Lawsuit: Oregon construction worker fired for refusing to attend Bible study

A 34-year-old man has filed an $800,000 lawsuit against a Albany construction company, claiming the owner fired him after he refused to attend weekly Bible study.

Ryan Coleman’s lawsuit states that he discovered only after he was hired as a painter for Dahled Up Construction that the job entailed more than just fixing up homes. According to Coleman and his lawsuit, owner Joel Dahl told him all employees were required to partake in regular Bible study sessions led by a Christian pastor during the work day, while on the clock.

Coleman told Dahl that the requirement was illegal, but Dahl wouldn’t budge, according to the lawsuit. In order to keep his job, Coleman obliged for nearly six months but ultimately told Dahl he couldn’t go, the suit says.

“I said ‘I’ve kept an open mind, and it’s just not my thing.’ And he said, ‘Well, I’m going to have to replace you,'” Coleman told The Oregonian/OregonLive.

“He said ‘You’re not going to tell me how to run my own company,’” Coleman continued. “I said ‘I’m not trying to tell you how to run your own company, but you’re not going to tell me what god to pray to.’”

Coleman said his religious beliefs are indigenous: He’s half Caucasian and half Native American, with Cherokee and Blackfoot heritage.

Coleman worked for the small construction company from October 2017 to this past April, when he was fired, the suit states.

“This is so illegal,” said Corinne Schram, a Portland attorney representing Coleman. “Unless you are a religious organization like a church, you cannot force your employees to participate in religious activities.”

Dahl's Albany attorney, Kent Hickam, doesn't dispute that Dahl requires all of his employees to attend Bible study, but says it’s legal because Dahl pays them to attend.

“Mr. Dahl feels that it’s unfortunate that he (Coleman) is now trying to exploit Mr. Dahl’s honorable intentions for unjustified financial gain,” Hickman said.

oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/index.ssf/2018/08/lawsuit_oregon_construction_wo.html

Attached: screen-shot-2018-08-29-at-52257-pmpng-b1c3259f376824a5.png (960x733, 970.85K)

Hired with rules in place and failed to follow those rules, yes, he should be fired. You don't like it, tough, suck it up or find another job.

An employer can't dictate your personal life also the article said he didn't know the bible study was a requirement before he was hired

The beauty of a capitalist society. You are not a slave, your boss does not own you. Also you can open a business of your own if you live below your means and invest your savings. If you can't save enough you can also build credit and then get a loan. You'll have to pay back more than what you borrowed so the lender can make some cash but in the end have your business, your debt paid and a lucrative future to look forward to. Nobody is a slave in our society, nobody starves unless they do it to themselves or you know, are disabled and neglected

cuck

then quit

Are you stupid? Did you even read what I said? How is that even a reply to what I said?

employer is out of line. either follow the law or do everything yourself. what a piece of shit.

If you genuinely can’t make the connection then you’re too stupid to live.

Shit like this used to bother me, but fuck it. If liberals can fire me for disagreeing with them, than this motherfucker can get fired for not learning about Jesus. If they don't care about fairness and equality anymore neither do I.

Attached: 6c1b07e7c57543dcb0eb691b01c0fc3717ec0910975f405f1adefa896c953b20.png (761x563, 338.54K)

He was paid to attend so it was an assigned work task, not personal life. Additionally he had 6 months to quit and clearly didn't, so it obviously wasn't a big deal to him to find a job elsewhere. Depending on how the enployment contract was written, this is completely legal.

What a weird business.

Go home Ivan, nobody needs your bullshit here.

Attached: af85b5e6dc6c523577115b7ee785eff78974583e3e498cf25a94b499fc8e915f.png (690x950, 356.06K)

If it was a Muslim boss making a white study Koran you would be mad but since it is favoring your team you think it's okay. This website is filled with partisan shills who don't care who is right, only that they 'score a point' for their team. Each side uses the same tactics, each side are made of the exact same type of person. Everyone here indoctrinated themselves by being led from behind and thinking you came to the way you think on your own.

cuck

No i agree with you. people are entitled to freedom of religion under the constitution. Does praying improve this man's ability to construct walls?

No, then he should be free not to attend.not everyone is religious he just wanted work as a builder without saudi style mandatory religious prayers.

if someone went up to you at work and asked you to kiss a big picture of l ron hubbard and tom cruise everyday because your boss was in scientology, would you do it to keep your job?

We are talking EVERYDAY HERE.

Depends how much I'm being paid and how fun the job is, outside of sucking Hubbard's dick.

Attached: _102401645_tv031779980.jpg (624x351, 22.89K)

I admire the company for tying to restore faith and moral in our communities, BUT this is illegal. You can't force religion on people! Not fair. They need to back down and apologize to this man.

I have to say the lords prayer in scool ery day

thts bad