How big of a hole does a single stick of dynamite leave in the ground when detonated at ground level?

How big of a hole does a single stick of dynamite leave in the ground when detonated at ground level?

Attached: 6e570f0a876e34ac6649bb2e51a3a89a4040eae4905efc3364b4b6aec7364fdd.gif (356x200, 1.11M)

Other urls found in this thread:

phillyvoice.com/20-mysterious-explosions-over-two-months-bucks-county-pennsylvania-state-polce/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Are sticks standardized on one inch or something?

"stick" is not a useful measure.

post the measurement of what you have first

Not OP but a stick of dynamite is about 8 inches long 1.25 iches wide and weighs about 190 grams.

It varies considerably based on soil conditions, vegetation and temperature.

I am not sure, but mean "one regular sized stick of dynamite". See

Then why do people always talk about dynamite in terms of sticks? Quarter stick, half stick, full stick.

Assuming a 5 foot radius hole in standard woodland dirt conditions.

Same reason they use "1G" "2G" "3G" "4G" and "5G" to describe some function of cellular networks, even though every company has a different definition of it.

That seems rather large for such a stable explosive compound.

lel

On the surface it won't do much as the pressure wave takes the path of least resistance ie. into the air rather than into the ground. This is why everyone using explosives to move dirt / rock buries it.

Stable = chemically stable ie. won't degrade over time.
Dynamite is fairly stable but will sweat NG over time.

Sensitivity = the amount of energy (mechanical or electrical) it takes to cause detonation.
Dynamite is insensitive, it takes a decent sized blasting cap / detonator to get it to detonate, it doesn't care if you drop it or kick it around.

t. energeticsfag

Attached: The chemistry of powder and explosives.jpg (305x474, 51.43K)

The stick is about 200 feet wide and 450 feet long.

Dynamite is a loose clay mixed with nitroglycerin, which makes it into a tough dough consistency. Then carefully rolled into a paper tube, and allowed to cure in there. It's more stable than raw nitroglycerin since it can technically be cut, and won't go off if vibrated during transport, but it's not considered one of the "stable" explosives which are used as filler in artillery shells.
The classification of a truly stable explosive is one which can survive the 20-50 thousand g forces being launched out of a rifled cannon barrel. That was tough, in the beginning, when you didn't know if your cannon would explode if triggered.

Measuring holes by radius instead of depth is ridiculous though. A single standardized "stick" of dynamite weighs about 200g, and on normal rain-packed soil will dig a hole from 15-30cm in depth. On loose dry dirt the hole will be slightly more, on packed clay soil its going to be less, and on concrete its going to be nonexistant. 200g of dynamite will not inflict any damage on concrete or asphalt aside from cosmetic scarring and maybe a crack or two, if its a very shitty unreinforced concrete.

OP here, I ask because there have been 20-30 FBI-tier explosions in eastern burgerland recently and am just trying to gauge what it might be. Someone in one of the news articles (I don't remember which) said they found a hole supposedly from one of the blasts that was approx. 5ft in diameter. These are loud enough that it's definitely not fireworks or thunder, I hear them from 8-10 miles away. They did a news interview with a construction worker who was talking about the "sticks" thing and he said "they're definitely bigger than a stick of dynamite". Any other anons living in a 25 mile radius of Nockamixon State Park, Bucks County PA will have heard them as well. It's been a while since the last one but they were happening almost every other night last month.

phillyvoice.com/20-mysterious-explosions-over-two-months-bucks-county-pennsylvania-state-polce/

Also I should mention they happen between 2 and 4 AM.

It just happened again at 2:21 AM.
I feel like this would already have been on Zig Forums. Not like there's much they could do about it. The authorities are apparently "hard at work" on the case.

Attached: 1445972464054.jpg (482x427, 36.42K)

Probably just some guys fucking around.

Honestly if its just small craters in random patches of land its probably some kids fucking around with fireworks in a cast pipe. Dynamite doesn't make that big of a hole if its just one standard stick.

>>>Zig Forums11784078
They got him.

Attached: 150b123582662b183956ab7c76a33d49a02e51b95ee86013ff064c4b5a25301a.jpg (640x360, 29.5K)

Attached: humph.png (979x720, 718.24K)

You just can't set off 30 bombs in residential areas, I'm afraid. The absolute idiot was setting them off in a few mile's radius around his chemical supply business.

See, that's an amateur mistake. What you're supposed to do is pick your targets so they form a perfect five mile circle around someone else's bomb lab.