Decide to give linux a go on my 10 year old netbook

When does the oft vaunted difficulty of Linux come into factor?

normies are absolute idiots. you are certainly in the most qualified 1% of computer users

You deserve it, cuck.

When will you stop sucking dicks?

They provide hardware compatibility lists and also guidance in most distros, did you check that?

Even though it has systemd I trust Debian more than other low manpower, low user base Linux distribution. The Debian foundation is much harder for glow niggers to infiltrate(letting in blue and purple hairs might ruin it tho) as opposed to some 2 man Linux distro. Humans are easily corrupted by shekels and a 2 man Linux team is easier to corrupt than a whole freakin organization. Debian despite the potteringware has everything:
Debian Stable: for production environment and family members where you are the IT support department
Debian Testing: newer packages but potentially more buggy than stable
Debian Unstable: Newest packages but also the most buggy.

Nvidia has horrible Linux support. You've done some research before buying hardware (unless you had already bought them and then want to switch to Linux).

It's mostly an ancient meme, like the "hurr durr Arch taeks 2 weeks to install 'n' X brakes alla time lol."

That said, you benefited from the fact that you're using older (probably common) hardware, which is more likely to be supported under Linux. It's certainly possible to buy brand new hardware or older, obscure hardware that has no Linux support.

Also, the difficulty factor can come in when you want to do something that's unusual or poorly/un documented. It's not uncommon to have to dig through old forum posts to try to find somebody who had the same problem you did, only to half the time find no solution, but the original poster just says "nvm, guys, figured it out," with no detail as to what he did.

nvidia has ok Linux support. If you want to see a horrible level of nvidia support, check out the BSDs.

Then you legit did something wrong. Despite how sparse the Void wiki is, the directions on there are correct.

Installing on new hardware or hardware that doesn't have drivers in the install media can be more difficult. Even then all of the problems I had were solved within 10 minutes of googling because I have an IQ over 85.

Use Devuan. It's Debian with a few small modifications that are all well documented. The biggest one is that it ships with sysvinit instead of systemd. It's just as easy to use as normal Debian. The only thing that doesn't work without systemd is the Gnome desktop, which is trash anyways. I'm currently running Devuan ASCII and it's rock solid.

Just don't use computers for delicate matters, they are compromised anyways on hardware level you bunch of cucks. Windows just works. Torrent LTSB Enterprise and it just werks.

must be a troll and even on testing i find his story hard to believe
pics and dmesg syslogs or it didn't happen

Just install Ubuntu lmao

really?

Even in windows it turns the screen off then on. Maybe you should have waited. And a restart after it was done would have fixed it too.
Also when i updated nvidia drivers it never flickered.

Sorry anons I didn't know what I was talking about. I actually tried using the gnu/linux for actual work and the following happened

I'll be sticking to Windows now

Only absolute retards can't figure out how to use Linux today.
The difficulty you're referring to comes from how Linux used to be.
Most of the people here are too young to remember, but back in the 90s there were things called "win modems".
They were basically dial up modems that were half-built. The hardware handled some things, but you needed software running on the computer for the rest of the modem's functionality.
Most of that software was written only for Windows, so if you were a Linux user you had to write the software yourself (unless you got lucky and your win modem was popular enough that someone else already did the work for you).
These devices weren't the only things with poor Linux support.
Most peripherals could be made to work on Linux, but it often involved a lot of low level configuring (setting IRQs correctly, rebuilding the kernel to support the device, etc.).
Basically if it wasn't a serial (or PS/2) keyboard/mouse and a VGA monitor, you probably had to configure it before it would work.

Or people who aren't LARPing as experts while following a tutorial on another machine.

- when it's 0.5 year old *book with half-decent drivers only available on windows 10 or macos
- when after installing any DE or WM everything shutters because xorg is horrible, no matter the GPU or distro
- when after installing (K)DE everything turns to glitched shit because xorg is horrible and graphics driver programmers can't keep up with changes in xorg and (K)DE developers hate their job because of that, it's all made with hate
- when i want to use my Wacom or some other less common piece of hardware and configuring it with the half-working community drivers turns out to be esoteric magick through xorg.conf
- when setting system time is not possible through the DE's settings GUI and is tied to the CLI configuration through the init system
- when the productivity software is crap (or non-existant)
- "works on my machine"

Attached: b6d36dc91311c2e80694a2948cb298e3bc00964619410f0a366fa3ac2ef3d23b.jpg (661x501, 33.49K)

I've got ryzen 5 2600 and Nvidia gtx 950 with linux mint, everything just werks. Nvidia driver was available in that driver downloader thing that comes with mint (and comes from Ubuntu probably). I've got linux mint on 3 different computers, some laptop with all Intel chipsets too, everything just werks. Honestly I don't believe in these "I installed drivers and X broke" shitposts

when the msshills log on to their favorite social media

The "Linux is hard" meme is just pushed by Microsoft shills today who do it for free because fortnite won't run on Ubuntu.

If you have difficulty installing or using the command line in GNU/Linux, and unironically shill for Windows you shouldn't be on this board.
>>>/g/

What model ibook do you have?

It's FUD which has been spread by Microsoft and Apple for decades. They have to constantly reinforce this FUD with posts to forums and places like cuck chan and even this board. Heck eham.net which is the biggest ham radio forum has a few spergs who are obvious MS shills an autistically screech every time somebody mentions doing ham related shit on Linux or BSD or even OS X.

The correct procedure is to point out how easy it is to make things work, ask them if they need help (they will refuse to cooperate) and then mocking them for stupidity, and suggesting that staying on Windows is probably for the best as they're not qualified to handle a "real" OS. This usually makes them mad.

Last time I used Debian desktop the audio was a clusterfuck. You have to install asla-utils, run it and turn on the audio feedback.

Installing apulse and using alsa is the solution. Bonus is that your mic isn't streaming to Fort Meade at all times too.

Linux has been stupid simple to use for the better part of a decade now.

Actually longer. When did Ubuntu come out again? 2005?

Attached: generate.png (500x700, 203.11K)

Clownhairs *are* the CIA.

Knowing to follow instructions is a major part of not being a retard.

Ghouls can't spend a minute using Android without getting a virus and you want them to know how to use Ubuntu.

Install a game and see if it just werks. 7/10 times it will not and youll be missing some dependency that you'll spend an hour looking for.

Nvidia is aids on linux

I think it's telling that I seriously thought you were talking about Windows until I went back for context. I've only ever had the problem you describe on Windows. If I'm ever missing a dependency on linux, the package manager has handled that just fine.

I bet your retarded windows monkey brain did the dumbfuck thing and tried to download nvidia drivers straight from their website.

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

Schizophrenia is one hell of a drug.

I smell rats.

Holy fuck what is going on in this thread

DAILY REMINDER THAT THE MODS ARE COMPROMISED MOSSAD/CIA SHILLS