Farmers in US killing themselves in staggering numbers,Trudeau right,protect your farmers

"Think about trying to live today on the income you had 15 years ago." That's how agriculture expert Chris Hurt describes the plight facing U.S. farmers today.

The unequal economy that's emerged over the past decade, combined with patchy access to health care in rural areas, have had a severe impact on the people growing America's food. Recent data shows just how much. Farmers are dying by suicide at a higher rate than any other occupational group, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

The suicide rate in the field of farming, fishing and forestry is 84.5 per 100,000 people – more than five times that of the population as a whole. That's even as the nation overall has seen an increase in suicide rates over the last 30 years.

"We're hearing from farmers on our hotline that farmer stress is extremely high," Fahy said. "Every time there's more uncertainty around issues around the farm economy is another day of phones ringing off the hook."

Finances are a major reason. Since 2013, farm income has been dropping steadily, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. This year, the average farm's income is projected to be 35 percent below its 2013 level.

"The current incomes we've seen for the last three years … have been about like farm incomes from early in this century," said Hurt, a professor of agricultural economics at Purdue University in Indiana.

Farmers are also at the mercy of elements outside their direct control, from extreme weather events that threaten crops to commodity prices that offer less for farm goods than it costs to produce them.

"We've spoken to dairy farmers who are losing money on every pound of milk they sell," said Alana Knudson, co-director of the Walsh Center for Rural Health Analysis with the University of Chicago.

As America's trading partners slap tariffs on U.S. crops, those prices are set to be further undermined. Meanwhile, the Federal Reserve's gradual raising of interest rates threatens the financing for many smaller farms.

archive.is/NeBPN

Attached: Dust_Bowl_Tenants_01.jpg (600x478, 88.58K)

Socialized farming now.

America's food supply must be protected, no foreen imports

If they kill themselves at a higher rate than trans people, yeah, protect them. If not, fuck them.

Ban gmo and imported foods. The problem solved.

kys today

This is good news!…..

Farmers are rednecks….
They're uneducated…….
White trash…………………

Nobody likes them………
Plus, without food……….
Everyone else will die…..

It's a win/win !…………..

You're retarded and know nothing about the business of agriculture.

US farmers provide more than enough food for the country itself. However, farmers produce a lot of product, we're talking billions of bushels, meaning they're reliant on the export market to get a decent price for their goods that covers the cost of production and gives them enough to live on.

Trump's trade war stops that. Now farmers are going to be stuck with mountains of crops they can't sell, which will force many farms into bankruptcy, causing them to default on their bank-loans, and subsequently lose their farms and homes. The republicans aren't even beginning to prepare for such an eventuality, and are, arguably, for the collapse of the small farm as it would help enormous corporate agribusiness outfits.

It's terrible, because US agriculture was on the verge of collapse before, and there's nobody in the government right now that gives a fuck about them. Even the new farm bill passed doesn't give a fuck about them, devoting 3/4ths of it's contents to restricting food stamps.

You the fuck do you think exports?
Not the small farm

The suicide rate in farming is higher than the population as a whole in Canada as well.

If farmers are making so little money, why does food that is good for you cost so fucking much?

Because only people with money deserve food that doesn't give you cancer.

Attached: 1441185539177-1.jpg (499x499, 41.53K)

families in isolated locations and in the way of big business turn up dead, clearly it was suicide…

Same problem in rural France. Looks like it's common in Europe too.

We need agriculture reform.

Except noone uses money, just fiat

Straight up. I'm half mexican and I quit buying avocados already

The department of agriculture is the largest department in the federal government.

There needs to be a reevaluation of subsidized crops. Broccoli, has gone up a lot as well as beans, cabbage, and corn. Stop making Farmers off themselves for growing soy beans.

"We've spoken to dairy farmers who are losing money on every pound of milk they sell,"

milk, a liquid, is sold by the pound?

That must be why so many Russians didn't starve.

I recall a similar conversation piece being mentioned by Putin in his big speech he had a few months ago with a milk farmer who explained to him that powdered milk was affecting his ability to sell.. something along those lines.. I think this farming issue is starting to be a global problem for many first world countries.. So I think the people in charge of financing/decreasing hardships in these sectors must act quickly.. Can anyone pull up a statistics on equivalent imported goods and explain if that has any effect on this negative outcome? They also mentioned bad weather.. So perhaps companies like monsanto and others… especially tech giants need to team up and provide a newer and perhaps more automated method of agriculture to people.. This is my vision just like many others out there.. I think we are at this point in time where that technological leap is necessary and needs to be readily available for people to utilize and have access to.

I prefer a third position policy.

Also, I would include emphasis on permaculture.

That what the government wants. What's your point? They think it's their fault when it's the government's fault. Never mind city dwelling boot lickers. The don't help either. Right there with .

You all deserve what's coming. Even those of you who think you'll be tying the ropes. All of you will get what's coming.

Sure thing fam.

This has always been a problem since the Roosevelt administration. Farmers make their money from slush funds. They're welfare queens who poison everybody with a cloying abundance of cheap, inedible corn that's refined into HFCS.

Only in England.

still a thing?
If so……
Then the GMO
MONOPOLY
IS STILL
A MONOPOLY,
and therefore is still sueing farmers for using their seeds… And poisoning the public at large…
Lulzy Kekkles ™