EU Willing To Scrap Car Tariffs For New Trade Deal With US

Trump's hard ball negotiating tactics appear to be bearing some fruit, with Politico reporting that Brussels is willing to scrap tariffs on all industrial products, including cars, in trade talks with the United States, EU trade chief Cecilia Malmström said Thursday.

politico.eu/article/eu-says-it-is-willing-to-scrap-car-tariffs-in-us-trade-deal/

"We said that we are ready from the EU side to go to zero tariffs on all industrial goods, of course if the U.S. does the same, so it would be on a reciprocal basis,” Malmström told the European Parliament’s trade committee. Sending the ball in the Trump's court, she said that "we are willing to bring down even our car tariffs down to zero … if the U.S. does the same,” adding that “it would be good for us economically, and for them."

While the EU’s car tariff of 10% is higher than the general U.S. auto tariff of 2.5%, America imposes a 25% duty on light trucks and pick-ups.

The European gambit may be a non-starter, as during a first meeting in Washington last week, an EU proposal for including cars in the discussions was rejected by the U.S. Brussels and Washington are holding preparatory trade talks to define the scope of a potential future agreement.

Malmström’s comment goes beyond what was agreed in July in the joint statement between European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker and U.S. President Donald Trump, which only mentioned eliminating tariffs, non-tariff barriers and subsidies for “non-auto industrial goods.”

Malmström insisted that the discussions were not about “restarting TTIP” but aiming for “a more limited trade agreement.” Furthermore, Agriculture would not be in the agreement, nor public procurement as it looks to today, she said.

Following the report, European automakers jumped to the top of the Stoxx 600, which pared declines along with the DAX pared some declines amid hope of improving trade tensions with the U.S., with most names rising over a percent: Ferrari +1.5%, Fiat Chrysler +1.6%, BMW +1.6%, Volkswagen +1.4%, Daimler +1%.

archive.fo/UIn0c
zerohedge.com/news/2018-08-30/eu-willing-scrap-car-tariffs-us-trade-deal-politico

Attached: EU Willing To Scrap Car Tariffs For New Trade Deal With US.jpeg (264x191, 10.81K)

It would be ideal to scrap all tariffs across the board as well as subsidies. Let the market compete on fair grounds, let the consumers decide who they want to buy from. No bailouts, no subsidizing insolvency and no tariffs. This would be much more fair.

That certainly sounds fair.

I would have said it was impossible to get Europe to stop subsidising its car industries but then I thought it was impossible to get the EU to scrap its tariffs on importing cars made in the US and it looks like Trump will pull that off.

No tariffs serve a purpose. They force companies to keep the wealth within a nation, and make it much harder for businesses in countries with strong currencies from taking over impoverished nations. We need more tariffs then what we have now.

If a nation is impoverished probably the best thing that could happen is for them to be taken over by a successful nation.
That is normal and has happened for hundreds of thousands of years.

I would reserve Tariffs for somewhere like China that manipulates the market in an attempt to drive industries in other countries out of business.

Which is exactly why they have such high tariffs against the US, and our stupid government (for many decades) had such low tariffs on other countries. Time to change this. If countries want to slap tariffs, fine, slap the same amount of tariffs back on them. Maybe they'll want to get rid of these across the board eventually? Then let the consumers decide which products are *better quality! Think about this. If your an old timer like myself you'll know hands down we made high quality products way back in the day that EVERYONE around the globe wanted to buy. ;)

This changes demographics, politics, laws, culture… you name it - and not for the betterment of domestic civilians. NO. This is what the kikes would like on a global scale. We need national sovereignty or we lose our nation!

And you know that is the type of turnaround China and the other major outsourcing countries DO NOT want happening.

Correct. As long as we can get industry back over here and start manufacturing the best quality products - with a little elbow grease - we can turn this whole ship around. Middle class wages would pour back into the US, consumers around the globe would prostitute themselves to buy our new top quality products… and cheap ass greedy foreign slave-labor companies with shitty products would flounder into bankruptcy. We'd have our "Westinghouse revoLU" all over again (those who are older catch the drift).

This would be ideal but countries like China aren't willing to play fair

Just put tariffs on China then.

Im not from the US but I believe American made goods can compete with anyone on the world stage as long as the playing field is fair.
The issue is that the playing field has not been fair for decades. Its been normal for the US to get the bad end of every trade deal and we are all used to it.
A market the size of the US can use tariffs to force everyone to play fair. Which in the end benefits the entire world. From what I can see that is precisely what Trump is doing.>>664310

Attached: d6a52c95f4f139286809f338fa1dc2672b3440cb04820bb4711a10f51320d119.jpg (640x634, 68.16K)

Also they preserve cultural norms. Euro agriculture is vastly superior to nitrate fertilizer Roundup pesticide American genetic engineered crops. Nobody in their right mind wants Monsanto interfering with their agriculture or American agribusiness bullshit in their backyard.

true news

True. In the 50s and 60s we made some of the best damn utilities out there, such as the Maytag brand. Oh and true story, I have an old 60s Maytag manual wash machine and it still works today. When my other machine broke down (which was newer made in China crap) I got my old Maytag wash machine out and used it for around a year. Still works great after all these years collecting dust in my basement!

Anyone here remember B&D back in the 70s when they made products in the USA? Still have one of their coffee machines, brew coffee in that old thing every single day! Still works after, what, 30+ years?

China is faltering.
Mexico didn't even fight.
Canada bitched out after like 3 days.
(((EU))) getting cucked.

TRUMP DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S DOING GOY! HE'LL NEVER SUCCEED GOY!!!

You think China will keep their word?
I think they will do the same thing, with just more obfuscation for plausible deniability.

Tell that to the people who die of slave labor after they do this. Tell that to the chinese developing cancer at age 25 because businesses wanted to avoid environmental regulations.

With the number of deals Trump is forcing to be made China is becoming less and less relevant to US trade interests.
The US has never needed China for exports. And these deals with everyone else further compounds that by allowing US exports to benefits producers inside the US further with those other countries. These deals which are actually better for US exports hurt the other countries because they're becoming fair for once. EVEN FURTHER making China irrelevant.

And user. Why the fuck should I give a shit about those Chinese? They don't care about me; as they shouldn't.

ultra news bumparoo

anti-slide 1

Exactly. Everyone knows that cheap chinese made crap is crap. Its not exactly a secret. Its just that with consumer goods people only consider the initial price and dont think about the long term costs.
Some industries dont look at initial price as the most important factor. In those industries the US is always strong.

Consumer habits change over time. If consumers were willing to educate themselves more about the products they buy and where they are really made, that could all be fixed.
I would still buy a made in china toothbrush etc but I'd buy my CNC machine from HAAS in the USA.