The Zizekian Horror of Spielberg’s “Ready Player One”

aussiesta.wordpress.com/2018/04/07/the-zizekian-horror-of-spielbergs-ready-player-one/

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 87.24K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ffNlrGRrY9Y
youtube.com/watch?v=2246g7AzbMc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A little poison now and then makes for pleasant dreams…

Attached: 963F7C00-1B52-426B-B078-74683DF881D2.jpeg (524x400, 35.55K)

Tbh it was pretty good tho, at least imo.

That's enough.

Spielberg is my pick for worst director of all time.
People make fun of tommy wiseau and ed wood, but these two are irrelevant and while incompetent as fuck they did out of passion and tried to do something unique in the room case.
Spielberg on the other hand ruined cinema and all of his movies are the same shit all over again. 90's to now Spielberg is a crime again cinema, transforming whatever theme or whatever experimentation into a product of mass consumption. Not trying to be an elitist here, I like Hollywood poison myself, but I'd rather overdose on virtually whatever other hit maker of his generation rather than him.

Also this critique is literally the same reason why I can't stand tarantino. His movies operate on the same level. Name calling, pop culture reference, mish mash of everything and in the same way they have 0 self awareness, they are to occupied by trying to be cool and quotable.

I mean, I liked the movie but I don't really have an opinion on Spielberg hinself. He has made good movies, but I wouldn't really call any of them masterpieces.
That being said though, I much prefer Tarantino over Spielberg.

Spielberg is so unintentionally horrific. The safety and familiarity of suburban middle-class culture is the most frightening aspect of his works.

All it takes is for one single un-programmed event to throw the entire world-view bubble into chaos.

No wonder school kids are so easily triggered into becoming active shooters.

Would you say directors like Spielberg and Tarantino (hotshot, big name directors that the masses recognize) have become worse over the years, from when they first came onto the film scene, or that they have consistently from the beginning had a detrimental affect on film?

I don't necessarily study film, but from what I can tell movies like Jurassic Park and Jaws were not that bad. In fact, iirc Jurassic Park made a breakthroughs in cinema for CGI, which still hold up to this day. I won't deny that between being a work of art and a rollercoaster of a film, Spielberg has consistently produced "rides" (wherein you go in, turn off your brain, and have thrill or whatever). This isn't bad in itself imo - the problem lies in repeatedly using the same cliche elements to create your film, which Spielberg is definitely guilty of. If he actually tried to make a new viewer experience, where you couldn't tell what was about to happen (or how the whole film would play itself out, for that matter), he wouldn't be such a disease.

Of course this is to ignore his effect on other directors, which if anything just multiplies the shitty aspects of his work.

That's what the ending sounded like it was saying. Not that I expect anything to come from a hollywood film, they don't have substance, they have shock and awe. It's entirely an excuse to make the viewer go 'wow, how much money did that take to film?'
Taking a flick seriously is a mistake in itself. It's like watching teletubies and expecting calculus.

Don't forget the half-ass retarded social criticisms that Hollywood is pushing into films.
Hunger Games - There is no hope in changing the system, a revolution would only mean putting another despot in power, so the best you can do is try to improve your own condition (to "win" the Hunger Games)
The Avengers/Pretty much any Marvel movie - Teamwork is important!
Wonder Women (in case you forgot it existed) - Women stronk, also it's okay to massacre people so long as they're on the other side (the enemy was literally just German sods during WW1, but I guess they already used the Nazi's crutch for Captain America)

the list of this stupid shit goes on, and americans will always clap

Oh dog, they made a movie of that garbage?

Imho they were detrimental since the beginning. Jaws was the movie that killed the american new wave and the more bleak works of spielberg gave Hollywood the ways to make a seemingly ambigous and adult movie into propaganda with mass appeal. Most of the faux edginess of war movies and political movies these days comes from Schindler list, munich and save private Ryan. Schindler list, like Kubrick said, was a movie about a person saving people, not about the holocaust. I name Schindler list because it's considered bleak, while in reality it's really a tale of hops. Bleakness would have telling the true story of Schindler and his opportunism in the light of the holocaust. Munich is a tale of terrorism in an age with no ambiguity whatsoever except for a couple of tits and saving private ryan is another tale of how scary is the war, but somehow is still an eroic thing.
See the pattern here? I can take serious concepts and make them as mass marketable as possible. This said spielberg lost his influence as a director in recent times.
Tarantino on the other hand will be the most influential director for the next generation imho. His damage wasn't immidiate but started about the same time he was shooting kill bill, were it was clear that this guy didn't mature with success. Also kill bill was the first movie in which you see that he's starting to cannibalize even his catalog.
An example of director who aged well is scorsese imho. 2000 scorsese is so so but The wolf of wall street is a movie that is really conscious of the 10000 scorsese clones out there and parodies his own style and in a certain sense condemns in a "scorsesian" way how is style is used to glorify. It basically a testment to everything he did and the work of a mature artist who stopped giving a shit to the point of making fun of the public sometimes.
On the other hand Tarantino never acknowledged the copies that he spawned and never matured, he just wants to be cool, quotable and be part of whatever category of directors he likes.
Basically tarantino is the consequence of a higly consumerist society where even the most obscure grind house movie becomes a cool hot topic t shirt.

Btw most of spielberg movies were revolutionary for technology, but it's not like he invented technology. He just could afford it before anyone else.

so is spielberg the artist of neoliberalism? was jurassic park attempting to justify the bourgeoisie?

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (361x316, 208.79K)

No, that's James Cameron.

This is the best way to describe him. Like reagan he took america away from the bleak reality of the 70's capitalism into a world of spectacle, patriotism, american exceptionalism and black and white thinking. The park of jurassic park exist only because a billionare wanted to create an innatural and artificial existence of Dinosaurs because he liked them as a child, causing all sort of fucks. But in the movie everything is alright because his easygoing and eccentric

Observe the cultish behaviour of leftypol: just because their god (Zizek) hates a movie, leftypol has to hate the director, Spielberg (one of the best and most genius directors of all time).
plz

Considering that his Jurassic Park was way less anti-corporate than the book which was written by an insane paleocon I'd say yes.

lol

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (632x280 67.77 KB, 39.42K)

Is it just me, or does the choice of making a dystopian film set in the near future with a lighthearted tale sort of feel like the government trying to "ease" the population into accepting the terrible conditions we're going to see in the future?

Yes.
youtube.com/watch?v=ffNlrGRrY9Y

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (480x360, 235.88K)

Attached: 1361561233791.png (287x250, 68.75K)

Attached: e495a5363cd4a2bad70a2e2e99592ccebca5c7d968aecbba19bbe57a43abdfe9-leftypol.jpg (600x733, 127.7K)

It is tho.

To be more clear, the "teamwork" of the Avengers can be defined as a number of exceptional individuals getting over their petty disputes and, often not even actually cooperating in any tactical sense, working together to take down the bad guy(s). You don't see the Hulk and Ironman actually needing each others help (here and there you might see something "cool," like the hulk throwing someone, or Captain America shielding someone, or some other hero punching/kicking some guy as another hero dodges the attack) - they each go on their individual rampages that happen to be against the same enemy.

This sort of individualistic teamwork (if you could even call it that) emphasizes elements antithetical to proletarian organization. I'm reminded of Occupy Wall Street and how some speakers kept mentioning how the protesters are all coming together out of their own, personal free choice. This ignores how we are compelled to organize out of necessity, and how we actually need to work together: not in such a way that we all are able to express ourselves as individuals, but actually operating as one. You cannot mount a successful or even hopeful uprising without its members actively working together to accomplish tasks impossible for individuals on their own.

No I always hated spielberg and loved scorsese (which zizek hates). I always considered him an idiot. I explained in lenght why I consider him the worst.
Also, he's a zionist

Attached: Screenshot_20180407-195458.png (720x1280, 219.53K)

Tbh i fucking loved AI Artificial Intelligence, does that make me a pleb

Fuck you, I'm still waiting for the Teletubbies calculus episode.

Fine - what do you think makes Spielberg a decent director?

I've been wanting to sperg out about this.
For one, the book was WAY cooler. I read it years ago, but it is grittier, and the twist really made me think quite a lot.
With a pretty cool and brain dead choice to copy and paste, I'm pretty pissed they didn't.
Secondly, in the book the vr made sense, in the movie it was grandpa tier and showed zero fucks for a coherent world.
The vr world works off of a single headset, and people actually move around to play. At one point everyone (for the lolz?) starts playing in the street, and they are literally doing backflips in the street. This couldn't work, you'd run into things. It's that simple. It's ridiculous, especially compared to the cool coffin style of vr in the book. (It's even metaphorical, they "die" in the real world to live in the vr world; you can also see it as them being vampires).
Thirdly, the twist in the book is just BARELY hinted at and isn't even developed in the movie. In the book, the main character is a great hacker who irl lives in the stacks, and doesn't really meet the people he plays. In the movie, there is no hacking and he meets his friends ~half~ way through. In the book, there is a grand adventure, in the movie they more or less go through no issues until the very ending. In the book, there are seemingly (faux?) human ais that suffer from some sort of neuro-degenerance, with the movie having none of the sort. In the book, the main character ends up being one of the AI! He was (if I remember it was at least implied) specifically designed to be the succesor to the creator. Basically the tests for ownership have a designed successor, which is smart because it increases the chances of a successor existing and still functions as a test. His whole "real" life in the stacks is actually just more vr, and he is suffering from the brain disease and his only hope is the ownership of the vr world he inhabits. In the fucking movie however, he's just a normal fuckoff that wins 500 billion in stock due to his extensive worship of the necromancer god king that is the Oasis creator.
Fourth, the newly minted billionaires shut down the labor camps in the oasis (cool, I guess) but then close it on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This world has immense poverty, and for many people, the Oasis is their life. It was Parzipal's (the mc) life, but now that he's a multibillionaire, he doesn't need it any more, so he can make a quip about how "Life should be lived" and arbitrarily deciding people can't use it. Parzipal no longer needs the virtual world to feel like king, because he is king of the virtual world which makes him a king in the real.
Also, he has access to a button that would destroy the entire oasis. At any point, he can remove years of work from everyone on the globe. With how important the Oasis is, it might as well be a functioning silo of recreational nuclear missiles.
I'm done now, although I still have more to sperg about honestly.

Nothing bad with being a pleb, but that movie is blasfemy.
For the first 30 minutes spielberg does an A grade job at copying the rationality and coldness of Kubrick (kubrick wrote the early draft of the subject and wanted to do it) then he fucks up everything making the movie a fairy tale and than he fucks up by making the finale last 40 minutes more than its supposed to. Terrible movie, proof that even if he tries he can't escape the Hollywoodian mentality adding a fairy tale ending even if it doesn't fit.

Also fun fact, Kubrick was working on his own holocaust movie (the aryan diaries) that was supposed to be a movie that doesn't fetishize the victims but a movie that was interested in the Nietzsche and occult aspect of the Nazi ideology, but when he saw shiller list he sadly choose not to do it because with the success of that movie he thought that the world wasn't ready

I remember feeling nauseous after 30 minutes of 3D magic and taking off my 3D glasses for good.

The book sucked though

insoasmuch as I'd like to see this, Spielberg is a cunt and has too many bones in his closet for me to take him seriously as a practictioner or not. regardless of him being jewish (which is irrelevant)

Uh that doesn't happen

You are a pleb.

when did they start to lose any self awareness, this is rookie mistakes even for Spielberg
what the hell has happened

The prequels were better

Szechuan Sauce
Rick and Morty
Soylent
BING BING WAHOO Manchildren Manbaby Beta Nintendrones
Selfie culture
Hookup culture
Tinder
Kikebook
Lunch picture Snapchat
"Followers"
Upvotes
Petron
Identitypolitics
Third wave feminism
Pink pussy hats
Tranny bloggers
Black Lives Matter

Maybe Mao's cultural revolution purges were not so bad after all

Attached: 1512983588632.jpg (1051x1423 89.76 KB, 666.5K)

There's nothing inherently wrong with hookup culture, tinder or soylent.

Snapchat helps me get laid

The only thing that matters is Luc Besson needs to make more movies, period at the end.

youtube.com/watch?v=2246g7AzbMc

Attached: leeloo cosplay.jpg (680x450, 385.53K)

"Good goyim! Get your brain drug injection of orgasm chemicals. Take another hit goy!"
"Haha the ass was phat yo holmie!"
"Word SMH fire 100 100 fire lets hookup with randoms using a capitalist sex messaging app fam!"

You
Lined up against the wall
Mosin Nagant

Attached: 1485049451470.jpg (309x281 803.83 KB, 917.92K)

Prequels are better than the sequels, in that at least the prequels were just Lucas's unintentional shitfest. Disney has been intentionally making the diarrhea soup that is Episode VII and VIII (haven't seen the last jedi, hopefully never will)
Original trilogy is god-tier in comparison to the other two. The OT isn't even that great, the redeeming quality I see is that at least in the OT they didn't totally fuck up at making a movie.
Star Trek>Star Wars

Attached: gondola.jpg (780x999, 81.47K)

Spielbergs shitty films aren't the popcorn flicks. It's the "serious dramas" that make a mockery of historical tragedy by shoehorning it into a paint-by-numbers hollywood blockbuster. For example, Schindler's List is a commodification of Holocaust pathos. People like to forget that big movies are commodities and even if you have an "artist" directing them, they still have to function as a business.

Yes, that's his worst film and a disgusting bastardization of Kubrick's vision.

Wow youre totally right. Shit, really makes me wonder which book I read that made me mix these up. Whatever, the book I'm talking about was super rad and I enjoyed it. I could have sworn it was ready player one. This really sucks ass, and I really wish I knew what the other book was. It's just a better version of Ready Player One.
If any user want to help, I'd appreciate it.

The sequel trilogy is a prime example of how it is much worse for a movie to be mediocre than horrible. They're just so boring and pandering to Star Wars' cultural significance while the prequels are so awful that they're unintentionally hilarious to watch with the pretty visual effects contradicting the idiotic writing, and this has cemented them as a pop culture relic.

reactionaries get the bullet too

Incel detected.

Attached: smug duo2324235234.png (500x506, 263.27K)

There’s nothing wrong with choosing to give my money to a progressive company like Nintendo, because I know their real leftists who want change, and if you think women, or men over the age of 29 can’t enjoy the Nintendo switch your just afraid of change, bigot.

Nice try Zig Forums.

Attached: smug39423.jpg (774x720, 395.2K)

t. literal manchild

Attached: 9335fe143c348ec6244700b1954d5f99f1ae89aca499a2eba4b0de3aaa4beac4.png (613x1024, 679.21K)

no, that's probably his best

I'm not an incel but I agree with him on that point.

Stopped reading
Why does Zig Forums like to worship this overblown film critic

He's one of the central figures of contemporary Marxian philosophy, and a prolific writer. No one is trying to relegate his philosophy to some logical positivism and he is definitely afforded his fair share of critique, but to wholly foreclose upon him as a thinker by demeaning him as a cultural critic is neither reasonable nor feasible for a modern leftist

Attached: 2da17ffab6b6cba0d2a61ef2e6e978e67c5ebfddb76d9d77b6b03e5eccef8f7b.jpg (825x1035, 190.33K)

Holy shit I'm horrified. Is this pure spectacular alienation?

the worst of it is yet to come

I hate novels, but I really liked th emovie, should I get the book?

BAD photoshop

Friend got a ticket for me to watch it with him and I felt bad, so I got suckered into watching the movie. Is this bad praxis?

Just pirate it from somewhere. Spielberg made Hammond out to be some kind of whimsical cross between Colonel Sanders and Will Wonka whereas in the book he is a mean lying motherfucker who only cares about profits. In many respects Jurassic World is more true to the spirit of the original series since the company is explicitly identified as the source of all the park's woes.

I meant complexity wise, I have this autistic thing where I have little issue with complex political philosophy but reddit-tier novels make my brain explode

In neoliberal capitalism the director that proudly plasters his/her style, an author if you will, makes himself an marketing gimmick. So that director needs to force this style into all his movies, regardless if necessary. That forcing of his style in the movie further associates his name with the style.

It's always safe, always comfy. In liberalism there's no art, no entertainment, just marketing: you watch an ad to know about the movie, you watch an sponsored hype video youtube review to know if it's good, you see ads for other movies in the line for the theater, you see more before the movie begins, the movie itself is an ad for a series of movies, be it future movies of the director, a sequel or an extended universe with 20 years of planned releases. Not to mention the product placement for numerous car, food and clothing companies, and micro recruitment videos for the US army.

Attached: productplacement.jpeg (499x279, 498.42K)

Forget about concentration of power and exploitation, Japan is best argument against capitalism.

The last 40 minutes only made it more depressing, if I'm honest.

Goddamn it, I'm not even a big fan of Kubric and I'd loved to see that.

Sucking dick in the same theater the small bourgeois are with their families is great fucking praxis.

stfu pleb Tarantino is based

How many vidya characters were in it?

He's the biggest one trick pony in cinema.

He makes good movies still…….

Oh fuck, I forgot about the trailer to that. It was so horrifying.