Can anyone tell me why Malachi 4:2 uses pagan symbolism (Egyptian sun disk, pic related) if it's inspired by God?

Can anyone tell me why Malachi 4:2 uses pagan symbolism (Egyptian sun disk, pic related) if it's inspired by God?

Attached: sketch-1520960429239(1).jpg (714x491, 225.64K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.katabiblon.com/us/?text=LXX
ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/septuagint/chapter.asp?book=42&page=4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What other sun has wings?

The sage of cognitive dissonance

Note the word here is actually sUn in this verse and not sOn in Mal 4:2.

We have ids, samefag

Given that the sUn is referenced as a person, and he will heal us, and that this was the last prophet before John the Baptist, it's safe to assume this is referencing the sOn, aka the light of the world. I assume.

No shit

lmao what

Because God spoke to the general cognitive environment of the time period by means of their own symbols.

Attached: Screenshot (55).png (338x468, 215.43K)

I think people have to stop with the Christianity vs pagans crap. First of all, it is a rather literal and protestant posture. It's one of the reasons retarded neo-pagans exist. Now if you think the Christ as accomplishing EVERYTHING, then paganism is part of what is accomplished. Witch solves all the problems with Christianism having common symbolism, rites, etc with some pagan traditions.

Attached: dcbe717e3287ba03a70e94c931c69785d1e29aaa0cd495a221b62e8cf7b966ce.png (979x735, 554.67K)

Is it any wonder why the great schism or the Reformation happened?

That's an interesting perspective. However why would God use said symbolism to represent him when he got pissed at Israel for doing that with the calf.

Ver. 2. Wings. The sun is represented with wings, to imply celerity. The appearance of the Lord will be most acceptable to the virtuous. (Calmet) — Look up, for your redemption is at hand, Luke xxi. 28. — Herd. Protestants, 'stall.' Hebrew marbek, (Haydock) 'fattened;' though some explain it of oxen treading out corn: they would not however leap, nor fatten so much. (Calmet)

Also, since Sun is most glorious of natural icons of the Son, who is Light of the World it is proper to call hin Sun of righteousness.
And since Son is called Angel of the Lord in the Scripture and Tradition (see Roman Canon) it is proper to say that he have wings.
And, of course, go outside sometimes and look at the sun. Rays look like wings sometimes.

Dude they were worshipping the calf thats why it was gold.

God can represent Himself using whatever symbols He pleases consistent with His nature.
The problem comes when we as fallible human beings try to represent God by creating our own symbols, or when we try to worship the symbols God has given us instead of God Himself.

*by creating our own symbols to worship

witchcraft =/= divine miracles. Although this point is pretty subjective because people claims to discover miracles from other religions. If anyone has more info i debunking non-christian miracles i'd like to hear it.

The wings are metaphorical because it appears the sun "flies" through the sky. And only winged things fly. The wings can be invisible or the rays of the sun. No need for eagle wings or whatever that is

On a scale of 1 to 10 how heretic do you consider yourself to be?

I think you are confusing syncretism and synthesism.

Paganism is not always linked to witchcraft. Moreover sin being what strays you from God it can't be accomplished since Satan already is the most distant being from God.

What people miss is that in some places christianity imposed itself very easily because Christ was considered as prefigured in their religion. Example :
Many popular rites that disapeared only around the 19th century are directly pagan heritage like the immersion of statues of the virgin Mary (which was done with Aphrodite in the greek world).
In "de vera religione", Saint Augustine tells that the true religion has always existed and that with coming of Christ the true religion is now called christianism.
Now, I know that some extremely humble people think that the holy spirit waited 1500 years to speak but I'd rather trust Augustine and the alexandrian Fathers.

TL;DR : Apostolic Christianity accomplishes both the promises of the hebrews and the pagans. Therefore neo-paganism is meaningless since its true continuity is to find in christianity (same thing as for judaism).

Attached: NeopagansAndProtiesAreTheSame.jpg (640x489, 123.11K)

It was on the seal of King Hezekiah, so it was a metaphor that the Israelites would easily understand.

Attached: Seal of King Hezekiah.jpg (634x589, 86.99K)

That image is quite the reach, and is borderline "Jesus is Horus" territory.

It's not a reach. Just typical catholic art taking from the heathen.

I would like to how women feed children in other position. Because it's looks like the most natural and widespread one is suddenly heathen.

Judaism emerged from paganism. Why does it use the pagan based flood myth?

You've got it backeards. The myths are based in Biblical reality.

I can't tell if you're being ironic or not.

It doesn't have anything to do with breastfeeding. It has to do with the entirety of parallels between the pagan myths and Catholic traditions.

wtf im gnostic now

This is why Christianity jumps the tracks so dang often

< But for you who fear my name, the sun of righteousness shall rise with healing in its wings. You shall go out leaping like calves from the stall.

But, here's a funny thing: The LXX doesn't even HAVE Malachi 4:2?! There's no chapter 4, but chapter 3 has six more verses, but they don't SEEM to match-up textually with chapter 4?!
en.katabiblon.com/us/?text=LXX
But this one does: ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/septuagint/chapter.asp?book=42&page=4
What's going on here … ? I'm guessing the LXX doesn't have a literal chapter 4, but for simplicity ellopos added it. Or do you Apostolics only have up to chapter 3 in Malachi because "muh apocrypha" or somesuch?
Why the heck can't BibleHub just ADD the bloody LXX instead of continuing to rely on the C11th Jewish reimagining of it??

All this to confirm that the word in both the Greek (LXX) and Hebrew is, in fact, wing. (Because the NIV translates this as "rays" of the sun, which was a little too loose with the translation for me NOT to want to know what the LXX said.)

That NIV mistranslates the word πτέρυξιν suggests to me that wings on the sundisk is the ancient world's way of talking about the sun's rays. I have no doubt the ancients DID NOT think of the sun as having ACTUAL wings (though they didn't seem to have trouble believing Ra carried the sun in a chariot), that this is a poetic way of talking either about the sun's rays, or to describe its "flying" (god of the sun Hermes had winged feet, for example).

Ergo, the Lord uses the language of the day.

wut?

Attached: milk.jpg (577x629, 46.52K)

dagnammit

Does God shitpost on Zig Forums?

Attached: 0F540FD8-57A1-49AE-AD9D-5C3B05D64141.png (800x292, 236.95K)

The book of Malachi is divided into three chapters in the Hebrew Bible and the Greek Septuagint and four chapters in the Latin Vulgate. The fourth chapter in the Vulgate consists of the remainder of the third chapter starting at verse 3:19.

Attached: Sonic sun deity.jpg (783x528, 136.27K)

While there is some truth to goddess/idolatry worship in the catholic church, using the most common way to breastfeed a child, and using the whole ISIS Horus = Mary Jesus meme is not the way to show it. You're doing it in such a entry level conspiratorial way, you come off as false flagging.

Attached: The Horus meme from that movie.jpeg (1032x1154, 479.29K)

Attached: 6841f39b2074f477ec0a6d2185881f1d55257de545932da493b967a951c22487.jpg (3840x2160, 1010.92K)

I am not alone in whatever part of my post offended you (if it was the part of the Catholics, then you know that orthos and baptists also disagree with them), but it wasn't done solely/purposefully to offend you. The truth is sometimes offensive and blunt and is mistakenly seen as "shit talking" despite being something that needs to be said/asked.

Attached: Vigilant Christian & Atheist Black Magic Occultist have a conversation about life.webm (640x350, 13.47M)

Attached: 9f52a22920b58a287806acbfb52f1932ac46cbcb17b160e30f3c33489bb90b60.png (310x558, 70.6K)

Hold on, let me repay your cop out with a generous (you)

Attached: a207aefd721e482a01b699c56c7a587e05764dd5ff6ff4111863f1a67237fae9.png (774x1164, 1.04M)

Honestly, I don't understand what is going on here

Seething.

Jewish theology comes from the Egyptian "God as King" theology.
Christian theology comes from Jewish theology.

Did I lose you somewhere?

*tip*

*tips Hakenkreuz*

Attached: Marching to Zion.webm (1280x720, 3.6M)

Also the people of the time would appropiate previous symbols to attempt to sway the common people to Christianity. Like Christmas and Easter.