Why does the Tornado receive all that hate from Zig Forums? Not a particular fan but I...

Gavin Flores
Gavin Flores

Why does the Tornado receive all that hate from Zig Forums?
is cheaper more cost effective version of F-111
can perform in almost all tactical AtS roles from SEADs to CAS (double engined, double 27mm guns)
equal low-level speed to fighters but with better range
one of the main coalition workhorses participating in all major NATO conflicts
still less than a handful of losses
probably the safest jet to fly near ground
the second best and second most versatile strike/attack-aircraft in existence after the contemporary, but considerably more expensive, F-15E, for two decades
so easy to fly even inbred saudi sandnogs can kill shit with it while suffering only one loss
decent agility and self-defense capacity for a dedicated interdictor
even it's fighter variant is a much better interceptor than it is given credit for
thedrive.com/the-war-zone/16752/how-sly-raf-tornado-crews-repeatedly-killed-u-s-navy-f-14s-and-f-a-18s-in-training
Not a particular fan but I think it gets way more shit than it deserves, especially when polemicist streloks neglect to emphasize how much more failing its predecessor/equivalent F-111 had, making the F-35 of its time but worse. If it came a decade earlier the Tornado would have been the wunderwaffe F-111 promised but failed to be.

Attached: pt-alarm.jpg (187.77 KB, 1600x1094)
Attached: PT-LOW.jpg (40.14 KB, 700x573)
Attached: PT2.jpg (92.56 KB, 800x600)
Attached: PT.jpg (154.18 KB, 800x600)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet#Letter_names
english.stackexchange.com/a/13464
itinerarium.github.io/phoneme-synthesis/

Hudson Foster
Hudson Foster

I don't know anything about aircraft but it's always comfy reading autistic discussions about them here

Attached: --phyllis-adams-original-drawn-by-hitoshi-hitoishi-14n2i5--35158bc9f176c1aec42a6cb61a2c7ec4.jpg (988.78 KB, 1200x1405)

Sebastian Sullivan
Sebastian Sullivan

I don't know much about modern aircraft but the Tornado makes my pee-pee hard.

Jose Clark
Jose Clark

M-maybe we can exchange contact info to be comfy together, fellow gyro-kun UwU
Jokes aside I am planning a jet-fighter based ΥΠΕΡ-ΑΤΟΥ styled card game, when I find reliable numbers about their performance, and it would be nice to find some fellow stratocaulous to sperg with.

Attached: 1454134139524.gif (1.24 MB, 303x307)

Grayson Jones
Grayson Jones

exchange contact info
user I…
only absolute πούστρες do that

Attached: AvV8fUf.gif (379.66 KB, 245x280)

Colton Miller
Colton Miller

N-no homo…

Attached: Hitomi-shocked-zps9e5e1d6a-(1).jpg (56.26 KB, 800x448)

Charles Walker
Charles Walker

The tornado is one of my favorite aircraft, but it gets a lot of flack for being one one "those" projects.
It took longer to develop than was anticipated, it had a lot of issues in it's first few generations and the development costs were far greater than what was originally planned. Obviously it isn't as bad of a money sink as the F-35, but when the first generation of Tornados didn't even have radar people were justifyably pissed.

It's sad that our government wants to replace it with the Eurofighter.

Zachary Sanders
Zachary Sanders

>It's sad that our government wants to replace it with the Eurofighter
It's even sadder that the Typhoon was proven to be sub-par in the AtS role, though I am not particularly informed on its deficiencies so I'm not putting my hand in the fire about it.

Re-engineeing all Tornado variants with the EJ 200 as it was one of the engine's original requirements would extend the Tornado's usefulness well past the 30s, and it would have the same upper performance limit with much higher fuel efficiency (the strong point of the Tornado) WITHOUT afterburners at only slightly greater cost. With the EJ200, slightly upgraded avionics and an AESA I bet even the Tornado F3 would become a competent fighter and would be able to finally do its originally intended mission (an extremely long-ranged supercruising interceptor to replace the F-4 in air-policing).

Christopher Brown
Christopher Brown

Mainly reasons what said.
The other being that it is relatively subpar when it comes to Interception and in the fighter role but if you use it for SEAD or just Bombing shit? It's unbelievably good and when the Tornado finally goes NATO will have a massive hole in their offensive capability.
It's part of the list of aircraft that desperately need an effective replacement but won't.

Jace Flores
Jace Flores

Because very few countries on Zig Forums have their national pride depending on the defense of some war machine designed by a political committee.

Lincoln Miller
Lincoln Miller

I have a massive hard on for any airframe with swing wing capabilities. I've had the pleasure of sitting in an armed Tornado with all the bells and whistles on. The Brits who invited me inside the aircraft were awesome dudes.
Also, those jets are fucking loud as shit, which also gives me a raging boner.

Christopher Stewart
Christopher Stewart

It's not slavshit so Zig Forums won't like it

Josiah Russell
Josiah Russell

I thought retirement was coming due to the airframes falling apart? They're way over their expected service life. Maintenance hours vs flight hours must be an absolutely horrible ratio. Most users are probably cannibalizing left and right to get a few airframes up. Fitting EJ200s won't fix this problem either. They'll alter the performance envelope, making the aircraft less capable at high speed low level flight and better at high altitude efficiency.
On that note, iirc the requirements for the Tornado were Recce, strike, intercept? Who needs long range supercruise for interceptor roles? I guess I could see that on Recce and maybe strike, but intercept?

The EF200 has had AtS/AtG problems because it just couldn't carry the right weaponry. The next Block upgrade is supposed to have that capability iirc.

Easton Sullivan
Easton Sullivan

Where did you see Tornado hate on Zig Forums?
It's a good strike aircraft, they're just old as fuck and need a replacement and suck at things they were never initially designed for (duh!).

Zachary Wright
Zachary Wright

Why is the pi symbol one of your letters

Luis Ramirez
Luis Ramirez

Because Greeks discovered pi, plebeian

Jackson Martin
Jackson Martin

pi
I wonder if foreigners know that an accurate translation would be literally pee and not pi.
π in Greek sounds like 'pee' in English. I expect that foreigners couldn't be taken seriously by saying pee so they went with pi instead I guess.

Kayden Long
Kayden Long

Actually you're the one inaccurately translating them. Π being pronounced as "pie" is how it was pronounced in classical Greek. It's only in modern Greek that it's pronounced as "pee". See:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet#Letter_names
english.stackexchange.com/a/13464

Brody Perry
Brody Perry

Ancient Greek is ancient because as with all dead languages we don't actually know how shit was pronounced.

Jason White
Jason White

It's actually speculative. And the official view is that it's peh, prolonged. like pehhh, obviously prolonging the eh sound, not the non-existent h. Pic related.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (24.06 KB, 679x256)

Nicholas Hughes
Nicholas Hughes

Try it out here:
itinerarium.github.io/phoneme-synthesis/
Enter:
/peː/

(that's not a colon, that's a Long,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Length_(phonetics)
).

Jayden Gonzalez
Jayden Gonzalez

It never was pronounced as 'pie' user. We only simplified the way we type the letter, not the way we pronounce it. Πεί is the same as Πί.
It sounds like 'pee' therefore the English 'pie' is objectively wrong.
Unless there's a lot more complicated Greek to English translation rules here that I'm overlooking

Kevin Russell
Kevin Russell

is cheaper more cost effective version of F-111
So it's obsolete?

Jackson Nelson
Jackson Nelson

cheaper
<obsolete
Like I said already, I don't know anything about aircraft but isn't being cheaper a good thing? Why would you use a F-111 over a Tornado?

Attached: question!.jpg (90.91 KB, 803x790)

Jaxson Thomas
Jaxson Thomas

Depends… do you have an aircraft to do the same or better job at the same price?

Hudson Johnson
Hudson Johnson

Someone please post more pictures of the Tornado.
It's so fucking sexy. The way the round radar cone transitions into the square central fuselage. The way the cockpit sits on top of it all. The square air intakes transitioning into round engines. The way the wings and rudder match in profile.
HNNNNNG.

Attached: 1.jpg (1.16 MB, 2100x1500)
Attached: 2.jpg (2.76 MB, 3000x2121)
Attached: 3.jpg (1.13 MB, 3000x2394)
Attached: 4.jpg (354.3 KB, 1280x853)
Attached: 5.jpg (852.24 KB, 2601x1775)

Isaac Smith
Isaac Smith

Well, nobody actually uses the F-111 anymore.

Colton Rivera
Colton Rivera

the way the radar cone transistions in the square central fuselage
I now have a fetish I never knew I had, thanks Kamerad.

Attached: --kaban-and-shoebill-kemono-friends-drawn-by-tsunamino-yuu--4bcbf6b6c1ce9c95a913b305eedc1f43.jpg (301.63 KB, 1004x1500)

Evan Diaz
Evan Diaz

I thought retirement was coming due to the airframes falling apart? They're way over their expected service life. Maintenance hours vs flight hours must be an absolutely horrible ratio. Most users are probably cannibalizing left and right to get a few airframes up
Pretty much this. Either it's build brand new Tornados or get brand new planes. We went with brand new planes but problem is it's not the planes we actually need.
Since you asked nicely. I need to sort out my plane folder sometime.
Not after you sacrificed all yours in a ritual burial to the plane god.

Attached: panavia-tornado-gr4-158688.jpg (178.55 KB, 1920x1200)
Attached: jet-m26-PANAVIA-TORNADO.jpg (62.99 KB, 800x544)
Attached: panavia-tornado-1680x1050.jpg (150.43 KB, 1600x1000)

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Disable AdBlock to view this page

Confirm your age

This website may contain content of an adult nature. If you are under the age of 18, if such content offends you or if it is illegal to view such content in your community, please EXIT.

Enter Exit

About Privacy

We use cookies to personalize content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyze our traffic. We also share information about your use of our site with our advertising and analytics partners.

Accept Exit