TRRRRRUUUMMMMPPPPPPP! Bank of America freezing accounts of customers suspected of not being citizens

Saeed Moshfegh woke up earlier this month to discover the strangest thing: though he had plenty of money in his Bank of America account, he couldn’t access it.

An Iranian getting his Ph.D in physics at the University of Miami, Moshfegh used the account for everyday transactions. All he had to do to maintain the account was show proof of legal residency every six months.

“I think it’s onerous, but I’d been doing it,” said Moshfegh, who has lived in the U.S. for the past seven years. He recently married an American.

That Thursday, Moshfegh went to his local branch near South Miami. He was told that the documentation he had provided could not be accepted. Bank officials insisted he produce a different form, according to Moshfegh. The bank was wrong, he maintains, because the form he had supplied was the correct one based on his current status as a student nearing graduation.

“This bank doesn’t know how the immigration system works, so they didn’t accept my document,” said Moshfegh, 36.

Locked out of his account, Moshfegh couldn’t pay his rent, which was due that week. Credit card payments were suddenly rejected.

His case isn’t unique. In recent months, Bank of America has been accused of freezing or threatening to freeze customers’ accounts after asking about their legal status in the U.S. In July, the Kansas City Star reported on a couple who had been locked out of their accounts after Bank of America questioned whether the account holders were U.S. citizens or dual citizens.

Emma Gonzalez, Parkland Mary Stoneman Douglas survivor, gun and immigration activist, and intern with the Florida Reinvestment Coalition, told the Herald she disagrees with the notion that this is an old policy. She believes that the policy has been enacted due to the recent directives issued by the Trump administration.

“We work with consumer groups and financial counselors in immigrant communities across [Florida] and the country,” she said in an email. “This is new. We have Bank of America customers who we’ve spoken to who have never been asked this before last year. If they have this asked of them before they can show us proof.”

In recent months, her group has received several complaints about being asked for proof of citizenship; almost all have come from Bank of America customers, she said. An article in American Banker magazine also highlighted Bank of America as the one institution specifically facing backlash for its policies.

Spokespersons for Wells Fargo and Citibank both said they may ask about customers’ citizenship to maintain compliance with know-your-customer and anti-money laundering rules. They said no new policies asking for citizenship status have been put in place.

Molina, the Bank of America spokesperson, said the new customer complaints may simply be a response to heightened sensitivities to the debate over immigration in the U.S.

But Gonzalez said the bank’s scrutiny has created a chilling effect in immigrant communities already feeling pressure from the Trump Administration’s crackdown on foreign-born residents. 

“Fear is gripping these communities,” Gonzalez said. “It’s like walking into a grocery store to buy milk and being asked for your citizenship at checkout—banking is one of the core aspects of daily life in this country. To be faced with this question in order to do banking seems as un-American as you can get.”

Gonzalez’s coalition has now launched a petition, “Tell Bank of America: Stand with immigrants,” that accuses the bank of abetting the Trump Administration’s crackdown on immigrants, and calls on the bank to to “protect immigrants’ civil rights and stop collecting information about the citizenship status of its customers.” The petition has received more than 61,000 signatures since Aug. 29.

Dan Hernandez, a Broward County native of Cuban heritage now working as a TV writer in Los Angeles, said he had his business account suspended by Bank of America in December 2016. When he asked why, he was told he was under suspicion of doing business with Cuba. His corporation was called Cuban Missile Inc.—”Cuban Missile” has been his nickname since childhood.

“I started screaming that this was racist,” he said. “Like, did you go through every company that had ’Jewish bagels’ in its name, or how about calling someone with ‘Korean BBQ’ to see if they’re doing business with Kim Jong Un?”

He eventually Tweeted at the bank’s social media account—and had his situation resolved within 45 minutes. He says he feels lucky that he was able to leverage that platform and his status to get a relatively quick fix, because he is certain others do not have the ability to do so.

“It was extremely scary,” Hernandez, 34, said. “I knew I didn’t do anything wrong, but it puts doubt in your mind. A bank can crush your life for arbitrary reasons and never tell you why.”

archive.is/BJ7v2
miamiherald.com/news/business/article217095125.html

Attached: wmxuw.jpg (2317x1546, 289.43K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vox.com/2018/7/18/17561538/denaturalization-citizenship-task-force-janus
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Likely ICE pressuring the banks. But seriously, if your an illegal you should not be here. Go through the normal legal procedures and get vetted. Then we'll talk.

This is all apart of the Globalist agenda.

If they can freeze accounts based on suspicion without due process, then they can literally shit off anyone’s account.

When will they start freezing the accounts of right wingers? It is only a matter of time.

Seriously? It's a little to worry about the power you gave the government being used against you moshe.

When did (((banking))) become a (((civil right)))?

ive always said that, but tbh i dont want any of them here. legal or not.

except its not being an illegal. its just being a non-citizen. and in this case the guy is a legal citizen and has been for 7 years. this is just trumps ethnic cleansing. doesn't matter if you're illegal or not. if your name looks middle eastern you're on the deport list

he right tho

You say ethnic cleansing like it's a bad thing.

those damn leftists with their reuplican majority in house and senate and republican president being investigated by a republican special counsel appointed by republicans!

its fucking america. you idiots are all immigrants and trying to argue who's less of an immigrant

I have some good news for you my friend

vox.com/2018/7/18/17561538/denaturalization-citizenship-task-force-janus

No many of us are descended from pioneers who built up the country from nothing, that is unless you'd like to live among stone age cannibals that had to eat granny to get through the winter famine.

ftfy

Legal immigrant descendant, you commie scum. Eat shit and die.

Attached: 6CGbVJ.png (809x743, 736.5K)

Good.

the trouble is he was legal, with a job, getting an education, wife, etc. contributing. banks are scum.

The👏teflon👏don👏

Shouldn't have had a weirdass name. If you're going to be american, get an american name. So many families did this very same thing when they immigrated legally decades ago. My great grandfather did, so why is it so hard for them to anglicize now?

Attached: br6es4qcaku01.jpg (1358x1698, 168.01K)

Attached: 161205132607-trump-main-street-banks-780x439.jpg (780x439, 174.55K)

Based 48th dimensional duck duck goose playing

Good!

Thank you white man for giving us [nearly everything civilized]

Attached: Donals-Trump-Speech.jpg (635x357, 34.79K)

Wtf these bitchy kids are everywhere

Attached: this-girl-needs-locked-up-for-her-roll-in-the-31910591.png (500x717, 123.06K)

Listen here you commie faggot my family fought in the revolution, caught escaped farm equipment and removed injuns. Fuck off back to your shithole.

Attached: WHY.jpg (1024x576, 113.64K)

He can do a list of 5 million things and you know what you'll tell him when he's done? HE IS NOT AN AMERICAN.

That's because being naive and try to please others is a fool's errand. They'll never be pleased. Fuck them and do your own stuff.

Bank of America is the worst bank I have ever done business with. They stole my money. It happened in the '90's.

give money and guns

Attached: heres-what-its-like-to-be-the-face-of-a-national--2-8005-1520467800-5_dblbig.jpg (625x415, 67.1K)

they need to connect them to other outrageous stories to keep the characters relevant to be able to use them later.

Hmmm BoA locks account. who gets the interest from those locked accounts? who gets that money? seems like BoA is going to blame trump for stealing their customers assets.
good thing we bailed them out right?

but i thought all white people are evil colonialists
hmmmmm

Attached: index.jpg (202x249, 4.33K)

this doesnt sound legal… just another thing that bank of america fucks up. they are probably the worst bank in the us

What doesn't sound legal? Freezing illegals accounts?

making america perfect again. fuck yeah

wew.

If only we had specific laws and registries to determine who's a confirmed true-born, who's a confirmed immigrant, who's a confirmed refugee, and who just showed up without informing anyone!

I almost jizzed in my pants at that subject title, even though it probably has nothing to do with what actually happened

AYE YAYE YAYE TENGOS UN DIOS MUCHACHOS ME PREGUNTA NO LOS DINEROS TENGO LE DENGO YO SOY UN LOS TE QUE!!!!! AYEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Attached: stock-photo-mexican-pesos-with-man-diego-rivera-crying-getting-up-from-banknote-590052791.jpg (450x315, 23.61K)

Sorry, meximonkeys! You're not getting any Trump bucks you border hopping bastards

People will always fall for these tricks, Bill Cosby and everyone jumped now you can lose your life over accusations but hey it's ok because Cosby is a nigger. Now again we see things happening like bank accounts being frozen without a trial or decision making process and you faggots jump on it and say well he was illegal. In a few years you'll get the same treatment because people will label you dangerous or a terrorist and ruin you. You directly helped in making the world this way.

They aren't allowed to use our banks here because they aren't allowed to be here.

Attached: PJ_Trump_Bank_LLC_framed_-100.jpg (1000x578, 81.63K)

As if you needed another reason not to keep your money in a bank.

Solo tengo vel en splitchte
Un coloso nosay deesay
Solo tengo me un splecho
Un LA mirrazon de olo

You fuckers get what you deserve.

And (((you're))) an unwanted fucking squatter.

The problem with your line is it is demonstratably false. You can't immigrate into something that isn't a country. hurrr durrr native Americans!!!!