What are some books about Orthodoxy and Catholic belief/theology that a brainlet like me can understand?

What are some books about Orthodoxy and Catholic belief/theology that a brainlet like me can understand?

Attached: ladda ned (7).jpeg (207x243, 5.63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Orthodox-Way-Kallistos-Ware-ebook/dp/B008P0J5R6/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1518791277&sr=1-1&keywords=the orthodox way
amazon.com/Living-God-Catechism-Christian-Volumes/dp/0881410403
ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf209.iii.iv.i.i.html
restlesspilgrim.net/blog/2016/02/25/orthodoxy-and-contraception/
amazon.com/Russian-Church-Papacy-Vladimir-Soloviev/dp/1888992298/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: 318391.jpg (263x400, 22.1K)

bump

Orthodox don't even understand their own theology lol

Taylor Marshall/Trent Horn books. Or Catechism. Dunno about Orthies.

Two Paths: Papal Monarchy collegial tradition. The Book clearly lays out how there is no way to get from the early Church to the current claims of the papacy. All Theology is fairly secondary to this issue but for that i would suggest Orthodox Dogmatic Theology, most people read The Orthodox way but it is very entry level and written by a very liberal bishop.

Attached: 12jiod.jpeg (181x293, 6.87K)

You mean claims

Why is one of your canonized Pope saints kissing a Qu'ran and participating in a pagan ritual? Both of these count as apostasy pre Vatican 2. It isn't just clear the Catholic Church doesn't follow the system of the 1st millennium, they can't even keep their act straight in a single century. The book lays out how you apostatised from the tradition of the Church.

Attached: 2.jpg (313x161 42.88 KB, 8.32K)

Please stop. I know you really want to fight in this belligerent time of the year (after all, what's more violent than Lent?) but just try to answer OP's question.

I heard Mgr Kallistos Ware's book "The Orthodox Way" is good. amazon.com/Orthodox-Way-Kallistos-Ware-ebook/dp/B008P0J5R6/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1518791277&sr=1-1&keywords=the orthodox way

What I had to read for my Orthodox catechesis was "The Living God." It's alright but very entry-level. amazon.com/Living-God-Catechism-Christian-Volumes/dp/0881410403

For something more complex, check out John Damascene's work, "Exposition of the Orthodox Faith." ccel.org/ccel/schaff/npnf209.iii.iv.i.i.html

If you just mean books that will help you understand the theology of both churches, I’d recommend the Catechism of St. Pius X for Catholicism and the Catechism of St. Philaret Drozdo for Orthodoxy. Both are online for free

Lossky's The Mystical Theology of the Eastern church and Feser's Aquinas: A Beginner's Guide.

"The Law of God" by Seraphim Slobodskoy for learning about Orthodoxy

"The Orthodox Church" by Timothy Ware is THE definitive introduction to Orthodoxy.

"The Catechism of the Catholic Church" is, or at least is intended to be, the same for the Roman Church. Even so, a lot of people, especially the Jesuits, don't seem to take it all that seriously, even though they really ought to.

Attached: 41K2hsyvlZL._SX370_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (325x499 32.87 KB, 53.14K)

Mere christianity's final chapter is about theology.
It's a must read anyway.

GUYS STOP

Instead of the endless bickering between each other, why don't we just provide OP with what he wants?

We can give him sources for both of our churches and he can form his own logical conclusion.

Attached: cloistered nun.jpg (360x480, 38.67K)

This, also Lazarus bump

Thanks a lot. Been looking for a Catholic equivalent to Ware's book on Orthodoxy for a little while now.

They aren't at all similar in what they are or their goal. The catechism is an authoritative overview of Catholic beliefs largely meant for clergy and catechists, but obviously can and should be read by lay as well. (Orthodox can't have this as they have no unity to authoritatively have anything)

The book by Ware also gradually permits grave evils like contraception
restlesspilgrim.net/blog/2016/02/25/orthodoxy-and-contraception/

unchanging tradition

For an introductory book to the Catholicism generally some general recommendations might be
I'd recommend Orthodoxy, and Theology for Beginners most likely but referencing the Catechism or just reading through it might be good but I can't expect it'd be that compelling.

And for a good book that explores the Orthodox Church in relation to the Pope amazon.com/Russian-Church-Papacy-Vladimir-Soloviev/dp/1888992298/

Catechism of St. Pius X (Catholic) - www.ewtn.com/library/CATECHSM/PIUSXCAT.HTM
Catechism of St. Philaret (Orthodox) - www.pravoslavieto.com/docs/eng/Orthodox_Catechism_of_Philaret.htm

This. Across the entire board. This. Blessed are the peacemakers for they shall be called the children of God.