Wanting to reinstall your OS after using it for a certain amount of time

See subject
Is there a name for this psychological phenomenon? Like the need to just want to clean everything up and start fresh again? Is it just caused by general OS rot and dependency hell? Are there ways to solve this?

Attached: Windows-XP-Home-Edition-32-bit-ISO-Download-Windows-XP-Home-Edition-Features-758x570.jpg (758x570, 35.91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

spyware.neocities.org/articles/ccleaner.html
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html
gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2019/documentation-video-creation/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It comes as a result of multiple reasons.
Firstly being the end user's general lack of organization, having config files, textfiles, iamges and other media littered throughout your home folder with no reason to it's placement.
The other is a lack of organization from the operating standpoint, a good example of this is dotfiles. Dotfiles are all located pretty much in your home folder, but in the home folder there is no order to any of it.
Some can be in .config directory, others in .local some may just be directly in your home directory.

Other example would be /bin and how almost all binaries are located in there without any catagorization of it's importance. not a problem on bsd systems

Of course, none of these effect performance, just how you keep track of things.
When you find yourself having to check 10+ different directories to find a ny given thing it makes you want to start all over from scratch.

The biggest issue for me is dependency hell and systems that have no sense of what libraries left on your system from past installs are still needed or not so they just end up scattered around taking up space

Only when shit hits the fan or actual upgrades/changes to the system that I can't get, for example GuixSD allows me to install packages and rollback in case i fug shit up and is extremely easy to make my own packages and publish binaries to other people or myself securely.

Install GuixSD today, you won't have dependency hell or shit fucking up.

Just do what I do and sort everything you have on the desktop in folders.
Then use CCleaner (or some less chinkshitty alternative) to clean out the garbage.
Defragment your drive/s and delete all the things you don't need.

Of course, if you find it more viable to switch to a new OS (Linux preferably), install either or Hyperbola. If you're more of the "Proprietary" type, just install either MX Linux or Kubuntu.
Either way, immediately back up all of your personal stuff on your USB Stick if you're going to do it.

Not likely. Cleaning your computer is a normal part of life - you clean your computer in the same way you clean your room, but things like Windows are unfixable and it is actually easier to do a fresh install. If you could do the same to your room, you would just remove your room, and then set up a new one.

Totally this, Guix System solves dependency hell and upgrades breaking your system.
They had changed the name to Guix System, because it was confusing to newfags. GuixSD name was cool, but we should avoid it now...

It is a spyware
spyware.neocities.org/articles/ccleaner.html
bleach bit is a free software replacement, but anyway using Windows is the core problem
I heard an opinion that defragmenting just hurts hard drives, especially when you use a file system different from FAT. Modern (or just more modern) file systems like ext4 or ntfs are fragmentation-proof, unless ou have over 80% of the disk space occupied. But if OP uses picrel, then he should.
If you run Windows 10, which you shouldn't do anyway, you can try some Windows 10 debloaters from github.
Sorry user, I don't want to be mean, but Linux is actually a kernel, whereas GNU/Linux is the system.
gnu.org/gnu/gnu-linux-faq.html

Windows xp is notorious for losing performance after a while. Don't know how it happens, whether registry hell, drivers, viruses/exploits, hard disc fragmentation, etc. They seem to have improved things with windows 7, but who can say for sure?

It's a chore to reinstall the OS, but you gotta do what you gotta do. The software equivalent of pressing the restart button.

lol no. Just uninstall all your games and change your wallpaper or some shit.
Yeah all the time. It's due to fucking nigger design of people dumping trash in the only folder the user is allowed to use.

This. I really hope that Ludovic and his soyboy gang get #me-too so that someone who is not a cuck can take leadership of the project instead. Functional package management is a far superior design.

I don't think it has so much to do with time as it has to do with Windows update. My sister has a Windows laptop that used to boot within seconds and was really snappy out of the box, but once all the necessary Windows updates were installed it came down to snail's pace. All this performance loss within the span of a few hours.>Install GuixSD today, you won't have dependency hell or shit fucking up.

Wanting to reset to defaults comes with a system heavily dependent on state and configuration. Your system is the result of millions of tiny changes and sometimes you just want to start over.

Why won't you just go and install OpenBSD like other woman-raping anons? Guix is polluted by a CoCk, so changing the leadership won't make Guix usable for you anyway. And those 'soyboys' actually created a great piece of software, so muh joos and muh cuck ideology doesn't work here. Go and make your own distribution and package manager so you'll be deciding who's taking leadership.
And also how is making a great functional package manager and the official GNU distribution being a cuck?
They're actually making useful video documentation and I don't see any rainbows in the source code.
Those 'cucks' are the people, who contributed to the system, they made it successful and they're the part of the distribution too. Accept it or really write your own system, fork Guix it is free software after all, whatever, but don't bitch about changing leadership, while contributing nothing and doing nothing instead.
V-2 rockets are sooo cool, but I don't like nazis, hope someone who's not a nazi can take leadership of the project instead! Build your own rocket...

Faggotry

so, windows?

That's called low IQ.

I usually just do it as an excuse to jump to the next distro release.

Being a cuck does not make you a bad programmer. Being a cuck makes you a backstabbing piece of shit who will throw other people under the bus the moment there is the potential to white-knight for m'lady. That's what I'm afraid of.

As for the video documentation, how about improving the text documentation instead? Video documentation is a bad idea for software, unless it's a visual type of software like image- or video editing. Video documentation is harder to maintain and gets faster outdated. They could have instead spent that money to get someone to improve the written documentation, but then they might have had to pay a man for it.

Newsflash gramps, the 3rd Reich has already fallen.

Only for Windows. Never for my macOS machine or GNU/Linux machines.

They're actually making scripts for creating video documentation in an automated way.
gnu.org/software/guix/blog/2019/documentation-video-creation/

My "Cleanup Routine" is as follows for Windows;
1.) Run WiseRegistryCleaner (gets shit CCleaner doesn't. I know the Windows Registry doesn't actually need cleaning but my OCD demands it anyways
2.) Run the Windows built-in Disk Cleanup tool
3.) Run an older version of CCleaner
4.) Run Bleach Bit
5.) Run Ultradefrag (The GPL version) and Windows built-in defrag on my D drive with the following batch script;
defrag D: /Hcd C:\Cleanup_utils\ultradefrag-portable-7.1.1.amd64udefrag.exe -o D:
Then just run the Windows driver optimizer to trim my SSD boot drive

It looks like a lot of shit to do but I only do this like once a month

Attached: 1434658038357.png (300x300, 4.83K)

That's pretty cool!
My personal clean up routine for Windows is to install gentoo

What kind of cleanup program is that?

Attached: 858ae481c31bc7499c98877634b4660607db959de379bf2c15899cfd3c1201d3.png (353x332, 69.38K)

I have never once done this.

A mi me da picazon de culo y formateo la computadora

Zig Forums is an English language board

You reinstall Windows because NTFS is awful and corrupts and fragments your drive and makes it slower.

For the past few Windows versions actually the automatic defrag has typically been more then good enough to keep NTFS defragged on its own
The reverse-FUD doesn't work famalama

NTFS is propreitary software, therefore FUD by default.
Don't blindly trust things from (((microsoft))) they're partnered with FUD and even helped build china's social dystopia.

There isn’t one way to solve everything. Sure, if you have time, analyze a single system for a week trying to figure out which files or reg entries are corrupted, which update hosed the system, which virus you downloaded from 8ch—-or be like most people who actually have to get work done, say, troubleshooting 100 other machines, or, having a working system for a project deadline. Blow it away and start clean

This is a completely normal and healthy activity for a blossoming technician yet to experience the joys and wonders of migrations and roaming profiles. Protip, get comfy with USMT and your reinstalls just got a whole hell of alot easier.

I didn't know this was a thing. I might actually use this. I'm going to be moving soon and I want a nice fresh install to go along with it after I'm settled and this current install is like 3 years old now and I have old shit everywhere

Attached: computerheppy.jpg (418x299, 16.84K)

Just read up on the documentation. The app.xml is the biggest pain in the ass but well worth the effort. The methods for discovering what what to include in your xml work.

Protip, window/system32/migwiz.exe found in windows 7 installs works in Windoze 10 as long as it's right where it's supposed to be with whatever libs it needs.

Anti Linux shill. You haven't even listed windows' negatives.

You can still install non-free packages with Guix, sure it's not in the spirit of GNU to install non-free shit but it's more for desperate measures.

I wasn't aware of this change, eh I might as well call it Guix System. The only true complaint about these functional package managers is that they're totally different from UNIX design but in a good way. The cons of building from source (can still download binaries) and having packages based on user & version taking up disk space, etc. is outweighed by the advantages and programbility that these package managers offers. Lisp isn't too bad, except the standard conventions of where you place your brackets irks me

Interesting as I have gone through this. I'm not sure what to refer to it as, though I can give my experience. As a few people mentioned already, Windows does, or at least did slow down over time. I am not sure about newer releases as I stopped using Windows in 2007. Anyway, my first OS was Windows XP and I remember reinstalling it frequently because it would slow down so bad. It didn't help that I was also using a weak system. The habit carried over when I first discovered GNU/Linux. I would install certain software and then uninstall and be compelled to use tools like bleachbit or tweaking tools to clear whatever I could, just like when I used Windows I would defrag and use whatever programs I could to make the system as snappy as it could be and feel clean. I would reinstall my GNU/Linux distro quite often when I felt that the cleaning tools were not enough. I had the idea that a fresh install would equal a faster experience.

I used to waste so much time doing this I finally realized it and stopped. GNU/Linux generally doesn't slow down, though I have heard people say it can over long periods of time if not properly cared for. Anyway, I focus more on using the machine to help me rather than worry about it degrading. I use bleachbit and clear my packages every now and then but it is not a compulsion anymore.

It never did, retards were just too dumb to defrag regularly. Modern releases do not have this issue because modern NTFS is partially self-defragmenting and Windows scheduled defragger is not shit anymore

Oh yeah and most new PCs have an SSD boot drive as well

I remember an old story from Windows 2000 days where the defragging software was not made by Microsoft (fun fact: lots of Windows' subsystems are in fact not made by Microsoft but bought proprietary IP from other companies, same as lots of CPUs, GPUs and ARM SoCs etc. really.. these things are very rarely the 100% brainchild of the company that puts it's logo on it in the end) but by a company whose founder had close ties to Scientology. This lead to an honest-to-god, legit investigation by the German government to conclude if the defragger was actually spying on people or poses a security threat otherwise. To understand that you have to know that Germany historically has a big beef with Scientology and sees is as a harmful sect and a threat to democracy and german gov. computers weren't allowed to have Software by a company with such ties. Can you even imagine a government legitimately worried about potential spy software on the end-users' systems anymore? That was in the late 90s/early 00s when governments didn't grasp the power of the internet and people having computers yet. Nowadays they'd try to hit Microsoft up to get their own access to that software backdoor. It's a long and convoluted story and it's apropos of nothing, I was just randomly reminded.

Anyways, in early days these systems used to get legit slower because of bloated registries and people installing all sorts of crap with terrible installation routines that often wouldn't properly uninstall the programs and were allowed to do whatever to the system. Issues these installers caused were often not of malice, just out of pure laziness. It's easy to forget now but Win9x also often would not handle driver updates well and that also often lead to tons of problems that were usually fixed the quickest with a reinstall. Then hardware drivers ended up being slightly less of a mess and the faster computers got, the less the bloat payed a role. I think nowadays it's just kind of a myth and people stick to stuff like ccleaner etc. because it's what they know from the earlier days, it's just snake oil (at best) at this point. That all being said, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft slipped that one update here and there to make an old Windows version perform worse to make newer ones attractive. Apple did that shit too in the past.

I switched away from Windows for good in the early 00s because I hated how Microsoft locked me more and more out of the machine since DOS. ( We all know now how that turned out - didn't even know half the story back then) The only sane way to run windows now is for games in a VM. If I feel a pirated game did something weird or something got screwed up in some way, I don't bother finding out what happened (which often is a fools errand anyways) and just revert to an earlier VM state. That's the only way to deal with a proprietary OS.

Blatantly lying isn't really necessary for your post. I doubt you were even alive back in the early 2000s or were otherwise not even old enough to use a PC

Attached: 3fa6f3b2e79232077e3117d574285aa22088c8f1df911dcdf21ca7b81662ca90.gif (400x300, 819.02K)

Heh, I wish

If you don't install Windows updates and don't install shitware you will have an indefinitely "snappy" system, assuming you're using Win7 and under. Windows 8+ is too far gone.

Or just get an SSD boot drive and never worry about system responsiveness

System responsiveness isn't magically attained just by buying a SSD. That's a 4chan-tier comment. Disabling dynamic tick, background services and processes, and having a monolithic CPU are what contribute to system responsiveness.

Remember when ESR Predicted that due to the "upcomming" Windows 2000 release being predicted to have over 800 million lines of code it would be a broken piece of shit that would crash and would be continually delayed, leading to "The Year of the Linux Desktop"? Good times. Classic times. Better times.

It's called normal. That will be $29.95. Pay at the front desk.

Sometimes I want to reinstall DOS because I have TCP drivers for my NIC but I would have to write a program to do all the HTML handling.

Necessary in Windows because of clutter accumulation. Happens on Linux, too, but generally stays out of the way and is more modular.
Usually people want to reinstall Linux, too, if only to try different distributions or avoid the clutter that can occur when making massive alterations to a current install.

Personally I've spent years making tweaks to get towards the ideal: a thin operating system to boot from while maintaining files and software elsewhere. You can strip Windows down to the bare minimum of what services you need, make it take up a tiny partition, and then freeze it so no changes persist on reboot. Linux can similarly be packed down to a tiny size, and you can always put it in a squashfs or load it into RAM on boot. If it never saves to disk then it can run super fast and just reboot back to the freshly-installed state every time.

The solution is to decouple everything from the operating system itself, pare it down, and then make it so every boot is effectively a reinstall. You'll find that, as you implement this, the time between reinstalls increases.

I'm on Scientific Linux 7 now, and I can tell you that you are exactly right. The last time I had to reinstall was a few months ago when I was experimenting with the Radeon Pro drivers for gaming purposes. Couldn't get it to work after a minor kernel + xorg version bump, couldn't remove it properly. Firefox would crash on sites trying to use some webgl (amd forums). Solution was a clean reinstall.

So I do that. Then install updates. Then EPEL and Zfsonlinux. Nice thing about zfs is that it can remember it's own mountpoints. No fiddling around fstab for me. Then I enable flathub and install my flatpaks. Thirty minutes after a fresh reinstall and I'm playing GTA online again. Spend five more minutes copy/pasting from a saved bash history and I have my bridged network rebuilt and permission to run kvm machines as my user. Then services are restored. Finally I can reinstall my gnome shell themes. I've been thinking about putting that on a zfs partition since everything else is as well. I also keep my save game files in their own datasets for snapshotting reasons. Been thinking about automating it to once at boot at least.

Less than an hour later and full functionality has been restored.

I'll be switching vendors as I upgrade in the next few months. I have One Raging Asshole Called Larry Elison Enterprise Linux 8 in mind. Rumor has it that they have more of financial incentive to maintain a good clone than other competitors. I've been thinking about skipping installing EPEL since the only thing of interest there is dkms. But it's also nice to know that vendor also tracks and maintains their own epel clone repo so no third parties outside of flathub, and they don't touch the os directories. Can also expect a performance boost from the upgrade as well.

Attached: c8-wide-0.png (4096x2138, 368.14K)

Non ironically im using XP but i need to update urgently. Downloaded the Win10 x64 ISO from the M$ website. So, besides burning the image to a pen drive what do i need to make it usable and updated? Where do i get a magical key that actually makes it work, please?

Attached: oldfags winxp.jpg (640x427, 293.63K)

10 is for retards. but you only need to install

Install Gentoo.

More than oddball...Gentoo is just plain retarded.

Sure, it's nifty to play with. But, it's the basic philosophy of Gentoo that is broken (for anything other than a tinkerers OS). Nothing can be predicted in a Gentoo system, and no Gentoo system is the same as any other. Lots of fun, and infinitely customizable. But, in a server, you need to know where you stand--and being able to experiment has far less value.
I'll happily concede that portage has done wonders with a rather complex problem...allowing custom on-the-spot builds of everything, and being able to upgrade and install most of the time without resulting in a flaming pile of wreckage. As long as the philosophy is "anything you want, even stuff that has practically zero testing, and all built from scratch while you wait", Gentoo will remain unpredictable and unreliable, and occasionally insane.

Every package and option that Gentoo provides is a new variable...something new that can go wrong. You cannot test that many variables, no matter how smart you are. And, of course, I don't think the Gentoo developers are particularly smarter than the folks behind Debian or RHEL or Ubuntu, though they may be as smart...but to be as successful with their chosen philosophy they have to be significantly smarter and significantly more numerous, because they have to solve far harder problems and on a scale never before seen. A very basic grasp of combinatorial mathematics tells me that Gentoo will have several orders of magnitude more possible failure paths than RHEL or Debian.

Anyway, if you opt to stick with an entirely stock install of Gentoo (by some definition of "stock") you will get a system that has as few variables as RHEL or CentOS or Debian or Ubuntu, which is a win. But, you lose the things that make Gentoo unique (and exciting for some folks)...and you get a system that is tested by a tiny fraction as many people as have tested RHEL, CentOS, Debian, or Ubuntu. Not only is the userbase dramatically smaller, it's also fractured into thousands of unique distros, because so few people are running a "default" Gentoo.

What always amazes me is that the Gentoo developers don't realize what a mess they've signed up for with the choices they've made. They do have some awesome documentation, though. That may be a side effect of a system that is so vaguely defined...anyone that wants to accomplish anything with it has to read a lot and know a lot, so a lot of docs get written. I dunno.

Attached: cinnamon.png (1920x1200, 1.06M)

Buy a Win10 Pro 64 key or something on ebay for a couple dollars? All they do is have MS reset OEM keys, and resell them. Legit, gray market at worst. Just don't try to make a business of building systems for retirees using this method. MS gets pretty pissy about people not paying full retail price for legitimate Windows installations.

Do what said and use Windows 10 AME.

Windows high exposure syndrome

Yes, FreeBSD, MacOS, and Fedora Silverblue do.

If I just download this straight from their website and install it will I run into activation trouble if I don't have a valid Windows 10 Pro key?

Attached: 5db8c8169634c245261b4cff0ed8b8531ee3bd8869bedaba388058e6253f1de7.jpg (500x500, 69.15K)

It's only natural if you're on Windows, it still fattens up and gets slower over time like in the old days, although not as much as it used to.

Absolutely UN FUCKING BELIEVABLE, like, can you comprehend this shit? You even had like at LEAST 20 years of perfection, since the NT kernel came out, to fucking get your shit literally together. And what is the consumer rewarded with? What the SHIT? Slack-ass fucking system. Absolutely fantastic. And people pay for this shit hundreds of green bucks, ya know? Fucking joke system and fucking joke company.

There is technically no age requirement for using this board but you should still be at least 18 to post here kid

Nigga shut your stupid bichass mouth
This board is clearly full of literal kids, menchildren, fat trolls and larpers, and I'm gonna do whatever the fuck I want.
I'm over 30 BTW

Go back to reddit and take your coon-babble with you, retard

Yaknow what they say about retards?
They say "If you're having a conversation with a retard, maybe he does just the same thing"
Now shut your retarded mouth the fuck up
You, and only you have derailed this thread with a 1073046 post, you continue to do so, and basically you are braindamaged shit person with zero self-awareness.
Now SHUT your piehole, cut your fingers off and go cry yourself to sleep, faggot

Imagine being over 30 and typing like a 12 year old

autism

Attached: this.png (586x94, 760)

just run KMSPico you nigger

I remember using that years ago and wasn’t sure if it still worked on modern Win10 builds

It worked on my machine :^) but I think it said something about having to reactivate it every month. Haven't had to do it since though so maybe it was just fucking with me.

KMSPico also includes auto reactivating

Eso solo pasa cuando estás burde ladillao y no tienes mas nada que hacer

umad?