Japanese Students Hatching and Raising Chickens Before Killing and Eating Them

For the past 60 years, every generation of freshman students at Izumo Agricultural and Forestry High School, in Izumo, Japan’s Shimane prefecture, has taken the “Class of Life”, a controversial six-month course during which the students help hatch and raise chickens, before having to slaughter and eat them.

Last year, the Class of Life at Izumo High School started in October, when they were presented with around 60 chicken eggs. Under the guidance of a teacher, they prepared them for incubation, washing them, arranging them in a special tray and learning to adjust the humidity and temperature on the incubator. For the next three weeks, they were in charge of monitoring the eggs and making sure that the right conditions for hatching were met. Once the chicks hatched, each student had to pick one and raise it as their own, knowing full well that in just a few months they would have to kill and eat it.

The students were responsible for the well-being and proper growth of the chickens. They had to feed them, change their water frequently, monitor the temperature of their enclosure, as well as weight them periodically and record their progress. As you can imagine, some students get attached to the chickens, with some going as far to treat them like pets, despite knowing the gruesome conclusion of the class. Other try their best not to get to close to the birds, for that exact same reason. For example, Arakawa Yumesui, one of the students taking the Class of Life last year, told Nippon TV that she did not dare name her chicken for fear of attachment. Even so, when the time came to take its life, she said she felt uneasy because it was kind of like a pet to her.

odditycentral.com/news/controversial-high-school-class-has-students-hatching-and-raising-chickens-before-killing-and-eating-them.html

Other urls found in this thread:

morningchores.com/meat-chickens/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This is cruel and stupid
a poultry farmer raises thousands of chickens every month and doesn't bond with a single chicken and then kill it

To what is it cruel?

Roastie gets triggered by reality and other believable tales.

This is probably going to raise the manliness level of the country, good job Japan.

Reminds me of all those military/intelligence community copypastas where they got an animal at the beginning of their training and had to kill it at the end.

Attached: Catnip or the dog dies.jpg (960x800, 150.08K)

do you mean 'Kingsman'?

n i c e

To the students. They are encouraging a behavior that doesn't actually exist in a farming environment.

No it ain't cruel in fact it is needed, empathy should only be aimed at one's own kin and people, not to an animal that isn't even self aware.
I wonder how uncucked the west would be if they did something similar with schoolboys.

T. Someone who has never been on a farm in xir life.

nice. soon

Attached: Shiro-ishii.jpg (760x1082, 130.42K)

Thanks for making me feel significantly more butch. I'm a literal faggot and that doesn't happen very often.

Attached: The people were astonished.png (468x240, 103.02K)

Teaching kids to be self-sufficient. Good on them

Wow how sad next theyll be teaching them that humans are meat eaters wtf

>>>/reddit/

I think that I could raise, kill, and eat a chicken without much care.

But doing the same to a pig or a cow or a dog might hurt my delicate feelings.

Around hens,
Fetch the pens.

I'm good with my rice, beans and potatoes, thanks

I fail to see what's wrong with this class.

soyboys are desperately trying to persuade themselves that meat doesn't come from animals.

Don't soyboys, by definition, not eat meat?

Not being empathetic to animals is a sign of a sociopath.

Though I have to wonder what's wrong with all the people who are empathetic to animals but don't care about other humans, their own kith and kin least of all.

A chicken isn't even fully grown at six months.
Should do it with a very fast-growing species to make it lasting. Or have it over a longer period of time.

The people designing the class need to study human psychology. Terrible class design.

idk i think it's moral to kill these animals. they were bred for generations to their current species for the specific and sole purpose of producing food, and i see no reason for anybody to take issue with meting them this fate

It isn't, though.
People should be able to kill animals for nourishment. It stops growing weakness in the west, the sort of weakness that creates vegetarians and vegans.

this is nice, i wish i could take a class like this

This.
Everyone should have to do this at 14 or 16, to make them into a responsible adult.
They'd value their food more, at the same time as not becoming a disconnected pathetic vegan faggot.

Reminder this is for an agricultural school, teaching how to do all of those things that they will invariably have to do in their future work.
Do they want them to work with stuffed toys instead.

If they were tigers preparing to eat your face, you would have a different opinion, soyboys.

All we have done is switch the predator/predated roles and introduce people to the reality known as "survival."

I'm sure most of them sneak burgers or pepperonis from time to time.

Thats why you kill them painlessly if you can rather than torture them like a sociopath.

Then why are they so soy?

My grandpa hated killing chickens on the farm, made his wife do it instead. He was very attached to his animals, but life is life. Small farm, not one of your USA industrial automated-chicken-grinder farms.

Maybe in mass produced murican poultry farms, but in small family owned farms they keep a good deal of them close, maybe not pet status but close enough to tend to their well being and knowing which chicken is which especially if they collect eggs from them. Theres a difference which people have grown far apart from the animals they slaughter for food, animal farmers are either thankful for the meat and nutrition their animals provide or they simply see them as a means to an end thats how you get shitty overstuffed coops because they just want to grow them for the money from selling meat

Attached: 3ee61edfab33ff77292bbe62ef96a76ed82291074fcef62bace7aacb728132af.jpg (378x485, 87.75K)

I'm assuming you would have to kill it in front of your teacher.

I had sex with a chicken

pics or it didnt happen

I wonder if this is where SIlver Spoon got the inspiration for Bacon.

Maybe if you get everything from a fucking factory farm. If you've ever raised livestock or gotten shit from a small farm, this is exactly what they fucking do, faggot.

You're also a fucking faggot you non-white scumbag. Raising the animal with empathy is part of the process of providing love and care for the best quality meat. Love your fucking livestock like you'd love your children- just know you're eating them one day.

Japanese faggotry at its finest.
Teaching survival skills? No, you're not gonna find chickens in the wild, faggot.
Teaching how to raise chickens? No, how many of those Japanese kids are gonna grow to be anything besides desk jockeys and anime fappers.
Lots of angry edgy anons in this thread that think raising and killing a chicken is some form of alpha test.
Get over yourselves you fucking losers.

Your average American high school student would find it very hard to kill a chicken they'd raised, even though this was a normal thing to do for thousands of years. Everyone who eats meat should fully understand that all meat you eat was once a living, breathing animal, this is the ultimate way to teach that lesson.

Attached: Masha.jpg (540x604, 56.61K)

I would spit near chicks when I was little because they ate it, one of the chicks walked under my loogie one time and then all the other chicks pecked it to death, I was astonished, did no one tell them that sort of behavior isn't supposed to exist?

Attached: 1466922966231.jpg (731x1158, 95.71K)

Some of that is true.

Knowing where your food comes from should be taught in schools everywhere, maybe then people would think about the garbage corporations put in their bodies.

Horse shit. In other countries people will keep a small number of chickens in a shed and let them out in the garden every day. Modern farming is nothing like what ancient farming was like for the majority of human history.

Godspeed.

I've raised 2 hogs, and chickens, and you two have no idea what the hell you're on about. emotional attachment is a thing.

I have 5 egg-layers and 15 meat chickens right now. The egg-layers are almost 6 years old. One died yesterday. My daughter, who used to ride around with her on her bicycle, cried her eyes out. I loved that chicken too. Buried her next to the cat. Still, my teenage daughters and I work together when slaughtering the meat chickens. It's an important lesson to learn. We have rules. No names for the meat chickens, unless they are food names, like Drumstick. FYI: meat chickens are ready for slaughter between 6 to 8 weeks after hatching. You can't let them go beyond 8 weeks or their legs will break and it is cruel. They are bred to be food. They fatten quickly. Gotta keep the egg-layers separate or they will kill the smaller meat chickens. What is wrong with Millenials? Are they so far removed from their food sources that they don't deserve to live? Any of you niggers even have a garden? BTW, chickens make great garden bug-hunters. I raise 2 hogs per year too. Same rules. Pork Chops and Bacon are pretty small right now, but come fall I will call my buddy to come slaughter them and cut up the meat because he is better at it than me; not because I have an aversion to killing. I hunt, fish, garden, home school… and still I find time to shitpost and fuck with Johnny Neptune! What are you doing with your lives, anons?

Attached: PicsArt_05-03-02.50.20.jpg (1024x1024, 148.49K)

My trips still can't help me figure this app out! I have no idea how to get the size and resolution right. At least I try. What are you doing, anons? Burger King?

Working a dead end job that affords me too little money to buy land, not that I'd know what to do with it because I grew up in a middle-class suburb and have little to know exposure to the agricultural sciences. Not for lack of interest, but lack of ability to pay for the shit you need to get started and too much bull headed arrogant pride creating inertia that prevents me from humbly willing to start from the bottom.

It doesn't help that the local farms are all small operations that aren't really looking for help so much as trying to get by themselves. The largest operation, an experimental beef farm, just got scammed by its CEO who basically ran with a bunch of investor's money. The investors themselves, I'd argue, were pretty fucking stupid to begin with as they recruited from among their own insular ranks to manage the farm instead of, I don't know, hiring someone fucking qualified to run and operate a beef farm.

But I digress, my problems are not yours and I don't care for fucking pity. You're doing well, and good by your daughters. Hold your head high.

You sound like you've given up before starting. I just do what I can when I can. I make $802 per month. I rent a tiny house with a huge yard. If I didn't grow food and animals my daughters and I would starve. Necessity is the mother of invention. I guess you could wait to learn until you are starving, but why? Plants and animals almost take care of themselves! Just learn a little at a time. If you can figure out how to chan you can garden and raise chickens. It ain't rocket science. Just do it. No excuses.

Attached: 991df06c76bcb633b1fb1e97ebf44dd62c5731ab82d71d98404859817327f9f8.jpg (342x374, 14.9K)

They're not very good for nourishment.

Huh? Are you retarded? Oh, you're a vegan soyboy. So, you ARE retarded. Sorry. Didn't mean to make fun.

Attached: 1-d.jpg (1086x1020, 244.38K)

In the Glorious US, we call this 4H

Raise and tenderly nurture a cute little piglet or calf, then sell it at the County Fair.

Repeat until you can join FFA.

My mom lived on a farm and she bonded to one of the cows. One day they had to butcher it. They had to put bread on the table.

You get used to it the more you do it though.

plot twist:
no anons mom you are the cow

He'll probably say something about grain-to-meat ratio as if efficiency has anything to do with eating god's gift to mankind for them there B-vitamins and protein structures. Vegan bodybuilders have to do a shit ton of cardio (and/or starve themselves) compared to traditional weightlifters who can just eat a fucking hamburger.

either a girl or a chicken

How do you suppose your forefathers lived off the land, then? Killing animals was necessary and a normal routine. People should learn where their food comes from and how it is done.

Not only does it raise awareness of where food comes from, it teaches how to handle empathy and gives you a chance to handle complex emotions in relative safety. You of course have been taught not to face your difficult emotions, being coddled all your life and living in a world of make-believe. I bet you are so emotionally stunted, you start crying when you drop your soy latte.

Godspeed friend, you are an inspiration to us all.

Raising chickens in a farm is GENOCIDE

Lol its old at 6 months, most meat breeds of chickens are somewhere between 10 - 20 weeks, the fastest being 4 - 6 weeks

morningchores.com/meat-chickens/

Fucking scum

Only in whites.

PETA Vegan Soyboys, go home.

Attached: th.jpg (474x789, 147.51K)

I fail to see any controversy in this.

Attached: bobbing old man.gif (256x512, 631.73K)

Have you ever beheaded a chicken? It flaps around for a couple of minutes aimlessly until it stops. Most just leave it at it for a minute before plucking it.
Extra fun fact, if you want the most tender and succulent meat you take an adolescent piglet and you put it in a sack. You tie the sack down and then you start beating the shit out of the pig until it fucking dies. The bruising it gets from the beating makes the meat tastier.

Attached: b60daf3f2f13dedb5ffd7298656342c36694aedacae580604543681828e8e8c3.png (640x480, 569.88K)

Yes. They don't run around if you actually cut the artery properly. Additionally it's been shown that a calm animal produces a much tastier meat on death. When you make an animal freak the fuck out, it releases a shit ton of hormones/stress chemicals into the meat/muscles that actually makes the muscle less tender and ruins the meat more quickly/prevents the enzymes from spreading to give it that wonderful flavor of "fresh" meat you should let enzymic breakdown do its job for at least three days for the best quality meat.

More importantly, I suggest you learn about how adrenaline affects lactic acid due to reduced levels of glycogen from the trauma.

Ah, forgot pic related. PSE (left) and DFD (right) meat as a result of the animal being scared shitless before death. It costs the pork industry alone roughly a quarter of a billion dollars every year.

Attached: PSE_DFD.jpg (750x165, 38.62K)

The grain/meat ratio is a real problem though. Feeding animals grain is a massive waste of resources.
Animals can digest loads of shit that humans can't, especially grasses. Why destroy the land growing grain monocultures to feed animals that would be better off without it? .All animals should be forage fed, it's better for the land, the animals are happier, and it tastes better. What's not to love?

dem subsidies, it's all about politics and free money from taxpayers

Most grains fed to animals aren't fit for human consumption.

LACTATE====YOU NIGGER ITS LACTATE