Does anyone know about Oriental Christian theology, liturgy, mysticism? Coptic? Ethiopian?

Does anyone know about Oriental Christian theology, liturgy, mysticism? Coptic? Ethiopian?

Im curious about the developments, writings, and underlying difference between western conception of Christianity and Oriental

Attached: Manuscript.jpg (4392x3216, 5.64M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Tewahedo_biblical_canon
desuarchive.org/his/thread/4475817/
web.archive.org/web/20141006184053/http://thebibleisnotholy.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/cambridge-history-of-christianity-vol-5-eastern-christianity-2006.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Attached: 1497822973231.jpg (526x999, 181.36K)

Orthobro here, the most I can really tell you is basic history about Chalcedon and that Coptic services are quite long. I've been told that they can go on for 5 or 6 hours at a time.
When flags were on we had a Copt or two that would occasionally pop up, but it wasn't anything near common. You're more than likely going to be relying on them seeing this to get the kind of detailed insight you're probably looking for, but I wouldn't bet on them being around.

As far as I know, we've never had an Ethiopian post here, but they're a whole different box of chocolates from the Copts. I'd actually be interested myself to hear someone from that church talk about their traditions.

Attached: images.png (291x173, 5.7K)

That looks like a dick.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Tewahedo_biblical_canon

The Ethiopian Bible has 70 books, many of which have never been translated to English, and it vexes me that I'll never read them.

Attached: EthiopianBible-nd-16.jpg (800x533, 590.84K)

Canon mixed with non-canonical fan fiction. If I were you I'd keep my hands off of that.

So, just like every other Bible collection? There isn't a single tradition of the canon that does not incorporate disputed works you know.

Oh does the actual Catholic canon include Enoch ? That was new to me. Like, people say "lol Enoch was the first book of the OT as it's the oldest an shiet it just was discovered late that the Ethiopians have it". But I ask you: If Enoch is THAT important, THAT old and THAT amazing, why isn't it canon ? Why isn't it in the Tanakh of the jews ? Literally why is it not considered canon after being at least supposedly mentioned in the letter of Jude ?
This makes no sense at all. Do whatever you want, but you shouldn't be promoting stuff like that in a place that is full of (borderline) gnostics and people that have literally never read all books of the actual biblical canon, not even the NT.

Not Ethiopian but I'm reading that Enoch is in the canon of Beta Israel Jews. Ethiopia has a long history with Christianity and Judaism and syncretization. Ethiopian Orthodox Bibles are said to follow the Septuagint much and they include the entire canon along with other additions. Similarly Syriac Bibles appear to do the same and may also have had influence from earlier translations in related tongues like the Aramaic targums.

The earliest Christian converts in Ethiopia were likely Jews before the imperial adoption of it in the 4th century.
One such people that are described as Pagan-Hebraic are the Qemant people which are a subgroup of the Agaw.
Facial tattoos are practiced custom among peoples of the Tigray region. Such practices seem to be recurrent among different tribal Afro-Asiatic peoples. Being fellow speakers of Semitic languages and other Afro-Asiatic languages, the culture and language of many Ethiopian peoples are relative to the traditional culture of ancient Jews.

Attached: 'tattooed lady' parkyns 1853 pg. 28.png (640x640 321.19 KB, 177.18K)

Relax, chicken snacks. Extra-canonical/lost books of historical interest only. If they were necessary to our understanding of the faith, God would have preserved them. But that doesn't make stuff like, say, The Didache, any less interesting.

The Ethiopian Enoch is clearly a corrupted version (more precisely, collection of versions of the Enoch story) and not canonical. But it does give us a window into what sort of beliefs and theories were floating around in the early church.

You do not know da wey?

This. As long as you're strong enough in your faith and theological knowledge to read stuff like that and not be influenced by it.

that's Japanese tho

There was a thread on his the other day with some guy who said to have an old Ethiopian manuscript.
desuarchive.org/his/thread/4475817/

[Assyrian rite intensifies]

Attached: 1523666164690.jpg (3264x2448, 928.08K)

It would probably be helpful to watch videos and hymns of oriental liturgies and such. One of the most prominent differences seems to be the more invocatory tone of them compared to European chants and vespers.

This is strange, the books of Moses expressly condemn tattoos or piercings of any kind

Yeah thus their being referred to as Pagan-Hebraic. Facial markings are a recurrent custom among Afro-Asiatics and many other tribal peoples both modern and ancient. The women of the Afar people who are a syncretic group of Muslims also practice facial scarification. It should be noted that this is in a part of the world that still practices genital mutilation and where such practices probably originated.

Attached: 2e0719abfd8cca7c6fb9fba02e5c387e.jpg (570x238 24.22 KB, 34.34K)

Attached: 1516227011702.jpg (303x400, 25.92K)

The Coptic catholic church of Egypt is in possession of the Ark of the covenant. That is all you need to know.

Ethiopians got it, fam.

Ignore the potentially triggering page name and you may be able to see a pdf of Volume 5 of The Cambridge History of Christianity which discusses Eastern Christianity.
web.archive.org/web/20141006184053/http://thebibleisnotholy.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/cambridge-history-of-christianity-vol-5-eastern-christianity-2006.pdf