Amazon's patent for caging workers was before it's time idea, exec admits

Amazon, which has come under fire for treating warehouse workers "as robots," is now deflecting criticism for a 2016 patent that proposed to house workers in cages.

The patent was highlighted in a recent article by two AI researchers, who wrote that the design illustrated "an extraordinary illustration of worker alienation, a stark moment in the relationship between humans and machines."

While the optics of placing a worker inside a cage certainly aren't good, the patent's purpose was geared toward employee slacking off, rather than freedom. The caged mobile workspace was designed to keep humans from taking too many restroom breaks

An Amazon executive, Dave Clark, wrote on Twitter that the company doesn't plan on using the design just yet.

"Sometimes even ideas before their time get submitted for patents," wrote Clark, senior vice president of operations at Amazon, responding to a Seattle Times article about the patent. "This was never used and we have no plans for usage at the moment.

cbsnews.com/news/amazons-patent-for-caging-workers-was-a-bad-idea-exec-admits/

Attached: Capture.JPG (683x528, 98.52K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/AnXTw
zerohedge.com/news/2018-09-06/bankers-tech-execs-know-collapse-society-coming-and-are-feverishly-prepping-it
twitter.com/AnonBabble

the future looks bright!

Go to a trade school, learn a trade skill and get yourself a trade job then. Simple as that, you won't have to deal with this SHIT.

So you can work alongside minimum wage spics & niggers then have your job replaced by a robot that only requires one human monitor like the bricklaying robot? You’re dumb, no thanks.

No, you are dumb. Robots are NOT going to take over skilled productive jobs any time soon. They can and will, however, take over the paper pushing jobs which can calculate figures and file figures and whatnot.

Look what happened to the recent "police robot" they installed to replace the security guards for gosh sake. The thing fell into a water fountain and malfunctioned within a fucking week!

I would LOVE to see robots drive, gather up supplies from a truck, set up and climb latters, and start shingling on top of rooftops. Guess what Mr. Psy-Fi man, that ain't happening. Its in the realm of the greatest conspiracy and will stay that way. Also, robots easily malfunction and MUST always be maintained. You have to have humans fixing them and maintaining them and making sure their programming is up-to-date. The biggest threat of automation already happened in the 80s and 90s when the average assembly line crew was being replaced.

This is what tradefags actually believe. How's shopping at Goodwill working out for you?

Attached: labor-output.png (440x390, 44.55K)

No idea. Since my trade is a Locksmiting, so I made a damn good living.

I shop at good will because I CHOSE to. It saves money, and thats the freaking point. And its great, they still hire people too, there are no robots taking care of inventories or at the cash registers. All humans, very cheap and great items available!

t. someone who considers themselves "middle class" and thinks Target is a fancy expensive store

As a matter of fact, and this is funny, the keyboard I'm typing on I bought from a Good Will a while back ago after my old one broke down. Guess how much I paid for it? 50 cents.

If I bought a keyboard from Target they'd probably charge $10 for one. FUCK THEM.

5 years ago:
Today:

Attached: 3dprinting_concrete.jpg (800x480, 73.61K)

Attached: 1532999721315.jpg (900x900, 203.45K)

The reason I live Middle Class is because I know how to manage money and am fiscally responsible and avoid going into debt like I would avoid the plague.

Photoshopped futuristic picture, NOT reality. I would love to see how that massive machinery would be installed and transported!

Attached: 3d-printed-house.jpg (1200x800, 165.9K)

You're not anywhere approaching middle class, you're a poorfag who's deluded himself into thinking he's not poor because he can afford an extra bedroom in his bungalow compared to the guy down the street

The real middle class is comprised of people who develop and engineer these machines, which is a line of work that's a few cuts above your tradefag shit and pays considerably more

I have a nice middle class house that cost me 90K back in the 70s, all paid off now. Several bedrooms, nice kitchen and living room, with a fireplace and have a wood burning stove for the winter, with a basement for SHTF storage. I'd call that living Middle Class!

Efficiency kills wealth of the whole and puts it in the hands of the few.
Low prices kills the wealth of the whole and puts it in the hands of the few.

Trade jobs can average 50K to 60K income. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. Perfectly fine as long as you live in a low taxed area with cheaper property or rent.

So you're an old boomer who made it when manufacturing was still strong, and got to live through several economic booms?
90K in the 70s would be almost $600k now.

The apathy that you display over your depressed wages really speaks to the lack of motivation that tradefags have in general. $50k was considered a decent middle class income in 1990 when that amount was worth over twice as much as it is now. But because the decline in America's "middle class" living standards is happening slowly over time, people don't give a fuck

Attached: 1532999721317.jpg (439x403, 41.01K)

The fact is this: there is much higher demand for human labor than there is robots, even today. Sure, you can work for a big tech firm (which mostly is insolvent and more likely subsidized) to program these machines but the demand even today does not match the demand for real labor.

I'll give an example, I have NEVER seen robots cutting down trees or big branches. I do not see them on rooftops. I do not see them at the local shops. I do not see them building homes either. Everywhere I go humans are still doing this kind of work.

Yes, I was lucky to be born before most of our industry was outsourced! And I would NEVER sell the property I have now.

Thats due to massive inflation and fiscal insolvency. And again, it always matters where you actually live. There are still middle class homes you can mortgage for 100K but you won't find these in any of the major cities!

Don't worry.
When SHTF niggers will take all your 'property' lickety-split.
You may want to rethink your strategy.

So this means we can just ignore any effects that automation will have on the economy? Automation is used because it demonstrably allows more work to be done for less. Unless demand grows to compensate for the shrinking need for work, it's going to have an effect on people's lives and their ability to make a living.

You've already lived most of your life so you don't have to worry about what the world will be like in 30, 40 or 50 years. They already having working prototypes for robots that can build homes

Attached: 1532999721419.jpg (700x664, 116.02K)

This is gonna be fun to watch the boomer do as boomers do and vehemently deny that things really did go to shit under his watch. Millennial channers gonna do the millennial channer thing where they overwhelm him with graphs and hard data.

Not without a fight to the death and those niggers best beware of it.

By that time the US dollar will be worthless, the Tech Bubble would have Popped, and you techies are in for a real big surprise when you find out at that point NO ONE will need your stinkin' robots to do the work men can simply do themselves!

Overwhelm me like the robot you already are.

Ooh, ooh! I want in on this boomer bashing! :DDD

It already IS worthless, it's not tied to anything concrete. The jew made a wish in one hand and shat in your hand, then told you the shit was gold and you believed him.
Won't happen. Banks "popped" in 2008 but they were "too big to fail" so they just waved that magic wand and made you believe that the shit in your hand you gave the government saved the banks. You really think they won't do that for FBI/CIA/NSA assets like Google, Facebook, Twitter, etc.?

It won't be a total technological collapse, it'll be more like technological stratification of society. The rich jews will have their robots that will continue to enrich their masters while good ol' country boys like you will languish in poverty.

Your graphs are based on theory and speculation which does NOT represent actual reality. The truth about automation is that it does have limits and does require humans to maintain and fix up. No company is going to buy $500,000 worth of machinery to build a few homes which would cost them an average of 50K to build via hiring manual labor. That would be the pure definition of insolvency if they tried doing that, which leads to bankruptcy in the long term.

Tee hee see? This one cherry picked case where a fucking grid is set up around a hut means it's applicable 99.9% of the time.

I'm not some techie advocating for the benefits of automation and gloating about how I have it great. The truth is that automation is coming for the tech sector too.

Automation doesn't just mean literal robots doing your work, it also refers to millions of things companies do to shave off "waste" in their process chain that people don't think about. Like the recent advent of software development frameworks which allow developers to deliver more comprehensive products in a faster time frame.

BOOMEEEERRRRRRRR YEEEEEEAAAAHHHHHH

Attached: 1536217824532.png (861x929, 1.56M)

By your logic debt insolvency never has consequences and the fiat will reign forever and so will all the industry wrapped up in that debt. The truth is fiat currencies do inevitably crash and get devalued to 0. Then what? All those robots won't be maintained or fixed. Those businesses won't even exist anymore. The average folks will re-build via hard work ethics and physical labor. All those kikes will be living offshore to escape hanging from ropes, as always.

Thats why I promote being self-sufficient as possible and to avoid debts. Be prepared in advance and you'll make it just fine as long as you don't live in the death trap cities.

Good goy, just sit back and let God sort it out, the techno-cunts and their robots will just naturally fall on their own. Just keep your head down and let the Jews do their thing for now!

This again. The BLS is notorious for cooking numbers! You are relying on the same lying kikes you hate for economic statistics! The tech industry is a massive debt bubble and it WILL burst someday, beware or that. Thats why kikes are buying offshore properties and precious metals in the first place.

archive.fo/AnXTw
zerohedge.com/news/2018-09-06/bankers-tech-execs-know-collapse-society-coming-and-are-feverishly-prepping-it

Look… how do I explain this in the most simple terms you can understand? … The tech companies are owned by the big banks for the most part, and rely heavily on debt. US dollar denominated debts! The US dollar is a fiat currency, it is backed by NOTHING. As the world turns away from the USD - which they are doing - the USD will continue to increase its debt insolvency… this has consequences. This means insolvent institutions will eventually go bankrupt, even the major banks. Sure, they'll do every trick in the book to prevent it, including cooking their books. In the end it won't work - it NEVER does. Now here's the fun part…. (((they))) know damn well of this fact, and are getting prepared for this. They know the jig is up soon. By the time its too late, they'll be GONE. They'll be living offshore with massive hoards of wealth while our economy collapses and they won't care about the tech industry or those robots either! They won't care about the USD, and they won't care what happens here anymore!

archive.fo/AnXTw

It's literally an elevator to move workers through areas that are robot-controlled so they don't get accidentally injured. You might as well freak out over freight elevators or golf carts because it's the same thing

…. and the ONLY ones left picking up the pieces will be the hard workers too. Those who survive this and those who have skills to re-build our society. Its just that simple. The whole stock market is one massive debt bubble waiting to pop. And the powers that be already KNOW THIS.

You're delusional if you think that tradefags will just be able to rebuild from the ashes in the midst of post-global-collapse chaos and anarchy. Good luck extracting raw materials, processing them, and building shit when you're competing with warlords and gangs for food. What a bright future to look forward to

There are some who actually think robots are going to take 99% of the skilled labor jobs. I'm trying to tell them it ain't happening. Robots are still to this day completely unreliable. There are crews of human workers for every major automated machine to keep it running, to maintain it, to fix it if need be and to transport all that heavy equipment.

Its been done before. It can be done again.

Strawman. Nobody said anything like that in this thread. If they take even 10% of the skilled labor jobs, that still translates into tens of millions of people who are out of work, and people growing up today are going to have to contend with that economic reality whether they bury their head in the sand about what's happening or not.

During an economic collapse 90% of the yuppies die within (give or take) two to three weeks. Lack of water, food and proper sanitation. Cities are death traps, the first ones to die off en mass. Suburbs second. Those who live on the outskirts or in rural towns who are self-sufficient will have the best chance of survival. They'll have land and can utilize skills and resources better than anyone else!

Are there any modern examples of this actually happening or are you just speculating?

Just like all those millions of people who worked in the horse and carriage industry who were left starving by the car factories. Tragic. If only people could just get different jobs…

When the debt bubble pops, don't worry user, those skilled labor jobs that were once lost will come swarming back. There will be no other choice in the matter. And even if 20% of skilled labor were to be lost in the next 10 years, this still leaves us with 80% left over. Skilled labor - no matter what Tech propagandists and yuppy bureaucrats claim - is still in very high demand right now.

What are the jobs being automated being replaced by? Why is the labor force shrinking even as productivity continues to explode?

>mentions (((them))) but conveniently omits the fact that (((they))) would rather reign in hell than serve in heaven
Boomers, everybody. Just let the whole thing collapse and then FINALLY they'll leave us alone, r-right? I mean, it happened to the Russians, it happened to Ukraine, it happened to the Balkans, it happened to Germany… r-right guys?

It doesn't, you stupid fucking boomer. What part of WE ARE ALREADY INSOLVENT do you not understand? Your money has no worth except what people arbitrarily assign it in their computer databases. $1 may buy you a quarter pounder at McDonald's, but that doesn't mean that $1 is actually physically worth a shitty quarter-pounder, it just means that the arbitrary value some banking jew put into his computer for $1 is the same arbitrary, imaginary value McDonald's assigns to their quarter-pounder. We are trillions of dollars in debt and we are still considered an AAA debtor. Just trust us, because we say so goyim!

If the financial system implodes, it's not imploding for (((them))), it's imploding for YOU and YOUR CHILDREN.

Let me provide you an example…. 3D printing and CNC milling for residential use is a thing. This has potential for people to create all kinds of things (which is a good thing!) But… how many people really do this kind of work and make their own products? LESS THAN 1% today!

It's not about replacing jobs, it's about some jobs becoming obsolete with technology and new jobs being created with technology. What new jobs replaced the telephone switchboard operator jobs? There weren't "replacements" for that skill, people just moved on to new jobs as new industries open up. You want me to come up with a comprehensive list of every job being lost and what other job people can do? Come back to reality, m8. Productivity will always explode as technology increases efficiency.

I already made the point your trying to argue with me about. We are insolvent, the whole system is and that's my very point. Bubbles will burst at some point. This DOES have consequences. But the kikes that you bitch about won't be here, they'll be offshore watching the collapse from a distance. And yes, hard work and labor will re-build our society bit by bit. Its never easy but it can be done. Look at all the collapses seen throughout history, those nations inevitably re-build and will become civilized over time after the unproductive hoards die out.

How about you come back to reality and address the facts in . The demand for labor has historically kept up with growth in productivity and efficiency, but this hasn't panned out in recent years. The jobs aren't being replaced. In all of those historical paradigm shifts (such as that of the industrial revolution) you could point to hordes of average-intelligence people needed to operate factories and assembly lines, but the jobs being created by automation (i.e. building robots and designing software) required advanced degrees and far fewer people are even capable of doing them in the first place

When they replaced the assembly lines they hired a bunch more engineers, not to mention the trade labor that can maintain those machines and fix them up. Thats what I was trying to point out before. You could say these jobs replaced the assembly line workers, not just machines.

I would bet my ass that the amount of engineers they hired was fewer than the amount of assembly line workers they replaced, only what new industries are opening up for them?

Think about every industry that started because cars became affordable to the average person. Gas stations. Car dealerships. Car repair. Car cleaning. Car parts. Car racing. Car marketing. Roads. Road repair. Etc etc etc.

Trade jobs provide enormous opportunities in many fields. Even today with the use of automation. You still have to have electricians, you still need mechanics, you still need plumbing assistance, you still need transportation of this automated equipment, you still need those workers who clean up the facilities, etc.

Even this is true. Anyone ever been to drag races before? I have and have visited the pits many a times. There are tons of mechanics routinely fixing up those engines and doing repairs. They travel all over to do this kind of work too, and then have their time off to visit their families from the money they made. Huge industry alone is car racing, lots and lots of fans out there buying up tickets every year!

Yes, cars were a transformative invention that created millions of new jobs and new sectors of the economy, but you can't take for granted that automation will do the same thing. When cars were invented, new work was created that didn't exist before. But with automation, new work isn't being created, or at least not at the same pace as old work is being made redundant. Cars didn't do previously-existing work that humans once did

Yet again, you completely miss the point. Yes, there is still a demand for humans. But is demand for them growing with our population or not? Is demand for tradefags going to be enough for our middle class to continue to remain the envy of the world?

Of course it is. Robotics and AI are both a young industries still.
I don't really see any metrics that suggest this is true. Plus, it's impossible to estimate what kind of jobs robotics will create in the future, just like it was impossible for the horseshoe maker to predict a job like NASCAR marketing reps.
It did previously-existing work that horses did. And it took a whole industry to upkeep that became more or less obsolete.

Yes, except for when the USD collapses, then there will be a period of time when SHTF… that could last 2 or 3 years… then we re-build again. Things should be stabilized 10 years down the road at that point.

Amazon is an evil empire

These are highly specialized fields that the average person isn't going to ever be productive in. So the average-IQ assembly line workers are just supposed to become AI and robotics researchers?
See pic related.
Cool, but horses don't need jobs to feed their families like humans do, and this is probably the most retarded argument I've heard all day lmao

This

Attached: P1-BS893_AUTOMA_9U_20150224164516.jpg (700x664, 116.02K)

Assembly line workers are for the most part already gone. Most have moved on, joined various trade opportunities. Perhaps some didn't.

Again, even in automation there is skilled labor that is demanded to keep that going too.

Ok, I'm done banging my head against the wall. You're either too stupid or too obtuse to understand basic things like how technology and the labor force are in constant flux, and you have some sort of bizarre affinity for making wild, baseless assertions about economics that have zero historical or economic precedent. You can't even seem to understand why the horse-and-buggy industry going out of business didn't cause all the people in that industry to die of starvation when cars came along. Fucking Zig Forums is full of the most cancerous retards i swear.

Nobody is claiming that there will be no work left for humans, so I don't know why you keep bringing this retarded strawman up. I'm just aware of the reality that the economy is demonstrably, measurably, and indisputably becoming more competitive for the average person, and this is being reflected in every economic indicator imaginable

hurrr durrr the future will always be exactly like the past
Did you even read the image I posted, retard? I don't pull stuff out of my ass like you

Its corporate and subversive indoctrination and propaganda for the most part thats at fault. Some people actually think for every machine it replaces 100 workers when simply it is not true. An example would be the telecommunication switch board operators (you youngin's have no clue what I'm referring to likely), many of them adapted and moved on to work in the major ISPs as operators working to maintain increasing digital infrastructure over the years.

So the middle class is still shrinking, the labor force is shrinking despite booms in productivity, economists are accounting it to globalization (read: OUTSOURCING) and automation…

which people of average intelligence CANNOT do, unlike service industry jobs that are being made redundant

Things are bad user, but not hopeless. I'll say this again, skilled trade jobs are in high demand today, despite all the wrongs of modern society. You can learn about it and adapt, or you can throw a pity party. This is what it comes down to. Is life ever fair? NO. And that needs to be understood, so we can provide ourselves alternatives instead of giving up.

Who cares? What use are stupid people? If we have robots to do menial labor, why would we even need to keep you dumb, low-skilled apes around? Just let the retard class die off.

I don't want people to give up, user. I want people to NEVER give up. Fuck having this "keep your head down, life isn't fair" mentality while globalist kikes continue to chip away at our once prosperous future piece by piece. You can work and make a middle class income but decline of western society will still hit you.

And here the sociopaths show their true colors, as if they stand to benefit from such an inhumanly competitive system.
keep dreaming retard – if your posts on here are any indication, you have nowhere near the level of intelligence it takes to be among the machine builders

t. retard with skills on par with a self-driving golf cart
cope more, cattlefag.

You still don't get it. And the honest truth is skilled labor is not dumb. These are productive people who know how to work and get things done. Even with all the outsourcing and automation (which I despise) there is so much more demand for these skilled labor jobs than there are for overpriced robots/machines (which require humans anyway to create/install/maintain/fix up).

You jest, but I'm a software developer, so I don't really have to personally worry about it too much. I just also happen to be a human who cares about my race and my people and hopes not to see them snuffed out by a profit-driven and globalist system

Attached: 1534928069395.png (720x408, 60.73K)

Telecommunication switch board operators would be a prefect example to prove the point people can and do adapt over time. They simply changed electronic machinery to digital machinery and most were trained to operate the new machines over the years.

I'm tired of these baseless anecdotes about people adapting and working hard and shit. The fact that society is becoming more competitive is being reflected by the numbers.
This stuff needs to be addressed with policy, before we end up in an utterly dystopian (((neoliberal))) nightmare like wants to live in, where the goyim are left to "just die off".

Switching from one switchboard to another is different than going from welding to programming. And that's picking a trade job that isn't for stupid people and actually benefits greatly from intelligence. For the lower end ones, it will be even worse.

who fucking cares? I may have a strong and sturdy horse that can pull a lot of weight, but no one gives a fuck because a tractor does it 100x better.

If people are replaced it will because the masses ALLOW it to happen. I honesty can't imagine any realistic future where machines replace most productive workers. Yes, they can replace some and when they do these businesses should be boycotted (so they lose money and incentives). But as far as robots being mechanics and builders and electricians and plumbers and lumberjacks and home furnishers I highly doubt it.

If there comes a time you see businesses replacing menial workers (such as waiters/waitresses, strippers at the clubs, cash registers, etc.) THEN we need to boycott those services and make sure they lose their profits from it.

Why boycott a business for giving me better service?

Its going to end up a dystopian liberal nightmare if we accept machines will take over the world and refuse to take advantage of the opportunities we still have. Believe me, if the trade careers are ever rejected en mass, THEN you have real reasons to worry because all those productive businesses would die out from mere rejection (not an actual robot takeover, but over some fallacy of such conspiracy that leads to rejection).

Robots are not the future, and if they are, they will provide nothing for us anyway because consumers won't have jobs to make income to purchase their goods or services or provide taxes needed to subsidize for them!

Just ignore these retards. These are the same people who went apoplectic over muh peak oil, muh population bomb, muh end of the world version X. Just people whose imaginations are much larger than their understanding of history or economics. If it's not robots taking your job, it's something else coming to steal your livelihood in the middle of the night. A general testament to the the existential plight of the bored middle-manager types.

We're rapidly approaching the point where boycotting wouldn't do anything. Just try boycotting Google or Amazon. They have their tentacles in too many sectors of the modern economy. Chances are, you're creating demand for their services without even realizing it: a huge chunk of the web runs on top of AWS or Google Cloud.

It's great that they offer a good service and all, but there are more important things in life than products and services. You ancap jewish apologists are the cancer killing the West.

Attached: 1536496992917.png (949x949, 1.5M)

Let me ask this simple question, lets just say the (((elites))) get their way. OK, 80% of the workforce dies off, and becomes unemployed…. now first off, this would crash the entire economy because of the lack of consumers (consumers are also taxpayers: taxpayers are workers: without work = no income/salary = no taxes provided = no welfare programs being funded = no one able afford anything = all corporations/services completely go bankrupt and bust!) Robots or machines cannot service an entire economy! They don't make money and they are not consumers or taxpayers either! So IF robots or machines take over all the jobs, that means the government can't be funded, that means consumers are GONE, taxpayers are GONE, the corporations lost their entire support structure and they go bust! Its not possible to replace most human workers, even if it was…. where are the consumers, where are the taxes coming from!?

if 80% of the workforce dies off, then it's a much smaller economy, which is much easier to manage, especially with automation. the more robots produce, the less things will cost, and the less money you'll need to buy things. eventually, depending on how automated the economy becomes, you could end up with some form of fully-automated space communism, except humans don't have to work. You just place an order for whatever you want and the robots bring it to you when it's ready.

I'm going to make this very clear for you. Governments rely on taxpayers and corporations rely on consumers. Consumers/taxpayers are what keeps these two magnets in power in the first place. You cannot replace consumers/taxpayers with robots, because the whole system would implode on itself. Once the taxpayers and workers are gone so is the ENTIRE economy!

So then you just change the way your economy works. If the way your production and labor expenditures completely changes, why wouldn't your economy?

Plenty of systems manage to function just fine without a consumer class. Why are corporations doing so damn well right now despite a shrinking middle class and rising inequality? They're NOT as interested in your prosperity as you think you are

Here is the real question, why are you trying so hard to make sure an user doesn't even try to do something with his life? You wasted yours so now you shut on ideas others have.

This techno-communism won't work, like every other form of communism it will FAIL. The delusions of grandeur today is exactly why I recommend people get prepped for the worst.

What systems do that? What countries have done that successfully?

I never told people not to do what they want with their lives. Do what you want with your life. That doesn't mean we have to ignore systemic issues that affect all of us. Why are you trying to hard to get people not to care about how they're being kiked?

Sorry, I don't have any interest in your boomer economics. It's like taking archery lessons from a blind guy.

Seriously, name ONE example such a crazy idea ever worked before. You cannot fund the government without taxes and you cannot have an economy without the consumers. Taxes and consumers are one in the same, without either everything implodes.

Lmao, see what I'm telling you about boomer economics? Dangerously retarded.

How about every third world shit hole with a corrupt elite and no middle class? What makes you think they're incapable of functioning?

Nobody said that. But don't think you've totally escaped the overall kikery of the system just because you bury your head in your trade, and maybe don't take this "fuck you got mine" attitude when others are affected by these things more than you

Being "kike'd" does not imply making an income and maintaining an independent lifestyle. If there is any form of kikery it comes from micromanagement and the destruction of the working class. Which is what this techno-communism promotes!