Company Building 3D-Printed Homes For Just $10,000,maybe be down to $4,000

Austin startup ICON unveiled a new method of mass producing small homes with a massive 3D printer in a process that the company says takes just 12 to 24 hours. At the annual film and innovation festival known as SXSW, the company showed off how it could construct a 650-square-foot house out of cement in one day.

Partnering with housing solutions nonprofit New Story, the Texas builders are hoping to achieve their vision of creating sustainable, “quality homes accessible to everyone.” ICON isn’t just focused on building homes fast, but is aiming to make them extremely affordable as well.

Using an industrial sized Vulcan printer, ICON says it can currently build their single-story home for $10,000 but is working to drop that cost to just $4,000. “It’s much cheaper than the typical American home,” ICON co-founder Jason Ballard told The Verge. In comparison, some Americans have chosen to downsize into “tiny homes” which can cost nearly $40,000 and are only between 200 and 400-square-feet in size.

“(ICON) believes, as do I, that 3D printing is going to be a method for all kinds of housing,” New Story co-founder Alexandria Lafci added. The presentation at SXSW comes after a report from the World Resources Institute estimated that 1.2 billion people live in cities without affordable or secure housing.

denver.cbslocal.com/2018/03/12/3d-printed-homes-10000-dollars/

Attached: New Story ICON 3D Printed Homes for the Developing World.mp4 (640x360, 6.77M)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/xYkZW
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoclaved_aerated_concrete
sciencealert.com/scientists-have-made-concrete-using-plastic-waste-and-it-s-just-as-strong-as-regular-concrete
twitter.com/AnonBabble

well, trailer parks exist already, and these homes would be static, so… where's the benefit again?

Attached: box life.png (588x343, 249.8K)

They’d be considerably more resistant to tornados and fires.

The homes will be so cheap that it will help stamp out homelessness. The big problem is that many homeless people are homeless due to terrible life decisions like petty crime and drug abuse. So even if you make a small town with a few hundred super cheap printed homes you still have the issue of it being a dangerous slum due to the sorts of people that will live there.
Now if they could make cheap 3D printed prisons/rehab centers then at least they'd be a benefit to society.

I doubt they will be expensive, if a developed has prime location land to build on he's not going to stick plastic houses on it. 3D printed homes will be put in areas where the land is virtually worthless.

Did you even read?
Unless there's some plastic cement I've never heard of before.

quonset huts are cheaper, more efficient, more durable. and dont require a massive 3d printer.

Insulation for those are very expensive, thermal and humidity-based, compared to the density of a cement construction
Not to say that, depending on the angle and height of the rooms, you get the cheap side too with cement

Fucking up the price of housing so people need to be in debt their whole lives was deliberate, no question in my mind that many attempts will be made to shut this operation down.

Sad to say but I think you're right. Only time will tell of course. And so long as its been proven possible to design a house in this way, innovative people will still be able to find a way to make a house even with restrictions put against them. This technology will help Poo in Loos and Latin Americans the most, I think.

Literal cuck shed.

Land is $200,000 in shit areas though
Its $700,000 for a shit area of Sydney

How much per acre?

retard retard !

no it wasn't, you dipshit. It was a natural outcome of urbanization. pretty much all of us would be renters of the US gov't hadn't come up with the 30 yr fixed-rate mortgage and all kinds of subsidy systems. read about the history of the Savings & Loan Industry retard

these aren't any cheaper than trailers

lol no. when it comes to tornadoes, you either have a basement or you don't. if you don't you're pretty much fucked. you can hide in an inner bathroom or whatever, but I wouldn't trust that shit. trailer parks, if they're worth anything, have storm shelters

Shut-up faggot.

I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO DO THIS FOR YOU COCKSUCKER

archive.fo/xYkZW

archive.fo/xYkZW

archive.fo/xYkZW

archive.fo/xYkZW

archive.fo/xYkZW

archive.fo/xYkZW

archive.fo/xYkZW

archive.fo/xYkZW

archive.fo/xYkZW

archive.fo/xYkZW

archive.fo/xYkZW

archive.fo/xYkZW

archive.fo/xYkZW

educate yourself, kiddo

Attached: 1465156412171.jpg (225x253, 44.13K)

shut up faggot…

There are at least two vacant houses for every hobo in the United States. Since we, evidently, can't just move the homeless into these houses, what makes you think 3D printed houses will be the solution?

Yeah but it's made by a COMPANY which is exploiting the proletariat and making homes more expensive, not less. The rising standard of living for poor people doesn't mean anything as long as rich people are still allowed to be rich.

Attached: cee.jpg (3000x2250, 475.63K)

Maybe the 3D printers will come in nice big cardboard boxes that the hobos can live in once they are discarded on the side streets

Attached: Terry A. Davis.jpg (480x640, 111.2K)

Meh. Russians did it first.

I want one tbh. Storage containers are the next best thing at $2k/per but after insulation and fitting it with plywood you're looking at $12k +.

Look at the house pics, they look like shit, no one is going to pay for that. People will rent before buying those abominations.

why the curved angles? they're shit for space use (furniture is at right angles, not curved), are they trying to keep the Hounds of Tindalos out or what?

at least it's not one of the usual targets, but that's still a lame post user

If you are going to critize and ideology, do it right retard. Capitalism allows richs to speculate with the bare needs for survival, that means this houses will increase the speculation bubble, instead of decreasing prices

Attached: 26dx2u.jpg (743x500, 173.66K)

look at all those poor people not getting free shit

Are you a homeowner in distress because this technology may lower your property values?

those arent "poor people" they are drug addicts, felons, and recently divorced men
normal poor people like me can still afford to live in an apartment. i make minimum wage and rent a two bedroom by myself with no welfare

I'd gladly buy one if the price was reasonable, instead of throwing my rent money into a hole every month. You'd save money living in one of these shitty houses over living in some shitty apartment over a long enough period, during which you can save up for a proper family home.

You need to leave now, you're the reason housing prices suck, aside from (((moishe))).

Where do you live? Minimum wage wouldnt for pay a room for rent in my area.

Are they using aircrete?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoclaved_aerated_concrete

I have no idea why poor people live in cities. And don't tell me it's because they can't afford to leave, they can't afford to live there either.

650 sq ft is not static. They can be moved the same way that mobile (trailer) homes are. Do you picture double wide trailers being hitched to a truck and towed around? They're put on flat beds to be moved.

sciencealert.com/scientists-have-made-concrete-using-plastic-waste-and-it-s-just-as-strong-as-regular-concrete
Using plastic in cement is actually becoming pretty common on modern building sites, recycled or not.
And just as a reminder to everyone most all housing as an investment is flat when compared to inflation. You get your massive rises but there are also drops that people like to ignore.

Rounded edges because it is printed by a rotating printing head. You could make shape edges but there would be problems structurally and the machine would have to be bigger to accommodate or the house made smaller.

Lots of poor people are born in the city and never think to leave. Lots go to the city thinking that is where the jobs are. Lots are just too dumb or lazy to look for a rural job. Lots of people being waiters or a like trying to make it rich as an actor or sell their screenplay, and "you have to be in the city to sell a screenplay/get a role/make connections" even though it's the digital age and Plague of Gripes gets along just fine on his farm.

Oops, this machine is different from the Russian one. It follows a grid system. The curved edges are just to be continuous and stable as apposed to hard right angles.

Even the "rural" areas here are taken by the rich. They want to have big fancy houses away from the riff-raff and a scenic view.

Great. Austin, the city of faggots, teen pregnancy, and tons of bars but very few presentable establishments is the perfect place to set up nigger-tier slums since the apartments weren't bad enough apparently.

Take my word for it, no landowner is going to do this since the land is worth way more and they'd rather sell it to a builder that wants to put in apts/offices.

You are a sociopath, not even a poltard. I think yoy shold be on reddit whinning like a goid neocon.
By the way, you didn't make an argument against uaa falling apart because capitalism is a failure

Congrats, now comes the hard part, your personal experience isn't an argument, it's a fallacy

To some people, a park bench is home.

Attached: bigguy54.png (1020x370, 492.34K)

There's nothing new about these except coming from a 3-D printer, that's the gimmick. As someone else says it won't take any time for the price to skyrocket.
We've been building tiny houses for years - long before some citidiot declared it "cool." They're called hunting cabins. They can be built with basically scraps of wood and odds & ends for almost no money.
Of course now we have these people who sell tiny house kits for starting at $80,000 . It's ridiculous but there are idiots out there willing to pay $100,000 for a 500 sq ft "house."
This will be the same thing.

t. reactionarytard
Go suck a dick, fascist. The proles are waking up.

The proles voted for Trump.

You have never seen a homeless "person". They are animals that shit in the streets. They need to be poisoned off like the rats they are.

Not all homeless people are bad, but generally the good ones don't stay on the street for long.

Sounds like a neat idea, but you can already build a tiny shack with concrete foundation and wood for under $10,000 if you skip electrical and plumbing. You can use rainwater for showers, outhouse for toilet, and solar power for electrical. I would not want a plastic home.

Thomas Edison did the same thing in the early 1900s. Nothing new here, it's the regulations on utilities and zoning and shit that make houses expensive, not the house.

Without regulations, we would have slums of niggers and spics in tin shacks shitting in the streets and fucking everything up.

I could build that for $4000(out where no stores exist)

Move out of the city then, faggot. Or at least to a smaller one.

Without zoning laws and other housing regulations, houses would be cheap enough that you could afford to live in a gated community away from the niggers and spics in a better quality house with your grocery store within walking distance (possibly inside the gated community), and you wouldn't have to worry about progressive cops hounding you over bullshit the democrat mayor passed. Fuck off.

I like this irrelevant fact that they tacked on. These $4K houses are not a solution to that problem. The source of that statistic even says it's not a solution, as it relocates people to the periphery of the city.
It's not use having a $4K house if it is sitting on $1M of land. You know: the kind of land prices that you get in a city.

Really, the problem with inner-city housing is that those people needing housing are garbage people who shit up wherever they live. They're little better than animals. Only a state can justify throwing money into a black hole: as that is what maintenance of these housing complexes amounts to because the animals living there fuck everything up and leave the place a squalid mess. That's really why poor people don't have affordable housing: not even the government wants to throw that kind of money at keeping a housing complex in a state where bleeding-heart liberals won't cry over it. If money were to be made, the Jews would already be doing it. It's just another instance of liberals being "compassionate" by spending other people's money.

If we got rid of the 40 million illegal beaners in the USA, then we'd have plenty of housing for the White homeless, as well as more jobs for them, and more money for indigent health care.

Been saying this for years.

Is it really THAT hard to just let them die? Just stop feeding the fucks and they'll die off on their own.

Then fucking move or don't work minimum wage jobs.

>>>Zig Forums

I guess you have to fucking go somewhere else then, eh?

Attached: eirin but why.jpg (850x566, 65.92K)

Attached: U mad bro.jpg (259x195, 7.86K)

It's an anecdote but not necessarily a fallacy. By the way, saying that because it is common, the victims aren't at fault is.

Oh yes comrade, in communism, the party leaders don't simply take bare necessities and the peasants are well taken care of.

Attached: muhsix.jpg (434x271, 34.65K)

Nigger if you, or really anyone, can find me a trailer between 4000 to 10000 dollars please let me know. I have been living in this trailer built in 1951 for 23 years and it is falling apart at the seams. Everywhere I look I cannot find trailers cheaper than about 20000 at the rock bottom lowest, and usually when they are that cheap its because they are one room garbage or something like that.

Russia had famines and crop failure before Communism, but yeah, Commies totally control the weather.