Systemd Clocks In At More Than 1.2 Million Lines

archive.fo/UjvQp
archive.fo/UjvQp/01acac8b9166ded8cb344c08af45ffaca6bf9636.png

Five years ago today was the story on Phoronix how the systemd source tree was approaching 550k lines so curiosity got the best of me to see how large is the systemd Git repository today. Well, now it's over 1.2 million lines.

After surpassing one million lines in 2017, when running GitStats on the systemd Git repository today it's coming in at 1,207,302 lines. Those 1.2 million lines are spread across 3,260 files and made over 40,057 commits from nearly 1,400 different authors.

Systemd saw a record number of commits last year but so far for 2019 it's hard to see that record being broke yet again. So far this year have been 2,145 commits while last year saw 6,245 commits while 2016 and 2017 each saw less than four thousand commits total.

Lennart Poettering continues being the most prolific contributor to systemd with more than 32% of the commits so far this year. The most other prolific authors this year include Yu Watanabe, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek, Frantisek Sumsal, Susant Sahani, and Evgeny Vereshchagin. Around 142 people have contributed to the systemd source tree year to date.

Other urls found in this thread:

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
twitter.com/AnonBabble

everybody is checking if that 1.2 million lines are safe, right?

Meanwhile you can get all the functionality of systemd in less then 20k lines using different software that runs better for memory/proccessing, is more auditable, and secure. You just have to install 20 different packages instead of one.

Absolutely fuck no are they. How long would it take to write over 1.2 million hello world programs with 1400 different people working 24/7? Makes me wonder how much of the code contribution is just some artificial intelligence using systemd as a test bed to replace pajeets in programming by generating code, that is shit thereby making it the ultimate machine code abstraction for C/C++ or whatever systemd is coded in.

ofc, goy. there are 6 million eye pairs constantly monitoring SytemD's code at all times. Just trust me.

Attached: Oekaki.png (500x250, 12.78K)

Cniles strike again! Unicucks brain damage doesn't seem so great when it's in your court, huh?

Nice try but Mr Smith said systemed was based
Try again shill

Will there be a holocaust memorial in Systemd's source code once it reaches 6 million lines?

Attached: karen question.png (963x720, 598.34K)

Oy vey stop questioning systemd made by (((redhat))) gov contractors goy, nobody would ever look to compromise every distro availiblew in 1 strike!

Attached: selectors-1024x768.png (638x826 37.47 KB, 102.42K)

Stop looking at the leaks goy

Attached: tao-2-1024x768.png (703x524 91.3 KB, 78.83K)

Holly shit, Poettering is insane.
I've just checked and the Hurd (kernel) has 400 thousand LOC and entire Guix System has 1.2 milion LOC (where most of it are package definitions, whereas the actual software is much much smaller). The only reason he didn't started his own systemd distribution is because he wants to have every distribution on his side.

SystemD is just turbine 2.0 for linux.

I hate this kiked up ZOG paranoia fueled commie Panopticon they are forcing us to live in, safe to say stalin would be proud. The people responsible for shit like turbine need to be executed, literally sitting there illegally stool pigeoning/mass surveillancing people who've done nothing wrong.

By security concerns. Should we go use non systemd?

this is dishonest. systemd is many components so acting like it is 1 giant blob of code is not true

for the thousanth time systemd is Red Hat (now IBMs) effort to centralize internal components of linux distributions
will that fuck a lot of stuff up? it already has
i guess the goal is to finally have something as "reliable" as internal proprietary Windows NT kernel components

That could be a good goal, if it was actually the case, and if it was done competently, unlike systemd. But it will never happen because dude open source software is shit. Incompetent people never make anything good. But it's worse than that, because we are talking about disorganized incompetent people, many of which also happen to be malicious. Even the better versions of Windows weren't exactly reliable, but these people will never surpass even that. Everything will just keep getting worse. If you use your computer for anything other than posting here, you are fucked no matter what. Maybe that is even their goal. Current year developers don't want desktops to be usable, they want to force you to use shitphones to run rented software on Google Chrome. That's what they actually want.

Burn it.
And burn him.

I remember 2004-2008. I remember how this started. I saw cuck-admin after cuck-admin capitulate, again and again. Give up all ownership of their systems, serially, and with glee. God damn them all.

Lennart Potterning is Communist China, and only favors communism because he's at the top of middle mgmt position. Kill him, turn off his lying arbitrage of code position, and kill China.

This. If one company invested in doing so that would already be the case but they don't want to.
Even M$ made a fucking phone spinoff of their OS and the desktop version was supposed to be replaced by Windows RT which can only run UWP apps from the windows store like Android or iOS. I never used it so I'm not sure whether it even has a file manager.
I'm sure you could still pirate those but what use is that if you go back to 1-2 applications at a time with every UI element 3x the size because muh fat fingers.
Another effect of the store centralization would be the death of independent application releases on random websites which makes up most Windows software and M$ getting a cut of all commercial Windows software like on XBONE or Sony on PS4.

Lennart Poettering doesn't have the brain power to think his way
out of a paper bag, he's a fucking retard. I mean I've talked to
him, I know who he is, he's a dumb bitch and if he ever fucks
with me, if he ever puts me into some sort of self defense
situation and I have to legally defend myself, I'm not going to
initiate violence against him but, if he comes at me in an
alleyway and tries to do anything, I'm going to fuck him up so
badly, I will put him in the fucking ground in a fucking box. I'll
take extra time, it won't be a quick self defense situation, I'll
be nailing him, I'll be punching him in the back, I'll be punching
him in the back of the neck, I'll be boxing his eyes in, I'll break
both his orbital bones. I'm gonna destroy Lennart Poettering
physically, so badly, that the people who come to clean him up,
they're gonna be puking when they see what I did to him. I want them
to know how I feel about him, so I'm gonna fuck him up so bad that
he makes them puke when they see his bruised mangled body, If he
ever did anything to me to warant that legally. Now, I would never
ever initiate violence against him but, that's what would happen.

systemd is a mess. a big. fat. mess.

Lol, maybe spend your energy on something useful, like supporting systemd-free distributions or on teaching people why systemd is bad. Lennart is replaceable and I bet there's a cloning machine in RedHat's headquarters basement, that's the reason Lennart wrote more than 32% of commits himself - there's more of him.

easy now, cowboy. we're Zig Forums here, not /nigger/

that's copy pasta you idiots.

systemd is bad but it's also equally easily avoidable. So is udev. Instead of whining around you people should just do that. I don't really care if some posers idiots' Rasperry Pi is botnetted through systemd by the NSA. It just makes me a harder and more unattractive target. Powers that be will always try to jerk you around in every way possible, that is not news. They're also often represented by inefficient bureaucracies run by nepotism and corruption. Just learn to avoid them, they're a lot less clever than you think.

You're pretty based. You can come over to my house and fuck my wife.

bloat

[citation needed]

Obvious bait.
Here's your citation wikipedia fag, read them all.
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd

this by itself is the main thing i'm running systemd free. i don't need cgroups and all the other billions of "features" it has even if they're making soydevs' jobs easier.
same goes for pulse and the rest of the poetteringware. i don't need consolekit and polkit to just get audio. and the whole thing with audio production requiring pulseaudio is a meme. i'm able to use a everything i need and want with alsa and apulse. i don't need bloat.

protip: Hurd is not a kernel program

What are you talking about? How does that address the idea that systemd is actually 1 giant blob of code?

protip: that's how microkernel architecture works
Now fuck off, i know what the Hurd is.

Microkernel architecture works because Hurd is not a kernel program. Hurd is actually a platform that is made up of numerous binaries and its purpose is to replace the traditional Unix kernel; I repeat Hurd is not a kernel program. Many people are confused about what is the nature of Hurd and they continue to spread confusion about what it is. You clear up confusing by being precise, not by misattributing attributes.

Ok you're right I said that it's a kernel, but the Hurd actually is more than a kernel, because it contains one - GNU Mach. It isn't a typical Unix kernel, but a microkernel with set of protocols and servers around it.