I'm toying with the idea of writing about representations of Palestinian resistance in western literature for my senior...

I'm toying with the idea of writing about representations of Palestinian resistance in western literature for my senior thesis (I'm an English major obviously, with a minor in politics/international studies, inb4 "hurr durr learn something useful"). Has anyone read this reactionary piece of trash? I ask, because it's one of the books which one of my polisci profs recommended to me when I told her what I plan on doing. Part of me is reluctant to go through it because reading Zionist bullshit always makes my blood boil. So, could anyone give me a Sparknotes-esque summary of this novel? Also, are there any other American novels which portray Palestinians in a highly racist/orientalist manner? Thanks.

Attached: hasbarasunday.jpg (317x475, 26.58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.fr/books?id=AuqPW_YOkO0C&printsec=frontcover&hl=fr&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Check Goodreads. We aren't doing your homework for you.

Zig Forums gives legendary homework advice tho

Attached: d.jpg (1154x1076 195.98 KB, 465.92K)

I did check GRs, and none of the reviews on there touched on what I'm trying to write about. Basically, I want to know how the Palestinian "villains" are portrayed, what are their character traits, etc., and how does this fit into the American/western perception of the Palestinian struggle as a whole. Granted, the novel was written in the mid-1970s so there's that aspect (a novel written today would have a completely different outlook). The primary Palestinian character (Dalia) is obviously based on Leila Khaled so there's that.

Okay this is literally epic.

This very sentence assumes Zig Forums can read.

Did he like go to Afghanistan or something?
also
>Don't use FinBol as a source, use his sources

I read this novel 10 years ago before I became leftist, when I was a teenager.

What I remember is, Dahlia (the "Leila" character) is sexualized as she sleeps with the main character (a Vietnam vet with extreme PTSD). Not sure how that fits into your project. I don't remember too many negative stereotypes about Palestinians actually, since this book is more of a psychological thriller, as in the focus is on the overall suspense and not character details.

user…

I don't think Palestinians are that often even represented as Palestinians, they are just lumped together with Islamist terrorists from anywhere in the world. I believe John Ringo has some very rightwing over-the-top Islamig terrrists getting owned by stronk Murican hero fun stuff. Tom Clancy probably has some stuff, but I'd rather read a phone book for entertainment.

That was a joke, anons.
She was a northern Ireland student expelled because of Finnbol (yeah sure) and went to Syria to enlist to the Army (lol), being rejected (I wonder why) she killed herself in an hotel in Damascus.

Does it matter though? Obviously, it's not Sudanese or Indonesians who are portrayed as "bloodthirsty terrorists."

Your average burger can't tell the difference between Palestians, Syrians, Iraqis, Libyans, Yemenis, Moroccans…

They don't care which set of Sykes-Picot sand lines you were born in, all they see is a generic "Arab."

I understand you're trying to expose this novel and others like it as part of a "Zionist propaganda campaign" well guess what? That's fucking stupid as Americans (especially white guys in the 70s) mostly couldn't give a fuck. In fact claiming every shitty representation of Arabs is "hasbara" sounds conspiratorial and immature on your end.

But don't you think it's something for Palestinians to be *specifically* demonized in western media? When was the last time Yemenis or Moroccans were portrayed as evil terrorists? Saudi Arabia is the biggest financer of terrorism in the world yet how many Saudis get portrayed poorly?

What mate? in most lefty western media saudi is a tyrant terror state and the palastinians are innocents being genocided with there backs against the wall..

I'm talking mainstream western media: books, films, music, etc. not fringe leftist media.

That's what Indian/Chinese tutors-for-hire are for.

Dude, check out the Guardian… Hardly fringe. Arn't both of what i said basically understood to be true within the Labour membership and party? You're crazy if you think these views are fringe.

Attached: corbyn-palestine.jpg (960x504, 97.21K)

Except my major isn't journalism. What I'm specifically looking at is literature, not news coverage.

Israel is nothing more than a western imperialist outlet in the Middle East. All "hasbara" is simply bourgeois propaganda trying to legitimize imperialism. No one gives a shit about the Palestinians themselves any more than they care about Uyghurs or whatever indigenous peoples are being killed in Central America. Stop assuming there's a conspiracy against Palestinians for being Palestinian.

The Israel Lobby is very real and it does have serious influence in pop culture. That's what I'm trying to get at in my thesis.

Ethnic lobbies have little influence outside of their role in imperialism. That's why the Indian lobby and Turkish lobby are more powerful than, say, the Armenian lobby. Also, a handful of openly anti-Zionist politicians were just elected to the Anerican Congress. How the fuck does that fit your "muh AIPAC colonizes the American mind" narrative?

Your thesis will be dismissed, not because da jooooz control your university but because your entire argument is empty speculation.

I hate it when people say western but actually just mean american.

France and Canada have Israel lobbies too. There is also outright apartheid against Muslims in France as well.

BASED.

It's almost as if all of those countries were at war with Israel at one point.

Really makes you think.

OP, instead of trying to expose everything as Zionist propaganda, maybe you should also take a look at how the left contributes to negative stereotypes about Arabs and Muslims too. The Leila image isn't exactly something most Arab Aneeicans relate to, plus association of us with "terrorists" even if our cause is righteous has very negative effects.

If you're going to debate the evils of Zionism, do so in a different thread. I'm asking about a very specific piece of reactionary literature which no one has yet spoken about.

Holy shit this board is dumb.

books.google.fr/books?id=AuqPW_YOkO0C&printsec=frontcover&hl=fr&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Read.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-12-14 at 4.39.14 PM.png (679x525, 206.82K)

That's…. fucking gross.

FREE PALESTINE
GAS THE KIK3S

What the fuck is this?

First chapter of the novel OP asked about.

To be fair half the time it literally is Hasbara

Don't forget the part about the IRA and the police chasing her, and her going between different military groups in different towns trying to find one that recruits women.

Concrete example?

Everyone dies at the end.

You're welcome.

Gotta love liberals.

You should read Eat My Ass Bagel by Moishe Goldberg. Also not your personal homework army.

Anything Zionist is trash.

Watch the movie instead.