Harvard professor says Climate Change Can Be Stopped by Turning CO2 Into Gasoline

A team of scientists from Harvard University and the company Carbon Engineering announced on Thursday that they have found a method to cheaply and directly pull carbon-dioxide pollution out of the atmosphere.

If their technique is successfully implemented at scale, it could transform how humanity thinks about the problem of climate change. It could give people a decisive new tool in the race against a warming planet, but could also unsettle the issue’s delicate politics, making it all the harder for society to adapt.

Their research seems almost to smuggle technologies out of the realm of science fiction and into the real. It suggests that people will soon be able to produce gasoline and jet fuel from little more than limestone, hydrogen, and air. It hints at the eventual construction of a vast, industrial-scale network of carbon scrubbers, capable of removing greenhouse gases directly from the atmosphere.

Above all, the new technique is noteworthy because it promises to remove carbon dioxide cheaply. As recently as 2011, a panel of experts estimated that it would cost at least $600 to remove a metric ton of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.

The new paper says it can remove the same ton for as little as $94, and for no more than $232. At those rates, it would cost between $1 and $2.50 to remove the carbon dioxide released by burning a gallon of gasoline in a modern car.
Carbon Engineering says the technique unveiled today has already been implemented at its small, pilot plant in Squamish, British Columbia. It is currently seeking funding to build an industrial-scale version of the plant, which Keith says it can complete by 2021.

Their technique, while chemically complicated, does not rely on unprecedented science. In effect, Keith and his colleagues have grafted a cooling tower onto a paper mill. It has three major steps.

theatlantic.com/science/archive/2018/06/its-possible-to-reverse-climate-change-suggests-major-new-study/562289/?single_page=true

Attached: Capture.JPG (770x445, 54.31K)

conclusion

First, outside air is sucked into the factory’s “contactors” and exposed to an alkaline liquid. These contactors resemble industrial cooling towers: They have large fans to inhale air from the outside world, and they’re lined with corrugated plastic structures that allow as much air as possible to come into contact with the liquid. In a cooling tower, the air is meant to cool the liquid; but in this design, the air is meant to come into contact with the strong base. “CO2 is a weak acid, so it wants to be in the base,” said Keith.

Second, the now-watery liquid (containing carbon dioxide) is brought into the factory, where it undergoes a series of chemical reactions to separate the base from the acid. The liquid is frozen into solid pellets, slowly heated, and converted into a slurry. Again, these techniques have been borrowed from elsewhere in chemical industry: “Taking CO2 out of a carbonate solution is what almost every paper mill in the world does,” Keith told me.

Finally, the carbon dioxide is combined with hydrogen and converted into liquid fuels, including gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel. This is in some ways the most conventional aspect of the process: Oil companies convert hydrocarbon gases into liquid fuels every day, using a set of chemical reactions called the Fischer-Tropsch process. But it’s key to Carbon Engineering’s business: It means the company can produce carbon-neutral hydrocarbons.

What does that mean? Consider an example: If you were to burn Carbon Engineering’s gas in your car, you would release carbon-dioxide pollution out of your tailpipe and into Earth’s atmosphere. But as this carbon dioxide came from the air in the first place, these emissions would not introduce any new CO2 to the atmosphere. Nor would any new oil have to be mined to power your car.

Eventually, a similar process could be used to sequester greenhouse gases. Instead of converting carbon dioxide into a liquid fuel, Carbon Engineering could pump it deep into the ground, reducing the amount of heat-trapping gas in the atmosphere. But such a technique wouldn’t give Carbon Engineering any product to sell, and there are no buyers stepping up to front the effort, for now.

“The main, near-term market is making carbon-neutral hydrocarbon fuels,” Keith told me. “We see this as a technology for decarbonizing transportation.”

Outside experts said they were encouraged by Keith and his colleagues’ approach, but cautioned that it would take time to examine every cost estimate and engineering advance in the paper. The consensus response was something like: Hmm! I hope this works!

“I don’t question that the range of costs they report are valid. I think the lower end of $100 per ton of CO2 produced through their approach is probably doable in five years or so and that their higher end of $250 per [ton of] CO2 is more doable with their technology today,” says Jennifer Wilcox, an associate professor at the Colorado School of Mines.

Sound too good to be true/not suppressed.

Reminder:
THE EARTH IS COOLING WE ARE IN ICE AGE
As temperature decreases oscillations increase.
Core samples.
Look it up.

The earth is also flat

Believe us goys. You must pay more carbon taxes so we can 'scrub' the air clean for you. In the meantime buy our bottled air.

Attached: it-has-come-to-this-canadian-bottled-mountain-air-is-all-the-rage-in-china-video-103063_1.jpg (1920x962, 254.71K)

THAT'S a good investment opportunity!

This, we've been cooling since the 1800s

man…

Attached: sb.gif (400x300, 10.21M)

All shit posting aside, this is huge if true!

If I understand this correctly these motherfuckers just replaced trees! The effects of such a development are as unprecedented as they are mind boggling!

Just trying to imagine a world where trees no longer serve man beyond their fruits and nuts is; I honestly don't know how I feel about it as a concept. Such a place combined with a paperless workplace and economy; it's just to alien to comprehend.

The earth is not fucking flat for the last fucking time. It's a cube. Get it right.

Trees use the sun as their energy source.
I wonder what these guys use?

Exactly.

Have you not seen any of the Blade runner movies? Wood is valued for its rarity, nothing green grows. There are no beaches and there's nothing but sand on wild areas.

Why are scientists so stupid?

/thread
reptile alien kikes terraforming

surprise

Scientists in Iceland are doing something similar. Collecting CO2 from volcanic vents and converting it into methanol to be used as fuel in vehicles. When it burns it converts back to CO2.

Amazing the kind of things humans can come up with to solve modern problems. It really is a joy to see, even if we can't be certain just how cost effective it really is.

Attached: Ingpqah.gif (499x477, 947.49K)

Or whether the rich will allow it.

Technically, this shouldn't require taxpayer investments. It's a new method of producing hydrocarbon fuels, so it's likely something that will get picked up by industry for the purpose of producing fuel anywhere on the planet, rather than some ham-fisted taxhole that won't work

Plants are still needed to produce oxygen and are the foundation of the food web.

I'd like to point out that to do this you'd have to use more energy than you gain by burning the resulting gasoline. Also why bother pulling co2 out of the atmosphere if you then immediately put it back by burning the fuel.
What's the point of this?

Of course, this.

What is the energy return of this process and how can it possibly be greater than 1? The laws of thermodynamics compel you.

reptilian detected. Time is a cube, a cube has 4 sides and the 4th side is time. If you're not reptilian you have been educated stupid.

First off nigger; I didn't say plants I said trees. Second off nigger; what you said implies that you think plants actually forge oxygen in the same sense that alchemists wished to turn lead into gold. You are literally the dumbest double nigger in this thread.

But for your benefit I'll explain why you have maggon filled shit for brains. See a plant uses photosynthesis to take carbon dioxide and turn it into fuel.

See humans breathe in oxygen and through a chemical process turn the oxygen into carbon dioxide. Notice humans do not use oxygen as fuel. See animals eat plants and other animals as fuel and we use oxygen as part of this process to turn food into fuel. In fact when a person loses weight the weight that was lost is lost by breathing it out.

So you see oxygen isn't destroyed nor is it created. It's converted. But this technology, if it is a functioning technology, replaces the need for trees. Instead of letting the trees use the carbon dioxide in the air we could use it as a source of carbon neutral fuel. Again if this technology is legitimate then trees are not just replaceable, but they would become a liability to the energy industry.

Yeah the blade runner movies are great. I was actually thinking about them. I don't think it would be an accurate description of how this technology could disrupt things; that is of course, if this is actually functional technology.

Because you can't turn wind power into gasoline you ninny. Wind and solar are becoming cheaper but they can never replace liquid fuels with current battery tech. Batteries are inefficient at powering large scale devices. However since they are becoming more efficient we can use the power generated to offset the power cost required to turn carbon dioxide into fuel. However, of course, what I said is speculation on what is still clearly a prototype technology. Then again your statement is also speculation. Your assessment is retarded enough for me to say something. You're clearly a nigger tard.

Who wants to bet that everyone involved will turn up having committed (((suiside))).

You swine. You vulgar little maggot. You worthless bag of filth. As they say in Texas. I'll bet you couldn't pour piss out of a boot with instructions on the heel. You are a canker. A sore that won't go away. I would rather kiss a lawyer than be seen with you.

You're a putrescent mass, a walking vomit. You are a spineless little worm deserving nothing but the profoundest contempt. You are a jerk, a cad, a weasel. Your life is a monument to stupidity. You are a stench, a revulsion, a big suck on a sour lemon.

You are a bleating foal, a curdled staggering mutant dwarf smeared richly with the effluvia and offal accompanying your alleged birth into this world. An insensate, blinking calf, meaningful to nobody, abandoned by the puke-drooling, giggling beasts who sired you and then killed themselves in recognition of what they had done.

I will never get over the embarrassment of belonging to the same species as you. You are a monster, an ogre, a malformation. I barf at the very thought of you. You have all the appeal of a paper cut. Lepers avoid you. You are vile, worthless, less than nothing. You are a weed, a fungus, the dregs of this earth. And did I mention you smell?

Try to edit your responses of unnecessary material before attempting to impress us with your insight. The evidence that you are a nincompoop will still be available to readers, but they will be able to access it more rapidly.

Attached: 1526782054080.jpg (1196x676, 673.36K)

Random user says the corruption of capitalism can be stopped by Turning Jews into Dust.

I don't care if this is shitposting, please remove yourself from the gene pool post haste.

Attached: True Detective - If you get the opportunity.....mp4 (640x360, 493.94K)

The climate has always changed, the climate will always change. There will never be a stable climate. Humans did not start the current climate trend, and we can't stop it.

The fuck is he a professor of? Chemistry, geology, climatology? Got to be if he's going to tell people he can freeze the climate in its current state.

Sounds like a fucking salesman, does his name end in "berg" or "baum"?

Attached: 2bwya2.jpg (474x535, 64.48K)

So you belong to the samr species as me?
So you are a cross between a swine, a maggot, bag of filth, a canker and a sore, . putrescent mess, "a walking vomit", a worm, a jerk, chad and a weasel, a stench revulsion and a big suck on a sour lemon and on and on and on.

So tell me how long did you dig through a thesaurus to try and sound like a big boy? You really should get an underage ban little timmy. I had a good laugh at how pathetic that post was.

You're both wrong
The earth is an octahedron

#WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace

#WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace #WhiteChildPussy #BreedBlack #PedoLivesMatter #Death2WhiteRace

i/k rite