Intel CPUs vulnerable to new speculative attack called "SPOILER" — no CVE yet

archive.fo/0iwVt

THE ABSOLUTE STATE OF INTELAVIV

Other urls found in this thread:

networkworld.com/article/3246707/meltdown-and-spectre-how-much-are-arm-and-amd-exposed.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Isn't speculative execution great?

I wonder if Intel will seriously consider pushing for RISC-V desktop adoption as their existing chip designs have too many design flaws to fix within a reasonable amount of time.

Where have you personally seen any of these exploits used in the wild?

What about POWER?

these are just jewish tricks. they want to sell new cpus so they make these terrible patches that take away most of the performance.

Using a hardened browser (e.g. icecat, tor browser) in an operating system that is solely composed of free software bonus points for compiling it yourself?

Zig Forums is always right

just turn javascript off. anything that is not about displaying text or pictures wont work if its off.

then get the fuck back there, stormfag

ahhahahahahhahahah!

"Fuck grsecurity"
--linus.

Remeber: PaX and Spengler have a mitigation vs the spectre and meltdown bugs that doesn't kill performance.

Linus does not.

This. Websites that literally don't work with javascript on are not worth visiting. With webshits wanting to run on shitty android stuff, there are surprisingly few nowadays. That being said, I'm glad I went full AMD ~2 years ago. Heh.

Would like to go full ARM to be honest, but they are not powerful enough and the ones that are run only on proprietary frankenkernels.

The only modern arch that generally doesn't have speculative execution is MIPS I believe.

older ARMs like the Cortex-A7 and very old Atoms don't have it either but they're quite slow. Older PowerPC CPUs and some of the more exotic chips (like VIA C7 etc.) and Transmeta CPUs should also be safe. That's all very old and slow stuff though.

Cavium ThunderX doesn't, but ThunderX2 and Qualcomm's big server chip do, at least to a certain extent
networkworld.com/article/3246707/meltdown-and-spectre-how-much-are-arm-and-amd-exposed.html

When have you ever seen a cryptographic attack in the wild? Does that now mean cryptographic weaknesses don't matter?

Unlikely, it has even less speculative memory stuff than AMD and ARM. Power9 instead has hardware transactional memory available to the programmer to accelerate memory operations which is better than speculative memory for parallel workloads but isn't enabled by default since its kinda niche and has some unpleasant side effects (you can have some memory accesses seemly traveling backward in time) for programs that are expecting a strict memory model like that of x86 and ARM.

This isn't actually speculative execution, its the memory controller speculating what memory is going to be accessed next and loading or storing to system memory and cache(s) it as appropriate.

Spoonfeed me.

that's not SPOILER, that's SPLHBRCA

Laughs in N450

Attached: serveimage (8).jpeg (800x450, 18.79K)

spoiler / meltdown is patched
also noscript blocks it in your browser