Scientists develop an artificial muscle from carbon fiber capable of lifting 12,600x its own weight

(Natural News) What makes a muscle able to carry over 12,000 times its own weight? Carbon fiber and silicone, according to research published in the journal Smart Materials and Structures.

The artificial muscle, the creation of researchers from the University of Illinois, is made from siloxane rubber reinforced with carbon fiber. It is capable of supporting 12,600 times its own weight and 60 MPa (megapascal) of mechanical stress.

It can also provide tensile strokes higher than 25 percent and specific work of up to 758 J/kg (joule per kilogram), more than 18 times what natural muscles are capable of achieving.

The muscle has a coiled shape and can be electrically actuated. With the application of only 0.172 V/cm (volt per centimeter), a 0.4-millimeter muscle bundle can lift half a gallon of water by 1.4 inches.

“Coiled muscles were invented recently using nylon threads,” said Sameh Tawfick, mechanical science and engineering professor and one of the authors. “They can exert large actuation strokes, which make them incredibly useful for applications in human assistive devices: if only they could be made much stronger.”

naturalnews.com/2018-07-17-scientists-develop-an-artificial-muscle-from-carbon-fiber-capable-of-lifting-12600x-its-own-weight.html

Attached: Leg-prosthesis-artificial-leg.jpg (640x427, 95.95K)

Robo Legs when

And now they have to size it up and get wrecked by the square cube law.

Daily reminder that if you replace your arms and legs with cybernetics you need to reinforce your spine as well.

Yeah, but the energy to perform those movements still needs to be provided, and the real concern is can they perform human movements millions of times without failure.

NANO MACHINES, SON

This might be used to make bluecollarworker 1.0.

How long until you can get a surgery to become fucking invincible?

Never. There's always a bigger bomb.

bye bye baby

Shut up, I wanna see retards wreck themselves.

How long until I get my exosuit?

Attached: 81vje9M1s5L._SL1500_.jpg (1500x844, 134.95K)

Pretty much this. My knife game is sick.

Considering that you could have picked any other source, why did you choose this one?

fuck you OP, you made me think we finally had one of the good elements of a cyberpunk dystopia

I will punch your head in Johnny neptune

Every beta's dream.
But women will still laugh at you because you're faking it.
The same reason men who get silicone implants and wear high heels get laughed at and considered untouchable by women.
Little beta with his "muscle implants" will be the same kind of pariah because women want the good genes, not the shitty genes covered over with technology.
Better luck next incarnation.

Thank God for white people.

GOML pleb

Attached: 0d6.png (472x470, 303.79K)

Never ever. Do you truly believe corporations and governments will let you become an independent super human just because you have the money? They wouldn't be able to control you.
That kind of body alteration will only be available to military, security companies and the super rich Oligarchy of certain nations.

Don't be naive.

But is it strong enough to raise Tyrone's lazy ass into getting a job?

We tend to be injured when we do a movement millions of times already. (^:

Attached: f5ebe969d93fd547358aca3a4b6feed9.jpg (1920x1080, 470.87K)

OY GEVALT

Attached: dd900d16a3ad8c6e4d665939a1efc4ea66a1ed02b3d1003f065aef8c828ef424.png (1920x1080, 917.38K)

>you'll never be end game JC smacks lips

Attached: shame.jpg (603x393, 25.52K)

So when are lifting cranes going to use synthetic muscles? Youll be able to sync with a crane and control it with your mind like it was your arm

cool, how many nuyen?

fuck Zig Forums. I had quints last month and not a single fuck was given

Retards immediately go to human augmentation

THIS. Powersuits and robots are the real application. Remember the robot dogs and the robot guy darpa has been working on? He's about to get a lot more scary.

Amazing… Just a pity that batteries suck and are only slowly improving. If anything stops us from being cyborg ubermensch it'll be not having enough juice to support high power limbs.

some dreams can come truth

Attached: 51001330_p3_master1200.jpg (600x458, 227.54K)

haven't you heard? dubs are only checked now when it furthers some lovesnot's political agenda now