Oldest copy of Greek epic poem,The Odyssey unearthed in Greece engraved on tablet

An ancient tablet engraved with 13 verses of the Odyssey has been unearthed in southern Greece in what is possibly the earliest-recorded trace of the epic poem, the culture ministry said Tuesday.

The clay slab is believed to date back to the third century, during the Roman era.

"If this date is confirmed, the tablet could be the oldest written record of Homer's work ever discovered" in Greece, a ministry statement said.

The extract, taken from book 14, describes the return of Ulysses to his home island of Ithaca.

The tablet was discovered after three years of surface excavations by the Greek Archaeological Services in cooperation with the German Institute of Archaeology.

It was found close to the remains of the Temple of Zeus at the cradle of the Olympic Games in western Peloponnese.

First composed orally around the 8th century BC, the epic – which is attributed to ancient Greek author Homer – was later transcribed during the Christian era onto parchment of which only a few fragments have been discovered in Egypt.

france24.com/en/20180710-ancient-tablet-odyssey-epic-discovered-greece

Attached: _102466943_8383dbb5-37bd-42d3-9e0b-6ce16da8938c.jpg (660x371, 75.2K)

Other urls found in this thread:

8ch.net/newsplus/res/185563.html#186297
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

8ch.net/newsplus/res/185563.html#186297
is a MUCH more informative thread about the exact same topic, only better

This is very true.
I like GazelleGash's ability to copy/paste much better than whoever this "Anonymous" joker is.

Did they remove the ability to crossthread in the last hour or so? It was working before!

lol nope

No, this is the better and more informative thread.

My sides!
Archaeology and science news incoming ITT.

JizzyJazz is an inferior copier & paster, compared to your world-class CNP skills

Attached: PicsArt_07-12-10.57.52.jpg (1850x1480, 119.43K)

fuck off Jeb Fumblefuck

inb4 some kike "accidentally" destroys it or it's brought to some country where they destroy white culture to make space

The clay slab is believed to date back to the third century, during the Roman era.

Attached: Screenshot_20180714-012727.png (1080x1920, 1011.24K)

the ride never ends for you, does it?

fuck off to your dragon dildos Jose Nippleslip

stop destroying white culture and positron and we'll stop prosecuting you chaim

May as well provide some 'real' entertainment for the edification of anons before Johnny gets this thread nuked.
This is now a general scientific theories and archaeological discoveries thread.

Attached: PicsArt_07-14-01.35.14.jpg (634x423, 52.1K)

I for one would argue that I'm a fossil, and therefore this thread should be bumped

But this one's even better and more informative

I don't know what's more pathetic, the spam, or needing to invent an "user" friend to back him up.

I feel so 'invented'.
Lel!

From the very beginning, the second video is MUCH better than the first

That's because the first one is baby food.
Gotta feed 'em all though!

I'm of the many world school of thought….

you?

worldS*

Actually, allow me to rephrase that statement:

I believe that it's ALL of the possibilities, overlapping and interundulating

but the 'many worlds' philosophy is the basic chalkboard

You mean we create our own reality?
You mean it's not da joos?
No! Say it isn't so! I need someone 'out there' to blame for all this bullshit 'reality'!
I'm sure that Jimmy Uranus is at least partially responsible for mucking up my 'reality', isn't he? Is it my choice how much? Or is he forcing himself on me – actually sliding his scraggly old ballsack against my chin? Who decides? Who observes what?

Attached: 61c422d809ff1ed3a02820c4821a932f16210c232027845439514f041dc105cc.jpg (364x363, 27.69K)

I'll have to admit that the 2nd vid is THE FIRST TIME I've seen the simulated reality theory presented in a way that wasn't ridiculous.

They did a very good job with it

Wendy just reminded me that I have to be awake at 8 AM to go see my mother who's not doing well.

I'll see you soon

Good riddance, faggot. Now stay up and post some more for our amusement.

Yes, this is the kind of stuff I throw at my highschool kids for their homeschooling lessons.. I just shared it with them last week and thought I'd share it here in case someone felt like learning something for once, or at least seeing 'things' in a new way.
As for Do you really need to be entertained by Jimmy Neutron? You need amusement? Hmmm. I'm going to bed too. Caturday is almost here where I live.

Attached: ad91cc77cccafd64d1865b62ca707428a0de903a095c35a085542ce15f5e3d21.png (929x895, 618.64K)

Want to know how i can tell you're a newfag

Attached: mfw25.png (357x230, 67.54K)

It's the same link

Only this one was first.

If Zig Forums tries that, they get the there already is a link on /newspus/ warning.

Fucking losers will try anything.

JUst kill Zig Forumslosers, it's the only way you will ever beat it..

Just woke up, and had another dream about leaving Wendy again last night. I think I might do it soon. I even told my son the other day that I might be leaving her soon.

I simply keep thinking how much I'd enjoy being by myself for the first time in decades

surely then, this new, original scribe can sue every other copier afterwards for infringement and backpayments of lost royalties.
pretty sure plagiarism too, from half the films and books made since

fuck off you braindead toiletface

/thread/

Attached: 1461888441214.png (1305x892, 453.24K)

I don't think so.
More science and archaeology news incoming..
Also, wtf are you babbling on about re /intl/?
Are you Jim?

Where did u get my selfie

Attached: PicsArt_07-14-09.43.01.jpg (1728x2304, 673.08K)

Attached: sac.png (768x1024, 1.79M)

Cry harder, faggot!

Attached: weba.jpg (1277x711, 76.07K)

K.
What does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Educate yourself.

If this copy is too difficult for you, find a copy that isn't.

I speak for everyone when I say we would rather hang out with neo-nazis than to hang out with a fucking faggot like you

Attached: PicsArt_07-14-06.27.45.jpg (2277x1269, 313.89K)

"The brain never sees light, and always stays in the dark"

Attached: 400px-Jfkautopsy.jpg (400x315, 31.32K)

one of my favorites

….but you really have to be tripping for it to hit you….

Speaking of digging up old treasures, I found this old thread and am doing a restoration on it, since there are 3 Putin / Trump threads on the front page that are nearly identical, and this is way more interesting.
This btw is a fantastic video. It's not too heavy, while being scientifically informative, and the graphics are awesome.

What is going on in here?

An archaeology and science discussion.
Would you like to contribute?