In the case of the Fitzgerald...

thedrive.com/the-war-zone/15654/heres-whats-in-the-navys-damning-new-reports-on-its-destroyer-collisions

In the case of the Fitzgerald, the ship was within sight of land and was running with only external navigation lights on when it came into contact with the ACX Crystal, a common procedure. Per the official International Rules of the Nautical Road, the American destroyer was in a so-called “crossing situation” and should have moved out of the path of the other vessel. When that didn’t happen, the container ship’s crew was supposed to do the same.

Though aware of the situation for 30 minutes before the collision, neither ship took evasive action leading up to the mishap. Minutes before the two smacked into each other, Fitzgerald’s Officer of the Deck and Junior Officer of the Deck, the former in charge of the ship’s safe navigation and the other there to assist, were still debating on the bridge whether or not change course.

At no point did any other personnel on the bridge appear to offer substantive advice, according to the review, and the ship’s captain, who was asleep at the time, was completely unaware of what was going on, a breach of protocol, until the ACX Crystal literally smashed its way into his quarters. The destroyer’s Combat Information Center, which fuses data from the ship’s radar and other sensors, never offered information or advice to the Office of the Deck.

At no point did personnel on the bridge sound a collision warning or otherwise alert the rest of the crew, many of whom were also in their bunks, of the impending danger. The accident caused such significant damage as to knock out the Fitzgerald’s external communications systems, preventing the crew from quickly calling for help, and all power to the forward spaces of the ship.

As we at The War Zone reported before, based on an initial release of information to the public, that the incident wasn’t worse is a testament to the courage of the ship’s crew in the immediate aftermath. Along with these latest reports, the Navy released a number of haunting hand drawn sketches investigators had sailors draw of how they escaped the flooding in the compartments.

Attached: dddd.JPG (621x800, 149.62K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nullk.github.io/penguin.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Mærsk
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasp-class_amphibious_assault_ship
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Jesus fucking Christ.

Attached: Absolutely Disgusting.png (500x775, 568.74K)

They need to do some reading.

Attached: how_to_avoid_huge_ships.jpg (198x300, 13.44K)

Fucking hell.

Attached: come join the fun.jpg (550x412, 112.74K)

My p3n0r
Here, make your own nullk.github.io/penguin.html

This was funny to me because it seemed to imply they wanted to crash.

Attached: pol and christ chan havin a giggle.png (815x570, 197.58K)

To be honest, this sounds a lot like how Zig Forums would react if we had the Zig Forumsarrier. Except afterwards the shipping vessel would have been shot full of holes after the collision.

Attached: 1425092736311.png (207x200, 53.12K)

BULL
FUCKING
SHIT

The damage was light because the cargo (which CANNOT change course easily) put his propellers on reverse and tried to stop has best it could.
If not it would have easily cut the 6x time lighter destroyer in half.
So it only gently pushed the destroyer…

No strelok, we add it to the Zig Forumsarrier. Absorb or remove the crew depending on circumstance.

I want this to happen in my lifetime.

Attached: Pinochet's Revenge.webm (1280x720, 1.43M)

That's even worse than crashing because you tried to steer the ship in a giant dick shape.

Attached: Evans_collision.gif (2264x1348, 45.35K)

No friend, we create such a mass it would put Mother Base to shame and in fact make it run deep enough to be unsinkable. People called me crazy for wanting to absorb the shipping around the world.

NOTICE
TO ALL HANDS, EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY
WITH THE SUCCESSFUL INSTALLATION OF A REPLICA RAM BY THE Zig ForumsOMMANDO HISTORICAL SOCIETY, THE USE OF "WARNING RPGs" TO DISSUADE COMMERCIAL SHIPPING FROM CROSSING OUR PATH IS PROHIBITED. EXPECT COLLISIONS AND SUBSEQUENT SALVAGE OPERATIONS SHORTY. OPERATORS ARE ADVISED TO SECURE LOOSE ITEMS AND WEAR HEADGEAR AT ALL TIMES.

ADDENDUM: DO NOT JURY RIG THE Zig ForumsARRIER'S STEAM CATAPULT TO LAUNCH TORPEDOS. ANY MECHANICS WHO SURVIVE FURTHER EXPERIMENTATION WILL BE FORCED TO WALK THE PLANK.

Attached: zergface.jpg (601x384, 33.27K)

CAN I STILL FIRE THE RPG AT RANDOM PORPOISES THAT COME NEAR

The Switzerland of the Sea.
Its be breddy great, also using that giant island of plastic for polymers and shit.

Attached: Bread.png (317x283, 6.3K)

>ANY MECHANICS WHO SURVIVE FURTHER EXPERIMENTATION WILL BE FORCED TO WALK THE PLANK.

Next step is to board and take over an offshore rig for all non-nuclear fueling needs.

The only way this course of events took place is:

1. If no one on the ships crew is permitted to speak, or is afraid to do so, which amounts to the same thing.
2. No one is trained in basic international rules of navigation that a fucking online licensing course covers.

The scary part is that even given the 1&2… it's a warship, even using only mark-one-eyeball it should have spotted a cargo ship in time to evade. So the crew had to be cowardly, stupid, and incompetent in the extreme for this to happen. I'm fucking terrified the navy is descending into feudal-era levels of stupidity.

The Zig Forumsarrier must be brought to life.

Attached: karrier.png (1264x3074, 482.31K)

Or prideful. The US Navy assumes it always has the right-of-way out at sea unless told by a commanding officer that they need to fuck off and let another ship pass. I'd hope if the captain has been awake, he would have done just that, chances are the Captain was the only one trained in international rules of navigation.

I feel this is relevant. Truth mirrors fiction.

I don't know about that
They had to have known at some point that the cargo ship couldn't stop in time, yet that point would still be minutes away from the warship being able to stop in time. Ergo in effect they had a few minutes in which their position was analogous to a person standing on train tracks and staring down an oncoming train, yet being unwilling to simply step out of the way.
That's not pride, it's some kind of psychological or mental damage, on a shipboard scale.

In effect the various equipment operators were frozen in their chairs so afraid of speaking up, that they didn't even abandon ship. That kind of group-insanity in a branch of the military that has ready access to nuclear weapons is fucking terrifying.

This happens surprisingly frequently in the US military. My dad always tells this story about when the USS Austin tore its bow off when is rammed into a Hong Kong freighter in the Straight of Gibraltar because no one wanted to wake the captain up.

there's a lot of abandoned oil rigs owned by petrol companies up for sale.

What are your thoughts on this?

Attached: Maersk-SClass-FullConversion.gif (531x323 320.75 KB, 70.59K)

Attached: stobar-mercante-vs-ktty-vs-emma-maersk-vs-invencible-vs-wasp1.jpg (450x304, 22.85K)

Attached: Space_Hulk_by_Zen_Master.jpg (1300x813, 797.83K)

This ship en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emma_Mærsk

is faster than

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasp-class_amphibious_assault_ship

Problem with using commercial ships as warships is that they don't have enough compartments. A warship has maybe ten times as many sealable compartments, so if a missile or torpedo hits it, the damaged areas can be sealed off, and the ship still floats.
Also no redundancy. A warship has many different cable routes that bring power from engines throughout the ship. Also far more fuses and spare parts in case of overload or EMP. The ship is also designed to be repaired, so crew has access to every system so they can repair it on the fly or under fire.

At least it's supposed to, modern warships are jokes.

The Wasp class is dragging an amphib dock behind it.

Were they playing chicken?

Attached: 135476573979.jpg (799x599, 86.92K)

How are the Navy's diversification programs affecting the operation of shipborne nuclear reactors?
I'm scared.

Attached: animu_jews.png (768x768, 567.32K)