Vapers and non-smokers have the same flourishing gut flora

The first study of its kind has found that people who vape have the same mix of gut bacteria as non-smokers, whilst smokers have significant changes to their microbiome.

The international team of researchers led by Newcastle University, analysed the bacteria of tobacco smokers, users of e-cigarettes and non-smokers from samples throughout the digestive tract, including in the mouth and gut.

Significant changes were found in the gut bacteria of the smokers, with an increase in the Prevotella bacteria which is linked to an increased risk of colon cancer and colitis.

There was also a decrease in the presence of Bacteroides in smokers, a beneficial bacteria or probiotic. A lower level of Bacteroides has been associated with Crohn's disease and obesity.

In contrast, the gut flora of those using e-cigarettes was the same as a non-smoker.

Lead author of the study was Dr Christopher Stewart from the Institute of Cellular Medicine at Newcastle University who published the findings today in PeerJ. He explains: "The bacterial cells in our body outnumber our own human cells and our microbiome weighs more than our brain, yet we are only just beginning to understand its importance on our health.

"More investigation is needed but to find that vaping is less-damaging than smoking on our gut bacteria adds to the incentive to change to e-cigarettes and for people to use them as a tool to quit smoking completely."

Comparing microbiota

This pilot study is the first to compare microbiota in tobacco smokers and electronic cigarette users.

Samples were taken from 10 e-cigarette users, 10 tobacco smokers and 10 controls who didn't smoke. Faecal, mouth (buccal) and saliva samples underwent targeted gene sequencing to identify the bacteria present.

This revealed significant changes in the gut bacteria of the faecal samples.

In the mouth and saliva samples, which are sites directly exposed to the smoke or vapour, the researchers also found that the bacteria in smokers was different to those of the non-smokers. However, like in the gut, the bacteria in the mouth and saliva samples were similar in e-cigarette users and non-smokers.

Dr Stewart adds: "This research comes as we see a huge increase in the numbers of people using electronic cigarettes and it becomes increasingly important that we understand the effect on the human body."

As more people take up vaping, the team call for further research to be carried out and to follow up on this pilot study, they are aiming to study a much larger group over a longer period. They also suggest that further investigation into sex-specific microbiota profiles is carried out, as this study involved only two women.

eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-04/nu-van042718.php

Attached: Clipboard.jpg (2400x900, 452.54K)

Other urls found in this thread:

articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2018/04/25/vaping-e-cigarettes-epidemic.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm going to smoke real tobacco forever. I can grow it. You can't grow vials of proprietary tobacco flavoring. If it kills me, so what?

people create their own vape flavors all the time.

More like:
So what, indeed. You may as well kill yourself right now and skip the bullshit.

articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2018/04/25/vaping-e-cigarettes-epidemic.aspx

Literally fake news, you leftist tobacco shill.

Stomach?
WTF about the lungs?

It's almost as if nicotine is not the relevant component of tobacco smoke?

Both vapers and smokers belong in the gas chamber. Stop giving money to (((Philip Morris))) you junkies.

Sucking anything besides air into your lungs isn't 100% good, but vaping is less harmful than cigarettes. A lot of the "concern" regarding the health issues is largely due to states not getting the taxes from vaping that they do from tobacco.

You shouldn't take OP's article to mean that it's time to start chasing the biggest clouds, brah, but it is evidence supporting that vaping is better than smoking.

Attached: we get it.png (499x334, 162.28K)

as opposed to what?

fuck off shitburglar

Nicotine was always just a more addictive cousin of caffeine. The whole point of vape was removing the harmful shit so you just had the nicotine and maybe a little herbal oils for flavoring the glycerin/water solution. It's also why vapes that substitute nicotine with caffeine/taurine/B-vitamins are so nice to vape without the sugar rush/fake sugar rush you get from all the sweeteners in energy drinks. Honestly it pisses me off that smokers have doubled down as hard as they have on E-cigs when E-cigs are extending people's lives and making their lives more productive/"healthy" in terms of decades than they ever would have been smoking. I've been a proponent of E-cigs pretty much since they started getting notoriety back in 2010ish due to the FDA not being able to tax them since they were an "electronic product" at the time.

Hipster faggots who vape for the sake of vaping can get fucked, but this is a real, working technology that is actively saving people's fucking lives, and the cunts bitching about vape as a meme can eat shit. A real cig is nice once in a while when drunk the same way cooking shit on a campfire and getting shit tons of soot in your face from a strong wind once in a while is nice, but vape mimics both the habit (dick-in-mouth syndrome) and the addiction (nicotine) of cigarettes, and you can't honestly argue that cigarettes are less harmful when a damp paper test shows the differences.

Attached: 2f7c5c585f57a79e00a1012965320e853fb2e4e0150868b40fc96cfe85a1606c.gif (484x313, 49.07K)

Never smoked but I vape for the anti anxiety effects. Slowed down considerably now that I no longer work at a shit job where I needed the repetitive habit to not go insane. Also helps with my sweet tooth. I found the caffeine mixed fluid made me jittery as fuck, don't get that with energy drinks/coffee.

As opposed to pulling your head out of your ass and realizing that life is worth living, you massive fucking faggot.

Large Tobacco invades Zig Forums - More at 10

Smoke Niaraguan Black Cigars

ffs don't inhale

Oh wow what a good sarcastic headline. We all know sarcasm is a mark of good journalism.

I never see anyone vaping corporate disposible ecigs. Everyone uses mods from vape shops and ejuice made by smaller companies. Fuck anyone that buys big tobacco vape though. The only reason the FDA regulated vape was at the behest of big tobacco trying to put the smaller businesses out of business to gain control over the industry.

Become a real man and only vape with Phillip Morris products. Everything else is shit!

t. big tobacco lobbyist

I think it had more to do with the FDA not being able to tax vape pens originally, though I'm sure the tobacco industry got involved when they realized they could smash competition.

Vaping is great. You can do it in your home or car and the smell doesn't seep into everything it touches like tobacco. It's more economical and there's a billion different flavors. You can even mix in cbd juice.

Lol smoking
How about stop being a degenerate.

Real funny, m8

Attached: 5757E52C-F243-46C0-86B9-534142B921FF.gif (315x306, 3.36M)

If that was the case they just could have taxed it, instead of trying to ban it outright.
They did the same to cloves in 2009 at the behest of big tobacco.