I really want to become Orthodox but I can't deal with the priests

I can't deal with the fact that many Orthodox priests have big expensive cars, go on holiday to exotic places, etc.

I have talked with people from other Orthodox countries and I don't think this is unique to mine, it is basically the same in most countries.

I also find those priests quite unfriendly and moralistic. For example recently one priest denied the eucharist to a family member but gave it to his wife (I was very shocked because I know the wife of the priest and she is not exactly a Christian role model)

I really want to believe anons but I can't cope with this corruption. How do you deal with it? Is it because OCA is less corrupt by being in the USA? Is it just a sign this church doesn't accept me?

Attached: St. John Chrysostom.jpg (663x800, 613.12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

orthodoxwayoflife.blogspot.com/2009/12/flies-and-bees-advice-from-elder.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

i dunno lad, seems like a specific problem. A lot of us are westerners and our priests are poor af and often have to work a normal Job. If you think Orthodoxy is true just ignore the behavior of individual priests, try and find a good spiritual father if you can.

wait one second

is your family Orthodox?

I actually wonder about this too. Why are Orthodox priests so wealthy?

Not my parents or siblings but some more distant relatives are.

I haven't seen this in our priests, but really if you're convinced of the truth of Orthodoxy it doesn't matter if every priest in the world did this, you would still be obligated to become Orthodox

So you know a lot of priests and you are not Orthodox? Enough priests that you are declaring it a fact? Sounds like more anti-Orthodox bait to me. I thought that spammer left already.

I live in an Orthodox country. Most priest are actually decent, with some of them been literal saints, helping families, raising orphans, living in poverty to give their money to people in need etc, i have witnessed all the above situations. Although i also have observed situations like the ones you describe sometimes. What can i say, some priest are indeed bad.

Father Paisios used to say "a fly can pass through a meadow full of flowers, but it will only stop and sit on the feces"

Basically here are his exact words
orthodoxwayoflife.blogspot.com/2009/12/flies-and-bees-advice-from-elder.html

Because God blesses them more, obviously.

For the month and a half that I began attending a local orthodox church I dressed well, was respectful, and tried to attend as many services as I could.
I had talked with several of the other members of the congregation and a few were nice, recommended some reading and such.

After the month I talked with the priest about me wanting to become catchecumen so I could partake in the eucharist.

He hemmed and hawed a bit telling me, "Welll we aren't really having any classes and maybe we might have a class starting around Thanksgiving, it was the end of May mind you, and he told me to just keep going to the liturgy, etc. All the while he didn't seem thrilled that someone wanted to join.

Okay, I figured. I'll just wait until the fall.

Well that didn't happen as during that following Sunday's liturgy when I brought my mother with me so she could see how beautiful the inside was and experience what it was like multiple people were shit talking aloud about us.

"They'll never really belong."
"Why are they even here."

We left shortly afterwards and never turned back.

We now go to an IFB church where we've practically become family after three weeks.

Not trying to start a denominational fight or say one is better than the other but just my own experience with an orthodox priest/church.

lmao, ok friend.

Collosians 3:9

Wait, what? Bishops, sure, they're corrupt as winnie the pooh often (although I love my bishop, he's a great and humble man). But priests? I haven't met a single priest who wasn't broke and barely holding together.

"Heresy"
"this is okay"

This is your brain on orthodoxy/Catholicism.

Attached: alg-al-gore-forehead-jpg.jpg (1200x630, 55.8K)

Ok then here's my story
Not trying to start a denominational fight here, maybe other IFB churches are different but now whenever i see one i'm having panic attacks and mental breakdowns

Did you ever consider that you could have gone to another parish?
It amazes me whenever a Christian seeking out any denomination goes to a bad parish then writes off the whole denomination.
The few weeds among the wheat is no reason to torch the whole field.

right after we get rid of that pesky apocrypha

this, most certainly, happened

Try going to an Antiochian Orthodox church. They are, supposedly, the most welcoming to newcomers.

Orthodox clergy are allowed to work on top of receiving a clerical stipend. It's also why they have wives and children. Learn to web search.

I think OP was meaning a family member of the priest.

Priesthood is just another job for the orthodox. It doesnt take any special calling.

For Catholics it is literally monasticism and requires 100% devotion to God.

Another d&c shill spotted.

Attached: Yum Yum.jpg (735x490, 75.99K)

This, so much this. Before I left the Methodist church, I went to different churches for about 2 years, trying to see if the problems I noticed were just that individual location. It was only when I returned to my hometown church, 6 years after moving away, that I fully realized that the problems were systemic.
If this happened, which I sincerely doubt (it reads like those posts on Zig Forums where the cops show up and are total bros, offer to shoot each other guns), then you ran away without even giving Orthodoxy a chance. Your loss.

This is absolutely garbage, i live in a western Anglo country and most of the priests are struggling to make ends. You aren't even orthodox, yet you feel obliged to call out all orthodox priests for having luxury cars.

I find it very hard to believe that this happened. Bearing false witness is a sin, you need to repent.

Do you know about other countries other than Anglo countries? You're talking without knowledge yet calling me a liar

What's so weird about that? There are a lot of churches in my country, I talk to people, I know people who volunteer at church, etc. As for the fact. I said 'many', not all, do you deny this is not true? I'd be curious to know what is your country.

Attached: What-Exactly-Is-the-Prosperity-Gospel.jpg (570x428, 212.68K)

No, this is possible. There are some Orthodox Churches that are like a Greek ethnic club. A good test for an Orthodox Church in US is whether they have liturgy in English. But I suppose this doesn't work for the non-Anglo countries.

You scared the poor priest, man! :) Apparently he didn't know how to make classes or didn't want to "waste" too much time. This is what I would to if I were you:
1. Find a godfather; 2. Ask what rules there are in this Church for performing baptism. It is very possible that they do baptism without any classes.

St. Spyridon's?

Pretty sure that's a burger thing. Orthodoxy in general has a lot of wealthy people. Of course there are exceptions, but in general, Orthodox churches in America have a lot of rich people. I think I saw statistics on that but I've since forgotten.

dude you know catchecumens can't partake until they are baptized right?