Zombie Ant Parasite Controls Its Victims Like A Puppeteer

A parasite that can transform ants into zombies and make them do its bidding may sound like something straight out of a science fiction movie. However, that is precisely what the Ophiocordyceps unilateralis, or, zombie ant fungus does to unsuspecting carpenter ants. Now, a new study has discovered that the fungus accomplishes this ghoulish feat without infecting the ant’s brain.

Found primarily in tropical countries like Brazil and Thailand, the zombie ant fungus begins by draining the infected insect of all its nutrients and taking control of its mind. It then wills the enslaved insect to search for leaves or twigs about 25 centimeters above the ground – a zone that has the right temperature and humidity for the fungus to thrive. Once the ideal location is found, the poor ant is forced to clamp its mandibles to the underside of the leaf or twig. When the insect dies, usually within four to ten days, the parasite emerges as a stalk from the dead ant’s head and releases spores to the ground to infect other ants and repeat the cycle.

While the parasite’s ruthless mode of operation has been well-documented by researchers, the mechanics of how it colonizes the ants remained a mystery. Curious to know how the fungus — the inspiration behind the monsters in the video game “The Last of Us” — accomplishes this horrifying, but impressive, task, a team led by Pennsylvania State University entomologist, David Hughes, decided to investigate.

The scientists used a scanning electron microscope to create 3D images to determine the distribution, population, and interactions of the fungi inside the infected insects’ bodies. To their surprise, they found that while the fungi covered the ant’s entire body like a blanket, it left its brain untouched. They also found that the parasite’s cells were connected, suggesting the fungi formed a bond to control the host’s behavior collectively.

"Normally in animals, behavior is controlled by the brain sending signals to the muscles, but our results suggest that the parasite is controlling host behavior peripherally," Hughes said. "Almost like a puppeteer pulls the strings to make a marionette move, the fungus controls the ant's muscles to manipulate the host's legs and mandibles."

The researchers, who published their findings in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences in November 2017, still need to investigate why the parasite avoids the brain. They speculate it preserves the ant’s brain power so it can move around and more importantly, to accomplish the critical task of latching on to a twig or leaf. The scientists believe that the fungi instead release a special chemical that force the ant’s muscles to contract and move — similar to how we maneuver a remote-controlled car. Truth is certainly stranger than fiction!

(because I'm so sick and tired of the same old bullshit 'news' in here, I actually got this story from a 'news service's for children, and it's more interesting &more well written than any of that faggot shit you guys are posting)

SINcerely,
Johnny Neptune

dogonews.com/2018/5/4/zombie-ant-parasite-controls-its-victims-like-a-puppeteer

Attached: PicsArt_05-27-11.58.30.jpg (600x400, 42.98K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/d5Q8a
kiwifarms.net/threads/johnny-neptune-elvismongo-plssnpploff-robot-musician-citizen-of-atlanta.29856/#post-2181994
archive.is/NZCRp
archive.is/kPVIu
archive.is/ThEzB
archive.is/tDyw3
archive.is/a6a6Q
archive.is/sMTAc
archive.is/KgVXQ
archive.is/HqPxj
reddit.com/user/johnmyneptune
twitter.com/AnonBabble

young lonely cocks, begging to be sucked

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-12.05.18.jpg (768x512, 75.75K)

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-12.08.00.jpg (768x512, 100.84K)

cocks, andrew…big, juicy, british cocks

I'm so sick and tired of all the same old boring 'trump this' 'trump that' bullshit in here (and in the mainstream media, because all The Goldwater does is reprint mainstream stories)

So, I said to myself, "I think I'm going to go to a 'news site for small children' and post an infantile, retarded 'kiddie news' article"….

Much to my surprise, the news stories they have for little kids are much more intelligent than the drivel you faggots seem to be interested in.

I think I'm going to start posting children's news stories all the time, and I guarantee that my 'kiddie news' articles will be a million times more interesting than your stupid faggot 'trump news' bullshit.

How does it feel to realize that 4th grade kids are more intelligent, more sophisticated, more charismatic, and more likely to get a girlfriend than you ?

how many of my peers are out getting their cocks sucked right now while i'm sitting on my lonely couch playing video games and shitposting with you, andrew? are their young cocks big and hard? what techniques are the girls using to suck them off? do the girls swallow their cum or do my peers cum on their faces and call them whores? describe it to me in detail, andrew.

You're correct about one thing:

My wife just called you a lonely closet homosexual

you don't need that stale, shallow relationship anymore, andrew.
there is only one relationship that you need and it is with me.

This thread suddenly got very erotic

Attached: 542290bbb8a89af0f6ecf5f802c4d84abf866beec7469bd1a2e8b2a5eec66fd1.jpg (329x274, 21.93K)

i thought the court order prevented you from accessing those sites again, Andrew.

Do you have one of these parasites in yor head,Andrew,telling you to suck cock?

Stop treating this like it is news. Many predatory insects are able to do this. Every year I see some stupid clickbait article about "zombie bugs." Established knowledge is not news, you disgrace to journalism.

Then stop being part of the problem, you piece of human garbage.

Attached: 2205eedfad86d3c8dbe2c573840ad0252509df2658832c1b8e7ec4fbb6c76a00.jpg (480x566, 58.5K)

not news, I learned about this 10+ years ago

There's a fungus amongus.
Good morning, Johnny!

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-07.29.43.jpg (644x428, 46.28K)

Did you even read the article? It clearly states humans have known about this for a long long time. What they didn't know is that the fungus does not affect the brain.
I grew up in Thailand and saw this myself as a kid 40 years ago and all the old-timers knew about it like it had been going on for thousands of years, and probably has – maybe even longer. Weird the scientists were surprised
Do they not know how fungi and mycelial networks function yet? Do they not know that, underground, there is a mycelial network that connects much of our earth and treats it as one organism? Maybe we are all zombies, doing the bidding of the fungus amongus! Maybe the scientists need to take some psychedelic shrooms and get hip. Or maybe they shpuld live in a house with black mold and see how it affects their behavior.
In Johnny's defense, this is a better and more well-written article than most of the crap on here.
No, I am just here to antagonize and force lazy fuckers to think for themselves; so, in that respect, Johnny and I have some common ground. Probably fungus covered ground by now, but who's to judge? Being an automaton, I suppose, is better than having your brain controlled. Oh wait! What if both are happening? It sure seems like it in our modern day human societies!

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-07.52.12.jpg (546x396, 27.32K)

Attached: 1428938984352.jpg (960x843, 107.15K)

That's because I type. Fuck your speech-to-text shit! Is that what Reddits out every post you make?

But I didn't. I only read your article. Sorry. The subject matter is less interesting to me than shitposting. After all, I have first-hand experience.

Here's where I got my info, from OP:
I ain't clickin' on your children's news site. It's bad enough I'm in here, bumping yet another Johnny Neptune containment thread – one of your own making!

she's weak, andrew. she can no longer satisfy you or hold your allure, which is why you spend so much of your free time dog whistling for young, lonely men and talking about the status of their cocks. it's crystal clear what you are really looking for in life, andrew, and it's not wendy.

All me.

Attached: 1427871462728.jpg (570x428, 76.57K)

Sorry. I don't believe (You).

Oops! Forgot screenshot…

Attached: Capture _2018-05-28-08-50-55.png (1437x1745, 1.36M)

Extremely old new, Johnny my boy.

In half an hour or more we will have a huge pot of Chocolate Mint Cinnamon Basil tea. You are welcome to come enjoy. Boiling water now. Can't believe we already had to harvest already! I'll see if we can bbq later for Memorial Day. Figuring it all out.

Oh shit! Thought I was texting my friend!
Damn I am hot from working in the garden! Maybe a fungus controlling me!

Kek! On my way…

Oh boy! Here comes the anti-anime anti-little-boy shitstorm! Dis gun b gud!

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-10.33.21.jpg (644x428, 49.75K)

Oi, I'm in love already! Where can I find such a woman who can control the goyim so nice, why not

Attached: 1476160291956.jpg (320x158, 7.25K)

A few questions come to mind when I see this article.
Oh wait, that was just one question.
This isn't news, gtfo.

Are zombie ants related to crabs?

Who is thisJohnny Neptune guy? I keep seeing him mentioned but have no idea who he is or where he came from.

Also why are you posting this? This board is for news not about insects. You seem to think you have 'owned' people on this board by posting something that doesn't have to do with the board.

He goes from thread to thread acting so tsundere against gays while at the same time blowing dog whistles for young, lonely British men whose cocks he can't stop thinking about.

Thanks.
I learned a new term today.
Here's a Johnny Neptune anime in return.
He LOVES Anime!
Happy Memorial Day!
BBQ ongoing…

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-02.48.28.jpg (546x396, 35.83K)

BREAKING NEWS !!!

Family enjoys traditional memorial day Chocolate Mint Cinnamon Basil tea.

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-05.52.51.jpg (1280x850, 197.11K)

(and I call everybody Sassypants)

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-06.23.10.jpg (1846x1236, 353.85K)

Post one pic of this supposed epic bbq you're supposedly having, Andrew.
We need photographic evidence, preferably a phone video or I call bullshit.
Say "cheese" for the camera, so we can all see the great life you are living while we sit alone on our lonely couches and play vidya, wishing our young cocks were getting sucked like all of our peers.

I don't know how to break this to you, but….

I'm not sure someone who's idea of a 'hot night out on the town' involves two Billy Goats, a bottle of chloroform, across dressing transexual Benny Hill look-alike & a colostomy bag has any peers…

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-06.39.43.jpg (1846x1236, 516.72K)

Still waiting for those awesome pics or live video of the epic bbq that you're supposedly enjoying right now, Andrew. You certainly have loads of extra time to edit all of your epic memes too. I guess you are really good at multitasking.

I am confused. is the Andrew everyone hates Andrew Anglin? Cause fuck that guy.

The tea is fantastic. Too bad you didn't start your garden early or probably didn't start one at all. Putting fresh chocolate mint and fresh cinnamon basil in the hamburgers too. Coarse ground beef from half a grass-fed cow I bought from my neighbor in November. Still embarrassed about thinking I was texting the neighbor girl while accidently posting my text on 8ch instead this morning! Kek af though! Anyway, and , Neptune is not having an epic BBQ. He's a vegan. You can kinda tell the difference in our style. I, for one, do not do Reddit spacing, nor do I sperg out in the same ways, although I do sperg out; and, like him, I tend to be a thorn in everyone's side – especially him!

lmmfao@you confusing me with somebody else

(I never said a motherfuking thing about a BBQ, dipshit)

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-06.52.04.png (2216x1227, 1.24M)

You're thinking about that TV show with Chris Rock….

I'm the OTHER little nigger

Today, I'm giving the 'memorial day bbq' (roast turkey) to this guy, who we rescued, and are trying to tame….

he is one of THE MOST FERAL cats I've ever met, and I have dealt with some extremely feral cats in my life…

Attached: IMG_20180528_185807.jpg (1920x1080, 364.41K)

He's actually very, very, VERY sweet, depending on the moment… He's been making a ton of progress, venturing into our bedroom and letting us pet him, although he still has some serious trust issues…

With good reason… Humans are the most untrustworthy animals on Earth.

Once he gets a little bit more domesticated, we have a network of animal rescue women who are arranging for him to go to Massachusetts, believe it or not, where they have an amazing adoption agency that has a phenomenal success rate with adoptions….

Attached: IMG_20180528_185814.jpg (1920x1080, 306.07K)

Nice trips guise. Let me clear up some confusion for the newfriends.
A recent dox:
archive.fo/d5Q8a

kiwifarms.net/threads/johnny-neptune-elvismongo-plssnpploff-robot-musician-citizen-of-atlanta.29856/#post-2181994

JohnnyNeptune BTFO!

/lolcow/ extraordinaire, Johnny Neptune Andrew Lawrence McGovern continues to muck up every thread he can on 8ch with his overblown ego and megalomania.
That he's homeless and bankrupt isn't what's so funny. It's his need to convince autists on a Swedish vegan soy-meatball-recipe website that he has superpowers and hobnobs with the rich and famous, that makes milking this lolcow so delicious. If you're so new that you are unaware of this namefag's shenanigans and why he is disliked here so much, let me post a few recent archived threads as a reminder:

archive.is/NZCRp

archive.is/kPVIu

archive.is/ThEzB

archive.is/tDyw3

archive.is/a6a6Q

archive.is/sMTAc

archive.is/KgVXQ

No biggie. Just another /lolcow/ namefag who has been warned repeatedly to stop namefagging on here and mucking up every thread, making it about him and his overblown ego. But now he has pissed off the userbase so much that, not only do his opinions and statements have zero meaning, but he is choosing to have this whole "game" upped to another level. It can go higher, Johnny boy!
Your move, Johnny boy.
I'll just leave this here for any user who would like to help Johnny boy get back on track and stop his incessant namefaggotry. Good luck, Andrew.
I have more 'data', but would prefer you curb your own behavior rather than have it curbed for you.
I'll just leave this here again:

archive.fo/d5Q8a

archive.is/HqPxj

reddit.com/user/johnmyneptune

Also, since he keeps posting his phone number and email, maybe you would like to drop him a line:

Attached: Capture _2018-05-25-15-27-11.png (1440x2392, 703.72K)

/lolcow/ extraordinaire, Johnny Neptune Andrew Lawrence McGovern continues to muck up every thread he can on 8ch with his overblown ego and megalomania.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!

YOU NOTICED ????;!!!!!!

THATS SO SWEET OF YOU

Uh oh. It looks like all our internet data IS being saved somewhere!

….and now, let ME clear up some confusion for YOU……

………. FUCK YOUR THREADS

…… FUCK YOUR IMAGE BOARD CULTURE

…………..AND FUCK YOU

Thank you for highlighting the fact none of you little girls knows enough about computers or writing strings of code to hack me… I know 9 year old boys who could run circles around you guys… I gave you my phone number and my IP address he, but nobody has enough skill or knowledge to do anything with the information…

I shown pictures of my house, pictures of my credit card, I've told everybody my birthday, and I even posted my social security number in here not that long ago…

And none of you little girls is smart enough to do anything with it….

If you think I'm afraid of little girls who play video games and watch anime, you would be sadly mistaken….

It appears that your computer skills are limited to holding a video game controller and pretending like you are a magical transvestite nymph in an enchanted forest…

oooooohhh… how intimidating

ANNOUNCEMENT:

You're empty Nintendo sissy boy threats fall flat on their face, because if any of you could do anything, you would have already done it a long time ago…

YOUR*

not 'you're'

….aaaaanyway…..

Time to feed this sweet kitty cat

(Lol he normally isn't hissing at me, but I caught him off guard)

Attached: IMG_20180528_185811.jpg (1920x1080, 308.21K)

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-06.00.22.jpg (2340x1948, 375.83K)

You sure got me

But why? Why is he here doing this?

Then be my guest, little girl…

It's an outlet to vent some of his mania because bpd

I'm waiting………….

…………………LMAO

This is the part where you pat yourself on the back, say I'm full of shit, and get back on your little video game and start playing Miss Pac-Man again……

CORRECTION

This entire planet is nothing more than some place for me to vent my mania because I'm BPD

Zig Forums ?…………….

It's just a novel microcosm

Tonight, my wife is making her world-famous all natural stupendously phenomenal absolutely Finger Licking Good delicious vegan black bean burgers from scratch, with zucchini chips and her spiced sweet-potato fries (roasted, not fried) with sweet chili sauce…..

UH, OH !!!…. WTF ??!!! MY BANK ACCOUNT JUST GOT EMPTIED AND ALL OF MY ONLINE INFORMATION JUST GOT WIPED !!! OH, SHIT !!! IVE BEEN HACKED!!!

lol

if you could do anything, you would have done it a long time ago…..

that you spend most of your waking hours enmeshed it, blowing your dog whistle at young, lonely guys who need their dicks sucked.
i mean, you think and post about young cocks more than it seems humanly possible to do in a single day. and you do it every day

RE: MICROcosm

and of course the first thing you think about is your penis…….

very telling

i'm sure some autist here could compile a timestamped log of all of your shitposting on this site and tally up the percentage of time per 24 hour period that you are engaged in posting about the status of someone's cock.
telling indeed

I'm going to need you to FOCUS more

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-08.28.04.png (1080x1459, 407.24K)

….lol…..

And I'm sure you'd be the perfect candidate for the job….

*slaps you on the back*
"Get Started. Let Me Know When You're Done!"

i don't blame you for being defensive. what with grappling with all those unwanted homosexual thoughts and projecting them on others must be a full time job for you.
your only job, obviously

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-08.39.53.jpg (852x480, 76.11K)

i'm impressed you think an offhand shitpost of mine merits this much effort at damage control. you're orbiting me quite closely atm. it's almost as if i had some kind of psychic hold over you.

"Enmeshed It"

darn it !!

"Enmeshed it in"

dammit

"Enmeshed it"

Be patient I'll figure it out eventually

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-08.43.35.jpg (1024x683, 97.31K)

that's a lot of work, keep going

…. Does it really appear that I'm putting a lot of effort into everything?

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-08.47.15.jpg (590x393, 48.43K)

THE PUNCHLINE:

You put more effort into trying to construct a coherent sentence that included the word 'enmeshed' than anything I've done all day…….

… And we all see where that got you

i understand you being so sensitive and defensive about being called out so accurately by me constantly, but just keep going with your efforts at damage control. i'll let you know when you can take a break.

Johnny neptunes real phone number is 478 324 4637

Of course it is……

Did you think I'd give out a fake number?

My number is 478-324-4NEP

"ENMESHED IT"

right ?

Attached: 20180527_232527.jpg (254x254, 45.21K)

too bad you don't know Jack shit about Dalvik code………………………

sorry i stole your thunder yet again, andrew. this thread is now about me, not you, but please continue trying to convince everyone otherwise.

It's been about you ever since you typed the words ENMESHED IT

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-09.29.14.jpg (254x254, 16.7K)

i'll have to use it more often, now that i know how badly it triggers you

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-09.35.48.jpg (252x252, 24.21K)

Please feel free to Fumble any other simple sentence structure for me… I can always use a good laugh

just think of all the bandwidth i'm saving, not having to defensively create new oc with every post as you attempt to save face

penis

Attached: 5ee0e07711c9b2db2669f34d077ca04c.jpg (700x823, 340.71K)

yeah, it's a good thing you scrimp

your time and energy aren't unlimited.
but go ahead and create some more epic memes about sentence structure.

Nope……………………

it's a 'Bandwidth Usage' issue now

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-09.48.02.jpg (1080x1145, 205.24K)

good boy

How long has this 'bandwidth usage' been a problem with your mother ?

It seems like that would be a perfect motivation for you to pay for 'big boy' internet

you're slipping. work harder

Attached: PicsArt_05-28-09.55.38.jpg (260x251, 24.37K)

i'm losing interest. last chance