Designing a Rifle

I want to design a rifle, mostly for fun and partly as a first step towards building my own, however I don't know where or how to start. What are some books or articles or anything I can read to get an idea where to start?

Attached: 061b23c6792cce1763db86f852c08caaf9779c150a685e58fbccf8a11fd76a76.jpg (389x411, 34.59K)

First post, mutt post.

But in all seriousness, perhaps you should have started in the QTDDTOT thread, the PDF sticky, or searched the catalog for duplicate threads; I can recall at least one thread pertaining to gun designs in particular.

Attached: chinks and dogs.jpg (392x221, 17.15K)

I had this idea, too. My conclusion is that it will take you 2000+ hours to build one with proper equipment. And it is not possible to do certain things without industrial equipment, because they require such precision and sometimes so much strength that you can't do with the tools at your disposal. Of course, you could build the industrial machinery and do it yourself, but the amount of money, time and knowledge required would be better used by buying a rifle yourself or designing rifles at big companies. But, if you want, there's a nice movie on YouTube about Holland & Holland craftsmanship.

Congratulations, you now have the basic principles sorted. Depending on your number of remaining fingers/eyes/arms remember, low explosive for propellant, high explosive only inside the projectile after the first test fire you may want to iterate and improve on that design though.

I smell some sour grapes.

Always an option but for now I'd prefer to put my energy towards building and making stuff, I was thinking a bullpup with a rifle grip, sort of a better and american version of the L85A2, and in a better caliber like 7.62×39.

Thoughts?

How the fuck does it take 2000+ hours? Are you mining and smelting the ore for the barrel yourself on foot and walking into the middle of the rainforest to wait a month for a shaman to bless the tree you're cutting down for the stock or something?

So you want to make an MDR?

I don't know. Have you tried using good metal without industrial machinery to make a rifled barrel millimetrically precise with the proper finishing? Have you tried precisely building the small parts? Have you treated metal? Are you sure the bullet won't explode your fingers off if there's a high chance you fucked something up? I don't think so, because I'm talking about building a high grade rifle, not two fucking pipes, a nail and a shotgun shell smashed together.

Attached: 39891742.jpg (2560x1440, 828.11K)

Also, I'm considering that you're a realtively busy person who works, puts time into his studies and the growth of himself and only has 2 hours a day to work on it at most. At most.

Yeah except without the pistol grip and wood instead of polymer

We work on White Man's Time here. That shouldn't take more than one hundred hours tops. We don't tolerate brazil nigger tier monkey tool engineering either.

Sure, buddy. I have more white blood than you. I am smarter, faster and stronger than you. I have a clear edge. I bet you have a complex because you have mixed blood and doesn't even have a full beard. How pitiful.

And good luck building your homemade high quality rifle with your tools in 100 hours. If you could do that, you'd be working for a company and building expensive artisanal rifles, not coming here and asking for help. Call me when you're at the ER as a result from your fine piece of 100 hours engineering.

I mean if you're going to spend that much time on it, you might as well design a manufacturing process for a rifle, then start a company selling them. You could probably develop the entire process in 2000 hours if you had a bit of solidworks knowlege and mechanical aptitude.

Probably, yes. But we're both wrong about how many hours it takes. Are you going to build a M24SWS in 100 hours? No. Is it going to take 2000 hours? Probably no.

Show your flag, Occupied Rhodesia man.

You can always cheat and buy a barrel then worry about more fun things like making an action. The barrel really is the hardest part, and the worst thing to have fail.
For a reciever, 3d printing pla components that you have made in CAD then doing a lost wax type casting in aluminium seems like the best way to get complex parts easy and fast. Cast parts with smaller holes than you want so you can clean them up with a drill and keep some good tolerances. I haven't tried that yet but I have 3d printed some grips and stuff, 300$ for a 3d printer is a good deal if you want to dick around with your own designs.

Attached: Capture.PNG (379x698, 178.4K)

Faggot thread by faggot OP: look at the .pdf list that's stickied.
But shitposting aside I can spoonfeed you for the sake of anybody lurking moar like you should have:
I can wholeheartedly recommend Hatchers Notebook by Hatcher and "Random Shots" by Rayle to get you started.

that and lurk moar faggot I learned 80% of what I know from threads here, there's plenty of information going around. Some threads to get you started:
(check'm)
(checked)
(some good info here while we're spitballing ideas.
(this one's got a wealth of information)

these are current threads, imagine how much you'd know if you lurked even more. . . .
picrelated it's me

Attached: its all so tiresom.jpg (492x449, 19.6K)

First, name what you need your tool for in exacting detail. Then, look at other designs on the market that do the same thing, and then pick out what things you don't like about it and add them to your own design requirements. Then design it, go through revisions, and then prototype it using existing data and designs, pushing the envelope slowly and cautiously until you have what you want.

This applies to everything.

But how is that true if you're gonna take 2000 hours to his 100 catch up to weak cracka? 2000 hours gets you a fine gun with you in your coffin, his 100 gets a slam-pipe shotgun that sent you there…

Fucking HueHue's and their ego tripping…makes us American's look humble in comparison.

This guy makes his own guns I think hes pretty cool. theres another guy i think somewhere that more shows the in dept actual machining of the parts if i could find it

Build a M21 SWS in 100 hours. You can't buy the barrel. You have nothing to lose, since it's an essential skill in case of SHTF. ALSO, READ THE THREAD FIRST. You are what lowers the American IQ.

Attached: meeting_argnetines_on_the_internet.gif (280x203, 1001.45K)

Watch Karl.

You're a fucking retard.

Step 1: copy an existing model successfully.
Step 2: copy another existing model successfully.
Step 3: a few more
Step 4: Now improve an existing model, but fail
Step 4: Keep doing that
Step 4: More of that
Step 5: Eventually you'll succeed at making an improvement
Step 5: It's not a good product
Step 6: Keep doing improvements until you have a SUCCESSFUL (like one you can fucking sell legit). Trust me, your first fucking improvement won't be good enough, it will probably be an improvement, but not enough to sell it.
Step 7: Hopefully now you have a reputation & the ability to hire a team. Design the new gun you always wanted to. And use help.
Step 8: Thanks, you've made firearms better for all of us. It's a lifetime of dedication, should you choose it. No guarantees either.

you will need a lathe, welder, and a vertical mill at minimum. check the net for used machinery auctions in your area if you live somewhere with industry. i scored a few heavy duty machines and a fuck ton of paraphernalia for literally a bottle of piss back in november.

Attached: Pepe liberator.jpg (1024x606, 80.5K)

Attached: karl the cuck.jpg (1455x2048 66.03 KB, 265.42K)

Attached: karl.jpg (531x588, 54.66K)

The worst thing about this is that it's just boring LeVay satanism, which was pretty much created so the creator could fuck underage girls (kinda like Wicca tbh), if it was the ultimate edge kind like O9A it wouldn't be so pathetic.

Attached: 05b88ff8cf9263e923e5e560469e355b866a3d1773341c4e884ad05c918c35a7.jpg (755x621, 32.39K)

It's actually some knock off of that for when LaVeyan satanism is too strong. It's like super weenie hut jr's, but for satanism

Christ save us all.

It seems like I read in one of LaVey's books that it's okay to Jew and screw over other people but not other Satanists, which to me sounds like a major copout since to me, a "real" Satanist would would have absolute disregard for all human beings, including those around them. Satanism in general is for edge-lord pussies that resent their parents for calling them out on being walking vaginas. Every kid in my high school that called themselves a Satanist was a bullied little faggot.

you fucking idiot

Hey guys, i want to build a precision military rifle that shoots 25mm HEAT rounds in my garage. All i have is my dad's old drill and a hammer. Can you guys help tell me hows to do? youtube videos would be great. K, thanks.

My dudes satanism was literally invented by the catholic church. It's a subsidiary corporation, all donation money flows to Vatican.
See in middle ages these people sat down and said "wow, we're stealing cash from hundreds of millions of people, but there are still some who aren't giving us money". And the solution was to create their exact opposite as a "church", and secretly funnel funds back to them anyway.

Catholics are the biggest fucking Jews on the planet, they aren't even Christian.

That's bullshit, but I'd believe it.

Attached: DLjqEALVoAA0-pB.jpg (378x200, 25.41K)

This seems like the right thread for this. I've been pondering ways to make a high-capacity lever-action gun with a fixed tube magazine- could this work if you used a round-nosed bullet? I know the ergonomics are stupid, I'm just curious if a curved tube mag is practical.

Attached: Dumb tube mag idea.png (971x857, 43.5K)

Although I'm not an expert on this, I see a potential issue in the reliability of feeding, in so far as the tube would be far more prone to jamming should there be a dent or slight bend in it, and repairing a curved tube would be harder than a straight tube.

Another potential design for an high capacity lever-action gun maybe using rotating tubes. Simply add a bunch of tubes that can be rotated after shooting out a tube - add a latch or hinge so that the tube can't be rotated on accident. You can change out the number of tubes for improved ergonomics/gripping or less weight, kind of like thinkpad batteries.

And after a google search I realised that all I came up with was a modified SRM 1216 with rifle rounds.

Attached: rotary 4570.png (1152x648, 19.13K)

Good points, japanon.

Now, could you make a curved helical magazine, like a Calico on steroids? Or add multiple curved tubes stacked one atop the other fan-style, with a railroad-like switching system to select from different tubes?

At this point you're just making the evans new model carbine

No. You make a side feed magazine like the FG-42 or alternatively you just pull a Madsen.

That's hardly a bad thing. Just don't cover it in picatinny rails.