If the Garden of Eden is a metaphor or parable then where does original sin come from?

If the Garden of Eden is a metaphor or parable then where does original sin come from?

Attached: banishment-from-the-garden-of-eden.jpg (434x600, 119.54K)

This was posted a few months ago, same exact OP.

Attached: Here we go again.png (872x558, 114.41K)

Pretty much this.
If you start to go down the "just a metaphor" route, then you add in the additional problem of what is not a metaphor, and end up coming up with some arbitrary and "comfortable" conclusions. If Eden was a metaphor, then so is sin, and everything becomes completely pointless.
Why for instance, would Jonah being swallowed by a whale for three days be a metaphor, but the Resurrection wouldn't be?

The answer is it's both (but can differ depending on doctrine), original sin comes from the fall of man, read the bible.

It's also possible that it can be real and a metaphor.

Attached: The tree of the knowledge.jpg (236x419, 20.31K)

Correct, which is the Catholic position (reading scripture literally, allegorically, morally and anagogically, all simultaneously), but the problem is stripping it all away to just "metaphor/analogy".

I mean people that believe Adam and Eve never existed but still believe in original sin. Where would it then come form?

Why do you think the Garden of Eden is simply a metaphor or a parable?

I believe humans are just fallen, and Adam and Eve more describe us. So that's why I say all my sin is my own and mine alone, any punishment after my death or during my life is justified.

Pretty much this Op>>620666 You start going down the route, it's just a metaphor. it just ends up with modern day Protestantism. So no it's not just a metaphor. It is very much real for the christian faith.

Attached: 89c579654f576e0637be87c03dd1b4272a62ac8d2c83847b753286773158a070.jpg (2000x2000, 1.16M)

I believe in the literal Creation story, I think a lot of Christians automatically think that taking the account of Genesis literally means you have to deny science and believe that dinosaurs co-existed with men and other such nonsense that Satan has promulgated throughout society. The Bible and science simply offer two different ways of looking at the same thing. You and I believe in God, and that Jesus Christ is the Messiah, He is Truth, so as Christians we shouldn't try and compromise the Bible in any way, shape, or form. If you have questions, you need it lay it all before Jesus Christ. The Bible is meant to be taken literally, and if you look at the Creation story carefully, you'll see that it lines up with contemporary science quite well. In fact, when compared to other creation stories from other cultures, the Biblical Creation story has held up very nicely throughout the ages, as opposed to the Aztec creation story where some Bald Eagle populates the Earth which is an island in the middle of the ocean and the Sky Lady takes some sand, throws it up into the air which then forms into stars.

I really think you should take a look at the Bible again, take that step of faith and take it literally, read the Bible as the Book of the Supernatural if you will. I hope this will further solidify your faith. God bless.

He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. (Matthew 18:2-4)

Yes, same annon, for me creation is literal. Meaning adam and eve were historical people. Cause if they're false then does that mean people like Daniel are false? But that is the christian faith, no other faith teaches this.

I believe Adam and Eve were real. I was just asking how people that think they weren't real explain original sin.

Most people that take the beginning of Genesis literally are proddies/Baptists, most cathlodox seem to think it's a parable and believe in evolietion

(checked)
I liked the image you attached earlier, and it reminds me of how great God is. It's unfortunate people put God in a box, but we need to humble ourselves before Him and ask Him any questions we may have. One time I traveled far out into the wilderness just so I can see the stars clearly at night, it is amazing and I believe I even saw the Andromeda galaxy as a faint red blob. That one little dot in the sky, has billions of stars and planets, and that's just a single galaxy.

In the grand scheme of things, people really need to believe that God is real and that Jesus is there, right there watching you. He knows how many hairs you have on your head, He also knows your problems, your questions, and your wants. Having faith is important, and sometimes I wish I could go back and still live out my faith without knowing what I know now. God has answered many of my questions regarding the Bible and strengthened my faith very much. Jesus said, if anybody reads His Words, they also need to do them, and that faith without works is dead. So get to work and read the Bible, have faith, pray, and repent of your sins. Anyways, I got a bit off track. Wanted to say how much I appreciate your sentiment and may God bless you for your faith.

Vid related just came out from my orthodox metaphysical mentor. So, i think he may be able to help you. But more or less with out adam and eve. You have to go through a bunch of mental gymnastics for as to why there's even original sin.

What do you all think of the theory that the humans in Genesis 1 were created before Adam and Eve who, following this theory, weren't created until Genesis 2 and the confusion comes from a translation error caused by the fact that "Adam" and "man" are the same word in Hebrew. It strikes me as what calls a comfortable conclusion. The biggest flaw with it is that Eve is called the mother of all the living. How could she be called the mother of all the living if there was a separate group of people that came before her?

I think they believe that it's a metaphor for when humans evolved a sense of morality or something like that.

Satan, do you even know the context of that post, or will you keep posting this screenshot every time this thread is made like a lobotmized retard?

This. Going with that, to spell it out for OP:
The moment mankind evolved from animals to humans.
Mankind has a consciousness, awareness of itself. The realization of a soul and the existence of God. Thereby it has morals and responsibilities.
Animals are blissfully unaware of any of that. They live without any care, except for survival. That also means many atheists and LARPagans basically want to devolve.

Going the opposite route, it means that the Bible is just some book full of old stories that happened a long time ago.
Jesus often spoke in parables. No reason why you couldn't see parables in God's earlier words.

Why was that person using an Ortho flag? Official stance of the Orthodox church is that Adam and Eve actually existed if I'm not mistaken.

Romans 5:12 Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
Death entered the world through sin, and sin entered the world by Adam
Right? How could proto-humans have lived and died and eventually evolved into the first "modern" humans, Adam and Eve?

Well, what's the context? What an empty post you posted just now.

jesus was fully human, jesus died, did he sin?
jesus grants man immortality, yet each immortal man still dies.
mayhaps there's more to death than meets the eye,

They couldn't. Therefore creationism must be the truth.

Well why is it referanced so damn much and literally gives Jesus genealogy back to made up characters then?

Or it's because Jesus is God so stuff like that doesn't always apply to him

That would be like taking this verse
10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
And saying Jesus then isn't righteous

that isn't the point I was making, the point is that physical death and spiritual death aren't the same. we're told we have everlasting life as christians, yet we still very much die physically, so perhaps Adam had the same everlasting life a saved christian does. And the fall made him lose that…

Also the picture of Eden given by genesis (a garden, fruit, trees, a talking snake) doesn't have to be literally a 1 to 1 correspondence, to be true and edifying and useful. But maybe for early man and for us as well it is best described in those terms so we can relate to it, but what actually happened might be beyond our imagination

With Adam is that they wouldn't physically die at all and would just remain on earth forever, until they messed up then they could physically and spiritually die

Also parables never give actual names of peopleand why would God make a parable 11 chapters long? Also some people don't believe Exodus happened either so that's like 70 chapters then.

Not the one you are replying to, but thank so much for sharing that video- it sums up what I've been trying to share with my family for months now.

Because the thread was not about if Adam and Eve existed, but about why did eating a fruit caused a fall. The thread was about original sin.
Whats with pr*testants and their inability to comprehend what is written?!

Don't forget that Jesus became sin who knew no sin. He died for us, not for himself.
I agree that there's a spiritual death of course, but we inherit both punishments from Adam.
Here's God's punishment towards woman and man as recorded in Genesis 3.
6 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;
19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

So there's definitely a physical aspect to Adam's punishment.

"original sin" is a marketing tool. The church invented it so they had something to forgive you from. Keep those collection plates full, suckers.

Yep checks out.

Attached: ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah ha ha ha.jpg (543x960, 47.16K)