Welcome to the Meghalayan Age - a new phase in history, and your living in it

Geologists have classified the last 4,200 years as being a distinct age in the story of our planet.

They are calling it the Meghalayan Age, the onset of which was marked by a mega-drought that crushed a number of civilisations worldwide.

The International Chronostratigraphic Chart, the famous diagram depicting the timeline for Earth's history (seen on many classroom walls) will be updated.
Image copyright IUGS
Image caption A portion of an Indian stalagmite that defines the beginning of the Meghalayan Age

It should be said, however, there is disquiet in the scientific community at the way the change has been introduced. Some researchers feel there has been insufficient discussion on the matter since the Meghalayan was first raised as an idea in a scholarly paper seven years ago.

Geologists divide up the 4.6-billion-year existence of Earth into slices of time.

Each slice corresponds to significant happenings - such as the break-up of continents, dramatic shifts in climate, and even the emergence of particular types of animals and plant life.

We currently live in what is called the Holocene Epoch, which reflects everything that has happened over the past 11,700 years - since a dramatic warming kicked us out of the last ice age. But the Holocene itself can be subdivided, according to the International Commission on Stratigraphy (ICS).

It is the official keeper of geologic time and it proposed three stages be introduced to denote the epoch's upper, middle and lower phases.

These all record major climate events. The Meghalayan, the youngest stage, runs from 4,200 years ago to 1950. It began with a destructive drought, whose effects lasted two centuries, and severely disrupted civilisations in Egypt, Greece, Syria, Palestine, Mesopotamia, the Indus Valley, and the Yangtze River Valley.

It was likely triggered by shifts in ocean and atmospheric circulation.

The Meghalayan Age is unique among the many intervals of the geologic timescale in that its beginning coincides with a global cultural event produced by a global climatic event, says Stanley Finney, professor of geological sciences at Long Beach State University and Secretary-General of the International Union of Geological Sciences (IUGS), which ratified the ICS proposal.

The middle phase of the Holocene will be referred to as the Northgrippian, and runs from 8,300 years ago up to the start of the Meghalayan. The onset for this age was an abrupt cooling, attributed to vast volumes of freshwater from melting glaciers in Canada running into the North Atlantic and disrupting ocean currents.

The oldest phase of the Holocene - the exit from the ice age - will be known as the Greenlandian.

To win a classification, a slice of geological time generally has to reflect something whose effects were were global in extent, and be associated with a rock or sediment type that is clear and unambiguous.

For the famous boundary 66 million years ago that marks the switch in period from the Cretaceous to Tertiary, this "golden spike" is represented by traces in sediments of the element iridium. This was spread across the planet in the debris scattered by the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs.

For the Meghalayan, the spike is epitomised in specific chemical signatures, the finest example of which can be seen in the layers of stalagmites on the floors of caves in the northeastern Indian state of Meghalaya.

Already the decision to discriminate ages within the Holocene has drawn fire from some scientists who believe the move is premature. They question whether some of the climate shifts used as anchors for the new ages were truly global in their impact.

bbc.com/news/science-environment-44868527

Attached: _102571999_time-nc.png (624x351, 59.71K)

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/pidgin
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

oy vey how did they get away with this?

I have no idea…

Attached: c1e02234063d288cffe6f851112a444000ad65d3bc720bceb74beed2ba7b1c98-0394.png (182x233, 67.27K)

I hope we go extinct in this age.

Imagine if the staff at the BBC couldn't differentiate between YOUR and YOU'RE

as in: YOU'RE ILLITERATE

Attached: PicsArt_07-18-05.26.04.png (1080x1647, 684.44K)

Hey, dum dum……

This is what happens when you click and drag your mouse over the entire article you're trying to copy and paste, and you neglect to exlude the images in the article.

Have you EVER operated a computer before in your life, or is today your first time trying it out?

Attached: PicsArt_07-18-05.31.01.png (1080x1647, 695.92K)

So… You can't differentiate between YOUR and YOU'RE, you don't know how to copy and paste correctly, but you found THIS story interesting?….

I'm literally surprised you remembered to breathe while tasting this bullshit copied story.

You were doing okay for the first 10 words, and then you fucked everything up by trying to improvise and add your own little twist to the headline…

copying and pasting Welcome to the Meghalayan Age - a new phase in history was easy enough, but the minute you decided to add your own words "and your living in it", the entire thing went to hell, because you're too stupid to realize you misspelled the word YOU'RE….

At that point, if you had a hair on your ass, you would have simply stopped and realized you're not cut out for copying and pasting stories…

And if you're too stupid to copy and paste like a six year old, then there's no way you could ever qualify for a job at Walmart or any other menial labor.

At that point, there's no reason to even be alive

*yore

my living in it? are living in its valuable?

bbc.com/pidgin
Meme responsibly.

Attached: d419e81b18d7ab4776e36001b9214c56.png (655x364, 277.96K)

Attached: 255673705_3da087c065.jpg (500x333, 145.53K)

I can't believe BBC has an entire section of their website written specifically for monkeys.

Attached: Hyde the Gnome.png (362x492, 96.95K)

brits are just muslims, niggers, and soyboys now, so that doesn't really surprise me

But the real question is: is there an audience? do niggers "read", when it is written in illiterate-speak?

Attached: f12984932658.jpg (1200x1200, 124.57K)

fuck off unfunny manlet

kill self

Isnt that the feminazi cult that was in control of worst Korea until quite recently?

GRAMMAR:

The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Reportfags don't even realize that post was not made by Johnny Neptune. It was made by me, to make fun of Johnny Neptune"s grammar nazi ways. But you are little bitches who have developed a snitch mentality, so ypu go crying MOD MOD! Save us! We no likey Johnny Neptune! Can't you stop him pleeze? The answer is, you cannot stop him, and neither can the mods. You can't stop me from making fun of him and bantering with him either. Reposting the image that keeps triggering you little reportfags now. Funny how you didn't report any of the actual JN posts. And calling me a manlet is hilarious! If you only knew who I am and how tall I am! Lel! Reposting the image that keeps triggering you now.

Attached: Get Triggered Bitch!.jpg (1200x630, 140.89K)

And mods, if you delete this post and image for a third time. I will just repost again. I would give up and let it stay if I were you. Go ahead and ban this IP. I have a hundred thousand more at my disposal.

Sorry it took me so long

But I'm here now

Let me scroll and find you

Lol

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

That's Daughters of Megalia

SUPERPOWER BY 2030

Shelly was a man you philistine.

bazinga bazinga wahoo

"care" - Post