I'm finished my bachelors degree in political science and philosophy next year and am planning what I wanna do...

I'm finished my bachelors degree in political science and philosophy next year and am planning what I wanna do post-grad. I'm looking to do a masters in philosophy and am very very interested in marxism as a school of thinking and as well general leftist thought.

How should I proceed? Are there any good, reputable schools that would specifically be good for studying marxism? Or maybe any schools with notable leftist intellectuals? Europe in general comes to mind obviously when i think of this and I would prefer to study there rather than in north america.

Attached: marxism-study.jpg (390x400, 19.65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/pol/res/11477381.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I want fries with that? Yes!

Try the new school prof. Wolff teaches at

Yeah I'm sure OP wants to hear "YOU ARE BEING RIPPED OFF", "THE RICH ARE GETTING RICHER" and "BALLOTS IN COMPANIES LMAO" being preached to him every single day. Wolff is a fraud.

I looked into the new school but they seem to be more into critical theory, which is cool but not sure if it's my thing yet? I know nancy fraser is there right now.
I agree with ☭TANKIE☭ poster tho Wolff is good intro level stuff but I am a pretty decently distinguished student and am looking to get pretty serious into academia, appreciate the rec tho

Literally why? We don't need more people in academia pursuing a career, we need people to actually do stuff.

Dunno about any leftist intellectuals here, but Denmark has some pretty good universities (even though our politicians are doing their very best to ruin them). You're also less likely to get nuked so long as you don't live near Copenhagen or Roskilde.

If you think you can find any serious Marxist in academia, you're not a serious Marxist.

I want to study marxist philosophy because I'm passionate about philosophy in general. it's not like a choice of praxis or anything. I already participate in organizing in my spare time.

what does this even mean

sorry, you can get a better political education literally just reading twitter shitposts. you blew all your time and money on nothing. also, "studying marxism" in a western grad school will be a pure hell of suffering unless you're planning on just becoming another red team "study/confuse thine enemy" revisionist CIA academic.
you could go study marxism in vietnam, cuba, china, or even the dprk if you want some actual freedom to study/research marxism without being forced to lie constantly.

Ahh, just another liberal careerist, thanks for confirming.

i think he's trying to imply that real marxists aren't in academia and are out in the field trying to start a revolution or whatever. Or that if I understood class analysis i would get why there aren't marxists in the intelligentsia.

I would point to occupy and especially the '68 protests as evidence of the need for radical intellectuals though.

Neck yourself

considering how much we all meme on this board shilling specific marxist intellectuals i'm surprised at how much salt im getting for literally just wanting to study

Attached: 1497322754160.jpg (409x487, 38.96K)

These people don't actually read the people they fashion themselves after. It's a LARP.

They are, but not as Marxists. The point isn't that investigating economics/sociology (Marxist or general) is bad. You should do that. Just not as an officially approved university thing.

from my understanding most serious academics in marxism dont usually focus on it as their primary thing they do it more for themselves while they teach other topics on the side with a marxist touch

There are serious Marxist scholars in academia but they'll be in a minority anywhere. Most leftist academics are socdems or trots. If you want to study Marxist philosophy in an academic setting just go to a philosophy graduate program and sit through all the bullshit to get to the good stuff.

this is good advice thanks comrade, this was my plan if i couldn't find a particular place to study at

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

REV UP THOSE APPLICATIONS TO WAL-MART

Okay, maybe you can teach or something. Really your degree is worthless. All you can do is that and maybe write on the side. I have a STEM degree and didn't get a job in my field until almost 2 years later and I am not making enough to move out of my parent's house.

real marxists aren't just "not in" academia, they get actively purged.

When do I begin to worry?

what do you study user? i wouldn't worry too much though. unless its a specialized field, most jobs hire people regardless of what their major was

Unfortunately user the only job your going to possibly get (if you even get one) with this is in politics either acting in a minor role assisting in campaigns or in some kind of law profession in which you also need a degree in. And in both these situations you'll probably end up having to abandon any sense of principle.

Check out the European Graduate School if you want to spend some time interacting with Marxian philosophers. Other than that, apply to the École Normale Supérieure, or just pursue your graduate studies

Academia is the graveyard of philosophy, if you truly love the discipline you would run to the hills.

They aren't any real Marxists in academia because its impossible.
Academia is a tool of indoctrinating the petite-bourgeoisie to support the capitalist system and subsequently using those tools to create 'reports' or 'theories' that support the capitalist ideology. Hardly a space for a Marxist critique the fuck out of the current state of things.

Not trolling. But why did you never consider learning a trade skill? Genuinely curious. You don't need a degree in philosophy to study philosophy. You can study on your spare time, while practicing a useful trade with your fellow proles.

Attached: 91b481b512e8311aa55038339a7c6f54--sheet-metal-labour.jpg (400x621, 45.61K)

I am a big fan of the kids in this thread memeing about you not being able to get a job when you are clearly persuing and academic career.

Obviously the only job type in existence is trades. On a more serious note, the worst thing that happens if you get a doctorate in an academic field (afaik) is you can still become a teacher/professor for that same topic. The pay might not be very good, but it's a pretty consistent job, the turnover rates are very low.

Spanging.

Thanks for revolving the same door that’s been leftist politics for the last 3 decades. “Educating” more youth has only produced a rapidly larger amount of liberals than actual and serious leftist focused people. You’re stuck in a vacuum and at this point you’re perpetuating it to the point that an underprivileged underclass will only view higher education (a point in which they are undeniably being and going to be underrepresented in) as a bourg trait.

Attached: 301E208B-6A31-417B-87AB-E079D1B9E758.gif (332x329, 905.42K)

The point isn't just to interpret the world. The point is to change it. You becoming some academic is literally of no relevance to me as a worker.

Are you 12?

Fucking this. I realized academia has failed to produce any change back in my first couple years of college. And having more "marxists" in ivory towers is the last fucking thing we need. OP is truly a retard.

How about saying what "stuff" is instead, huh? And how does studying stop you from "doing stuff"?

There really isn't for philosophy. And who fucking cares if there is anyway. Is having a job a bad thing now?

The absolute state of Zig Forums

Attached: 9e44b8a1f0fa7a8ac9662e4ee70f6b8ac71a551eadc2c5037e47ded145d47f95.png (382x597, 180.12K)

t. not even a leftist. Come the fuck on.

OP honest question: what do you intend to do after college and how do you plan on not being in debt for the rest of your life?

wasn't aware that you can't participate in political organizing unless you work in trades? god forbid I become an educator and you know… use my knowledge to voluntarily educate workers or something.

not totally sure what I'm gonna do honestly, i'll have to see once I get my masters if I'm interested in doing a doctorate. as of now i would like to work in academia but if other opportunities come up then i'll take them as they come. always open to suggestions.

dont have to worry about being in debt because 1. I live in quebec where the tuition is the cheapest in north america (4 years of university is costing me around $12,000). 2. I have scholarships helping me pay tuition and living costs. 3. i'll be doing a masters in europe where ill be paying potentially as little as $500 for tuition per year. so yeah i'll have debt but i'll be coming out of a masters with basically a few thousands dollars of debt tops. im very lucky.

the fuck are you doing on Zig Forums with posts like this?

what's next bro? gonna learn how to code? jesus christ. fuck off

kyslf

your lefty memes are awful can't you come up with something better? you autistic fucks

Attached: pri_43145321.jpg (304x504, 24.38K)

fuck off Zig Forums

well are you?

Attached: a7a7f7fb08243b514d636ce92f6728baf70ea8c04c5c2ed18c29321fb3c70f11.jpg (500x395, 31.47K)

I'd give anything to live in the USSR over this garbage system tbh

There's merit in choosing the pragmatic decision, user. I went for humanities almost entirely because I was too much of a brainlet for STEM. Which in turn means I will have a doubly awful life outside of school.

You've got to give it to the IRA, they really had great image and humour for a Paramilitary.

Attached: whats-up-ladies-im-single-and-ready-to-defeat-the-1576908.png (500x605, 155.46K)

Except no one is saying that you literal retard. You don't have to study Marxism in a university, you can do it on your own like we all did.

Name 5 where you can.

You plan to make money by being a communist? LOL, KEK, HAHA

Are you going to teach Venezuela that they could have averted their economy by being communist? I think you should move to Israel and study Talmud instead.

*BLOCKS YOUR PATH*

Attached: Capture.PNG (300x300 84.75 KB, 113.5K)

8ch.net/pol/res/11477381.html

Hahahahaha

STEM fags are the real brainlets though. In my conversations with them, they have a very limited and myopic understanding of the world.

I bet you think Chomsky is a leftist too.

Marx was a journalist and an academic, Engels owned a factory, Lenin was a petit bourgeois, Che was a medical student. The proletariat may be the revolutionary class, but that does not mean only proles can be revolutionaries or support the revolution, and educated workers certainly aren't excluded. Condemning someone for choosing a higher education is infantile.

Attached: DN9FqU5XkAE5F0x.jpg (852x669, 71.63K)

STEM people are smart when it comes to problem solving and doing stuff like math, science, engineering. However, when it comes to language, politics, or philosophy they are out of their element.

Those are great examples, but also consider the fact that all those individuals whom you mentioned actually did something, which had little to do with their educational background.

Che was a medical student, but he didn't sit around debating with Fidel on the finer points of dialectic.

Attached: 18767888_1307933725922027_6925378960697805965_n.jpg (225x225, 11.26K)

And you are complaining about OP based on nothing but what they choose to study. You have no idea what they actually do besides that. user already mentioned that he participates in organizing
I agree with you that people should be politically active, but that does not mean abandoning higher education.

why would I become a leftist intellectual and then decide to not share my knowledge with proles? of course i would educate workers.I'm not just going to stop participating in political organizing as soon as I become a professor or something

Not even true. They didn't go into STEM because they were good at STEM stuff, they did it because they want that good career. I know a lot of STEM people, and while some are indeed good at math etc., most are drooling retards who only just managed to pass the low as fuck requirements for those studies.

You can do this in your leisure time. Spend your college time and money on something that will make you a living later. Not kidding. You are not living under communism, you have to ensure your own reproduction under capitalism.

Attached: b0ad4fcd95a4cdf3586eb71edbd7a862217287bb808b3f49fddfb8f2a7423c79.jpg (640x640, 48.08K)

this is something that has been on my mind lately. I'm pretty dedicated to my studies and have a real passion for it and meanwhile I go to my undergrad classes and like, im seriously not a genius or anything, but there are some sincere dumbasses. in a 4th year political economy class this one guy actually argued saying "I don't understand what jeff bezos having $113 billion has to do with anyone else." How do you study political science for 4 years and this is your reasoning?

Honestly i considered maybe doing a second bachelors degree in a STEM related field (since I can't change out of philosophy cause im in my last year.) I really love philosophy though and would like to take it seriously academically - its not just marxism i wanna study of course i have a passion for all philosophy and im pretty good at it.

Attached: 76c292ec411f5e2e8fac730731b70afeba6594fbb279bb67c90a7cfb90fa6acc.jpg (338x310, 32.92K)

I can relate user, later on in my life; once I have done my part to fix shit, gonna do whatever I can to retrain as a paleontologist.

I would recommend Law if you can. It's easier than STEM, and well suited to language and logic oriented people that would study philosophy.

You plebs seriously think Papa Wolff doesn't tone down his work when he's trying to appeal to the masses? If you go on YouTube you can find some of his lectures from some years ago which are about Marx and capital that isn't just "the rich are getting richer" but actual analysis of capital.

this is actually really good advice. I feel like i probably don't have the grades to get into lawschool tho (i slacked my first year so i have a 3.1 GPA as of now)

Isn't that wholly dependent on the type of college? Unless you're good at networking and hope to do mostly that, nothing lost on going to a less prestigious uni.

Go into STEM it's more useful and needed

Attached: abd.jpg (338x310, 30.61K)

Euthanize yourself.

Useful for what exactly?

Except for your future job. The big bux go to the people in the prestigious unis

You need a 3.6 GPA to get into any masters program that isn't some diploma mill. Looks like you'll be entering the working class afterall.

Not quite. A degree from anything but an Ivy will not get you far by itself. The real value of prestigious universities is that they allow you to network with others and improve your job chances though favoritism. Don't buy into the meritocratic meme.

what am i reading?

Do you mean a specific field of study or just in general?

It's fine. Stalin went to a fucking seminary and he turned out all right.

kek, marx wanted and was aspiring to work under bauer as his assistant. Bauer…who was a fucking theologian. if bauer had not been kicked out of the university by the german conservatives, marx would have been working in the university.

from my understanding it looks like the typical university asks for a 3.0 to enter a grad program.

Maybe as a published minimum, but he'll be competing against students with a 3.6 average. He's not getting in unless it's some online thing or 3rd tier state school.

Material welfare and the enabling of mental welfare by elimination of harmful factors.

Is this your brain on Nick Land?

Attached: 3e957ea59fb296fca575f3f77d540a039f3855739254728a31a6f30c6c933591.jpg (255x251, 22.6K)

so i finish my undergrad and then get to choose between working minimum wage again or offing myself. good to know

Attached: 1509758431041.png (645x729, 79.84K)

Hey m8. I really wish you best of luck and hope you succeed. Just don't get sucked up into the neoliberal pitfalls of meritocracy.

Attached: 3b551a394ce75a784a5a152da8197a492239cbcde9d00e08fb7fbdc897568cad.jpg (414x656, 42.14K)

if you dont openly advocate killing people oyu are a centrist neoliberal normie subhuman untermensch

what socially necessary labor do the 'political scientists' even do?

bare with me here:
all these quasi intellectual bullshits exist solely for capitalist universities to make profit off of unintelligent people who want to feel intelligent
people pursuing these worthless degrees (defined as degrees completely devoid of improving the means of production) are net taking, tax consuming parasites on all the tax paying plumbers, electricians, welders, and people generally performing socially necessary labor

and as such should be sent to gulags to repay their debt to the proleteriat

Attached: 1424059779824.jpg (734x688, 114.25K)

fam, am I worthless to you? :(

i guess pol and leftpol are both in the same side here.
what a fucking disgrace

to be honest you're not wrong here. although i think that society does require a certain amount of intellectuals to reproduce knowledge but I agree that it has become materially detached for the most part. knowledge has, like everything else, become commodified and thus developed for profit into an industry. liberal capitalist professors just mainly work to further societies ideology and fulfill cogs in a profit machine,

what did you mean by this

man i dont fucking know, post above is just my opinion, im not a fucking expert nor did i read all 57 trillion tomes of das kapital

all im saying is, the left has too many of these quasi intellectual hobbyists, who just wanna have fun at the expense of tax paying proles, and who'se fun is never going to result in anything related to means of production, ever
they are basically all just parasites, who cant seize, and who cant improve means of production

i dont fucking know man, could be wrong, all i know is that i dont feel like going to work every day so some intellectual wannabe retard gets a free lunch at school

I'm way ahead of you comrade thanks for the support appreciate it

With that score unless you do extremely well on the LSAT or you're a URM you're pretty boned when it comes to getting into any law school worth mentioning. That said if you just want to be a public defender or whatever (which, since you're on Zig Forums, sounds like a safe bet) you could probably get by at a decent state school. Don't go if you have to take significant loans though.
t. 0L

Truly /ourschool/