Why aren't there any direct prayers to the Holy Spirit?

Or at least, I can't think of any. The Holy Spirit is a person, the Holy Spirit is God, so I don't see why people don't directly pray to him. There are prayers to the Father (like the Pater Noster) and there are prayers to the Son (like the Domine Iesu) but there aren't really a lot of prayers directly to the Holy Spirit. What's up with that?

Attached: Holy_Trinity_statue_at_the_facade_of_Holy_Trinity_Church_in_Barihan,_Malolos,_Bulacan.jpg (4608x3456, 7.03M)

Other urls found in this thread:

preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Spiritus/LitDeSanctoSpiritu.html
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Spiritus/HoraeSS.html
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Angeli/OAngeliceSpiritus.html
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Hymni/NuncSancte.html
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Spiritus/OCreatorSS.html
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Spiritus/OSS.html
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Angeli/ObsecroTeAngeliceSpiritus.html
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Hymni/VeniRedemptorG.html
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Basics/VSS.html
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Spiritus/VSS-3.html
youtube.com/watch?v=H9vqc697oIs
myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/prayerbook/sleep.htm#4)
catholic.org/prayers/prayer.php?p=336
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veni_Sancte_Spiritus
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

there are a few in Orthodoxy

O Heavenly King?

There-s a litany
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Spiritus/LitDeSanctoSpiritu.html

There's the Hours of the Holy Spirit
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Spiritus/HoraeSS.html

Here are some prayers
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Angeli/OAngeliceSpiritus.html
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Hymni/NuncSancte.html
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Spiritus/OCreatorSS.html
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Spiritus/OSS.html
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Angeli/ObsecroTeAngeliceSpiritus.html
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Hymni/VeniRedemptorG.html
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Basics/VSS.html
preces-latinae.org/thesaurus/Spiritus/VSS-3.html

Before Reading the Holy Scriptures

Prayer to the Holy Spirit

Come, Holy Spirit, and fill the hearts of Thy faithful, and enkindle in them the fire of Thy love.

V. Send forth Thy Spirit, and they shall be created,

R. and Thou shalt renew the face of the earth.

Let us pray.

O God, Who didst instruct the hearts of the faithful by the light of the Holy Spirit, grant us by the same Spirit to have a right judgment in all things and ever to rejoice in His consolation. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.

Indulgence of five years, Plenary indulgence, under the usual conditions, if the prayer has been recited daily for a month. (Enchiridion Indulgentiarum, 289)

Huh, I stand corrected. Thank you!

O heavenly King, Comforter, Spirit of Truth; Who art everywhere present and fillest all things. Treasury of Blessings and giver of life: Come and abide in us and cleanse us from every impurity, and save our souls, O Good One ☦

HOLY GOD, HOLY MIGHTY ONE, HOLY IMMORTAL ONE HAVE MERCY ON US

youtube.com/watch?v=H9vqc697oIs

There's also the prayer of St. Ephraim the Syrian to the Holy Spirit (myriobiblos.gr/texts/english/prayerbook/sleep.htm#4) which is one of the standard Orthodox evening prayers.

Still there are a lot less than to the Father or to the Son. I don't know why; perhaps we simply have an easier time seeing the other two Persons of the Trinity as actually persons that we could address petitions or praises to.

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us

its like getting exp points

Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created. And You shall renew the face of the earth.

O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations, Through Christ Our Lord, Amen.

usually we use the short version:
Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love. Amen

Yup, but instead of leveling up, you get less days in Purgatory (if you do not go to Hell, ofc).

That's an old edition of the Enchiridion.

not valid anymore or what?

I think so.

Bump for genuine interest

when you pray to God you pray to all his aspects/personas. You can pray to his son and its like praying to him

I've always found it ironic that, for the One without form, there are few symbols for the Holy Spirit as opposed to the Father and the Son

Attached: IMG_20170506_132551414.jpg (4160x2340 2.82 MB, 2.58M)

mystic star sucks. Use holy bolt.

catholic.org/prayers/prayer.php?p=336
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veni_Sancte_Spiritus

There you go

Where is this from

An old book on/called Christan Symbolism. I forget the author but it's the only source I've found for the stars and flames. It's quite in depth and I'd recommend it if I could find it again. You can find some of the illustrations floating around online

Um, the symbol for the Son is His incarnate human body, which can and is pictured in iconography.

Also, the Dove is used as a symbol of the Spirit, because of the lines in the gospels concerning Christ's baptism.

The Dove is the most common but there are very few others that are widely used to represent the Holy Spirit, which us kind of ironic if you think about it.
The Son has His body incarnate and plenty of monogams, the Jesus fish, Chi-Rho, and almost innumerable crosses.
The Father has the Hand of God, Eye of God, and several from the Old Testament. Also full face/body images in some depictions.
Just weird how that works out.

Attached: monogram_page1.png (299x480 112.27 KB, 122.26K)