Thoughts on the Russia-Crimea situation from a few years ago...

Thoughts on the Russia-Crimea situation from a few years ago? My liberal father compared Putin to Hitler when it was going on, and to this day I can't even get him to agree that the Iraq war was by far a greater crime than the annexation of Crimea. "something something iraq good intentions something crimea international law"

pic not related

Attached: miles davis bill evans john coltrane.jpg (1575x1080, 246.92K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportation_of_the_Chechens_and_Ingush
youtube.com/watch?v=UMExThwGqVI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

pootins rating were falling so when opportunity came he ordered the annexation of Crimea. Pretty much all there is to this story.

US & EU pushed illegal coup, majority russian areas that supported the ousted president get attacked by fascist hordes (let's not forget that blondes published phone call talking about nuking those "god damn russian ethnics" and other such episodes).
crimea, only added to ukrainian territory by an ukrainian soviet leader, should've simply gone to the russian federation after 91 anyway

the idea that it took russia to "create" this split and that it's an "occupation" is either someone being silly and uneducated or outright NATO propaganda

Attached: Ukraine_einfach_Wahlen_3WG_english.png (640x447 204.9 KB, 222.49K)

since i can already hear the raging leftpolack hammering his keyboard in anger
there's not the least bit of sympathy for putin required to come to this only sensible conclusion

Russia needs a warm water port, simple as that, they'd be idiots NOT to go for it. The ethnicity and linguistics of the place is just icing on the cake.

This must have been part of it tbh.

Ukraine wasn't even a country before Lenin. It's really fucking ironic how they demolish all his statues.

Can we like…not do that. Khruschev was not Ukrainian, he was from Kursk. Basically of the same stock as the people of Donbass. The transfer of Crimea was unconstitutional and shouldn't have been done, but it wasn't solely Khruschev's decision and it's highly doubtful it was motivated by some blood and soil shit.

We can look at the situation critically without buying Russian nationalist propaganda comrade

what happened to all the tartars from crimea?

i admit that was just really lazy wording on my part, i welcome your correction

theyreall dead :DDDD

Majority of crimean population are Russian, so I loosely support it.
They could have probably gone about it better though.

great power politics
Crimea is strategically important to Russia so they intervened to secure it from falling into US hands. Meanwhile Donbass isn't that important and arguably a net negative for a number of reasons so they get token support from Russia to prevent them from being retaken by Ukraine

Don't really have any opinion on the situation but I am amused and kinda fascinated by this guy Russell Bentley, a communist from Texas who is basically a clone of The Dude from the Big Lebowski – if The Dude had run off to the DPR and joined the army, fought on the front lines and then became a propagandist. "It's like Lenin said, you look for the person who will benefit, and… uhh… y'know… ahh…"

One thing he said I thought was interesting was how Donetsk reminded him of Austin in the 1970s "before everything went to shit." I think he was mainly referring to low cost of living since Austin today is very expensive. Rent is cheap. Internet is cheap. But then I realize he's trying to lure in foreign fighters and in one video the camera keeps this young woman in the frame for the entire video. "Hey hey broskis-comrades… keeping it hoss in the Donbass… oh don't mind the pussy next to me yeah it's just like that here all the time. Serious, bro!"

Attached: bentley.png (700x371, 601.9K)

Before the neoliberals moved in from California?

That's a part of it yeah. But the state government is full of hypocrites who actively encourage this thing with one hand to poach tech companies and then pound the right-wing culture warrior drum with the other hand. Perry late in his term even adopted this smart quasi-hipster look… he's now running the Department of Energy and is probably (to the surprise of many) the most competent technocrat in the Trump administration.

Anyways, Austin in the 1970s was like hippies and cowboys in the same place and they both kinda got along? Think Willie Nelson. He's basically if Austin in 70s was incarnated into a person. He is the yin and yang. And nobody is allowed to fuck with him.

Incidentally, I might be wrong about this on account of having never been to Russia, but it seems like there's less of a rural-urban divide there at least culturally speaking. Which would be nice.

Attached: willie.jpg (4200x2783 20.08 KB, 1.09M)

instead of an urban-rural divide we just have a divide between million+ cities and everyone else

MFW liberals.
Crime has historically been part of Russia for a long time and Crimeans have historically voted to be part of Russia. No violence occurred in Crimea even if one were to claim it were an illegal annexation. Meanwhile NATO is all for the annexation of Kosovo which was bloody and according to the claims made about Crimea, makes it illegal as well. Not to mention… when is the USA going to relinquish half its territory back to the Mexicans?

The point of the matter is, the Ukrainian coup of 2014 was a US funded over-throw of a President who was too close to Russia. Ukraine itself is important because, as Bismark stated, if you can divide it from Russia you may have a choice at beating Russia.

While it certainly was executed with the intention to boost his popularity, this is as bullshit as it gets. First off, there was no "annexation". There was a referendum with an overwhelming majority voting to join Russia, even if you believe every inch of the Western narrative, it is obvious that even with a fraudulent referendum, the vast majority of Crimeans were very favorable for it.

The mainstream continues to harp on about "violation of international law" without explaining what they mean by it. Certainly the invasion of Iraq, the support of the Contras in Nicaragua, or the Israelian settlement in the West Bank are all violations of international law, as declared by international courts. There was never a court that declared it as illegal - media and politicans just say it without any legal dissertation was written about it, and it continues to dominate our discourse till today. "International law" doesn't have a code like criminal law or constitutional law, it is regulated by customs, contracts and two opposing principles: The self-determination of nations and the integrity of borders. Never once did the West undertake the weighing up of these principles, they just said you can't violate borders and that's that. Despite the USA violating borders in Syria right now, but then the mainstream argues that this is an exception because of Assad who has "lost all legitimacy" in their opinion, but there is clearly a double standard here.

I mean what is the Western narrative anyway? That there wasn't a coup, that there aren't pillaging Nazi bandits going rampant, that there weren't burning hospitals, that these unknown snipers at Maidan were Yanukovych's thugs, that the referendum was fraudulent, that there weren't neoliberal Goldman-Sachs banksters appointed to the government? Get a fucking grip.

If your country relied on weapon sales as its main export wouldn't you like selling them to Ukraine? The margins are unlike anything else.

They're fine, Putin recently met them and attended some traditional festival of them or whatever. Contrary to popular belief (= NATO agitprop) Putin is not an ethno-nationalist, which is why he regularly gets criticized by Russian far-right and Nazis. Go check Zig Forums, they think he is some Jewish pawn because he protects minorities. Russia in general has never really mistreated its minorities and indigenous population like Western countries did. And the Tartars were Mongols, brutal invaders, mind you.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportation_of_the_Chechens_and_Ingush

Besides deporting Nazi collaborators during WWII, I mean.

Let's not go that far. Tsarist Russia was as bad of a colonial power as any Western one. Circassian genocide, endless Caucasian wars, colonization of Siberias etc…it was called the "prison of nations" for a reason. The Soviets fixed much of that of course, by establishing a federal system with minority rights. But not all of Russia's history or its current regime are spotless because it gave us the USSR.

I can confirm, at least insofar that the real hardcore neo-Nazi scene in the U.S. started having second thoughts about Putin once they rubbed two brain cells together. The neo-Nazi scene in Russia seems to get its shit wrecked by the government pretty regularly though I'm not up on the details. Point being that Putin is the head of a federation which is not an "ethnostate" like the alt-right wants.

I've had some fun trolling Zig Forums though with Putin's quotes about Islam, because he sounds like Obama. Which makes sense considering the Muslim population in Russia may number around 10 million. Putin might even go further: youtube.com/watch?v=UMExThwGqVI

I've had a few Muslim-bashing Putin fans from Burgerland reply back with an off-color joke about circumcision he made in, like, 2002 like that means anything. But I think the way Burgers act is they see their domestic rivals attack a foreign target, and so they automatically and reflexively side with that foreign target and apply their own politics to that person or state. So Trump fans see Putin as a Russian Trump. Or Obama fans see Merkel as a German Obama. It's all very weird and stupid.

a lot of empty text over one term.

let's not forget that this term was used by colonial empire of France which is responsible for more suffering and genocides that Russia

This is Nationalism

Very true but Russia was once a chauvinist state. The endless Russification efforts under the Tsars show that.

This is justified like removing all the pictures of your alcoholic stepfather from your house