Matthew 5:29

Matthew 5:29
And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Do people interpret scripture a little to literally?

Attached: 4053A723-E8F9-4C93-A699-6E02E10938D3.jpeg (870x1024, 114.82K)

Other urls found in this thread:

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17627741
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castration#Medical_consequences
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That's why you need to read Scripture with the guidance of the Holy Spirit

Attached: holy_spirit.jpg (2048x1072, 327.2K)

Drug induced self-harm isn't what I consider taking the bible literally.

Why do people do this? It's a holy book, for Christ's sake.

Attached: rage.png (291x300, 16.26K)

What's wrong with taking notes? As long as you aren't saying some part is weong and crossing it off

You can take an extra sheet of paper, write the book, chapter and verse down and take your notes there. No reason to misuse the Bible. And the advantage is that you can carry your notes around seperately from the Bible you have not bastardized because you actually respect the Word of God. That's how I do it, so I can lay in the notes in the Bible I am going to carry around. Isn't that great?

You should treat holy things with reverance. Just because it is just a book, doesn't mean it's ok to damage it or destroy it.

Iirc in galatians (could be wrong on that) Paul discusses whether Christians should eat food sacrificed to pagan gods. He concluded that as Christians, we dont believe they exist and the food is just food. However, if someone sees it and assumes that sacrificing to pagan gods is acceptable, we should refrain from eating it.

In a similar way, yes it is just a book. But other people who see a Bible doodled in with notes all over it will come to think of the Bible as nothing more than just a textbook. So we should refrain for the sake of other people

How is writing in it damaging or destroying it?

It's damaged/destroyed by hurting the masses' perception of the book's importance and thus, its authority.

What are you … Muslim?

Caring what other people think. Do you also deny Christ when you're in a room full of atheists?

What are you, some Churchianity dimwit or one of many sodomites infesting this board? It is sad that genuine Christians are seen as those heathen Muslims because they actually stick to their heretical scriptures.

Attached: Don D. Raper 2.jpg (285x298, 9.89K)

If you are this worked up over the opinions of Muslims and Jews, I think you might have other issues to deal with besides how someone else takes notes on the Bible.

I'm not sure why people don't do this your way (with extra paper or literal notebooks for those big writers), especially since you have so much more space, can cross-reference, write out verses, etc. I know one reason I've is making it feel more "theirs" or "used/homely." Not even sure why for those reasons.

I actually think people shouldn't annotate books at all, since other paper exist.

Unnatural attachment to created things (in this case a physical copy of Scripture) is idolatry user.

The Bible is sacred scripture, it’s not idolatry to treat that with some respect

Desecrating a Bible is an act of sacrilege.

Taking notes is not desecration

Attached: applause.gif (105x101, 3.98K)

Attached: the_bible_smuggie.png (640x503, 33.88K)

Are printed footnotes allowed in the Bible? What about publishing information? Are you allowed to write your name on the inside cover? It is at the least uncharitable to accuse someone writing respectful, spiritual commentary in their personal Bible of sacrilege

This is such a sad story. She was cute. Crystal meth should be illegal. Seriously though her motivation was obviously drug-induced psychosis not any genuine religious idea. The interdenominational jibes in this thread should be taken as jokes.

Attached: images (37).jpeg (444x331, 15.66K)

Which of the 20,000 translations is the one I should be respecting?

Pretty much all of them, even a Bible in a foreign language you don’t understand you should treat with some respect. Unless it’s like a Jehovah’s Witness Bible or a Joseph Smith Translation, you should pretend you believe it’s the word of God

Personally I think sticky notes are fine. I wouldn't so much as highlight the actual text, though. I used to take pencil notes in a Bible, but after I considered the implications of writing my own thoughts over God's word, I stopped and erased all the notes, and the pages looked the worse for wear. Study Bibles are garbage and mostly seek to teach false doctrine and I will never buy another one. The last Bible I bought has no footnotes and it's a much better read. Study Bibles like the Scofield Reference Bible are what spread heresies like Zionism through the Protestant churches. People look at the footnotes, see that they're printed there in black and white inside a Bible, and take the doctrines presented there as Gospel truth. Printing or writing nonbiblical text inside a Bible isn't something that should be encouraged.

This might be the worst comment I've ever seen on Zig Forums
It's the word of God

I have a Knox Bible which is very rare these days andout of print, but the previous own made all kind of marks and underlines all the eay through feels bad man

Again it's not about the actually writting. Sure footnotes and sticky notes are fine but you need to remember it is the word of God and even though you can understand it, if other people don't then you could be seriously tarnishing their view of it.

E.g. I brought a nonchristian friend to church last weekend, who had never been to church. I didn't go to my regular service but I went to a parish that is a bit more traditional. The reason is because I dont want her perception to be "church is a social club", but to be that church is a solemn place.

Likewise, when you scribble all over a Bible and make itlook lile some ragged text book, people aren't going to see anything special. Reverence of it is not to please God, but to help people here.

Attached: what.JPG (172x183, 11.13K)

I dunno man. If you were to look at all of secular literature most books are kept unmarked. If an unsaved person looks at a marked up Bible and compares it to a textbook, the same person will compare an unmarked Bible to a copy of Huckleberry Finn.
Personally I don't write notes because my lettering is too big for the compact Bibles I prefer. I'll write in cross-references, and I'll highlight and number and keep a few notebooks with corresponding numbers.

Attached: barks internally.jpg (524x468, 36.76K)

girl in op is legit. warms my heart seeing people unironically and unapologetically follow the bible and try their hardest to repent from sin

i myself plan on getting a bilateral orchiectomy (medical castration by a surgeon), so i wont have testicles and remove lust and sexual sin from my body

its funny how all the easily offended cucks shame her and anyone else who tries to follow the bible, yet have the nerve to call themselves Christian

the girl did nothing wrong

Not sure if baiting or just a baptist.

Matthew 18:8-9
8 Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire.
9 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

Matthew 5:29-30
29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

Mark 9:43-47
43 And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
44 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
45 And if thy foot offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter halt into life, than having two feet to be cast into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
46 Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.
47 And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out: it is better for thee to enter into the kingdom of God with one eye, than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire:

He's already been thoroughly corrected in another thread. He's just a troll.

If blinding oneself literally did save you from going to Hell, then indeed it would be a good thing. For most people, the solution to avoid going to Hell is much simpler. But Jesus has a very significant point here: that any earthly sacrifice is better than going to Hell.

Attached: 5D662112-1C6C-4A17-B01D-C26FA304520D.jpeg (400x226, 25.61K)

Trips of truth. Have a good Sunday, and God bless you.

Attached: you are indeed.jpg (1024x576, 48.65K)

Well, apparently she did.

Buuuuuut, on the other hand, as extreme as it was … it (((IS))) better to gouge out your eyes than to end-up in hell. I just think taking that more broadly or figuratively might serve you more effectively.

Oh, and then the truth comes out: Meth, not even once.

I think "calm the f— down" applies here, but I would also say . The WORDS in the Bible are Holy, not the form of paper and glue. We ought to respect, but not fetishize the Bible. Some people like to have their notes permanently inscribed next to the text (and I really wish they would make single-column-of-text Bibles to make this easier) rather than have to constantly cross-reference back and forth to multiple generations of exercise books.
But, to each their own. My first Bible got highlighted a lot, but since then I tend to regard books as you do: "special" enough to not mark-up at all, but I'd hardly go so far as to call paper and glue "holy". I won't burn it because I respect it, and I am grieved when I find vandalised Bibles, not because "that's holy" but because of what the vandals are effectively saying to God, and I feel God's grief over that. Creator of all the universe and some little speck of DNA and protein thinks he's so brilliantly fedora and he can burn pages or whatever gets done. "They know not what they do."

But, fetishizing the Bible is not, I will suggest, what God intended.

Attached: jesus-meth-not-even-once.jpg (409x386, 35.66K)

0/10

Attached: wait-wut.jpg (365x308, 73.49K)

the testicles produed 95% of the body's testosterone levels, and testosterone is soley responsible for feelings of lust and sexual desire

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17627741
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castration#Medical_consequences

Only because it is made of worldly materials doesn't make a Bible less holy. All houses of God are made out of wordly materials, just wood, metal, stones. So, would you piss on the walls outside or spray graffiti around the place? You take thinks way out of proportion, because I never insinuated to fetishize the Bible, but it ought to be treated with the due respect because it is the written word of God. No matter if translations are fallible, no matter if it is made out of common materials, what counts is what is written inside that makes it holy. For Christ's sake, it isn't called the HOLY Bible for nothing. As said, take an extra sheet of paper and make your notes there. It is not some wordly book and should be treated that way.

Attached: 1435009840357.jpg (431x450, 69.99K)