quick, and has been very good to me. My only complaint is that it's been a real fickle cunt with RAM. I had some G. Skill in here before, and it didn't like it. Couldn't get it to do 2133mhz to save my life. I got some different ram and I'm at 2800mhz no problem right now.

Other than that it's great. I have it liquid cooled and even overclocked the socket temp never makes it above 50c.

You're only going to really hurt part life if you overvolt. You can usually squeeze out some decent performance without even touching the voltage. Almost all of the heat from overclocking comes from voltage, not the frequency.

Temps and voltage are what kills a chip, not the frequency.

Ryzen chips have XFR, so they will manually overclock themselves if you have a good cooler/VRMs.

Power scales linearly with frequency and quadratically with voltage.
Large temperature changes is what kills the chip, as the thermal expansion causes the cut to separate from either metal 1 or the silicon (or both). You can happily sit it at 100C for as long as you like. It probably won't do shit to it. When you rapidly cool it though, that's when shit hits the fan.

If it can't kick ass on emulators than it sucks. Fuck Ryzen.

t. PCSX2 dev

except it can

Did you just try to write automatically and accidentally typed the opposite?

Only X-series Ryzens have XFR, that's why you should not overclock a 2700X but use Precision Boost Overdrive.

The Radeon 7 is fine.

What's the best price/performance CPU atm?
To me it seems like the AMD Ryzen 7 1700X.

What's the best price/performance CPU atm?
To me it seems like the AMD Ryzen 7 1800X.

Built my moms a ryzen 2400g micro sans graka the little nigger is running gud so far, had to splurge on the ram tho fuck my ass and mouth fast ram is expensive..double triple check the board u are getting stay the fuck away from the x370s imo

What's wrong with x370?

Shit VRMs mostly, unless you go balls to the wall with a Crosshair VI Hero/Extreme.

Game performance is sub-par, fails to beat an i5.

For everything else Ryzen is great, better performance/price than Intel even. For everything EXCEPT GAMES. So the crucial question is, what use case actually brings the CPU to its knees? Do you ever render video? Do you ever do anything besides run video games that will actually take advantage of a brand new CPU? Ryzenfags will never admit this but if video games are the only use case where performance is crucial then you should just get an i5, or even an i3.

Attached: CPU game performance 2019.png (600x800, 170.54K)

I don't know what his reasons against the 370 specifically were but I built a 2200G machine so I can tell you this: The 300 mainboards don't natively support the 2000 APUs, and making them compatible requires a Ryzen 1000 CPU. out of the box compatibility requires a 450 or 470 board. the APU launch was a mess.

Many mobos overclock intels by default and they tend to get too hot.
I don't think your claim is fair. Games aren't any different to other applications.
Kek, I'm on an Intel i5 3330. That's basically the oldest shit with the marketing name i5. I can play lot's of vidya at constant 144Hz due to my GPU. The increase in CPU performance in the last years has been fucking laughable, so I can only recommend anons to get best price/performance CPUs.
Furthermore Intel has a billion sockets for every little shit. If you ever want to upgrade within a RAM DDR cycle you still have to get a new mobo because >muh socket.

*lots

I agree that Ryzen can't hold up when it comes to games, but I do a lot of compiling & stuff, and at that, a Ryzen 7 performs just fine.

I have sworn to never buy a Jewtel CPU again (the reasons have been discussed on this board over and over) and I think many others have, too>>1038629

Attached: Screenshot_2019-03-02_144835.png (1073x1022, 625.47K)

It doesn't support the theft, murder, and oppression of the Palestinian people, for one.

I think it's AMD Ryzen 5 2600.

Ryzen is viable option even for gaming, if you don't have to squeeze out even the smallest bits of performance.

The more cores you have, the better it's for compiling stuff. so AMD is clearly better than Inlel for software development and Gentoo.