On how we are being cucked by residential buildings

youtube.com/watch?v=RV7pmE4MC-I

housing politics is connected to society and very much pol-itics.
here Ill expose the (((construction industry))) and tips Ive noticed on how to choose/build a house unheard before from your (((real estate agent))).

Attached: framing-placas-osb.jpg (800x600 118.17 KB, 152.44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bse58aGfJ0M
youtube.com/watch?v=p5qVxAoKwbE
youtube.com/watch?v=nnN5zsY2SrE
youtube.com/watch?v=Lj10evnclNA
youtube.com/watch?v=-5jpB2n58RM[/youtube]
thoma.at/moon-wood/?lang=en
youtube.com/watch?v=xw5n-5uoGbU
youtube.com/watch?v=1UI8OQPH_jw
theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/06/the-jews-who-designed-the-american-home/372208/
thedailybeast.com/jewish-immigrants-fathered-modernism
bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-11-21/-100-billion-chinese-made-city-near-singapore-scares-the-hell-out-of-everybody)
minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/mapdata/construc.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

these are principles to look for in buying or DIYing, Ill go in details…

1st principle - BREATHABILITY
2nd principle - SIMILAR PHISICAL PROPERTIES
3rd principle - INBUILT "FLEX" / IMPACT ABSORBTION
4th – HAT and BOOTS
5th - if you mix materials mix them HORIZONTALLY (gravity will prevent significant movement), avoid vertical layering of different materials as much as you can

Attached: stone_alpine6.jpg (1200x715, 220.77K)

1st principle - BREATHABILITY

All walls need to "breath" enough so that moisture will never be trapped anywhere. Modern building materials used by contractors are the worst ones to use. They trap moisture and cause problems that ensure job security for the contractors. Vapor barriers rot houses from the inside out simply from bodily perpetration and cooking moisture. Using vapor barriers requires a host of other support systems to ensure the entire thing actually works just enough to keep contractors from getting sued quickly. That's the main reason why you have extremely old masonry houses and castles still doing well today, yet there are so many modern masonry houses that are falling apart, yet both are well kept and not neglected by their occupants.

youtube.com/watch?v=Bse58aGfJ0M

Attached: insulation4.jpg (640x393, 95.47K)

2nd principle - SIMILAR PHISICAL PROPERTIES

all materials need to have similar physical property's
for example a house from bricks with lime mortar is going to last forever because lime mortar and bricks have similar stretch and flex.
now that house gets repaired with cement mortar because its faster and cheaper and the repaired wall is going to get many cracks because concrete is much harder than lime and harder than the bricks.

same with timber construction houses which wood survived the rain for more years than the USA is old get a new coat of paint.
the people use new latex waterproof extra chemical paint and the wooden beams are compost after 20 years.

why? because MC Paint is going to get a small crack and traps moisture behind it and because its water tight it can never leave the wood until your house collapses.

PS-fuck McConstructors killing it all with McPaint and McTyvek wraps

pic rel - notice that its framed by joinery and not by steel screws. that house will last +100 years

Attached: stone foundations stave church.jpg (2202x1489, 1.09M)

3rd principle - INBUILT "FLEX" / IMPACT ABSORBTION

Just like God creates man with a brain that floats within the skull in spinal fluid to embrace the impact, house need to do the same. Think judo, embrace the attack, dont fight it heads on.

Earth moves constatnly and McConcrete breakes, McRebar gets wet and enhances braking of McConcrete.
Stone foundations are "flexible" that is why they last so long. Similar principle goes with stone/brick walls.

Attached: stone_pantheon_no_rebar_2000years.jpg (838x627 138.52 KB, 136.12K)

4th – Hat and boots

self explanatory - rain/moistuere/ice protection, if you are under the rain, you absoltuly need waterproof boots and wp hat/umbrella, rest is personal pref

Same as with protective clothing - most hardwearing clothing are your helmet and work boots, EVERY reliable house build has respected that principle and is built on quality foundation and a roof with a solid overhang

Attached: house_half_timber7.jpg (3371x4107, 2.38M)

5th - if you mix materials mix them HORIZONTALLY (gravity will prevent significant movement)

while layering vertically does give solid thermal properties, it is bound to fail since it isnt compressed by gravity but with moisture and expansion its just a matter of time for your facade to portrude.
Building a thicc monowall with double layers of brick or thicc logs is a far superior option.

Attached: house1543772349376.jpg (800x800 270.58 KB, 50.84K)

Is this the US? Is this what it has all come to? Niggers building houses out of fucking chipboard, for whitey to spend the rest of his life paying a mortgage for? Holy fucking shit.

Attached: 1g11oohs7dft7t731fg37ecgbho27c.png (239x234, 17.66K)

So basically the scam of construction industry is everywhere, think about your ROI on house, mainintence and mortages…how long until you have to cash out 20k for a new roof? another 20k for termites, another 50k for foundation repairs?

Now think how much cheaper houses would be if you could be them used?

yes, Im also not from US, americans are getting globally SCAMMED. That isnt even wood, but an OSB board (leftover wood with glue), all that stuff is very bad for your health.

Attached: house price 1920s sears.png (758x598 1.8 MB, 117.38K)

OH SHIT IT'S MOTHERFUCKING HAT AND BOOTS FUCKING BUILDANON
I LOVE YOUR SHIT HAT AND BOOTS MOTHERFUCKING BUILDANON THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE
I HAVEN'T SEEN YOU IN MONTHS SINCE YOU WERE ON Zig Forums BACK WHEN

Did janny ban you for posting this on 4/pol/?

tiny houses=total yuppie meme as well

what up niggz? some McContractor used care salesman fags report me every time I post there, I get a ban every time as I did yesterday (it was only around 150 posts in thread).
Im not regular on infinity, how do I embed yt links?

Attached: house half timber stone village.jpg (2457x2873 439.58 KB, 671.66K)

OP this is great info and everything but how the fuck do I actually get a house that adheres to these principles?

What contractor is going to follow this?

Won't it cost an absurd amount since you're basically expecting the contractor to build a custom house?

also regarding wood that is used in todays construction…its of such a bad quality that you should avoid it entirely (RC beams + red brick is a more reliable option, not high quality but far superior than low qultiy wood houses).
Left is an old pine (probably 100yo before cutting, right is young pine probably 20yo).

COUNT THE GRAINS!!!! young pine has like 2 grains per cm, that is bizzare, no wonder termites eat it trough

Attached: wood pine young vs old.jpg (1073x1431, 233.51K)

again, my proton is "wwa2" drop me a line

that is a challenge we all face, what country are you from? We should first try to build a network of craftsman and nobel tradies who want to do good work. There are plenty of good traditional craftsman in America as well but they never get big projects.

Keep in mind that if you dont have basic building knowledge yourself, no ammount of money will guarantee you a good house.

here are some good guys

youtube.com/watch?v=p5qVxAoKwbE

youtube.com/watch?v=nnN5zsY2SrE

Attached: wood1535396848001.jpg (640x506 150.54 KB, 221.16K)

check out this bs that is sold as "authentic living", architects are idiots

youtube.com/watch?v=Lj10evnclNA

Attached: tinyhouse2.jpg (1438x960, 255.46K)

been here
there's actually a runic scratching engraved on the women's side,
its a really amazing structure, this is the back side btw, it located in oslo highly recommend visiting its also near an old fortress if im recalling correctly, great flat bread

Thanks for the suggestions. I am from America.

I'll be developing my construction knowledge over these next couple of years for when the time comes that I can afford my own home.

Daily reminder that the average time to leave a house that's on fire has dropped from 15 minutes during the 1980s to 3-5 minutes today.

Attached: warehouse.jpg (580x855, 95.62K)

The pantheon is concrete fam. Most of the lasting roman structures are fughueg concrete slabs.

The materials aren’t that expensive but the labor is going to absolutely rape you.
A buddy of mine does woodworking for a shop that makes home furnishings - tables, bookcases, things like that. Their markup percentage is measured in hundreds and yuppies eat it all up.
Craftsmen are rare, good ones are rarer. If anything this thread should further get it into people’s heads that learning a valuable trade is better than going to college.
I’d be willing to bet places with big foresting industries as well as ski towns which have lots of cabin style houses probably have a higher supply of these sorts of craftsmen.

They also don't have pieces of iron mystery alloy inside them to rust, swell, and crack them from the inside.

It's all just a total scam and no-one does anything right. New builds are made to meet a price with pinpoint precision, with every corner cut to the maximum. Old builds are invariably a time-bomb. Builders are greedy bastards who employ people they don't know and pay them pittance and then lie to your face and promise that 'their guys are the best'. Architects, surveyors and planners are crooks who profit off the privileged. Companies fold and appear like it's China to get around duty of care and warranty.

Tradespeople in my country want quick, easy jobs. It's taken for granted now that they just juggle multiple jobs at a time to maximize profit (meaning you can wait weeks between visits if your job isn't juicy enough) and they can comfortably walk away or do a shit job if they don't want to do something right because it's too hard, and the processes to deal with this are too weak and slow, and that's if they show up at all because they just load up their schedules with jobs and miss your appointments if a better job turns up.

In my experience, all the tradespeople we've had have nominated either unsuitable or the cheapest and nastiest materials, which we've had to intervene with every time, ranging from cladding to roofing materials to insulation. Most of them have no idea about anything, and you should never take advice from people who aren't engineers about such matters, because they'll tell you anything to get/save/finish a job in a way that suits them. Treat them like car salesmen, get EVERYTHING in writing (we're talking details about material type, source, spec, finish quality and requirements, ad nauseum) and be hostile in your approach from the beginning, regardless of how friendly they seem, because at the start, everything is fine and doable, all details are not a problem, until it comes to delivery time when they stiff you and I guarantee you that you don't have time and funds to pursue a protracted legal battle even if the odds are stacked in your favor. Everything you didn't care about they'll use to fuck you in the end if it doesn't work out well.

Continued:

We've had tradespeople who stole raw materials (lead sheeting, old large hardwood beams, etc.) and tools from our site. One builder (recommended as a "good guy" by a tradesman we trusted and liked) didn't fulfill the contract we agreed on, walked off the job after a disagreement (we wanted good finishes and he had a big job on an apartment complex come up that he wanted to move on to) and sent debt collectors after us in the end (thousands of words in emails back and forth later).
Another quoted us for rendering our exterior walls, and failed to note that if you're rendering walls you need to paint over the render with a surface treatment or it isn't actually weatherproof (noted in the manufacturer's documentation, clearly), thus trying to sell us a finish not fit for purpose, which is why all the cheap ass render you see around cracks and develops stains (not surprising, but still disappointing. Properly rendered walls have a paint feel, not a sandy feel). His firm did a good job despite this, but got really antsy about the time the job was taking in the end and cut some corners. Still one of the better experiences.
We got stiffed on a re-roofing job by the tile manufacturer's recommended roofer - the job was supposed to take three days (way too short), ended up taking months, they knowingly installed tiles on roof angles too shallow for the tile, meaning that they leaked, used dubiously sourced factory seconds which were ridiculously fragile and didn't bother to do any prep work on the old rafters, etc, meaning that they were all uneven. Years on and the roof still leaks - we took them to court and they eventually agreed to settle for the court fees after months of lies and outright fabrication, and now we need a new roof.
We had a guy doing epoxy floors in our work buildings, one of which has two big untinted skylights which shine direct sunlight on the floor and the other which has a door facing north, allowing full sun exposure, and 'forgot' to add a UV blocker to save his costs, thus causing both floors to turn an attractive urine yellow - we had to get the manufacturer to send a rep to inspect the work and he ended up redoing it at cost months later (a triumph, but a big hassle).
We had a guy excavating soil in front of our house to do rendering, who promptly eroded the foundations and collapsed part of the wall, who then left the country. The first set of tradespeople we got to fix this dumped the job because it was too hard and tried to charge us $7000 for propping up the wall with some timber.
The guy who did our cornices (another recommendation) (cornices are his 'specialty') attached them crookedly, which takes forever to rectify with sandpaper and plaster and never looks right up close.
The guy who installed our workshop doors didn't install any weather seals so water comes in when it rains.
The guy who installed our new shower didn't install door seals so water goes under the door in a great flood whenever anyone has a shower.
The guy who tiled our bathroom didn't bother to ensure that the tiles were angled to make the water drain to the floor drain, meaning that it just pools around.

And so on, and so on. I have many more stories.

I've had to become learned in heaps of shit I don't give a flying fuck about to either do it myself right or get a decent job done. I've bought thousands of dollars worth of tools I didn't want because I have to be an expert in everything now to get shit done (don't skimp on tools or you pay twice. Don't buy chinese either). In my area, noone wants to deal with old houses with complicated problems because there's hundreds of new houses and apartments going up that need simple shit done that they'd rather be doing.
I'm renovating the family home (built in the 40's with a shitty, unsympathetic renovation in the 80's) and it's all fucked. I'll be 300K in the hole to get it done right so the house is worth anything in the end and has a unified style and look. My main blessing is that I have a job that pays 25% more than the national average wage to fund all this insanity.

Home ownership is a misery.

You don't.

In fairness, it's volcanic 'superconcrete'.

[youtube]youtube.com/watch?v=-5jpB2n58RM[/youtube]

what is womens side of the building?

Do you know the methods of cutting wood they used in stave churches? Was there the period of the year when wood was best for cutting? Ive also heard about birching the wood before cutting methods but Im no expert on traditional wood cutting.

thoma.at/moon-wood/?lang=en

*Roman concrete

Its more similar to lime mortar than todays waterporous crap we use.

unless it kills your lungs from living in that shitbox, every single part of those houses creates asthma.

Attached: wood_church_stave_norway.jpg (710x450 3.02 MB, 344.18K)

those old churches used to split the congregation so that women would be on one side and men on the other

at least thats what to tour guide leading a group around said

Indoctination in construction nihilism starts from college.
The absolute human garbage in construction is hard to believe until you see it first hand.
check this out (dont mind the non embedded link)
youtube.com/watch?v=xw5n-5uoGbU

Attached: framingOSBslide-5.jpg (440x597 248.93 KB, 76.54K)

the number one purchase/payout is on housing, 50percent of americas (((millionaires))) do it through housing and real estate the whole industry is fucked.

I don't really need to. This is my life now. It's been years of this.

I've actually seen that video. That's the same class of shit we're dealing with. People who just don't give a fuck. The difference is that Americans seem to have a stronger system to deal with these fuckers. Australia has no such protection.

On a similar note, have you been following the tower that's become structurally compromised in Sydney? Harrowing stuff.

Ive said this numerous times on half (before getting banned), Americans should build like continental Euros (dont worry Im not an eurosnob love America, v8, big tits and Im a muscle car men ).

REINFORCED CONCRETE BEAMS
RED AIRED BRICK
REINFORCED CONCRETE ROOF
TERRA TILES

This is a standard build in Croatia. Problem is that you dont have airebricks, not to mention that red bricks are also rare, that is probably intentional to keep houses prone to fires, earthquake damage and in need for constant mainintence.
To have no misunderstangings, RC beams+ red brick cant compare with legit stones, but for cheap build its another world compared to OSB crap.

ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS! THEY ARE SCAMMING YOU!
watch the most pleb shack being built below and see for yourself

youtube.com/watch?v=1UI8OQPH_jw

not familiar, I started these threads after Ive seen Mirandi bridge collapse which made me question everything new structurally speaking.

Attached: house_croatia_brick_cement.jpg (500x470 102.82 KB, 25.13K)

this method is:
1.cheaper
2.faster
3.earthquake resistant (RC beams are very good for it)
4.fire resistant
5.more moisture resistant

again, this is not a build for millenias like solid masonry, but if you build pleb, do it as best as you can

guys we should really start some kind of guild or smth

Attached: house_croatia_pleb_shack.jpg (780x520, 277.89K)

I personally hope it collapses and the construction industry gets fucked by the mother of all enquiries. And then Trump fucks China in the ass and their economy, and ours, collapses.

Croatia doesn't have the best houses in the world
hollow brick and cement isn't good quality build.
It is cheap, made for plebs

Wood is used because it is cheap, light and fast and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it.

There's a good reason brick houses are only a couple of stories tall, and that isn't quality

Mind you whole upper floor bricks sometimes fall out in earthquake.

This is at least a decent build. But you don't gain anything by using bricks as you can make a whole house completely out of concrete. Only reason it is, is cheapness.
Concrete however always decays, as does rebar.
They are not permanent materials, even wood isn't. Stone houses last 500+ years. That is the only material that will. Look at old torched and decayed castles. Everything inside has rotted away but walls are still standing.

However, building house for "a very long time" today is completely irrelevant. You build it for 50 years, that's how much you will live and that is that.

rebar is needed for modern structures. The romans used the mass of their structures to stress the concrete, we use rebar in tension. Without this our concrete would be many times weaker, and we would have to make structures fucking massive if we wanted to achieve the same compressive forces needed to strengthen concrete.

We call it particle board, and yes, it's garbage. All the McMansions are made of it, and even plywood is miles better than this crap.
I buy old houses and renovate them. If the bones are sound, the rest can be repaired, and the house will last forever.

A google reveals that it is possible to purchase stainless steel rebar.
For anything worth time, it sounds like that would be worth using.

what a bunch of lowlifes, those apartments are some peoples livelihood, no wonder these is so much mafia in construction

it doesnt, I said, this is not a build for the ages, but average up to 100years lifespan build, for the money and time its brilliant.

Its a plebshack, but solid plebshack, we never have problems with them. Comparing RC+red aired brick with solid masonry is like comparing DeWalt with Festtool.

Ive never seen that here.

Nope. It would be too cold. Aired red brick is somehow a good isolator. Krauts pic rel use harder Yandex bricks instead of RC beams but do RC floors, we most often do beams in RC.

good job!

Attached: house_standard_europe.jpg (700x467 30.84 KB, 74.99K)

there is a place and time for modern methods, not everything needs to last +50 years, but its usefull for the house to last longer to give it to your kids etc.

Attached: concrete mcrebar explosion2.jpg (640x427 123.37 KB, 52.77K)

Definitely, pure iron is fucking cancer in structures and requires way too much maintenance.

the arch structure is 2000yo and still solid and livable btw.

mind you, old school croatian house are solid masonry with 1m thicc stone walls. Ive seen some local idiots repairing them with concrete instead of lime…imagine the damage on stone blocks with time…

you mean a lot of jobs for union workers?

Attached: split_croatia_diocletian2.jpg (640x434 1.58 MB, 98.53K)

Yeah concrete is in my opinion mostly relevant in hurricane/tornado zones for housing, since it resists wind damage so well. Much better indoor climate in homes built with solid principles and natural materials.
Most of the catastrophic cracking from rebar rust is also related to bad design. I've seen 50+ years old reinforced concrete in marine environments that looked fine.

it would be ideal for plenty areas in america + its very fire resistant, there is probably a strong anti-brick and anti-RC lobby there. Its insane how underdeveloped brick industry is in US

Attached: brick-Vault_of_Roman_Bath_in_Bath_-_England.jpg (1920x1280 94.08 KB, 96.45K)

You would be correct if we lived in an era of prosperity and one wherein people didn't disperse after finishing high school for the sake of university or jobs. I.e., they would actually remain in their ancestral home. I mention prosperity because if the neighborhood goes, there is no point in living there regardless.

dubs checked
pic related

Attached: embed.PNG (359x300, 11.6K)

OBS builds from early 2000s collaps from moisture already

not entirely true, entire america NE is old build, those builds are still worth capital. Its always good to have that kind of capital, if people dont live in it now, they might live in it later, either way, you dont have to build more times than once not to mention that mainintence costs are lower.

No different than buying or selling used tools - quality keeps its value.

thanks

Attached: house_framing_img-5515-tcm23-156436.JPG (847x565 647.38 KB, 106.86K)

I always find it really weird yeah. I saw a documentary about an American town that got obliterated by an EF4 tornado. Only structure standing was the concrete high school, everything else was turned into twigs and insulation foam.

also, not to seem that Europe is only capable of making solid houses, these are some solid old houses from US (compared to the other picture made by state of the art "technology")

almost as if its in someones interests to make you loose your home isnt it?

Attached: house_stone_download.jpg (2560x1920 773.55 KB, 973.16K)

Fuck. I gotta go to bed. Building a home is something I've put a lot of thought into over the years. IF this thread is alive when I get up, I'll write a massive post about what I think my perfect home is.

Short version: reverse brick veneer passive solar.

guys, would americans dig this kind of stouty build/design? Its everywhere here in cro.
Im might go there and start making bombproof houses with red bricks for you and get mega rich. If I dont get sabotaged by Italian or Croatian construction mafia…

you can always contact me on my proton "wwa2"

Attached: croatian shitshack red brick with facade.jpg (800x600 143.55 KB, 102.05K)

It's also usually illegal. Go try to build a stone walled castle and see how quickly you get shut down by neighborhood/city council or HoA nonsense. And even if you DO build it, they'll just force you to tear it down.

I'm going to make it my life's work to bring back joinery to construction in some form.
Even though a steel fastener is technically slightly safer in case of a break the way we think of it today.
The absolute state of American construction seems terrible user, glad a champion like you exists!
Also wanted to say; Great thread!

Architecturally it looks like a "projects" house, some government funded welfare box for niggers to live in. The only difference is in America those are made of wood. Cheap wood. Like, the cheapest wood. Even if you tried to sell the better materials, the appearance still makes people think of a "bad neighborhood", e.g. the black side of town.

I also think you're seriously underestimating the cost of a completely brick house. Even regular-ass bricks are expensive as hell in America and only the most premium homes even come with a full brick fascade on the outer walls, much less having the walls actually BE brick. Getting them made of special holey brick would be even worse from a price standpoint.

We're looking at something that would cost $500,000 but looks like it's a government subsidized projects house.

OSB

I am glad that someone with such experience posted on this subject because something slightly off topic has been bothering me of late and I have been curious as to how they pull it off and what the big scam is because I know one exists but I just can't figure out what it is exactly.

What is the deal with "affordable housing" being used in states now to take land and alter the real estate of communities? I notice this especially happens in this (now) Communist controlled states of OR, CA, etc. There has to be something to it as there is no way a developer would willingly take a financial loss.

I get it, its the "nothing special" look, but its extremely utilitarian - good use of space, good durability and great thermally. People even do concrete roofs on them.

Either way, the cost wouldnt be that far from cheap wood/osb houses and you would get FAR more from it.

Attached: croatian shit shack red brick concrete.jpg (1200x800 111.38 KB, 334.55K)

Modern "architecture" is disgusting and bland. Our people deserve better than bland, cookie cutter "townhouses."
Suburbia is designed for slaves.
White people need White architecture.

Attached: Bled2.jpg (799x533 563.31 KB, 106.29K)

those type of houses here cost from 130-200k usd. But that wont be replicated in US markets since you dont make the needed materials.

Attached: croatian shit shack red brick concrete4.jpg (640x482 282.81 KB, 123.47K)

Sounds good. Throw in some old growth timberframe guts and it's a good rural house.
Now if you want a real construction redpill, check out Prevailing Wages. It is the reason shitboxes are built and the reason shitboxes cost so much.

Reminder guys, there's a jew behind everything. If there isn't, you just haven't looked hard enough yet

theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/06/the-jews-who-designed-the-american-home/372208/

thedailybeast.com/jewish-immigrants-fathered-modernism

thx for the friendly reminder user shouldve known

your ancestors would be ashamed

If I had to guess, it's large financial incentives from councils and the state (giving developers preferential deals for land ownership/rights, preferential deals for government projects, preferential consideration for requests for zoning changes, etc, and maybe tax breaks?), as it seems consensus is that there is a deficit of housing in OR and CA (meaning that the people in charge will be using policy to incentivize construction) (regardless of the number of empty houses; basic bitch economists insist high house prices indicate a lack of supply and that housing can be a commodity as well as an investment) coupled with the big construction firms all being well oiled machines who know how to churn out passable shit with a tightly controlled project scope (with superficial changes to differentiate projects) and a tightly controlled financial bottom line.

The reality is that building cheap and nasty copy and paste shit isn't expensive, particularly when you've got all your supply lines
and labor crews sorted out in advance and (hue) put in concrete, and you've done it a dozen times before. If your upstream suppliers know you need X amount of materials at a given time with regularity because all you do is build the same thing over and over, things get pretty straightforward.

As an example further afield, I read that the Forest City island construction project (bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-11-21/-100-billion-chinese-made-city-near-singapore-scares-the-hell-out-of-everybody) only needed to sell around 1/3 of properties on it to be profitable, so the developers didn't even break a sweat when China implemented its restrictions on money leaving the country. I think the outrageous scope of the project combined with that fact illustrates the point that these things are very carefully calculated for risk.

Behind these big construction companies are bean counters running the numbers, and, in the absolute worst case, they can just close the company and go home and rest easy.

Imagine…RWBuildSquads?!

RWBS guild to phase out the weasels in construction?

Attached: house1534674478211.jpg (970x600 504.23 KB, 211.1K)

First of all, I just have to thank you for such a great thread. I find it kind of amazing that spending on housing takes up so much of our income and time, but topics such as this are so rare. We are all definitely getting majorly screwed on the type of materials that we build with. Only the cheapest will ever do for people's families in this day and age. In the old days, a man would build the best house he possibly could for his family, using the best materials available to him.

As someone who is planning in the next five years to sell his shitbox and move out of the diverse hellscape of urban Canada, this topic couldn't be more relevant.

My father has been in the building industry his whole life, first as a building inspector, and then as a contractor trying to sell higher end materials that last as long as reasonably possible. From him I got the inspiration to go and build something that will last as long as possible, using natural materials that don't contain cancerous compounds.

The challenge in my part of the world is dealing with the cold. Winters here can drop as low as -35C, so houses need to have extensive insulation. How does one build for the long term while insulating against this kind of cold?

oh man…Ill tell you, I cant even sleep properly in modern houses, best sleep of my life was in a stone house with 1m thicc walls and that was in blazing summer hear without AC.

thich brick walls or solid wood or even thick rock. Rock is cold but a big thermal mass, trick is to build a basement to take the warmth from the ground in winter (surface is always colder than deeper ground in winter), but rock is complex.

If you have bricks, try pic related…another thing you can do is rock foundations+wood log top floors. Look OP video, they did a crazy good job.

Attached: insulation rock wool house3.jpg (600x372, 256.09K)

A lot of these shady american construction methods have been coming over to the UK lately.
While brick and mortar is still mostly the norm. We're seeing ever greater use of American methods on interior walls, resulting in a lot of houses where you can easily put your arm through a wall or in one hilarious case I saw literally walk through a wall with little resistance.
American methods for outer walls fortunately remain rare. As brick provides too much thermal insulation to pass up and non-brick houses take a severe hit to their value here in the UK.

The American brick industry is underdeveloped for a couple of reasons

First is the whole manifest destiny thing. Because the US population kept spreading westwards there was a consistent construction boom requiring quick easy construction. Brick isn't quick or easy for the second reason.
Second reason being material transport. Due to the USAs size and the difficulty of moving large quantities of anything, they relied primarily on local materials when building. This inevitably meant wood was the go to material. Brick is most efficiently made at large brickworks where there is an ample source of suitable clay and due to its weight in bulk is not cheap or easy to move in large quantities. You'll see more brick buildings in coastal areas due to it being easier to move brick in bulk by boat and potential nearby clay deposits.
Which leads us to the third. Simple material availability. Wood was plentiful, it was everywhere in huge quantities and readily accessible as a building material requiring little in the way of specialist equipment, locations or facilities. Plus you'd be clearing out a lot of trees to build anyways.

This map shows a current rough idea of clay deposits in the USA suitable for brick production
minerals.usgs.gov/minerals/pubs/mapdata/construc.pdf
Bearing in mind this is by modern standards of suitability not older ones which were far more lenient.
Also attached are two images comparing commercial clay deposits in the USA and UK (which has a much more highly developed brick industry)

So yeah. It was somewhat inevitable that brickworks in the USA would never really take off and this has had a negative effect on the US construction industry as wood and flimsy construction are normalised in your building standards and expectations.
The reason stone didn't become the dominant material is manpower. Quarries remain extremely labour intensive even now. And quarried stone has incredible transport issues of its own. Since most construction was done by future residents in the USAs early history there was no chance of them relying heavily on stone, though many did use loose stone for various purposes.

And of course money is always a factor especially these days.
LAnd costs a lot of money and you can't cut corners on it really so cutting costs on build quality is an easy way to boost profit.

Attached: Technofile_6[1].jpg (859x572 44.57 KB, 68.04K)

Affordable housing is a direct answer to the claims of systemic racism; there's preferential treatment for women, minority, and veteran business entities where there's usually a certain percentage point of the total project cost goal for participation of the entities. In competitive funding sources, the inclusion of those business entities achieves one points which are compared to like developments to decide who gets an award. Also part of these federally funded projects where the name comes from is the inclusion of what's known as Prevailing Wage.
Prevailing Wage is essentially a premium on union wages but for a specific project during construction. Not real numbers but for example, bricklayers make 60/hour, carpenters 50/hour, piledrivers 100/hour, truck drivers $40/hour and because it's federal and there is a monitoring of a percentage of the total project cost participation of women, minority, and veteran business entities all these numbers are tracked and ensured with soul-crushing compliance reporting. The Prevailing Wage is said to ensure that local workers are used and they are paid a fair wage but the local guys won't deal with it because the reporting is too complicated. So it leaves niches of middlemen and shysters and dedicated entities who exist solely to do compliance reporting for these projects. There are some genuinely good companies out there but they are few and far between.
To even build on a federal scale with these materials requiring these skillsets would cost so much. It's doable but it would cost so much and get fucked up so much along the way. Private entities should be encouraged to pursue these building methods though. This new construction material standards is garbage. Everything falls apart in 15-20 years no maintenance or if abused by affordable housing tenants.

Brick also requires a more specific skillset. Not every area had or has those resources. The UK has a ton of wood shingle shacks with large stone foundations because those are the resources available. Lots of slate up there too.

how do you insulate walls in UK? can you post a crossection? here its like this but big aired brick>>12617407

I mean, Scandis also build in wood, only stone foundations, but their wood builds are of very high quality, USA wood builds are just shit.

You're being cucked by zoning laws more. US zoning is confusing shit. I get cordoning off industrial zones but the zoning laws are like 90% of the reason the US has such shit traffic and why it takes like 2 hours to do anything.
Because you can't have a convenience store on the corner of your street, you have to drive for 30 minutes to go to the McMarket which is right next to the McBurger which is right next to a insurance agency's office for some fucking reason.
You can't live close to your non-industrial job either, because that would be too simple. No, you have to live 9 miles out and across the highway from it. Obviously! What, are you stupid?! Why would you want to live in a convenient walking or cycling distance from everyday things like a store or a cafe or your place of work.

It's why the mom-and-ops are dead, it's why traffic is only getting worse, it's why the US doesn't have cafes, it's why people don't go out, it's why the community culture is dying since the last thing keeping it together - churches - are also dying, it's why the US is slowly becoming an antisocial traffic jam where nobody gives a shit about anybody and internet points are all that mater since that's the only place where you're actually socializing.

Don't worry, though, us Europeans aren't far behind either.

UK has a lot of different kinds of construction but its very unusual to see wooden walls.
Wood shingle roofs and even thatched roofs are still a thing in some areas but have gotten a lot rarer over time.
Slate is pretty common in many parts of the country because its widely available in some parts of the country due to large slate deposits.
Again tying into the whole availability of materials defining a regions construction norms.

I recently pondered about the influence of large mall operator companies on zoning policy. I think there's a strong link there.

Attached: federalgroup.png (1086x2048, 1.96M)

I'll second that. Coupled with building codes, it's why we all have to live in stick-framed houses with plywood shells and all wrapped in tyvek. It's why that one house that is held together with joinery would never pass inspection. Not only does a building code somewhere say you have to use approved fasteners, but pretty much all the inspectors out there interpret it to mean that you also can't use no fasteners. Brick or block or poured concrete housing would be much more energy efficient year round, but no city or township will let you build one for the simple fact that they have to be able to burn you out of it, should the need arise.

Peoples' best bet is to build a brick or block or poured concrete structure in a light commercial zone, and wall off some sections in the back of it (ostensibly for offices, a break room, bathrooms, and so on) and then to live in it. Also, probably, having a reason to build a commercial building would probably be good. A roofing shop or a sheet metal business would be good cover.

*Physical

In the UK since around the early 1900s most new builds have been what are called cavity wall construction.
Wherein you essentially have two layers of brick (different kinds) with an empty space between them.
The air provides some insulation and the methodology mitigates damp problems that are common in the UK due to the climate.

But the standards and general expectation of thermal insulation changed with time and now its become very common for these cavities to be filled with foam based insulation materials as a retrofit.
Cavity wall insulation services are very common, reasonably priced and very effective for increasing insulative properties of a home. Essentially they plug up the gaps in the outer layer intended for condensation, stick a couple of hoses in and start pumping in the insulator.
Measures of course need to be taken to ensure no damp problems emerge. Typically through the choice of insulative material and rectifying any existing damp problems the property has at the time.

On newer builds adhering to the proper norms, they will fit insulative material to the interior of the external wall. Leaving a channel for damp to pass and drain out of the cavity.

sadly we do not have much access to bricks, especially the large, hollow type you see across Europe. We have mostly wood here.

The rock foundation sounds like a good idea. I will watch the video.

renting > owning unless you're rich

As I laid out earlier. The US brick industry is pretty much non-existent.
Last I checked the USA only really produces a handful of speciality brick types. Even then its mostly for domestic use as existing brickworks in the UK and other European nations produce a vastly superior product.

On top of that a decent trained brickie is very hard to find in the USA.

user that's stupid and you're stupid for saying it.

What are your thoughts on modular homes?

Attached: ZYHKXqk.gif (250x188, 783.91K)

No you're dumb, do what rich people do. Move to the country get a real house and commute to work. Not what hipster faggots do, rent 2k+ a month houses

Attached: e258d69a9ee0753253c3b818db8ede674e8be4c73389f020a7124e4d956a5dc7.jpg (954x960, 96.16K)

No.

They could work if they were crafted well, but they often aren't. They're often architect wank proposed as solutions for housing for low income areas/the homeless. Modular container homes are a total scam as containers are wholly unsuitable for building construction, particularly in a stacked context.

I think the Germans do them OK, but as with anything crafted to be a certain way, they lack the flexibility of a standard house.

Great thread, user. Do you know much about Hemp crete??

Shipping containers can work as housing. But not terribly good housing.
You've got to be prepared to accept the inconveniences and downsides.

its not really suitable for anything thats going to bear any load.
Not bad for insulating tho.

Attached: tumblr_nv0hk3MDPP1r5ajivo3_1280.jpg (1280x1707, 287.25K)

Is it true that Americans don't have radiators below their windows?

this is very interesting, how is that system compared to insulation on the outside? isnt it better to just build a thicc monowall? Im afraid of the longevity since principle No5 >>12617006

mostly overpriced memes

yes, its similar to fiberglass concrete, but well see

Stay poor then tard, already rich ppl can afford to stay in the city for work but they loved outside of it until they could afford it. Most actual rich people live in 1/3 of what they make.
They all shop at Albertsons, North face, the gap and a specialty thrift store in town full of nice used clothes
Lived here 12 years, you wouldn't know any of them are rich except you'd think they were assholes

Pic related, rich guy

Attached: 20181230_094423.jpg (715x953, 402.96K)

I fail to see whats wrong with a commute, other than becoming part of a traffic jam.

Attached: 1523147989682[1].jpg (582x449, 59.64K)

Better for insulation and easy to run wires though, but not very strong in my experience, comparatively. If you start tampering with bits of it, it's exactly as strong as a single brick wall, unless you're looking at it in a holistic structural perspective and it is never caused to change due to external influence.

I think his AR 15 may be the most expensive thing in that picture.

Insulation and a central furnace eliminated the need for those decades ago.

Considering he got a shit tier sport version with no FA, maybe not. It's a fucking .22 LR from the looks of it.

even grug know fire metal not real fire metal unless horse fire metal

I politely disagree, but thanks for answering me.