Orthodox - Protestant friendship thread

I'm an Ortho and i am sympathetic to protestants. I like how dedicated they are in Christ, and even though i find some protestant caricatures disturbing (like the gay marriage stuff) i believe that this is not representative for all of them. I also belive they had all the right reasons to chimp out against Catholicism and that they only had good intentions.
Catholics always try to confuse people that we orthos are the same as them just without the p*pe but i believe that we are actually more close with prots.
I was born Orthodox and i've never meet a prot IRL. I just have respect for the first reformers i believe that our protestant brothers have being treated very unfairly on this board so i wanyed to show some love to them.

Attached: leaders-825x510.jpg (825x510, 91K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vQRmCy6LfjI
youtube.com/watch?v=3UdZVpBxdVA
blogs.ancientfaith.com/orthodoxyandheterodoxy/2017/10/03/lutherans-greek-church/
christianitytoday.com/history/2008/august/what-did-reformers-think-about-eastern-orthodox-church.html
nationalvanguard.org/2012/05/the-silent-coup-putin-vs-the-oligarchs/
newsweek.com/putin-says-communism-comes-bible-compares-lenin-saint-781328
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Prots and Orthodox all believe that schism and divorce is acceptable, it makes sense I guess

Should we have an interdenominational debate general and concentrate all the shitflinging there? This is getting worse than consolewars on /v/.

At least we don't harbor pedophiles

This isn't a debate thread, it's a friendship thread but some well mannered debate is acceptable

meant for (((you)))

The Protestants believe in the heresy of the filioque (except for the Old Catholics). This already makes them semi-Christian at best.
Add to this their heresy of monergism, rejection of intercession of the saints, rejection of tradition, Judaizing among the Seventh-Day Adventists, and an absolute lack of any notion of sacramentality among most Evangelicals, and you get a really bad package.
Catholics are heretics and schismatics but at least they believe they follow the tradition passed on since the apostles. Protestants proudly claim that they have done away with tradition and rely on the Bible and on philosophy alone. Catholics are a branch that was cut off from the Church and withered, but Protestants are a parallel tree set up because the first one wasn't pretty enough for them.

Sorry, I know this isn't a debate or polemical thread. My point was: we're as close to Protestants as we are to Catholics, which means we are extremely far apart from both of them.

They had their reasons to develop that theology though. Do not judge them with today standards.

I believe it was Luther who said that the main reason he fought against the Roman Church was because of the doctrine of synergism which he bellieved was heretical. But synergism is orthodox while monergism is heretical, so the Reformers were wrong from the beginnig.
In the process they threw aside the heresies of papal supremacy and Purgatory, which is good, but they also threw aside a good deal of genuinely orthodox doctrines, out of their schismatic pride.
And again, they have kept the most blasphemous error the Catholics have done - the procession of the Holy Spirit from the Son.

Kierkgegaard
Bohme
Andrew Murray
George MacDonald
Have impacted me a lot and showed me that protestantism, in rare cases, isn't so terrible.

I would never be protestant or go to their churches though

Attached: liberal.jpg (1020x1024, 72.63K)

I've gone to about a dozen Protestant churches.
It was always either:
or

No, he went against synergism as a way to fight the Catholic doctrine that you can pay your way to heaven because the pope can sell the merits of Christ and the Saints. Luther was so outraged about this so, based on Paul's epistole to Roman he came to the conclusion that only God can save us and not the pope, which is also what Orthodox believe btw.

He confused the heresy of Purgatory (and indulgences) with the apostolic doctrine of synergism, and rejected both at once. If synergism were heretical, we Orthodox would be heretical.
Stop defending those who try to destroy the robe of Christ, please. Lutheranism was strictly condemned by the Ecumenical Patriarch soon after dialogue began in the Reformation era, and Calvinism is such a bad thing that we held a council ourselves to anathematize it and cleanse St Cyril Lukaris of the accusations of Calvinism.

Protestant services are like that because they don't believe in or even understand the eucharist, they've forgotten the reason for church and treat it as a concert/bible study. Pray for them prods, many are good people that want to know the truth but are deceived

Yes, maybe he threw the baby out with the bath water but consider this, he was born and raised Catholic, he actually believed in Christ and he just couldn't cope some outrageous theologies of his time. Also consider that this was the 16th century. He lived in that enviroment and he tried to do the best with what he had.
Also this thread is not about Luther alone neither about the reformation but rather about Protestants as people.

Have all protbros abandon this board already?
:(

He had access to Orthodoxy, but disregarded it (although he seemingly was inspired by an Ethiopian Tewahedo traveler's account of his religion). His followers actually tried to establish communion with Orthodoxy but that's when they found out it was much closer to "Papism" than they imagined.

youtube.com/watch?v=vQRmCy6LfjI

For what i know, it was the Orthodox patriarch who rejected them and mostly because they had problems of their own at the time (being under Ottoman slavery) and that's a damn shame. But i hope we'll have another chance in the future, the orthoprot meme exists for a reason kek.

Most protestant churches I've attended hold communion once a month. They say it's to not do it every service such that it loses meaning, though I disagree. Baptism and Eucharist are the main sacraments still in practice so it's not like it isn't there, aside from other stuff like dedication and marriage of course.

Yeah but they don't believe it's anything other than a symbolic gesture. I was at a Presbyterian church ages ago, and the pastor stressed how communion isn't literally the body and blood of Jesus Christ

Nope

t. Methodist

I dont speak for them all but yes we generally don't believe in transubstantiation. Just because it is a symbolic gesture doesn't mean it loses meaning. It is a public affirmation that we accept Jesus as Lord and Savior and that by partaking in communion we remember him until his return.

Disputing over whether the grape juice becomes real blood or bread becomes meat seems like a pedantic argument.

Christians have never believed in symbolic communion until the 1600s

Christian theology has grown and changed since its inception. It hasn't been static nor do I find anything particularly heretical about denying transubstantiation.

When Jesus broke the bread and said "This is my body", what part of His body? Perhaps it's less to do with the technical and more to do with the meaning.

The mods here have a habit of deleting any Protestant related discussion, even if it's not attacking Catholicism or Orthodoxy.
Everyone here (prot and non-prot) has a bad habit of immediately hammering the most divisive differences between us instead of trying to find any kind of fellowship and fighting the world instead of each other.

Are you really serious or simply baiting Catholics?
As far as I dont like Catholic innovations and additions to faith, saying that Protestantism is closer is extremely biased and blatantly wrong.

This line of thinking of western Christianity is one of the main subjects that Orthodoxy disputes.

Yeah i know that prots are treated very bad here that's one of the reasons i made this thread.

I didn't say protestantism but the protestants as people. Yeah i feel more related to them as Christians even though i disagree with their theology. I believe in their good intentions.

Can someone redpill me on Fear and Trembling?
I own a copy of that book but haven't read it yet, but I remember on that book list of Catholic, Orthodox, and Protestant readings that book was included on the Orthodox and Protestant Venn diagram

I would like to know too. Thanks for the book suggestion anyway.

I decided to go find this book list so people know what I'm talking about
Also, I feel it could be expanded quite a bit

Attached: christian-denom.jpg (3000x2900, 1.68M)

Attached: RoH7XxGnTG.jpg (400x400, 97.11K)

Will keep that in mind. Nice statue by the way.

Attached: 9180774-3x4-340x453.jpg (340x453, 33.45K)

see

Have you ever been to a Lutheran mass? In some ways it's more traditional than the Catholic Novus Ordo. For example, the priest prays facing the altar.

Kek. There was never faggots and pedos on the orthodox Church. Sure I'll believe it.

Orthodox here and I agree completely. The goal of Orthodoxy and Protestantism is salvation, whereas of Catholicism it is worldly power.
I even read somewhere that Martin Luther considered becoming Orthodox and had a correspondence with some Greek priests, but was cut short due to some unfortunate circumstances.
What a different world we would have today if Northwestern Europe become Orthodox.

Funny thing the orthodoxes in this board used copy pasted arguments from American protestants.
Very odd indeed.

Funny thing how Catholics on this board accuse Orthodoxes of being Protestants and Protestants of being Orthodoxes instead of responding to the presented arguments.

Attached: So_called_Saint_Mother_Teresas_confession.png (638x327, 55.1K)

We don't provide them with shelter and we kick out, not promote, if someone is found out doing something like this.
And of course the incidents are far less fewer than Catholicism and isolated, not organised.
Anyway i said this only as an answer to buthurt caths who swarm the thread, i don't want to discuss catholic priest pedophilia again.

I think not luther himself but some of his affiliates. They tried to approach us but we didn't pay them too much attention because we had problems of our own.

What argument? The world power that you think the church wants? Only an ignorant wouldnt know that the church believes she's the way to salvation like orthodoxes and protestants believe. Why should I answer such a stupid thing?

That's what happens when you have 1.2 billion faithful. The shit gets multiplied of course and where there is many devil's they tend to united themselves against God.
But judging something of the character of the people besides being an ad hominem argument is nonsensical. For exemples even Judas an Apostle was a traitor, why sometimes people are surprised about these pedos inside the church?
Now if the Church supported pedoshit in their doctrine I would understand your complain. Otherwise is just shitting on other people.

Ignore typos. winnie the pooh phone.

tbh I liked threads about us and Catholics uniting to banter with Protestants while they would cry and call us corpse kissing vampires more than this
In fact, I thought that being called a vampire was cool

Attached: KPgRaqe.png (656x755, 38.81K)

Well although Orthodoxy preserves many ancient traditions and beliefs, my point is that it too wasn't complete on any particular day or event and was gradually improved and changed. I don't know if you guys take after say Augustine or Aquinas but you obviously have your patriarchs and such who contributed to what is generally canonical Orthodoxy.

Catholic bro here, I still love you Eastern anons anyways

youtube.com/watch?v=3UdZVpBxdVA

Attached: lefebvre_pius_xii.jpg (1709x1025, 448.88K)

Attached: paolo-VI.jpg (1309x1600, 183.05K)

Then I am afraid you do not know your own theology. In addition to not knowing anything about catholicism and protestantism
Either that or you're baiting here. Prots and Orthos have one thing in common : they dislike the Pope and mostly they tend to dislike catholics. However to claim they're close as far as theology is concerned, closer than O. and C. is stupid.
Refer to:Saints, sacraments, transubstiation,

I am no expert on "filioque" but so far I have read that this "heresy" was created by using "procedit" in latin translation of the creed in a response to aryan heresy, quoting the exact quote from Bible. While in Greek the word used - do not remember the word - is the verb that describes the only origin. It is literally "to originate" whereas in latin the word means proceed. Thus the word does not describe the only origin of the Holy Spirit - which is believed by catholics to be God, but it means literally to proceed, not to originate. Catholics believe that the Holy spirit originates ONLY from god, but can be passed through the Son. As far as I know even your Eastern church fathers acknowledge this. But I do come across Orthos that try to claim things as "Catholics believe Holy spirit originates from both Son and the Father" or "Filioque is a heresy used to justify created grace".. Guess what. the only time I heard "created grace" or something of the sort was from Orthos. I seriously have no idea what you guys meant by it because I have not come across any catholic priest that would claim that somebody in the church creates grace by himself.
As far as I have studied the matter - not for very long though - I have come to understanding that the "filioque" is the same thing worded differently but it may sound weird if you know greek and do not know latin - I highly doubt this is the case with most Orthodoxes, since they certainly do not know the creed in all languages - their native, greek and latin.
opinion discarded. Yeah sure the church does not care about salvation.
It shows how much you know about the Catholic church besides "muh latins" arguments.
Pathetic tbh.

Funny how you do not present any arguments at all, just making claims without backing them up by arguments.
As I have said earlier. Pathetic.

Yeah sure. Luther was very orthodox indeed - in spirit. That's why the Protestant church stands united with strong hierarchy right. Oh wait.
But they do acknowledge the saints….Oh no.
Well at least they have the same view on Theotokos. Well not that exactly.
But I heard they think eucharist is literally the body of christ. Oh not again.
But other than that…yeah. very Orthodox indeed. Maybe if you meme it enough you will come to believe it.

This is the case when you do not get any answer. When called out on his non-argument, Orthodox tends to leave the debate.
Either that or he repeats "muh latins" and then leaves.

I am a Lutheran from Norway with some Russian Orthodox background, and here are my two cents.
Your comment is semi-true, especially here in the South of Norway. Church here is decadent, allowing faggotry,divorce etc. (things I personally consider heresy tbh), and the services only last for one hour or so. Most of the Church attendants are old people, and although I have met some young people who will try making our Church great again, I really doubt it will happen unless God intervenes via a miracle. I am currently studying theology, and when I'm done I'm going straight to the northern Norway where there are some ultra-conservative Christians (Læstadians) who don't accept abortion,divorce, women prieshood, faggot marriage etc.(some groups even have confessions, where you have to confess your sins to a pastor) I truly believe that they're our last hope here, pray for Christianity in Norway, even if you consider it a heresy.

As for Catholics in your country there's less than 5% and orthos don't even exist. Only the state controlled church.
But cheer up. Its the most Christian country in Scandinavia.
I do consider protestantism an heresy, but better a decent prot than a gay one.
Still praying you guys will join the church.
Good luck lad.

My problem is not so much the actions by their own but the fact that people, together with the Pope, are covering up the sick priests.

please delet

Muh dude i never said that we are the same theologically with them. I just think that we are more related as people.

While I would slightly agree about worldly power part somewhat, you do realize that basically only two major denominations according to whom soterology is not about going to clouds with fluffy winged angels and being sentenced to eternity of choir singing but about deep concept of "become gods for God's sake, since God became man for our sake" as Gregory of Nazianzus would say, aka Divinization/Theosis are Orthodox and Catholics?
I do not agree with numerous parts of Catholicism, be it its Juridical nature or other, your statement is extremely biased and unreasonable.

*but your statement…

Btw here's an article about the dialog between the early prots and orthos
blogs.ancientfaith.com/orthodoxyandheterodoxy/2017/10/03/lutherans-greek-church/

There's also this but it has a paywall. If anyone here has a pass please share
christianitytoday.com/history/2008/august/what-did-reformers-think-about-eastern-orthodox-church.html

GARANTEED REPLIES

You mean being heretic and schismatic? You are right.

noice meme, saved

Tell us a little about how he influenced you

Nice Statue

Attached: Screen-Shot-2017-11-22-at-6.46.06-AM.png (734x769, 234.15K)

Attached: 6e1e1441f76feb77d73d55333b1076f236162645d8e739a5e0603d4c11af4719.webm (500x492 698.25 KB, 248.77K)

The Archbishop of CYPRUS, 1923

The Archbishop of Cyprus wrote to the Patriarch of Constantinople in the name of his Synod on March 20, 1923, as follows: To His All-Holiness the Oecumenical Patriarch Mgr. Meletios we send brotherly greeting in Christ. Your Holiness – Responding readily to the suggestion made in your reverend Holiness' letter of August 8, 1922, that the autocephalous Church of Cyprus under our presidency should give its opinion as to the validity of Anglican Orders we have placed the matter before the Holy Synod in formal session.

After full consideration thereof it has reached the following conclusion: It being understood that the Apostolic Succession in the Anglican Church by the Sacrament of Order was not broken at the Consecration of the first Archbishop of this Church, Matthew Parker, and the visible signs being present in Orders among the Anglicans by which the grace of the Holy Spirit is supplied, which enables the ordinand for the functions of his particular order, there is no obstacle to the recognition by the Orthodox Church of the validity of Anglican Ordinations in the same way that the validity of the ordinations of the Roman, Old Catholic, and Armenian Church are recognized by her.

Since clerics coming from these Churches into the bosom of the Orthodox Church are received without reordination we express our judgment that this should also hold in the case of Anglicans – excluding intercommunio (sacramental union), by which one might receive the sacraments indiscriminately at the hands of an Anglican, even one holding the Orthodox dogma, until the dogmatic unity of the two Churches, Orthodox and Anglican, is attained. Submitting this opinion of our Church to Your All-Holiness, we remain, Affectionately, the least of your brethren in Christ,

Cyril of Cyprus

Archbishopric of Cyprus. March 7/20, 1923 Published in The Christian East, vol. IV, 1923, pp. 122-123.

Pentecostal checking in.

For me Catholicism is the world and I can't help myself to see it otherwise. I tried for the sake of Christ and unity, I really really did, but my contempt and hatred just won't let up. The opposite is the case: The more I learn about Catholics, the more I hate and despise them. From the Fourth Crusade up to now, every day it gets worse, until, I pray for the day when they are no more.

Are you a masochist?

I think premillennialism and Lutheranism are the big no-nos here. Threads questioning salvific baptism, praying to saints, hierarchy, half the sacraments, so-called works salvation etc. are still around.

Only within the confines of marriage, user.

This bishop is very mistaken. We have never recognized Catholic, Old Catholic, or Armenian ordinations or overall sacraments.

Then why aren't they reordained if they convert?

Ah yes, Bishop is wrong but random user on Zig Forums isnt.

Don't worry, they're just banned

They are. Any non-Orthodox clergymen must be baptized and ordained in the Orthodox Church, although most Orthodox in the West do not baptize out of economy, to prevent scandal (the grace of the Eucharist makes up for it anyway). And, by economy also, someone who was a clergyman in a heterodox sect can be ordained more quickly to the equivalent rank in the Church if the bishops figure out he already has the skills and knowledge necessary, but this does not always happen (I've heard of an Eastern Catholic priest who was received into Orthodoxy as a layman and whose qualifications from seminary were not recognised so he ended up never becoming a major order).

You know the majority of Protestants can't even agree on which councils are valid, don't believe in apostolic succession, don't believe in the majority of sacraments which is to mean they don't believe they have any real efficacy (this includes disbelief in the efficacy of holy orders in both churches and in your liturgy) nor do they believe Christ is actually present in any of them or if he is it is despite the sacrament, they don't believe in the teaching authority of a church in the way it would be interpreted by Orthodox/Catholic including the rejection of Church Fathers in many cases, they reject numerous books from the Bible far more than the differences in Cath/Ortho canons, and don't even believe in concepts like sainthood, holy relics, them praying for us, they reject works and believe in faith alone.
I know a lot of you people hate us "pedo papists" but please be reasonable, we have more in common whether you like to admit it or not.

Attached: 1537334970237.jpg (686x718, 66.83K)

Theologically we are of course more close with Catholics. But Protestants emerged as an opposition to Catholic abuses so we are closer with them in that matter. I love both Catholics and Protestants but many Orthodox people are afraid of Catholicism because of historical reasons and because they are always trying to sunvert us. Personally i never blame the lay people but i hate the institution, the Vatican, the Papacy etc.

You do realise they consider you a pagan, right?

Attached: 7fe368516ec52754a20b3b0fcba0a79c71d95fe08135458c7940635a0251c78c.jpg (540x495, 22.04K)

Lmao, pass the weed bro.

I'm not obliged to like only whoever likes me. I like protties for the reasons i stated and maybe some won't like me, but maybe some other will. Also i only like the serious protties as i said and not the caricatures (i'm OP btw)

Protestantism is multifaceted. There are some Protestant communities becoming Orthodox.

Always felt the same way as a coC guy. Whenever I see someone's orthodox I feel some respect for them, but catholics I just think of as fags, even though it does seem like you guys have almost the same beliefs. As in, I actually think of you guys as Christian and Catholics as paganists. Thought it was just because orthodox countries are generally more socially traditional than Catholics or something or less obnoxious, maybe there's more to it. My biggest problems with the Catholics are also stuff you guys don't have, like pope and purgatory stuff. Also Putin is fighting the Jews and protecting Christians in the middle east so it seems like you guys are on the right side geopolitically. Catholics on the other hand I see as with satan in the end times.

Then they will be Orthodox. You can't be a orthoprot. Wtf?

Please don't convert, you'd be the typical Ortholarper

Attached: c14923d39464d8302d957583e73e43cc5d83fc21c5dbf25ca029b65c430031b6.png (1000x1000, 957.77K)

He still thinks there are good goys, bad goys.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-09-24-12-36-14.png (800x1067 26.34 KB, 118.56K)

I honestly thought about visiting an orthodox parish but the closest one is kinda far and I don't agree with the views on holy tradition or saints. I do respect them as Christians since we (coC) and orthodox claim to be as close as possible to the 1st century Church.

Putin absolutely steamed the Jews by kicking out the oligarchs and owning Israel recently in Syria and in Ukraine. If everyone was a part of the Jewish plan they wouldn't have lost in Syria.
nationalvanguard.org/2012/05/the-silent-coup-putin-vs-the-oligarchs/

Attached: 1537563344996.jpg (640x887, 208.65K)

(I am did not say Trump was the based one. Pro tip: there are no based leaders. Trust God an not politicians.)

Russia rises from her knees

Even if Russia has her own interests, they are directly against Israel and Russia chooses her own interests. America goes against her own interests in favor of Israel.

From Ukraine with love.

Attached: orig.jpg (1060x523, 125.57K)

Just curious, how old are you?

Unfortunately Ukraine has been the target of the CIA and thus Jewish interests since euromaidan. I hope the church has not been too badly effected by their propaganda in western Ukraine. There is lots of western modernist influence since the criminal nazi Poroshenko was chosen.

Lol. Read your news better. Putin has a lot of jews as political advisors. He just ensures his country has oil. He is not against the jews.
The Romanian church condemns the anexation of Crimea. (I think the Greeks did as well)
Kirill is ex-KGB agent (aka commie)

You've been seeing too much Zig Forums sh*tposts.

Israel still exists.

They also said Ben Shapiro is literally Hitler.

I'll believe you but if you have time provide also a link.

(Final thought: Trust God and no politician)

They fought Israeli interests in Syria, they have no interest in destroying Israel itself, although indirectly they've helped that by helping Hezbollah.

No they don't, they never talk about Ben Shapiro. He's a nobody.

Mikhail Khodorkovsky. He also supposedly banned the Rothschilds from Russia.

This is George MacDonald
Say something nice about him

Attached: George_MacDonald_1860s.jpg (469x712, 187.77K)

Do not want to insult you but you have had too much meme soup for dinner and your stomach hurts.
If you really want to convert, justify it by studying theology first, not by consuming memes. I suppose you are serious about the faith, not just meme larper.
As for "le based Putin":
newsweek.com/putin-says-communism-comes-bible-compares-lenin-saint-781328
BASTE!
Pro-tip: It wasn't Christians who came up with bolshevism but you probably know it.

This meme is real. As someone being in touch with Orthodox content I can second this.
I don't have anything against Orthodox Christians. But meme larpers are a joke. You can find Ortholarper quickly. In the second sentence he will mention "le based Putin" and how conservative Orthodox countries are today. That proves Orthodoxy MUST be correct. It's not like the difference is 100years of communism vs long reign of Capitalism in west.