Canadian Bank Goes Offline, Proving The Dangers of A Cashless Society

BE PREPARED: >>>/prepare/1 | https:// archive.fo/elYwR
https:// web.archive.org/web/20180910185746/https:// 8ch.net/prepare/res/1.html

Yesterday, CIBC reported a “systems issue” that prevented customers from logging in to their accounts online for the entire business day. CIBC, the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce, is one of the five biggest banks in Canada. Yesterday just happened to be the day that people receiving welfare, unemployment benefits, social insurance payments (like American social security), Canada Pension payments, and disability payments landed in the accounts of recipients.

Customers could still use ATMs and Point of Sale features but were unable to log into their accounts to check balances, transfer money, or make online payments. The sentiments of normally patient Canadians online were … tense.

The system was restored around 8 pm last night but that wasn’t soon enough for people who wanted to pay their bills by the due date or make business transactions.

Meanwhile, CIBC wants to move everything online.

Ironically, this online banking catastrophe occurred a day after Victor Dodig, the CEO of CIBC, predicted that nearly all transactions would soon be taking place online.

…almost all transactions will soon be conducted remotely, rather than in person, as customers continue to take more of their business and daily lives online.

“We see continued migration of clients to do transactions remotely,” CIBC CEO Victor Dodig said Wednesday during his bank’s institutional investor conference in Montreal. “You’re seeing 87 per cent of transactions now being done remotely. And we think it’s going to get to 96 per cent over the next four to five years.” (source)

But perhaps this migration has more to do with CIBC closing branches. Physical locations where you can walk in and see a teller are going the way of the Canadian penny. (It’s no longer being made because production costs were 1.6 cents per coin.)

archive.fo/F5gaR

Attached: Canadian Bank Goes Offline, Proving The Dangers of A Cashless Society.jpg (724x329, 64.9K)

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/F5gaR
thecommonsenseshow.com/cibc-a-huge-canadian-bank-was-offline-all-day-proving-again-the-dangers-of-a-cashless-society/
finance.yahoo.com/news/credit-card-data-may-narc-legal-pot-buyers-u-s-border-123246739.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Since before 2000, CIBC has been closing dozens of branches every year. And it isn’t just CIBC that is closing branches in Canada. It’s a trend across all the Big 5 banks and thousands of jobs have been lost.

So the question is, do Canadians actually “prefer” online banking, or do they have no other choice due to physical location closures?

For a long time now, Big Finance has been “nudging” people along toward an end that would benefit them greatly – a cashless society.

If a powerful institution wants to make people choose a certain thing, the best strategy is to make it difficult to choose the alternative.

We can illustrate this with the example of self-checkout tills at supermarkets. The underlying agenda is to replace checkout staff with self-service machines to cut costs. But supermarkets have to convince their customers. They thus initially present self-checkout as a convenient alternative. When some people then use that alternative, the supermarket can cite that as evidence of a change in customer behaviour, which they then use to justify a reduction in checkout employees. This in turn makes it more inconvenient to use the checkout staff, which in turn makes customers more likely to use the machines. They slowly wean you off staff, and “nudge” you towards self-service.

Financial institutions, likewise, are trying to nudge us towards a cashless society and digital banking. The true motive is corporate profit. Payments companies such as Visa and Mastercard want to increase the volume of digital payments services they sell, while banks want to cut costs. The nudge requires two parts. First, they must increase the inconvenience of cash, ATMs and branches. Second, they must vigorously promote the alternative. They seek to make people “learn” that they want digital, and then “choose” it. (source)

It won’t surprise many people to learn that this has links to Marxist philosophy.

The Italian philosopher Antonio Gramsci developed the concept of cultural hegemony out of Karl Marx’s theory that the dominant ideology of society reflects the beliefs and interests of the ruling class. Gramsci argued that consent to the rule of the dominant group is achieved by the spread of ideologies—beliefs, assumptions, and values—through social institutions such as schools, churches, courts, and the media, among others. These institutions do the work of socializing people into the norms, values, and beliefs of the dominant social group. As such, the group that controls these institutions controls the rest of society.

Cultural hegemony is most strongly manifested when those ruled by the dominant group come to believe that the economic and social conditions of their society are natural and inevitable, rather than created by people with a vested interest in particular social, economic, and political orders. (source)

Oh yay. Who doesn’t love being “nudged” along the road to Marxism and a cashless utopia?

A cashless society is a danger to freedom. And this is why we should embrace cold hard cash, precious metals, and the barter system.

archive.fo/F5gaR
thecommonsenseshow.com/cibc-a-huge-canadian-bank-was-offline-all-day-proving-again-the-dangers-of-a-cashless-society/

Nice paranoia you fucking faggot, go get robbed on the streets.

How is this paranoia?

I trust cash, physical assets & basic essentials, guns/ammo, property ownership, silver and gold.

Thats ALL I trust. I do not trust banks. I do not trust institutions. I do not trust other people with anything I own. This is how you avoid being raped up the ass. 101 rape dodger.

Oh, and skills too. Skills are very important too and I tend to forget that as do many other people. Learn skills. Engage in DIY projects!

I don't no where you get your information from; I am a CIBC customer, and there was no disruption in service.
Try to check facts, rather than "I heard"

Apparently it went offline for just a day and people were complaining about it (see tweets). Its back up now.

Hello there, kike.

so this only really affected people who wait till the last minute to pay bills or don't have their bills on auto-pay

wew!

They should extend them a day to pay after an incident like this. Its the bank's fault that their systems crashed, not those who have accounts with them.

Yeah, these tinfoil hat conspiracy theorists need to leave the basement once in a while even if they are virgins.
Cashless is the safest way to go, look at Sweden where almost all transactions of note are done wirelessly, it really helps keep track of your money too. Sweden is an example of how the world will be in the near future, that is assured. Cash won't be the monolithic currency of the past, and cashless will replace it, which is a change that must take place, and banks will be resented for their part in this change.

Are you nuts? Cashless means step by step movement surveillance, mandatory accounts for everyone (which equals the worlds most accurate populace tracking system), forced account subscription, forced credit rating for everyone, the (((banks))) would hold all the power over human life by being able to restrict your access (how do you think the future looks like for people who fell into bad credit ratings?), any form of black market activity would cease to exist, which would be devastating for humanity, situations like selling your shit at the flea-market will be extra taxed, the banks will be contacted when mandatory flu-shoots etc have to be administered, your credit score will be judged, any form of dissidents to the system can be targeted and taken out, which means nobody can ever rebel against the system again, no matter how corrupt the system becomes, and let's not forget that the kike overlords can do whatever the fuck they want.

SHOOT THE PARANOID VIRGIN WEATHERMEN WHO DO THE SAME SHIT PLEASE

Sweden is currently a HELLHOLE where there is no freedom of speech, no right to defend yourself, increasing crime waves everywhere, mosques blasting their prayers using speakers everywhere waking people up by force early in the morning, a shithole country full of corruption, crime and cucks.

In no way do I desire America to turn into a SHITHOLE like Sweden.

AND…. YOU ARE NOT GETTING MY GUNS. FUCKING PERIOD AND FUCK THE LAW TOO.

"banks will be resented for their part in this change"
I see what you did there. 35 keks, user. I'd have given you 40 if you had said "bankers". >escapes out window
But then, what do you need with my 30 keks? >runs down hill
Police! help! This crazy man wants my last 20 keks!

Fuck off Moshe.

See this drill?
I will put it in your child's skull unless you give me
your PIN # to your card

NOW

More money for banks as they charge you for every little transaction

Fucking this! Those that don't take heed you are about to be culled. Take note.

L

actual

Attached: i-think-there-is-a-resurgence-of-anti-semitism-because-at-17444336.png (500x515, 119.99K)

You kikes are going to be resented and what I'll do is simply pull ALL my money out (I've been doing that already for a while btw) and stocking up on essentials and getting ready to become more self-sufficient from the system. I will not take the mark of the beast. I will not use a "smart" AKA SPY gadget to conduct fiscal transactions either. If communities go to bartering then we will. Fuck your cashless commie agenda. Its all about controlling us and I'm not playing that game.

bump

Attached: who is behind this post.jpg (685x1024, 202.44K)

anti- sl id e

actual news

THIS.

again1

finance.yahoo.com/news/credit-card-data-may-narc-legal-pot-buyers-u-s-border-123246739.html

Swiping a credit card for recreational cannabis will be a first for many Canadians next week. But paying for that inaugural lawful drug deal with plastic could risk consequences at the United States border.

The privacy agreements of the big five banks, as well as Visa, Mastercard, and American Express make no guarantees that financial data will remain in Canada, beyond the reach of U.S. authorities eager to enforce federal anti-pot laws.

Emily Gilbert, a University of Toronto professor and Canada-U.S. border expert, expects U.S. officials to expand their use of data beyond individual laptops and mobile devices as part of a cannabis crackdown once legalization takes hold in Canada on Oct. 17.

“I would fully anticipate, especially if this becomes more of a tense issue between Canada and the U.S., that we will see data collection having a much deeper kind of implication for people where there are cases built up against you,” she told Yahoo Canada Finance.

“Searching of data far beyond the border is starting to happen. But I haven’t yet heard of them building profiles against people before they actually arrive at the border to exclude them.”

U.S. law allows border officials to slap a lifetime ban on Canadians found to have consumed marijuana, even once it’s legal here.

Less than a week before legalization, much remains to be seen about how the digital footprints from buying recreational cannabis could come back to haunt those who indulge.

Several provincially-run retailers, and e-commerce partners like Shopify Inc. (SHOP.TO), have promised to keep purchase data on servers in Canada. How payments will materialize on bank records will depend on where the purchase is made.

Mastercard affirmed its commitment to cardholder privacy in a statement to Yahoo Canada Finance, explaining that data collected from transactions is limited to card numbers, locations, dates, the amount spent and merchant names.

Visa and American Express did not respond to questions about transaction data in time for the publication of this story.

The collection of merchant names could pose a problem for cardholders shopping at retailers whose name identifies them as a seller of cannabis.

Nick Pateras, vice president of growth and international strategy at the cannabis data firm Lift & Co., said illegal dispensaries that accept non-cash payments have often resorted to tongue-in-cheek names to mask how their business appears to their customers’ banks.

“A lot of them are like ‘Flower Centre’ or ‘Bouquet Shop,’ that kind of thing,” he said. “The biggest concern from a consumer standpoint is whether or not it says the word ‘cannabis’ or ‘marijuana’ on the credit card bill.”

Some provincially-run retailers who also handle alcohol sales are simply using their agency names. Bank records won’t show if the customer bought booze or bud.

Pot purchased from Alberta Gaming, Liquor & Cannabis will show up on credit card statements as “AGLC,” according to a spokesperson.

The Nova Scotia Liquor Corporation said marijuana purchases will show up as “NSLC,” plus the name of the store location. NSLC spokesperson Beverley Ware said differentiating cannabis purchases would only be possible at the one cannabis-only brick-and-mortar store in the province.

British Columbia’s Liquor Distribution Branch told Yahoo Canada Finance that it has requested that credit card companies “display transactional information on cardholder’s statements in a manner that is considerate of the sensitivities related to purchasing cannabis.”

“However, these fields are ultimately completed by credit card companies in their systems during their merchant setup process,” the agency said in an email.

New Brunswick Liquor Corporation told Yahoo Canada Finance that it has yet to decide on a name to appear on customer banking statements, but it has ruled out Cannabis NB, the name of the provincial crown corporation cannabis subsidiary.

“We are aware that credit card data is stored in the United States, and therefore we would not want to contribute to that data,” said New Brunswick Liquor Corporation spokesperson Mark Barbour.

The Ontario Cannabis Store, the online-only retailer set to serve Canada’s largest province by itself until sales are privatized in April 2019, has not responded to questions about non-cash transactions.

BEWARE AND PREPARE! THEY WANT A CASHLESS GRID SO THEY CAN CONTROL YOU! SO THEY CAN CUT YOU OFF ANYTIME YOU DON'T CONFORM OR OBEY TO THEIR LEFTIST HELLHOLE STANDARDS!

anti-slide

stop sliding the news faggot

anti-slide

anti-slide

anti-slide

*proving the possibilities of a cashless society
Ftfy, turning money off or on at will is key to controlling us. Be ready with utilities and goods for the future when they launch this.

After money is digitalised, you'll get rations of food cupons and a small allowance of money for whatever needs you have. Saving for the future and trying to build a life that does not involve being on their leash, living paycheck to paycheck will be made incredibly hard.

Attached: 1525604403289.jpg (748x748, 68.9K)

I really want someone like you on my side in the happening. Godspeed user, I'm sure you will do great when the time comes.

I'm Swedish and take out all my money that is not going into stocks in cash just to attempt to slow this awful development.

BEWARE AND PREPARE! THEY WANT A CASHLESS GRID SO THEY CAN CONTROL YOU! SO THEY CAN CUT YOU OFF ANYTIME YOU DON'T CONFORM OR OBEY TO THEIR LEFTIST HELLHOLE STANDARDS!