Designing and Building

I'm fascinated by weapons design and I'd like to design and build my own firearms, possibly make a career out of it. I'm currently a student studying architecture, but I've got experience working with woods and metals. Where can I even begin with this? Is military experience necessary?

Attached: designer.png (1920x1080, 1000.4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nq2Bc2WDsLA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

UK doesn't have native weapons engineers, most of Europe doesn't. If you want to work with weapons, you have to move to America or Russia.

Oh

Most US state colleges and universities will have options for it, if you look closely and due due diligence.

No, but there are military schools for engineers, and its usually "free" if your grades and PT match.

The ayyy lmao is retarded. Arms designers exist in Belgium, Switzerland, Germany, Italy, Poland, Czech Republic etc.

A degree in engineering is usually a good place to start. After that a contract with someone like BAE or Thales (although that doesn't guarantee that you'll be working on weapons).

No, not even a little. If you want to be a military engineer then be prepared to accept lower pay than you could get somewhere else, shitty working conditions, and a job that consists of a bunch of grunts coming in with broken kit and saying "I broke this, fix it for me, bitch" Oh, and getting laughed at on Zig Forums for being a POG

Engineering school.

No, absolutely not. You get access to guns if you're either with military or some govt contractor selling shit as if it was golden. Or going to literally soviet tier gun factories for 100$/month.

Go with engineering and make your choice and search options later.

SQTDDIOT

How plausible is it to costumize 4th gen fighters? I know kikes used to infuse western avionics and weaponry in MiGs before it was cool and I know that t least Mikoyan and Saab are trying to appeal to western markets by making their weapons software elastic enough to accommodate western weaponry but is it plausible to lets say buy a MiG-35 or Rafale without radar, engines and FLIR and stuff it with the Typhoons?

Literally doing this very thing. I was thinking of opening a thread on Zig Forums to make it a community project. Depending on the response in this thread I'll do it. Fork yes?

Attached: IMG_20181130_112712.jpg (1920x2560, 2.82M)

I don't mind, we already have 2 threads albeit one extremely autistic about design and engineering. I'm fine with more suggestions or different projects.

Why the hell not? What sort of project or concept did you have in mind?

I don't have much done in regards of design. Just some shitty sketches and a plan.

The idea is a simple weapon chambered in 5.56, pressed metal body with high tolerances. Something made with common and easily acquired materials in the US. A weapon designed to be made and set by hand or basic industrial equipment.

So far, it is of a bullpup box like design with a canted magwell. Gas piston system will be undermounted. I would like it to be ambidextrous.

Again, just shitty sketches. Started this last week.

Attached: IMG_20181211_102946.jpg (2560x1920 2.61 MB, 2.63M)

First you should gain access to firearms and then once you have your loisence you should put it in your mouth and blow your retard head off.

Great taste in music videos though tbh. Hate or Glory is my all time favorite song.

Ok, do you have any particular purpose for it or was it "just because"? If it was, was it something easily made, a project for possible commercial manufacturelol or some personal goal? What do you expect from it and why did you pick these features?I can see why'd you pick gas operation, but what's the point of matching its simplicity, forgiveness and availability of examples with a complex bullpup?

Literally just because. I like solving problems and creating something functional. I do not plan to sell.

If anyone wants to contribute to it's design and construction, it will be Zig Forums's rifle, for all. I'm open to any reasonable ideas.

As for the reason I chose bullpup?
Simple size reduction and added difficulty to the design for fun.

Okay, though i'd like to get autistic and use long recoil for fun.

Haven't you brits banned guns, though?

Attached: Gypsyphonic Disko - Dreidel Song feat. Katey Red.webm (1280x720, 15.46M)

Shit, ignore that. Wrong one.

Attached: Gesaffelstein - Pursuit - 576p.webm (1024x576, 15.71M)

Most work on guns meant to be held by human hands is over. The systems that are worth pursuing have been worked out, and no one is currently interested in anything but copies of AR and AK rifles. It sucks, but future weapons development is probably going to be focused on robots fighting robots using rockets.

I also started in architecture. I switched to mechanical engineering and haven't looked back since. The job market is a little more stable, not really tied to real estate markets and the like.

Personal experience in the shop or lab is a plus for engineers, especially when making tool room prototypes, but almost all mass manufacture will be heavily automated or broken down into simple tasks for fabricators and assemblers.

Go to a state university or equivalent and get a degree. When I say state university I mean one that is still good (not a diploma mill) but not too expensive. If you can find a dedicated engineering college that would work too.

It's not just the degree that matters, it's the skills you acquire in getting that piece of paper.

To work in the industry? No. But if you're running a company that's looking for military contracts then it is a must to have ex-military on staff in order to get contracts with your government.

So much of the appropriations process is nepotism and backroom bullshit. It's never the best design that gets adopted, or the lowest bid. It's that company that hired the close personal friend of someone in charge.

Interesting design, and the way you describe it, this could be an easily produced guerilla/rebel weapon once the black fireflies start their confiscation rounds.

Which can be handheld

Eh, if you want to achieve something for that goal, find a way to easier manufacture barrels and ammo with its components. If you can discover a revolutionary way that'd really improve things them great but otherwise all the work has been done before for you already - check out the PDF thread. If you can find a way to easily get longer and accurate barrels that would allow use of 5.56 efficiently then there is a point in this, otherwise there's none - open bolt SMGs are extremely easy to make, their barrels can be shorter and need to withstand less pressure and effective range somewhat equals accuracy. Using them allows to deal with most threats that can possibly be dealt with without being a guaranteed death or at least kill someone to get a real gun. Longer barrel can defeat soft body armor cops use too. Solve barrel issue, improve existing designs to be at least less clunky, find ways to get ammo in case of powder/round bans, everything else won't be of use for the situation.

My only concern is the time constraints, by the time I finish my current degree and then do Mech. Eng., I'll be nearly 30. I have no doubts I'll produce excellent work, but I don't know just how much being older is looked down upon, especially if I'm going to be starting out with entry level engineering work. Still, I'd be willing if I had an honest shot.

The average grunt is not going to sprint into battle with 30 RPGs to fight against literal terminators.

Sketchannon here.

Barrel issue: This design is to utilize materials commonly found. Procuring tool-steel rod is easier than you think. Bore it (short-ID), harden with oil-tempering, rebore to final ID, then rifle the barrel.
Of course boring can be difficult, but with careful machining and time it can be done effectively. Esp when you can increase precision with CNC machining (which you can easily do in a garage) or Multi segmented barrel.

Ammunition: Can be procured with crude weapons by simply looting from corpses and ammunition caches. Kill-to-Refill

The problem is they vary much from place to place and constantly require some specific semi-legal activity that'd require you leaving a whole lot of evidence and lying about this all to an experienced person. Not to mention all the machinery and skills required to machine either a normal length barrel or a rifling button. Sure, it's easy if you have a full sized mill or a machine shop but there's not much you can do without them. The whole problem is that strict gun control does work at disarming the population and while slamfire shotgun can be done stupidly easy, anything beyond that requires preparation beyond that you could have for immediate response. So is the thing that if you want anything but a shotgun you need to get to machine shop of some kind and you'd still need to get ammo so if you're buying that it's probably easier to just get a gun that way too.

Weird, complex, unreliable, can blow up. If you can pull that off, you can probably pull off a normal barrel. Barrels that rely on some outer layer around the steel pipe are useful though and can be a step in the right direction. Still, unless you can get autonomous with a machine shop or even a welder it's mostly a poorfag option or a last resort to someone not good at crime and dealing with criminals.

Seems legit.

Surely the '6ft tall block of armour' that is a terminator would be better engaged with something bigger than an RPG. Unless you have a way to make howitzers man portable come on Germany, tell me you can make howitzers man portable then it would seem more sensible to use infantry to scout and designate targets than to fire something at them - and that role can be achieved more effectively by a machine designed for the role.

Fitter-turner here. Getting a correct bore would be the least of your problems compared to a multi segmented barrel, since threads ALWAYS strip eventually. Barrel steel is easy to get- it's 4140, which every man and his dog uses everywhere in the world because it's strong, tough, and stupid simple to machine. You can use button rifling tools in a hydraulic press set up to push the rifling through.
youtube.com/watch?v=nq2Bc2WDsLA

Big tip for internal boring anything- don't be an idiot and rely only on your jaws to hold it center. It won't. Either make a bush to hold it out the rear, or use a steady rest.

Either way, I'm just designing it for fun.

Then feel free to post here, i wouldn't mind helping.I hope other streloks don't too