Hello, Zig Forums...

Hello, Zig Forums, I would like to know whether clapping during Catholic mass (during songs and after the homily - also when it's someone's birthday) is liturgically acceptable or not.

Thanks in advance, my brothers!

Attached: Clapping_Hands_Emoji_grande.png (600x600, 242.56K)

It's not.

If you are ever unsure about this kind of thing, just consider this: would it be appropriate to do this action at Calvary? If not, then it's not appropriate to do so at Holy Mass.

Attached: 6a45b53cfc9c5fb23e1ca71ee81de84a929ceff89193d48387e7377ffe947a26.jpg (1904x1374, 645.59K)

If it's novus ordo feel free to clap, hoot and holler, blow a vuvuzela, etc.

Not acceptable.

Let's see what a Novus Ordo Pope had to say about it …

Attached: 1423.jpeg (400x400, 49.6K)

B-but when it's someone's birthday it isn't really a human achievement, is it?

It is the human achievement of procreation.

Clapping is sinful by its nature.

Attached: 1501266282859.png (420x420, 11.16K)

It is, but I don't remember seeing anyone's birthday celebrated except Christ's during the Mass.

In my parish, the priest always asks whether it's someone's birthday in that day. If yes, everyone sings the "happy birthday to you" song before the final blessings.

Would report him to the Bishop?

I don't know, man. I quite like him, but the clapping seems kinda out of place to me.

Well maybe speak with him first and see what he says. Say that you are concerned about how inappropriate it seems.
If he won't relent then perhaps go to your Bishop.

NO

next question

this can't be real

Attached: repent.jpg (533x741, 62.1K)

During Liturgy of the Word? Yes.
During Liturgy of the Eucharist? No.

Liturgy of the Word is a community event and even traditionally, non Catholics and catechumens who attend would leave after it's conclusion. I would suggest against it, however there's some cases in which it's acceptable. For example, for kids going through initiation, clapping (depending on the culture) makes them feel good and builds a community spirit. In that case it's acceptable.
Liturgy of the Eucharist is when the sacrifice on Calvary begins and should be dedicated entirely to that. Here, clapping isn't the problem, focusing on anything other than Christ is.

lel

What about directly before the priest says "the mass is ended, go in peace…?"

Just about every mass I've been to, the priest uses the time after communion but before the dismissal to make announcements. That's fine.

Clap all you want. Also yell out THAT’S RIGHT and AMEN when the Priest says something you agree with in the homily.

Attend Novus Ordo and act as pre-Vatican II holy as possible. Kneel for communion, do a profound genuflect, maintain silence except in singing and responses, pray with rosary while you're not doing anything, no touching others during the Our Father, say the sign of peace in Latin. Evangelize through your actions.

Attached: 1522602350512.gif (357x507, 209.51K)

Even as a protestant the happy slappy clappy nature of some churches seems so out of place. I'm jumping in this thread to say the one (and maybe only) time it felt appropriate to clap.

I was visiting a church and during the pre service announcements the preacher was telling the congregation that the previous night one of the kids was hospitalized after someone punted a soccer ball into his head which caused him to go unconscious and seizure. But then they put up a picture of the kid smiling and giving a thumbs up in his hospital bed and the pastor said he was doing well. The room went from pins and needles to a loud applause the instant the picture came up. It was the only time clapping felt like worship, as everyone was praising God for delivering this kid. It was weird and wonderful and really a special moment right there.

But beyond that, I agree, clapping is really tacky.

I thought clapping was a black thing. IDK if black catholics do it

56% spurdo.png