So what's the materialist analysis of monks making beer/wine?

So what's the materialist analysis of monks making beer/wine?
Availability of lands? Boredom? "According to legend" the Trappist monks did it to compensate laborers.

Attached: monks-beer.jpg (825x432, 43.16K)

They did it because they didn't need to survive, google Ted Kaczynski .

Beer from monks is the best beer btw

Land, for sure, but it's a process that needs a lot of time so the relative financial stability coming with their position, the passing down and refinement of recipes for which hundreds of years of stability coming from their order is granted, also it is a non-essential item.

Also: the lack of sex is an incentive too.

I have a new found appreciation for monks.

Monks needed something to support themselves (unlike friars, monks are generally expected to support their monastery without relying on charity) and beer is suitable for the reasons laid out. Also beer is maybe the best known thing produced by monks but they also make honey, coffee, cakes, and even stranger things like furniture and perfume.

Why exactly do you think that requires a "materialist analysis"

so monks get the full return on their labor?

I just found it odd that European monks came to be known for their brewing. What could possibly cause this particular direction as opposed to a different group/class producing beer, like feudal lords for example.

They did it because they made shitloads of money off it, notice how a load of booze, particularly in Britain and Europe has semi monastic branding? That’s not coincidence.

And every Scottish person knows buckfast was made by monks..

Monasteries were big business back in the day

Monasteries were manufactures that supported itself, owned both land and people, and generated income for the church with all possible kinds of industry.

They are famous for beer/wine, because they were well-predisposed to this trade: contacts with nobility all around, access to literacy and knowledge, which is required in such a complex process as fermentation.

so gay sex?

Noone really cared if the clergy had mistresses. In fact, it was more or less a common knowledge in case of prominent positions. The whole celibate thing was the issue of inheritance, and, as long as it was maintained, people didn't even wag a finger if celibacy wasn't observed.

so… no inheritance issues, sooo again

This is asinine. Read Engels' late letters on historical materialism, there's a selection on marxists.org.

Any particular texts? I'm not going to go through a whole library to find out why monks made beer.

What doesn't?!

and awesome cheese

You know what I meant. Not that the feudal lord actually produces himself.

wat. feudal lords would probably have had their own breweries or if not they would have peasants pay them in kind with barrels of beer if a particular community had a knack for it. The Dutch merchants and shippers probably created the first beer international industry though because of the peculiar economic social and geographic peculiarities in the 1300s or so

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 2.57.40 AM.png (704x453 161.91 KB, 93.38K)

a few pages down from the first two. i could go into more detail by typing but i'm tired. basically monks had a total monopoly in "dark ages" when they were the biggest most powerful production units. large scale monastic brewing and state building were intertwined because bigger units of production of monasteries are easier to tax. however the carolingian empire collapses and you have a splintering of political authority- feudalism essentially- and the tax privileges of the emperor are usurped by hundred of petty rulers. monasteries remain dominant, but no doubt rural lords and peasants make their own beer even if its not mentioned, just not as commercial enterprises like monasteries at the time. this changes as northern europe gradually urbanizes in the early second millennium and lords encourage alcohol production cause of its lucrative tax, but for reasons peculiar to cities you have establishment of divisions of labor and larger units of production which eventually go on to out compete monasteries comercially.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 2.57.40 AM.png (719x758, 161.91K)

woops wrong photo

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 3.20.43 AM.png (606x655, 147.66K)