Want to get a Ruger GP-100. Should I get the 4.20" blaze it or 6" real man size barrel length?

Want to get a Ruger GP-100. Should I get the 4.20" blaze it or 6" real man size barrel length?

Attached: 1704.jpg (475x253 19.7 KB, 19.08K)

worst fetish
at least get 4" so yours is bigger than hers

For what purpose?

That is a horribly ugly revolver.

for having a .357 revolver to shoot with?

What is the point of this "modern revolver" with black plastic grips? Just get a fucking autoloader if you're going to forfeit the classic wood look (arguably the only reason to buy a revolver) then why not just buy an autoloader?

Buy a 10mm pistol instead.

I bought my S&W 686 with a 6" barrel and always regretted not getting the 4". The 4" was so much more balanced. It just felt better. The 6" LOOKS better, but if you hold them both in your hand you'll want the 4.2".

.357 mag is still a venerable cartridge; most medium and large-frame .357s are available in 7+ shots (making it no less reasonable than a 1911), but here's the real thing: they're fun to shoot, and there's a certain SOMETHING that makes them awesome. If there's no room for "I don't know, I just like it," then everyone should just get a Glock.

5 inch half lug or git fukt

Yes, and part of that "something" is the look and feel, which the GP-100s in OP ruin with tacticool plastic grips. Leave the tupperware to the autoloading crowd and get yourself some wood or ivory for your revolvers.

I will be getting aftermarket wood grips from hogue.

rather buy a non-gimmick caliber.

If you're willing to spend money to make your revolver pretty, why are you getting a GP-100 at all and not a S&W 686?

I don't want a stainless finish, plus i've heard modern S&W revolvers have QC issues.

Then get a 586.

They're a meme, see picrelated.

Attached: Ruger shills.PNG (1786x631, 143.63K)

To be fair, ALL revolvers have QC issues nowadays. It has to be a QC issue whenever a revolver breaks: like a 1911, it's such an old design that you'd think they'd know how to stamp out a halfway-reliable one by now. I've had two new Smiths that gave light primer strikes out of the box, and a Ruger that I had to send back to the factory because it was so badly out-of-time that I was afraid to fire it.

I like Ruger revolvers, but I will admit that I don't believe much in the "Ruger durability" axiom. The SP101 is RELATIVELY durable, in that it's bigger and heavier than a J-frame while still only giving you 5 shots. Similarly, the GP100 was a tank if you compare the 6-shot model to the 7-shot L-frame, but now they're making the GP100 a 7-shot as well, and I'm sure it's not as durable as the Smiths.

Honestly, if you're stuck using a handgun to defend yourself, having a fat 10mm is about the best-case-scenario. It's like .40 S&W's straight older brother, and sometimes they gang up on .357 Sig and make her cry.

One of my posts was capworthy, gowrsh, I feel special.

As far as chamber durability and blowy uppiness, in medium frames like the L frame and GP, 7 shot 357 Magnum's are supposedly stronger due to the placement of the locking notch, which is the weakest point in the 6 and 8 shot cylinders. The thinner cylinder wall to cylinder wall in the 7 still isn't as thin as the locking notch on a 6 shot. If you want a traditional 6 shot, and blued steel, yeah, 586 is the way to go in S&W.

If I remember correctly, in M-22 and M-25's the 45 Colt and 45 ACP cylinder walls at the locking notch are like 0.023 inches, pretty thin. You don't want to think about that too much when shooting them, and people who keep it standard 45 ACP don't seem to blow them up, some folks talk about hotrodding 45 ACP +p and 45 Super, well, you can do that, far away from me. Good modern gun steel is wonderful, but don't press your damned luck.

44 Magnum in a 6 shot M29 can handle the pressure for reportedly well over a hundred thousand rounds and still have no problems, with a notch thickness around .043 inches, if I can recall that correctly. So measure your wall thickness in a 7 shot revolver and see what that reads and think about it. I think my M27 6 shot enjoys .073 inches of thickness at the thinnest point, making it a beefy beefcake.

And keep thinking about how little amount of steel there is between your hands, your balls, your face, and that hotload you drop into that cylinder.

These are almost as tired as 9mm vs 45 memes.
Beside, pic related is superior anyway.
Stubby and powerful revolvers are fun. Which snub nose .44 magnum do you guys recommend?

Attached: MR-73.jpg (351x235, 19.21K)

You should learn to use the catalogue:

you should learn to spell catalog

You should learn how to spell like a civilized man.

Attached: english.png (404x480, 157.02K)

Don't you mean "civilised," redcoat?