Anyone know what port 76 was registered for...

Anyone know what port 76 was registered for? It's marked down as ”deos: Distributed External Object Store” but I'm unable to find any rfc or specifications about the protocol it uses or even what its used for. helb?

Attached: Youdontknowme_f20ae7_6356390.jpg (1200x1386, 117.77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml?&page=2
auditmypc.com/udp-port-76.asp
archive.org/details/usenet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_storage
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No idea.
IANA site provides some contacts for assignee though. I wonder if that could help.
iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.xhtml?&page=2
Also I don't see why anybody should care, really. Probably some legacy UNIX shit. Just don't use it and be done, it is a privileged port anyway.

Tried the listed email and it no longer works, apart from the name of the guy there's not much else to go off.

auditmypc.com/udp-port-76.asp
"Side note: UDP port 76 uses the Datagram Protocol, a communications protocol for the Internet network layer, transport layer, and session layer. This protocol when used over PORT 76 makes possible the transmission of a datagram message from one computer to an application running in another computer. Like TCP (Transmission Control Protocol), UDP is used with IP (the Internet Protocol) but unlike TCP on Port 76, UDP Port 76 is connectionless and does not guarantee reliable communication; it’s up to the application that received the message on Port 76 to process any errors and verify correct delivery.
Because protocol UDP port 76 was flagged as a virus (colored red) does not mean that a virus is using port 76, but that a Trojan or Virus has used this port in the past to communicate."

Side note: FUCKING USELESS LINK YOU IDIOT

Attached: fartass.png (551x296, 49.11K)

Does finger work on port 76?

does it really matter.. there can be anything in any port now since unix autists arent the only ones with access to servers.

UNIX weenies aren't smart enough to understand distributed objects.

I'm asking for information about deos, not generic information about ports.

Probably

Probably not, but the complete lack of information about the port and protocol is a bit interesting. If I can find anything about the protocol I might make an implementation for fun, was my intention in the first place

You weren't kidding, that port is memory holed on today's internet. Nothing in googlegroup's usenet archives either. They might be incomplete. Try finding a more complete archive maybe.

The ArchiveORG team has a relatively large usenet archive, I'm unsure as to how large it is in comparison but that might be a good start. archive.org/details/usenet

Then why is port 22 reserved for SSH?

its just the default. having some standards make sense because it makes things easier. like you dont have to look from some 10000 page manual what the ssh port for that machine is when you need to do something on it.

Have you tried asking some OG greybeard, like RMS?

Attached: 1461002328188.png (1440x1080, 529.65K)

This is extremely weird. Maybe searching inside the Research Unix archives on tuhs will lead to a discovery?

Might consider that

Did you even try to do a web search?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_storage

No shit, Sherlock.
The port must refer to some specific implementation of that shit though.

Sadly rms hasn't heard of it, I do appreciate his reply though.

Yes, numerous times. Don't be a smartass, you'll look like an idiot.

Attached: 20190412-042813.jpg (720x823, 112.48K)

No it doesn't.

Then post your findings. Your OP didn't have any information describing what you've discovered on your own, so it's not obvious to anyone reading whether you had done any web search or not.

Proof? Post your findings
Robert Ullman
[email protected]
[email protected]
The OP is literally me saying I can't find anything. How could I post information I didn't have?

Does port 80 require an HTTP 1.0, 1.1, or 2.0 implementation?

Does your brain require at least one brain cell to function?

Sore loser.

HAPAS ARE SUPERIOR TO WHITES

Schizophrenia is one hell of a drug.

Whatcha sliding mordecai?

These are our enemies. Why are we supporting them?

Heil Israel

I am Jewish and I don't support this. Not all Jews are like that.