Daily News Thread 4/27

Kim Jong Un and Moon Jae-in Stage Historic Intra-Korea Summit

North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un has crossed the border to meet with South Korea's President Moon Jae-in to hold the first intra-Korea summit in over a decade.
telesurtv.net/english/news/Kim-Jong-Un-and-Moon-Jae-in-Stage-Historic-Intra-Korea-Summit-20180426-0022.html

Kim Jong Un joked that he'd no longer 'interrupt' the South Korean president's sleep with early-morning missile tests

Kim Jong Un joked at a summit with South Korean President Moon Jae-in on Friday that he would no longer interrupt Moon's sleep with missile tests.
businessinsider.com/korea-summit-kim-jong-un-jokes-with-moon-jae-in-about-missile-tests-2018-4

3 dead, 611 injured as IDF clashes with #GreatReturnMarch protesters – Pal. health ministry

Protesters have gathered along the Gaza border as the ‘Great March of Return’ demonstrations enter a fifth week. At least 35 Palestinians, including two journalists, have been killed and thousands injured since the protests began.
rt.com/news/425297-palestinian-protests-great-march-return/

EX-CIA chief Mike Pompeo confirmed as secretary of state

The US Senate has confirmed former CIA director Mike Pompeo as secretary of state, ending a tough confirmation battle.
bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-43910164

Merkel Arrives at White House to High Stakes, Low Expectations

German Chancellor Angela Merkel arrived at the White House on Friday for a set of meetings with President Donald Trump as tensions between Europe and the U.S. show no signs of easing on issues ranging from trade to the Iran nuclear deal.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-27/merkel-arrives-at-white-house-to-high-stakes-low-expectations

Summit spoiler: US family sues Pyongyang for torturing son to death despite lack of evidence

The parents of Otto Warmbier have sued North Korea on the day the key peninsular summit, accusing the nation of torturing their son to death. Earlier medical reports said no signs of torture were found during autopsy.
rt.com/usa/425342-korea-summit-lawsuit-warmbier/

Racism, homophobia & assault: 8 Tory council election candidates suspended over allegations

An avalanche of alleged abusive behavior carried out by sitting and prospective councillors has hit the Tory party, all in the space of April, with under a week to go until the 2018 English council elections.
rt.com/uk/425343-tory-suspensions-council-elections/

A 'cocaine cowboy' who was involved in a CIA-backed plot to kill Fidel Castro is facing deportation to Cuba

A US court handed down an 11-year sentence to a former "cocaine cowboy" whose brother is currently fighting deportation from the United States.
businessinsider.com/cocaine-cowboy-involved-in-cia-plot-to-kill-castro-deportation-to-cuba-2018-4

EU member states support near-total neonicotinoids ban

Member states have voted in favour of an almost complete ban on the use of neonicotinoid insecticides across the EU.
bbc.com/news/science-environment-43910536

Manafort’s Civil Suit Against Justice Department Is Dismissed

Paul Manafort lost his civil lawsuit attacking Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s authority to charge President Donald Trump’s former campaign chairman with crimes unrelated to his role in the 2016 election.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-04-27/manafort-civil-suit-against-justice-department-is-dismissed

T-Mobile, Sprint finalizing merger terms: sources

U.S. wireless carriers T-Mobile US Inc (TMUS.O) and Sprint Corp (S.N) are finalizing terms as they seek to sign a merger deal in the next three days, people familiar with the matter said on Friday.
reuters.com/article/us-sprint-corp-m-a-t-mobile/t-mobile-sprint-finalizing-merger-terms-sources-idUSKBN1HY29J

ICE held an American man in custody for 1,273 days. He’s not the only one who had to prove his citizenship

Since 2012, ICE has released from its custody more than 1,480 people after investigating their citizenship claims, according to agency figures.
latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-citizens-ice-20180427-htmlstory.html

Teachers to descend on Arizona, Colorado Capitols for second day of walkouts

Arizona and Colorado teachers plan to don red shirts and descend upon their respective Capitols for a second day in a growing educator uprising.
chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-arizona-colorado-teacher-walkouts-20180427-story.html

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (1280x1440, 1.44M)

Other urls found in this thread:

usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/04/27/speaker-paul-ryan-faces-backlash-over-decision-oust-catholic-house-chaplain-inquiry-sought/558082002/
thecharnelhouse.org/2018/04/27/hillel-ticktins-contributions-to-marxist-theory/
bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=39198
nakedcapitalism.com/2018/04/exclusive-calls-to-police-skyrocketed-after-hiring-of-philly-starbucks-manager-who-was-on-duty-during-starbuckswhileblack-arrests.html
theintercept.com/2018/04/27/pacs-democrats-campaign-finance-reform-pacs-big-money/
thenewinquiry.com/solidarity-with-grad-workers/
nakedcapitalism.com/2018/04/links-4-27-18.html
cnn.com/2018/04/27/opinions/korea-summit-adam-cathcart-opinion-intl/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Speaker Paul Ryan faces backlash over decision to oust Catholic House chaplain; inquiry sought

usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2018/04/27/speaker-paul-ryan-faces-backlash-over-decision-oust-catholic-house-chaplain-inquiry-sought/558082002/

WTF? I thought the Democrats were supposed to be the godless heathens.

Attached: 636604293669338130-GTY-951565250-99456625.JPG (534x401, 20.99K)

OP/ED

Hillel Ticktin’s contributions to Marxist theory

South African Trotskyist Hillel Ticktin first made a name for himself in the 1970s and 1980s, with a groundbreaking reexamination of the political economy of the USSR.
thecharnelhouse.org/2018/04/27/hillel-ticktins-contributions-to-marxist-theory/

Critics of the Job Guarantee miss the mark badly … again

bilbo.economicoutlook.net/blog/?p=39198

Exclusive: Calls To Police Skyrocketed After Hiring of Philly Starbucks Manager Who Was on Duty During #Starbuckswhileblack Arrests

The Starbucks manager who called for police to arrest two black men in her store had a history of frequent requests for police help.
nakedcapitalism.com/2018/04/exclusive-calls-to-police-skyrocketed-after-hiring-of-philly-starbucks-manager-who-was-on-duty-during-starbuckswhileblack-arrests.html

2020 Democratic Contenders Are Making the “Cheap Gesture” of Swearing Off Corporate PAC Money, but Big Checks Are Still Flying

Sen. Kamala Harris, D-Calif., became the latest lawmaker to swear off all donations from corporate political action committees, telling a radio host in mid-April that she made the move after being asked about it at a town hall by a constituent.
theintercept.com/2018/04/27/pacs-democrats-campaign-finance-reform-pacs-big-money/

Solidarity with Grad Workers

thenewinquiry.com/solidarity-with-grad-workers/

Links 4/27/18

nakedcapitalism.com/2018/04/links-4-27-18.html

The dems are almost indistinguishable from the republicans when it comes to actual behaviour when in power. Paul Ryan is a godless piece of shit though, same with the people who pay him.

Eternal American strikes again.

It's funny seeing MAGAtards saying Trump ended the Korean War singlehandedly

I’m so happy for the Koreans

Attached: 507588F2-1FCA-421E-BB4C-A156FDD97369.jpeg (640x458, 110.07K)

I had a liberal acquaintance claim something to that effect to me too. US jingoists of every stripe are really trying to turn this into an americ*n victory.

pump

Attached: ego.jpeg (508x414, 51.61K)

there's your answer. Protestants are filthy fucking heretics to be honest.

Religion is retarded in general tbh famalam

15 minutes into treating the designated world Superevil like an actual country and chill the and US propaganda machine give u this lookcnn.com/2018/04/27/opinions/korea-summit-adam-cathcart-opinion-intl/index.html

So from 2008-2010 when they had a super majority they passed massive Tax Cuts to the top 1%, voted for food stamp benefit cuts, introduced legislation legalizing running over people counter protesting White Supremacists and totally weren't trying to create universal healthcare even though they were being accused of setting up death panels…

The differences between Republican majority rule and Democrat majority rule are FUCKING astounding. Dems might not be true left, but they're infinitely more reasonable than Republicans.

Even I know that the American health care system was retarded convoluted

Attached: 1507755931265.jpg (409x409, 104.95K)

He's saying that democrats are consistently better at sneaking in ways to fuck over Americans, while Republicans have to deal with public pushback.
I think without the Republicans acting a harsh stick, the Democrats wouldn't be able to poison us with laced carrots nearly as well.

I'll agree with this

The Democrats aren't really an opposition party, or rather the Democrats in high office aren't interested in opposing the operation of the post cold war American empire. The only Democrats with any real power in the last few decades (Clinton, Obama, Durbin, Reid, Pelosi, Schumer) are creatures of the establishment, the Washington Consensus that's ruled since the end of the cold war. Sure, the voter base of the Democrats might be more left wing but they have no power whatsoever.

I get that.. Most the kids in here aren't even old enough to remember a Democrat super majority (WH, Congress). I've seen it twice for periods of 2 years each in my life. 2 years under Clinton and 2 years under Obama. I've seen around 18-20 years of Republican majorities (WH, Congress).

The 2 years under Clinton led to social security checks for alcoholism (which led to freaks like Rush Limbaugh)

The 2 years under Obama led to ACA which would have been universal had Fox News not did the death panel fear mongering.

Ya they may be poison, but I've not seen anything further left than GWB or Reagan having full control of the country for most of my life. When the right does lose control to anyone further left than Reagan they pull out freaks like Hannity and Rush Limbaugh, and the proles eat their turds like candy completely destroying their majorities almost as soon as they get them.

You seriously can't believe this.

Attached: 06.png (600x760, 348.91K)

Where you 10 years old when Obama took office?

Attached: OPEN THE BLOODGATES.webm (640x480, 6.97M)

Dems pre-emptively took the public option off of the table before negotiations had even begun. You honestly think that they would be super progressive without those meanies in the GOP? I bet you unironically voted for Hillary after supporting Bernie in the primaries (also unironically).

Attached: face985240958.jpg (499x500, 28.98K)

Yep, spotted the first time voter.

thank you for correcting the record

I was there moron. I watched Obama throw it all away to appease a weakened right wing which had no real power at the time. Of course I didn't understand what was going on back then. The goal was to appease his base while also protecting the interests of the donor class. It was also why they left the Bush tax cuts in place.

You're correct that universal was pulled from table over fillibuster issues AND lack of support from Obama (I just googled to be sure). That being said there was a significant voting bloc of progressives ready to enact universal at that time. I voted for Hillary before I was commie pilled on Zig Forums. I wouldn't vote for her again after some eye opening thoughts I've seen here.

That being said I would still love a reprieve from super majority Republican rule with a super majority of progressives. Mainly because I have little hope in a communist revolution, and I've seen so many years of Republican Super Majorities with Republican Presidentz under Reagan, Bush 1, Bush 2 and likely 4 more under Trump admin.

I really haven't seen any progressive supermajority, and only 4 years of super majorities left of GWB. Progressives just aren't that in to voting.

Why is this so common? Stupid little people like him feel empowered to do their displays of "power" by threatening

There was a Jack in the box manager back in my home town who called the police when people didn't leave after 30 minutes.

If people refuse to leave after closing, I would call the police on them.

What altered your perspective

In retail, you're either supposed to ask them to leave, or you can tell them to leave. If they don't, you're supposed to pester them to death until they go.

The only way you can really remove someone from the property without chancing legal trouble is if you have a Loss Prevention Officer at the store (which is almost never the case) or call the cops.

Some people are just cunts though, so