Why does the Tornado receive all that hate from Zig Forums?

Why does the Tornado receive all that hate from Zig Forums?
thedrive.com/the-war-zone/16752/how-sly-raf-tornado-crews-repeatedly-killed-u-s-navy-f-14s-and-f-a-18s-in-training
Not a particular fan but I think it gets way more shit than it deserves, especially when polemicist streloks neglect to emphasize how much more failing its predecessor/equivalent F-111 had, making the F-35 of its time but worse. If it came a decade earlier the Tornado would have been the wunderwaffe F-111 promised but failed to be.

Attached: PT.jpg (1600x1094 40.14 KB, 187.77K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet#Letter_names
english.stackexchange.com/a/13464
itinerarium.github.io/phoneme-synthesis/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Length_(phonetics)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I don't know anything about aircraft but it's always comfy reading autistic discussions about them here

Attached: __phyllis_adams_original_drawn_by_hitoshi_hitoishi_14n2i5__35158bc9f176c1aec42a6cb61a2c7ec4.jpg (1200x1405, 988.78K)

I don't know much about modern aircraft but the Tornado makes my pee-pee hard.

M-maybe we can exchange contact info to be comfy together, fellow gyro-kun UwU
Jokes aside I am planning a jet-fighter based ΥΠΕΡ-ΑΤΟΥ styled card game, when I find reliable numbers about their performance, and it would be nice to find some fellow stratocaulous to sperg with.

Attached: 1454134139524.gif (303x307, 1.24M)

user I…
only absolute πούστρες do that

Attached: AvV8fUf.gif (245x280, 379.66K)

N-no homo…

Attached: Hitomi_shocked_zps9e5e1d6a (1).jpg (800x448, 56.26K)

The tornado is one of my favorite aircraft, but it gets a lot of flack for being one one "those" projects.
It took longer to develop than was anticipated, it had a lot of issues in it's first few generations and the development costs were far greater than what was originally planned. Obviously it isn't as bad of a money sink as the F-35, but when the first generation of Tornados didn't even have radar people were justifyably pissed.

It's sad that our government wants to replace it with the Eurofighter.

>It's sad that our government wants to replace it with the Eurofighter
It's even sadder that the Typhoon was proven to be sub-par in the AtS role, though I am not particularly informed on its deficiencies so I'm not putting my hand in the fire about it.

Re-engineeing all Tornado variants with the EJ 200 as it was one of the engine's original requirements would extend the Tornado's usefulness well past the 30s, and it would have the same upper performance limit with much higher fuel efficiency (the strong point of the Tornado) WITHOUT afterburners at only slightly greater cost. With the EJ200, slightly upgraded avionics and an AESA I bet even the Tornado F3 would become a competent fighter and would be able to finally do its originally intended mission (an extremely long-ranged supercruising interceptor to replace the F-4 in air-policing).

Mainly reasons what said.
The other being that it is relatively subpar when it comes to Interception and in the fighter role but if you use it for SEAD or just Bombing shit? It's unbelievably good and when the Tornado finally goes NATO will have a massive hole in their offensive capability.
It's part of the list of aircraft that desperately need an effective replacement but won't.

Because very few countries on Zig Forums have their national pride depending on the defense of some war machine designed by a political committee.

I have a massive hard on for any airframe with swing wing capabilities. I've had the pleasure of sitting in an armed Tornado with all the bells and whistles on. The Brits who invited me inside the aircraft were awesome dudes.
Also, those jets are fucking loud as shit, which also gives me a raging boner.

It's not slavshit so Zig Forums won't like it

I thought retirement was coming due to the airframes falling apart? They're way over their expected service life. Maintenance hours vs flight hours must be an absolutely horrible ratio. Most users are probably cannibalizing left and right to get a few airframes up. Fitting EJ200s won't fix this problem either. They'll alter the performance envelope, making the aircraft less capable at high speed low level flight and better at high altitude efficiency.
On that note, iirc the requirements for the Tornado were Recce, strike, intercept? Who needs long range supercruise for interceptor roles? I guess I could see that on Recce and maybe strike, but intercept?

The EF200 has had AtS/AtG problems because it just couldn't carry the right weaponry. The next Block upgrade is supposed to have that capability iirc.

Where did you see Tornado hate on Zig Forums?
It's a good strike aircraft, they're just old as fuck and need a replacement and suck at things they were never initially designed for (duh!).

Why is the pi symbol one of your letters

Because Greeks discovered pi, plebeian

I wonder if foreigners know that an accurate translation would be literally pee and not pi.
π in Greek sounds like 'pee' in English. I expect that foreigners couldn't be taken seriously by saying pee so they went with pi instead I guess.

Actually you're the one inaccurately translating them. Π being pronounced as "pie" is how it was pronounced in classical Greek. It's only in modern Greek that it's pronounced as "pee". See:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_alphabet#Letter_names
english.stackexchange.com/a/13464

Ancient Greek is ancient because as with all dead languages we don't actually know how shit was pronounced.

It's actually speculative. And the official view is that it's peh, prolonged. like pehhh, obviously prolonging the eh sound, not the non-existent h. Pic related.

Attached: ClipboardImage.png (679x256, 24.06K)

Try it out here:
itinerarium.github.io/phoneme-synthesis/
Enter:
/peː/

(that's not a colon, that's a Long,
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Length_(phonetics)
).

It never was pronounced as 'pie' user. We only simplified the way we type the letter, not the way we pronounce it. Πεί is the same as Πί.
It sounds like 'pee' therefore the English 'pie' is objectively wrong.
Unless there's a lot more complicated Greek to English translation rules here that I'm overlooking

So it's obsolete?

Attached: question!.jpg (803x790, 90.91K)

Depends… do you have an aircraft to do the same or better job at the same price?

Someone please post more pictures of the Tornado.
It's so fucking sexy. The way the round radar cone transitions into the square central fuselage. The way the cockpit sits on top of it all. The square air intakes transitioning into round engines. The way the wings and rudder match in profile.
HNNNNNG.

Attached: 5.jpg (2100x1500 2.76 MB, 1.16M)

Well, nobody actually uses the F-111 anymore.

I now have a fetish I never knew I had, thanks Kamerad.

Attached: __kaban_and_shoebill_kemono_friends_drawn_by_tsunamino_yuu__4bcbf6b6c1ce9c95a913b305eedc1f43.jpg (1004x1500, 301.63K)

Pretty much this. Either it's build brand new Tornados or get brand new planes. We went with brand new planes but problem is it's not the planes we actually need.

Since you asked nicely. I need to sort out my plane folder sometime.

Not after you sacrificed all yours in a ritual burial to the plane god.

Attached: panavia_tornado-1680x1050.jpg (1920x1200 62.99 KB, 178.55K)