Nuclear Power Plants At Risk Of Direct Hit By Hurricane Florence

AS IF TIMES CAN'T GET ANY MORE CRAZY, THEY JUST DID!

North and South Carolina nuclear power plants are in line for a possible direct hit from Hurricane Florence.

According to the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC), there are twelve operating nuclear power plants in the Carolinas that make electricity by the continuous splitting of uranium atoms (i.e., a nuclear reaction). These plants generally reside near a body of water—a river, lake, estuary or ocean—because they require a constant source of water for cooling purposes. Without cooling water, a nuclear reactor will overheat, leading to core damage, containment failure, and release of harmful radiation into the environment.

"Florence will approach the Carolina coast Thursday night into Friday with winds in excess of 100mph along with flooding rains. This system will approach the Brunswick Nuclear Plant as well as the Duke-Sutton Steam Plant," said Ed Vallee, a meteorologist at Vallee Wx Consulting.

"Dangerous wind gusts and flooding will be the largest threats to these operations with inland plants being susceptible to inland flooding," said Vallee.

He tweeted a few weather models Tuesday morning that forecasts rainfall amounts 15-40" range in some regions along the coast.

One of those models is the ECMWF Total Precipitation, which shows the most torrential rain could be situated around the two nuclear power plants in Wilmington, North Carolina.

Also, there is a significant risk of “a life-threatening storm surge” of up to 20 feet or higher along the coast where the nuclear power plants sit.

"The latest forecast is projecting that Hurricane Florence will strengthen “to near category 5 strength” before it makes landfall in the Carolinas, and it is being called “a serious threat to lives and property”. It is extremely rare for a hurricane of this intensity to come this far north, and one expert is claiming that Florence “has the potential to be the most destructive hurricane we’ve had in modern history for this region.”

At this time, the government is warning of “a life-threatening storm surge” of up to 20 feet or higher, “life-threatening freshwater flooding”, and “damaging hurricane-force winds”. But there is another factor that not a lot of people are talking about. There are 12 nuclear power reactors in the Carolinas, including two that are located right along the coast, said Economic Collapse Blog.

Flooding from the storm could be catastrophic for the nuclear power plants. Excessive amounts of water can damage equipment or knock out the plants' electrical systems, disabling its cooling mechanisms. This is what happened at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant in Japan as a result of the March 2011 tsunami, causing severe damage to the plant's reactors.

At 5 a.m. Tuesday, the NHC released a report specifying Florence was about 975 miles east-southeast of Cape Fear, North Carolina, and moving west-northwest at 15 mph. Its center will be wedged between Nassau and Bermuda on Wednesday and approach the coast of South and North Carolina on Thursday, as a possible Category 4/5 storm.

archive.fo/WJgyG
zerohedge.com/news/2018-09-11/nuclear-power-plants-risk-direct-hit-hurricane-florence

Attached: Nuclear Power Plants At Risk Of Direct Hit By Hurricane Florence.png (890x649, 413.34K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uCBP2Q0cmEI
youtube.com/watch?v=RsnVzaa1ksU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Weaponized weather warfare by HAARP and GWEN Towers, all part of the deliberate destabilization of the US "FEMA regions" for the Agenda 21 global depopulation "Climate Action Plans". If they can't disarm the public by legislation, they'll use weather modification to wipe us and our coastal states out completely!

youtube.com/watch?v=uCBP2Q0cmEI

youtube.com/watch?v=RsnVzaa1ksU

Please let this be a chernobil to cure America from its mutt menace.

It could be more like another Fukushima which was 100x worse than Chernobil (the Pacific ocean is still glowing around China and Japan since that incident with mutant sharks and sea creatures!)

Yeah I saw all those tentacle creatures in the Japanese cartoons. That is a direct result of Fukushima.

The article leaves out the fact that the Fukushima Dai-Ichi power plant's safety systems were non functioning due to massive neglect.
Nothing is going to happen in Florida because not only do they have functioning safety systems, but they also know that the hurricane is coming and can make preparations.

They werent just neglected they were very poorly designed in the first place.
The reactors easily survived the massive earthquakes and Tsunami but the generators that pump the coolant got flooded.
No US power stations can fail that way. Modern designs use the heat from the decaying fuel to power the coolant pumps. Which means you always have coolant as long as you have heat.

Do you have any proof of that claim? Not saying it couldn't be true, but I don't just sit back and take one's word anymore. Too much disinfo out there being spread now days its hard to tell who to believe anymore.

Hint: America supplied the engineering for Japan's nuclear facilities.

The US only has 2 stations on the east coast where you get Tsunamis and they are both modern. With multiple redundant systems to protect from earthquakes and tsunamis.

But the Japs didnt follow the safety rules. Which really doesnt fit their national stereotype.

OK, so were Japan's facilities not modern? Were they really outdated? Whats the major difference exactly?

It was a combination of multiple factors, such as the designs being unable to cope with excessive floodwaters, negligence in performing regular maintenance and safety procedures (like every other nuclear plant on earth), and general unpreparedness to handle a non-textbook disaster scenario.

HARP'd Katrina/Fukashima hybrid baby, with simultaneous Falsie for Martial maybe?

I just want to make it clear: if any folks live around these areas AVOID FEMA! There have been a lot of crazy shit going on I have heard where FEMA will be loading up people into trucks, and those people never get heard from again. If they come after you, shoot at them seriously!

Gooooooood gooooooy! Give us a reason to retaliate and take your guns. Oy vey, FEMA was just trying to help! Some redneck Trump worshippers went and shot them! We need to impeach Trump before it's too late!

no it was israeli submarines gtfo

WHOO HOO! THIS WASN'T MY FAULT!

Attached: 45348378.jpg (1400x888, 450.04K)

I don't think they're "helping" people if you have seen some of the footage I have seen. Disturbing actually.

if that had hit japan 8 hours earlier when workers were chamging shifts, all japans reactors would have been critical with short lened staff numbers

actual legit

Nuke plants are always in the line of hurricanes in Florida this is nonsense.

Shouldn't they be building nuclear power plants a bit away from the coastal areas to be safer from such threats? Also, if we used thorium reactors the threats of leakage would not be nearly as bad.

It's not. Obviously it's a direct result of Hiroshima.

Attached: original.png (1092x2188, 101.7K)

Correct they werent modern.

Fukushima was comissioned in 1971. Diablo power plant is the only US nuclear plant in a tsunami zone was comissioned in 1985.
So while Fukushima was very outdated you could argue that the US facilities are outdated too. Just because it looks cool and futuristic doesnt mean it is.

If they designed a plant with modern (2018) standards it would be the safest place to be in the world during a tsunami.

Thanks for the correction then, I really hope your right. I just hope they don't plan to stage some false flag bombing in one of these plants during the hurricane as an excuse to push their Agenda 21 anti-carbon scheme.

they are made of strong concrete the chance of anything happening is small

You need more than just concrete for strong infrastructure. Thick galvanized steel would be much stronger and could endure more than concrete could. Strong enough forces can reduce concrete to blocks of rubble. And I would seriously hope most of the actual power plant is deep below the ground, with highly re-enforced layers of protection!

A hurricane is much less of a worry than a tsunami.
Usually they dont even bother turning the plants off during a hurricane and when they do its more to protect the turbines and switchgear. The reactor itself is protected by very thick concrete.

At fukushima they put the backup batteries and generators for reactor 1 in the basement of the turbine buildings. So when the turbine building flooded, the backup batteries and generators that were supposed to take over powering the pumps got flooded as well.
In reactor 2 they put the backup systems in with the reactor which is why that was far less severe.
They even had off site diesel generators on standby. But they couldnt connect them to the pumps because the switching stations were flooded by the tsunami.

A tsunami is a fucking bitch. A hurricane is absolutely nothing by comparison.
10,000 japs died due to the Tohoko earthquake / tsunami but only 1 died due to the failure of the power plant.

I'll give an example of how weather wares concrete easily. Take a look at an average poor area, and look at the concrete sidewalks. See all the massive cracks and tiny holes in it all over the place? Thats from a decade of rain. I've laid cement myself before, I know how simple it is to wear and tear over time.

I still say they should be using thick galvanized steel, at least have the concrete around it from the outside (for looks), but concrete should be for looks only, not heavy duty re-enforcement.

If they utilized thick galvanized steel for re-enforcement, even tsunamis would not be such a big problem, they could have the reactors turned off during such times of emergency and those buildings would not weather for hundreds of years.

I would hope its not.
Because in the event of a failure, radioactive waste could get in to the water table and rather than just a handful of pepole dying you could have millions of deaths.

After Chernobyl the real heroes were the guys who dug under the reactor and poured concrete down there.
The guys on the roof were just showoffs.

The pressure vessel, which contains the nuclear reaction is metal. Usually some kind of special high tech stainless steel.
They add ten foot concrete on the outside for stability and shielding.
The Japs made their pressure vessel from a certain material that gives off hydrogen at high temperatures. Which is why fukushima exploded at all.

Well if you had the proper layers of protection a leaky reactor wouldn't become such a problem because it would be in an isolated area not able to seep into any nearby water supply or waterbed. If massive amounts of concrete all around it does the trick then I guess thats good enough then.

A leak would be a worst case scenario event, but obviously they plan for the worst case scenario.
Obviously the Japs didnt in Fukushima. Which is out of character for them I think.

Im not a structural engineer, but I think the strategy with concrete is just to go mad and put it everywhere you can.
Your right that there are other materials which could protect better. But you can go totally over the top with concrete. Its cheap and its easy to install because you just pour it in a hole and it goes solid.

you should read a book or something and learn how water cooled reactors are built.

enriched uranium decay naturally produces H. the systems in place in the reactor vessels to collect and discharge the built up gas failed due to power loss. So Boom.

There really is not a way to design a reactor containment structure that is not impervious to a 7+ magnitude earthquake. It prob. wont collapse into a pile of dust, but it will fracture, just because of the nature of reinforced concrete - no matter how thick. It has no real shear strength other than what the reinforcing steel can give. thats what happened at the Fuki. The earthquake fractured the conc. containment structure. Power loss denied the reactor cores with coolant and so they suffered a meltdown, burned through the pressure vessel ( big steel pot with a lid where the U235 rods live in a pool of water) and the melted fuel or some of it drained into the conc. containment structure. pumping water into the reactor core to keep it from going critical and the nuclear fuel from burning through the concrete floor and into the ground below the plant seeps thru the fractures and into the groundwater

That contradicts the official reports which state that the earthquake caused the three operational reactors to perform an emergency shut down. And then the tsunami taking out the coolant system caused a hydrogen explosion which caused the damage.
The three other reactors at the same facility that were not operational at the time suffered no damage at all.

Obviously im inclined to believe some guy on Zig Forums more than the official reports by sneaky japs. But im not sure if what you said adds up.

I heard that the nuclear inspection agency had quite the corruption scandal some time earlier.

Stalker 2:Carolinas!!!!!!!!

"Hey now Stalker, ya'll get on from here.

Attached: bear arms.jpg (600x540, 180.6K)

they did shut down. yes. but the heat generated by the fission process does not just go away. when the cooling systems failed, and the water inside boiled away, the exposed rods gave off more heat, which in turn fuels the fission reaction, generating more heat and so on until it reaches critical or it melts the pressure vessel and escapes. That was the big rush when the accident happened-get water into the pressure vessel to cool the rods or they may wind up with a core reaching critical mass and hiroshima looks like fireworks on new years. the hydrogen build up is a natural process of the reaction and is usually siphoned off and released. it most likely leaked from the fractured containment structure into the steel box with the pretty clouds painted on it (thats just to keep the rain out) collected at the rooftop and boom. the other three reactors were cold -so no boom