"NIJ IV is the highest you can go" Body Armor Thread #1

The first thread for rare, uncommon, and unknown body armor inserts, in addition to common inserts, that surpass NIJ IV level protection or are beyond common inserts.

NIJ 0101.07 is completely inadequate edition. GOST 50774-95 is better.

Attached: highasyoucango.png (1105x1006, 1.1M)

Other urls found in this thread:

bfy.tw/J6Hd
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

GOST 95 only goes up to 7.62x54R API, which makes it equivalent to (really a little bit less than, but the difference is small) NIJ Level IV

None of the threats it mentions are larger than standard level IV threats. It just markets itself as "level IV++," which is probably a marketing gimmick.

Show me the standard that tests for surviving 20 hits of .30-06 M2AP. That plate isn't "rated" for that, it has potentially survived that (I'll leave open the possibility that this is also a marketing gimmick and the fact that it's "rated" as surviving that is because of some theoretical "well, maybe it can survive 20 hits" bullshit, but for the purpose of argument I'll give it the benefit of the doubt). The reason there is no "rating" for surviving 20 hits of .30-06 is that any plate's ability to survive that is going to be highly dependent on shot placement. Shoot the plate 30 times as far apart from each other as possible, and it survives. Shoot it in a tight grouping, and it blows through after the first 5-6 shots.

Again, show me the rating scale that rates armor against .300 Winmag. In this case, I'd like to point out that standard NIJ level IV plates will also survive .300 Winmag, .338 lapua, etc. as vid related shows.

Again, I'm going to file this under the category of marketing gimmick. Show me how the plate consistently performs better than other NIJ level IV plates and I'd consider it a valid designation.

Doubt.jpg

It can probably survive "20 hits" if you hit it in a different spot so that it doesn't impact the same spot/near the same spot twice.

That's correct. The LIBA plate is a Aluminum Oxide Ball Matrix plate and thus the shots have to be spaced out to hit each ball. It's a gamed test, indeed, but the plate had some merit.

GOST 50774-95's GOST-6A also has superior BFD requirements of 17mm vs NIJ 0101.06's 44mm while also demanding 5-10 impacts of 7.62x54R B-32 API to 0101.06's Level IV requirement of just one impact of .30-06 M2AP. It's significantly better than NIJ Level IV.

IV+ is typically reserved for 7.62x54R B-32 API. IV++ is likely used to demonstrate improved multi-hit capacity. the MARS Steel plate is obviously steel, which is a whole different ball game compared to Ceramic.

Sandpaper body armor? Has any youtuber nigger -rigged this?

This Youtuber didn't even use the clay block backing, when the armor is set up like that not only do you miss the whole important clay backer impact analysis it also lets the plate dissipate energy by moving with the bullet, diminishing the value of the test. When any object moves with the momentum of the bullet it will decrease the damage and terminal performance of a bullet, that's why the best steel target setups for rifle are on chain swings so they can swing with the impact and reduce damage.

After watching other videos I conclude that Level IV can't effectively stop high power 338 Magnums of many types to save someone's life, certainly not keep them in the battle, at closer ranges. In some of that BUFF guy's tests he did the proper thing to get proper results, the 338 Fed magnum was stopped at 40 feet, but the resultant damage to the clay indicates survival could not be guaranteed, the person would at least be severely injured and most certainly incapacitated.

There comes a point where hard body armor, too, suffers from severe blunt force trauma. Perhaps IV armor can stop a 300 WinMag or 300 H&H Magnum with soft points, but I would refuse to rate this to survive 338 Lapua.

How long until we have the technology to mass-produce cheap and light armor that can stop multiple 12mm AP rounds without the user feeling any pain?

Attached: jin-roh-the-wolf-brigade-02.png (1280x692, 712.28K)

Attached: 63586345.jpg (700x525, 133.37K)

Wearing a iv plate and being hit with a .303 at less than 30 yards I can tell you you will feel that for quite sometime after.

GOST 50774-95 is total mess is much worse than previous GOST 51136-2008 lumping together widely different threats and doesn't fix any of its problems like not covering such special threats as tungsten carbide perpetrators and AP pistol rounds.

Haha silly, the sides are only 38mm thick. Even a Wz. 35 could go through that at close range

Art of the Trauma Plate is not known on the West.

Hooktube is dead mate, it no longer protects from Youtube's cancer. It's like directly linking to Youtube. Pointless

I know.

Not fully.

Its was more of me throwing on a vest and gong home from work. Honestly even trauma plates fall deaf on the ivans, as in they dont believe in the extra weight

AHAHAHA
AR500 fags BTFO forever.

Attached: 6544786456.jpg (768x2016, 220.25K)

What about that III+ AR500 that can stop M193 at 3200fps out of a 20" barrel?

How well would gambeson work today with the materials that we have today?

Attached: 5de51d1af1966464ca48e431a000f86a.jpg (557x670, 85.67K)

I've been looking into the feasibility of a UHMWPE bodysuit of some kind. Apparently the North Hollywood shootout guys had something like that except with aramids (probably Kevlar). Because of the weight to strength ratio of UHMWPE fibres you'd probably be able to use a plate carrier with it.

Incidentally, it seems that the weave with the best ballistic performance is satin, but satin has the worst abrasive resistance.

Attached: Screenshot_20180718_114906.png (544x330 56.21 KB, 24.55K)

Soft body armor is literally modern gambeson.

A hauberk more than a gambeson, one piece put on like t-shirt,cover upper arms and mid-tight, no opening because we don't ride horses anymore but a nice pleated skirt instead for ease of movement.

Attached: they called us crazy2.jpg (750x499 170.21 KB, 114.52K)

would you care to tell what exactly was this funny armor and what were it's properties?

Attached: lordhelmet.jpg (1280x720, 33.56K)

It's exactly what you think a soft flak armor (somewhere around IIIA in dyneema IIRC) hauberk for crews.

Skirts indeed are better than those horrible groin protectors but i think that vertically articulated skirt would be even better for both mobility and air flow.

Find that standard, all I could find was GOST 50774-95 but for glass.

Is plate armor a meme?
I have a full set and it weighs like 40lbs, I can barely breath.

bfy.tw/J6Hd

51136-2008, not 50774-95.

Guys, is this actual armor they are wearing, or some plastic "riot" thing good against fists only? If it's real what is it exactly?

Attached: Austrian-Military-Police-2.jpg (1968x1312, 369.73K)

looks like either plastic or sheet metal
riot shit given to grunts to give them the illusion of protection like their motorcycle helmets with plexiglass bolted to it
could be wrong though

might be a fiberglass-ceramic-fiber-kevlarish mix now that i think about it

I didn't realize how much I needed a ballistic gambeson underneath a boron carbide brigandine coat until now.