So what's your opinion on Firefox and do you use it?

So what's your opinion on Firefox and do you use it?

I find it fucking slow and laggy even on the fastest NVMe SSD that money can buy.

But most of all... I just want to know if people on here are as absolutely cucked as 4chans tech board, which basically has a cult following for SJW Mozilla shit - It's like being on Reddit.

Attached: fucked.png (700x583, 139.06K)

Other urls found in this thread:

next.atlas.engineer/
next.atlas.engineer/article/technical-design.org
iridiumbrowser.de/
haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/applications/icon-o-matic.html
spyware.neocities.org/articles/opera.html
spyware.neocities.org/http.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_hoarding
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I use it for the addons and customization.
I don't follow it like a cult, a piece of software is a tool. Although I'm sure there must be some hammer cultists somewhere
Sage for browser thread

I have found that the forks of firefox are far superior to the main branch, and lack some if the anti-features the mozilla foundation has seen fit to implement. As long as you're not using chromnium forks or FF, you should be fine.

Sage for subhuman OP.

Hello, Google.

Browsers kinda have to be shit (well, not as bad as they actually are, but still), because the web itself is terrible. They are all garbage, except the cool shit that doesn't work everywhere, like Links2.

FireFox is shitty but I use pale-moon on my Windows PC and it seems fine.

I use it, but only because there is no real alternative. The web is such shit that it takes a large company to be able to maintain a fully compatible browser engine.

There are forks out there and smaller browser projects that reuse an existing engine, but I cannot trust really trust one guy with such a critical responsibility. Once mainline changes something big the forks and smaller browsers have to basically throw everything away and start from scratch. The only alternative browser I have hope for is Next:
next.atlas.engineer/

Next has the right idea of separating the project: the backend that contains the user-relevant code is written in Common Lisp, while the web browser part is written in C. The two are separate processes communicating with each other, and the web browser part has very little source code. That way starting from scratch or swapping in a new engine is very cheap and can be done without touching and of the Lisp code.
next.atlas.engineer/article/technical-design.org

It is not yet mature enough to be a daily driver for me, but it is a promising project.

keep (((your))) datamining on >>>/cuckchannel/, loser

Attached: the final nigger.jpg (1643x1643, 180.34K)

eh no
no I guess when someone is asking to fuck my ass I don't just say well /g/eee 'for the greater or good of humanity' or 'what's the alternative'.

On the other hand I'm glad captchas have attracted quality posters like these. Hopefully we can have user accounts to attract the reddit crowd too.

i do - it's currently the best browser i've come accross in terms of customisability and letting me set things up just the way i want.
if a better browser shows up, i'll switch in a heart beat.

GET >>>/out/ CIA!

ungoogled chromium is better github.com/Eloston/ungoogled-chromium

LOL!

muh datamining, you know what to do

Attached: 8ef63652274026fd503aa1101bd9c4231b7865621c6e07a76e3dbef18449f9ec.png (1070x601, 385.83K)

Firefox's main appeal was plugins, but after 56 they neutered them and it stopped having any advantages over other browsers. I'd recommend you start using ungoogled chromium sooner rather than later.
Sage for browser thread

I finally gave it up last year for Palemoon when they nuked all add-ons that were the whole damn reason I ever used Firefox in the first place. Burn in hell Mozilla, you traitors.

Just use dissenter browser by Gab fren. It's a better version of brave (which is a faster and uncucked version of Brave).

It'll have the first store with extensions where they do not remove or censor competing addons.

uncucked version of Chrome* (it doesn't keylog/track everything you enter) and it also lets you comment on any website

It works for me (TM)

Pale Moon is better, it's like Firefox before it became retarded. Also it's not just some lazy repackaged version that has some flags toggled that might or might not do anything, it is actually a genuine fork that removes things like telemetry from code directly. (Which funnily enough, speeds the browser up) It's not even supposed to be a lightweight alternative, it just ends up that way if you remove Mozillas recent crap. Also it still uses GTK2 if you want to and that alone is nice if you don't want that GTK3 garbage. (and it's dependencies)

(I also really like how it's almost impossible to post on here via VPN or TOR these days. Zig Forums starts to glow more and more)

I cling to Firefox just because it has a traditional user interface (or at least it can be changed back into what it is supposed to be). Chrome, Opera, Brave... all have non-standard designs, and I hate that. If your program uses a goddamn hamburger button instead of a menu bar, into the trash it goes!

Attached: NO-BURGER.png (1024x1024, 21.76K)

Menu bars were a mistake.

The ideal is a global menu bar fixed on top, Mac style. A menu bar in each window is less than ideal but still acceptable. A hamburger button on a desktop system is fucking retarded.

Attached: Mac_OS_8.1.png (640x480, 73.13K)

Oh, forgot to mention: a ribbon interface is almost as bad as a burger button.

Apple really had that shit down. Don't care about their modern stuff but still have a 90s Mac I use sometimes and the interface is just so comfortable and nice to look at. Might not always be the most efficient but I think you need a bit (a bit!) of ergonomics too to just make it nice for the eye.

I also really miss pixel icons. They were a lot more distinctive than the shiny mess we get now.

We have high DPI screens now. Pixel icons at their proper sizes will only be used by ants. Pixel icons stretched out to human sizes would just look weird and out of place in today's big screens.

Having used everything from monochrome CRTs to HiDPI 4k screens I find the idea that the latter ones add a lot to personal computing intrinsically very debatable at this point. Yes, things (especially outline fonts) are sharper on them and yes they might be better for image editing and such but if they really add a lot in every situation I really start to doubt. I think it's just the usual marketing "bigger number = better" ploy they've pulled with normies since the beginning of time.

Give me an "old" window manager like windowmaker with pixel icons, nice bitmapped fonts (or well-hinted outline ones) and a good 4:3 screen any day, imho. That hidpi crap just adds complexities I don't care about.

Tell me why I shouldn't use Iridium
iridiumbrowser.de/

High DPI is very nice when you're trying to read a textbook

I like burger menus tbh
t. burger

But they ditched that years ago. And then they nuked Classic Theme Restorer.

I used it not so long and didn't see lags/bugs

Firefox is getting obnoxious but there is no real alternative that is as customizable

Attached: 1556970134718.jpg (634x309 17.64 KB, 25.43K)

Have you tried Waterfox?

One observation Apple made in the HIG for early versions of OSuX, before they went completely senile, was that the additional pixels in 128x128 icons should be used to make simplistic designs more legible, not to create more detailed designs.

This principle was perhaps best exemplified by the vector icons in SGI's old Magic Desktop, and today in the BeOS spinoff Haiku.

Haiku's icons are particularly interesting, because they are built around a maximum fineness of a 64x64 grid for Bézier vector points and anchors, as well as including LoD switch options that allow icons to lose details for different PPI displays. Thus, they mix the stylistic requirements once imposed by technical limitations of bitmaps, with the scaleability and legibility of vector.

Attached: Iomhvif.png (1152x720 94.64 KB, 114.4K)

Designing specific icons for common sizes (16, 24, 32, 48, ...) is a far superior option to trying to design a single vector-based version that is legible for all sizes. Often you want to simplify forms to make them more distinct for the smallest sizes. Trying to use one asset for all sizes is just fucking lazy.

install guix and stfu all niggerfaggots who keep doing shit like this

Because ungoogled-chromium exists. Iridium is fine too TH.

Never use gab, it's (((compromised))) since the downtime or whatever they had some months ago, where it handed data off to some agencies.
Instead, use ungoogled-chromium.

Guix solves the problem of how do I ensure all my machines have the exact same environment.
I have one machine.

You're just checking on us anons, fuck you cianig.

That is precisely one of Haiku's features, since the detail useful in an icon isn't strictly dictated by its resolution, but by its real world size in the viewer's field of vision.

By uncoupling the two, this allows Haiku to present visually simple icons at 16x16 and complex icons at 32x32 for an old fashioned 72PPI display, or for a modern 180PPI display it renders those same icons at 40x40 and 80x80, all from the same set of vector designs.

See here, in the "LoD" section, for details:
haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/applications/icon-o-matic.html

i wish there was an option or addon to prevent any page from taking too much memory too fast

Posting from edge.
pls send bitcoins.

a-user c-chromium is pretty good.

You fucking stupid or something?

lol what? would you please elaborate and exemplify your question as to why I may be a retard for believing chromium behaves well on my shittop.

I have used it since the beginning and I think it's been on the decline in a lot of ways. I only use it today because the alternatives I've tried are worse than it. It could possibly get better, but it's been rough for a while now. Vivaldi is the most promising alternative I've used and if it wasen't for the fact that no chrome based browser can seem to handle all the shit I throw at it, I can't really consider it an option.
The CPU and memory utilization of Chrome based browsers is abysmal before you even factor in addons.
While Mozilla is doing a good job of making everyone mad with their idiotic decisions on top of their foundation, at least the core is stable and efficient. And at least people are able to build forks from that, although they're no better.

I can launch an mostly up to date firefox fork with less then 50MB of ram. I am on 64bit, on 32bit the fork would take even less ram due to the half sized integers/pointers, so 25MB at its lowest. Can you even say anything near that for any chrome fork ever?

Ungoogled Chromium uses under 40MB of RAM on launch for me.

works fine for me with a non overclocked i5 2500k botnet cpu and the cheapest chink ssd that i could find

all browsers are shit and at minimum require VM sand boxing for security

enjoy your delayed security patches.

opera and surf are the only good browsers, for very different reasons obviously

Holy mackerel, tech is pozzed af now. I took a break from pigchan in general due to my suspicions of posts like what are in this thread being the norm miraculously more than it already was. Boy, were my suspicions more correct than I could've ever thought.

The fact that there are people in this thread who PRAISE Fireshit for its modern UI and PRAISE Fireshit for its customization capabilities proves this board is a corpse glowing as bright as the sun.

If you're not using Ungoogled Chromium, GNU Icecat, and/or, especially (if you like taking advantage of the superiority of XUL over any other platform), Pale Moon for clearnet browsing (with a graphical browser_, you're doing it wrong and I shouldn't have to explain why. Yet, these sites should be all you need: spyware.neocities.org , digdeeper.neocities.org
Politics matters, but it is not high on the priority list of things that constitute a decent web browser. The site which evaluations are found on shouldn't be the sole focus of scrutiny.
Get well soon, pigchan. Back to altchans I go.

Attached: not funny.jpg (250x248, 38.24K)

theres nothing wrong in the current firefox ui. the ui should not waste space because its the content that i care about not some massive buttons with fuckhuge spacing.

I don't know anymore. I've been using FF for the past decade or so, and I'm getting really fucking fed up with the bullshit with their latest "oopsie" that PERMANENTLY disabled add-ons on every older version of FF. "Upgrade to Quantum goyim!!!" is what it stinks like - like a burning yamaka - to me.

I fucking hate Chromium's UI, but I might be able to rice it somewhat to work like FF. Latest Icecat and Pale Moon suck donkey shit compared to FF55, so I'm not going there. Is Opera still alive?

please let me know of some smaller non-shill-filled imageboards, based marisa poster
i want out of this place and halfchan

There was a time Zig Forums was like 4th in the board popularity list. That was a long time ago.

based.
also, daily reminder that FireFox still doesn't have pledge because FireFox isn't privilege separated

It's now chinese chromium clone and absolutely proprietary botnetware spyware.neocities.org/articles/opera.html

Arisu, those who close the world, can open the next.

as if the freebsd logo wasn't enough

thanks for revealing your low iq

This is how the world will end. With smug individuals and their superiority complexes walking away from the positions they were intended to fulfill, as stewards for the future netizens, as there were stewards before. Not that anyone gives a shit but I'm going to give Pale Moon another try - it just sucks shit that it doesn't actually work with 99% of the FF extensions and Addons that I have working in FF. Going to try Iridium, too I guess. I get that FF being totally unconfigured and phoning home at every turn is gay as fuck, but when you've actually gone through and cleaned out all the bullshit it's a very reasonable compromise between functionality, convenience, and security.

Fuck, alright. I've been on FF since 3, but did try opera for a little while a few years after that and liked it. Wouldn't even visit the homepage now.

protip: You can still program Firefox and XUL in modern Firefox versions. What you cannot do is access XUL from the webextension system.

Tree Style Tabs if we're talking addons that are unique to Firefox and not on Chromium/Webkit based browsers

lmao

I use qupzilla.

Uses 1% of the memory that firefox does. So I can have my customary 6 million tabs open without it hogging my computers reources.
Same functionality as firefox but the ad blocker is built in to the browser. And it cant play MP4 because fuck apple.

This so fucking much. Tree Style Tabs is a must. I use Chromium sometimes but god damn after I open like 15 tabs I can't tell which is which. The tab tape is an abomination.

>spyware.neocities.org/http.html

Attached: 1443299573163.jpg (395x401, 59.31K)

The guy who maintains that is a very special person. He's just as special as the digdeeper maintainer. Two unique ❄❄ sparkling brightly for all to see.

I like his articlel on ricing tbh.

Attached: rice.png (1280x800, 871.32K)

but he is right, you know

used to be good but piece by piece it lost all the great things inherited from Netscape, replaced by garbage code in garbage language
ive come to conclusion its only reason it was able to compete, once this got ruined its development went downhill

I have a lot of tabs open in my browser all of the time, certainty above 30 tabs at a time with sometimes reaching above 100. That's why I use(d) Firefox, because it had a session manager extension, now I use Waterfox until they fucking add the missing APIs so a useful session manager can appear again. There are other extensions like Tab Mix Plus and a non-hideous Download status bar that are also missing in FF, but not having session manager is the deal-breaker for me.

I have a solution that works in every browser: Bookmarks

I'm not him and I use bookmarks all the time. I have a bookmark folder called "readme" to store my list of tabs to read. If need be, I can even organize that folder into more folders and tags. I swear there are people who complain that Firefox steals so much memory but they don't say that they've got 100 tabs running at the same time each with their own instances of Javascript programs.

Bookmarks don't automatically save your tabs when you close your browser or when it crashes, also you have to delete them when you have no more use for them. Are you going to bookmark every single latest chapter of a webnovel you have to read and then delete that bookmark? It's far too tedious when a session manager does this shit automatically and painlessly.

There aren't 100 tabs running at the same time, when you load your previous session all tabs except the current one is in an unloaded state, they take no resources until you click and load them. Otherwise every single time you opened a session your pc would slow to a crawl from all the tabs being loaded.

I don't memorize the comics I read but I do recognize the plot and the scenes that I have experienced in the past. There's no need to load every single chapter you haven't experienced. Just keep track of the last chapter you know that you've read and you'll know that everything afterwards is unread. I do assume that all the chapters are accurate in their numerical order.

Firefox is able to restore your tabs in the event of a crash
Wow. I guess tabs automatically close themselves when you don't need them?
Just grab a piece of paper and write down the latest chapter you've read.
Also webnovels are trash. You should be ashamed of yourself for reading this shit.

So exactly like bookmarks except less autistic?
Have you considered that your workflow sucks?

I also don't memorize a lot of the names of the shit I read, the series for which I await new chapters I have bookmarks that notify me of an update. But for series I have yet to read or not done reading all of, I leave it as an unloaded tab as a reminder until I feel like reading through all of it.

So instead of having visible tabs with icons and titles above your browser to always remind you of shit you have to read/watch, which you can quickly sort and scroll through, quickly being able to open an already existing tab with the URL bar, while also being able to just middle click to close any you don't want to see anymore... no, you instead want to an ugly, huge-ass, readme bookmark folder, full of bookmarks you will open only once?

This is the steps you have to take with bookmarks: you find a page you want to come back to later so you ctrl+d it -> click the dropdown menu and add it to the readme bookmark folder -> later -> open bookmark folder -> open bookmark -> do what you wanted to do -> close tab -> open bookmark folder -> right click and then delete the bookmark.

If you seriously do this, then it isn't my workflow that sucks, yours is a fucking huge time waster compared to mine.

Are you aware of the Bookmarks toolbar that Firefox had since literally before v1?
Ctrl + B + start typing to search all bookmarks
Wow, so slow.
Middle click on bookmark. So slow.
How is this different from an ugly, huge-ass tab bar though?
you find a page you want to come back to later so you ctrl+d it -> later -> CTRL + B find your bookmark -> middle click to open it in new tab -> do what you wanted to do -> ctrl + d remove bookmark -> close tab

These are the steps you have to take with your autistic workflow: you find a page you want to come back to later so you leave the tab open -> later -> desperately try finding the right tab in all the garbage while the OS struggles swapping all the memory around which is needed for your retarded workflow -> finally find tab, do what you wanted to do -> don't close tab because you might come back to it later -> complain that the browser sucks because it can't handle over 9000 tabs
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compulsive_hoarding

How is that any different from trying to find the right page among your hundreds of bookmarks? Ctrl + B search is no better to want I'm doing, at least when I open a session it places me on the exact tab where I left off and don't have to find shit.
Implying all the tabs are loaded, they aren't, they barely use up memory until I click on them.

The difference here is when I open my browser everything is exactly the same as I left it and can even choose the session that had everything that was days ago, while you have to go searching through your damn bookmarks. I'm done replying, continue to use your inferior methods if it so pleases you.

Because you can organize your bookmarks into folder, apply tags to them and search them.
Guess what: Bookmarks also aren't loaded until you click on them.
Ow, the asspain.

I did this too. I had a waterfox installation set up just to reopen all those nexus mod pages (about 1400).
Sometimes it crashed but after one crash the tabs were gone and I was like: fuuuuuuuuuug

unbased

based

based

unbased

unbased

based

based

unbased

based

unbased

based

partially based

saged because browser thread
kys browser weenies

Palemoon.

add-ons:
eMatrix
HTTPS Always
AdBlock Latitude
Eclipsed Moon

No thank you
unbased btw

Suit yourself. It's definitely not as bleated or even nearly as sluggish as firefox. This thing runs quick, has plenty of themes, has anything you'd expect from icecat, which is essentially a watered down tor browser, without the bloated feeling, and the constant GNUblocker shifting that annoys the hell out of me. It just werks.

In current versions and using same extensions, Firefox performs better than ungoogled Chromium for me, and I wouldn't call it slow or laggy, in fact it's pretty snappy.

The performance difference becomes bigger as their caches, cookies and other junk fill up. Firefox remains speedy even with over 500 MB of junk data while Chrome/Chromium performance starts to suffer around the 200 ~ 250 MB mark (which nowadays can mean just a few hours of web browsing) and slows to a crawl above 500 MB. Chrome needs regular maintenance to remain fast.

On the performance side my only problem with Firefox is that it displays lots of vertical screen tearing while scrolling pages with hardware acceleration on, while Chrome with hardware acceleration has no tearing issues.

But in the end I'll agree that all modern browsers are complete shit, the modern web is complete shit, and ultimately it's not a matter of which browser is best but which is less shitty.

based

furryfex plz

They could look EXACTLY like they would on a non HiDPI screen unless somebody can't manage to do integer scaling right. Or you can let smooth it if ya wanna.

I have a similar setup on i3. Try this in the config file.

exec_always compton -o 0.25 -i 0.25 --inactive-dim 0.30

followed by $mod+shift+r

or restart i3 if changes don't show

Don't worry about that scrubbo user.
I currently have 700 tabs open.

After some tranny forgot to update the security certificate and unintentionally disabled everyones add-on's I switched to pale moon. I am not going to use something that can remotely disable parts of my browser. This was unintentional too imagine if they actually wanted to get you...heh have fun with this pozzed browser.

If you had tree tabs you could bookmark all 50 of those tabs into a specified folder and then delete it when you're done.

there are certain things you can add to your mozconfig when compiling firefox, those will disable certain telemetry related stuff but still, if you're using the internet, you are a part of the botnet.

Reminder that google will be removing functionality that allows ad blocking to work properly because they captured enough of the market now.
Waiting for the Waterfox split.

Attached: 1010.mp4 (1280x720, 1.15M)

this