Pro family themes

Intentionally or not. Why is horror full of pro-Christian themes? Hell Slasher movies tend to bring up hell and heaven being real and portray sexual immorality in a negative light.

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeathBySex
tektonics.org/af/ancientmores.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Perhaps it's because things like slasher films come from the great cinematic tradition of horror in America. The Universal movies and other old horror films like Dracula were very conservative. Terrence Fisher was a conservative Christian who consistently had themes of rationalist Christians defeating impulsive evil whilst the superstitious peasants and naturalist rationalists are powerless.

"Dracula Has Risen from the Grave" is a fantastic film for this reason, because it makes the great decision of having the protagonist be an atheist. It creates interesting conflict, and a really satisfying ending. It's also noteworthy that Terrence Fisher, despite his noted traits, made what were at the same extremely scandalous films, with blood and sex galore, though appropriately portrayed negatively.

This makes sense. Freddy Krueger has a weakness to holy water. But the teenager always overlook it.

I've never seen a pozzed horror movie that was successfully at being scary. Bunch of reasons why. What scares the modern leftist? Are the people having panic attacks over pronouns going to fictionally depict a scenario where these things horrify normal people? Heck no. So you have to revert to more primitive emotions… Very problematic territory.

What do you do with ghosts, if you think only troglodytes believe in life after death? No ghosts. What about murderers? Well, how scary can you made your evil bad guy if you're obligated to show a disenfranchised underdog whoop his ass?

Moreover, fear brings out survival instincts in people, even in movies. People aren't wired to seek out frivolous dopamine highs when the adrenaline is pumping; r/K theory and all that. They care less about woke BS if they want to have the crap scared out of them. And yeah, some of the best overly religious mainstream movies of the last half century took advantage of this; Exorcist, Conjuring 2, etc.

I'm curious about whether or not people will find a remake of Halloween scary, though. So much of the frights in the original come from being alert to your surroundings and noticing something real subtle is wrong…. Lol I wonder if people can still do that.

It's funny that horror (((comedies))) usually subvert all that. Zombie movies are the worst; I always saw those as the perfect deptiction of how a progressive sees the rest of us:

cry the beloved country

Reminds me how The walking dead is one best examples of leftists propaganda backfiring when it comes to anti-prepping and gun control.

It's a well-known trope in horror movies that the slut or couple having sex dies first, while often the virgin or 'good girl' is the final survivor who doesn't die, or at least has an ambiguous ending.
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DeathBySex
So even when trying to shock people these values were so ingrained in society that they couldn't help but show up. Although now media is fixated on 'subverting' traditional structures, so we sometimes see the opposite. For example in Stranger Things season 1 Barb eschews sex and alcohol and is the only one to die.

Some have referred to this sort of tendency as demolitionism; see pics.
We see this subversion of traditional structure in all media now. For example in the cartoon Adventure Time which recently concluded, instead of the hero getting the princess, the princess ends up with another girl. The hero may or may not end up with a consolation prize girl, the monster gets sung to death instead of defeated by the hero, etc.

Although Jordan Peterson has mixed reception here, what he talks about relates to this. Contrasting the old Disney cartoons which follow archetypes to Frozen's 'I don't need no man' propaganda. Even in the new Wreck It Ralph we see all Disney princesses complaining together about how people think all their problems disappeared because of a man. 'Happily ever after' is wrongthink now.

Attached: 1537197837184.png (957x769 338.27 KB, 106.23K)

Thank you for this. I feel much more validated in my decision to drop this trash. It started out so good: as a fun, innocent, surreal fantasy cartoon, that even started to develop in more interesting adultish directions. Then as it went on, it started going off the rails and going deeper and deeper up it's own behind in terms of pretentious pseudo-intellectualism. I hate to admit it, but I tried to plug my ears and shout "LA LA LA! I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" at the obvious hints of Princess Bubblegum and Marceline's lesbianism. But the point where I finally just threw the table over on this show was the episode about Treetrunks, the pig guy, and the alien, which literally promoted cuckolding and polyamory.

Attached: FlippingTable.jpg (510x800, 174.45K)

Funny how cucktoons rips off anime in name of making a reference. Yet anime never directly rip off scenes from anime.

There's something really cringey and cowardly about most western fan-centric media in the last twenty years. It's hard to define exactly. It's very different from the way things were before the 90s, even if you limit your view to the disdain for Christianity.
Almost like a carrot and stick analogy. Pre 90s, hedonism is big fun, Christians are stuffy geeks to be pitied for missing out on the party. Post 90s, its more like, what's your problem with hedonism you jerk, and Christians are creepy weirdos you can't trust.

And in Dream Warriors, Freddy's mother is revealed to have been a nun, and guides the characters in defeating him as a ghost. The Nightmare on Elm Street movies are actually full of Christian themes, despite how raunchy they are. "Grab your crucifix" is a part of Freddy's theme.

In Friday the 13th Part 6, a little girl prays while Jason gets closer and closer to her in her bed (a counselor advised her to do this earlier in the film) and he ends up leaving her alone because he heard a noise. It's actually retconned in a later movie that Jason doesn't kill kids, but still, it's a thing. The Friday the 13th films definitely weren't Christian movies at all, but I always appreciate positive references to Christianity in these movies. It's crazy how exploitative stuff like Friday the 13th is more appealing to me as a Christian now in light of modern pop culture's disgusting view of religion

Attached: 421521521521521.jpg (583x325, 25.04K)

I also like how nightmare on elm street doesn’t play crosses are magic. You still need faith to use a Crucifix to fight off Freddy Krueger.

Horror movies never truly promoted hendonism as being cool until the overrated scream movies came out. Before the awful alien prequels. The alien series had a lot of positive Christian themes and symbolism.

Pro life themes in predator 2 will never happen now.

The ultimate horror is the possibility (not for us, but for others it is just a possibility) that there is a supernatural force of good and evil out there, at war over the souls of men. Also the realization that your worldly existence can take you towards damnation, or at least put you in danger even under apparently normal circumstances.

This is why films like "The Exorcist" constantly rate highly on top horror film lists. And that's a very, VERY watered down treatment of the real deal. But then you can't really expect to capture true supernatural evil on a mass market Hollywood production.

It was a sci-fi film and not that great, but in "The Island" the villain was an organ harvester who took body parts from clones of famous people. At the end of the film it was strongly inferred he basically felt he was these clones father, and had every right to "abort" them. Basically a wonton disregard for life. Made him vaguely memorable in an unremarkable production, didn't hurt Sean Bean played him.

This is correct. It's gone from, "Hey, let's just have fun and stuff it to the sticks in the mud", to "Fun? What's that? Let me tell you about my special agenda".

Consider that Xenomorphs are really just animals (barring post-Alien 3 releases). They can't distinguish right and wrong, just positive and negative (for them). Human women do not have this excuse in this matter of infanticide. Of course you don't want Xenos anywhere near you, just like you wouldn't want angry hornets near you. They are big stinging insects.

I stopped watching once i found out princess bubble gum was smart, i knew it was going to go in that direction.

bump

Satan picks the easy targets first. It's why the final girl is usually a goody-two shoes and a virgin (Strode, Nancy, etc.,)

What was wrong with the Lich arc?

No, it isn't. "A woman is a prize to be won" is wrongthink, and rightfully so. A woman is not a prize to be won.

I think it's implied that the Lich arc was never properly resolved. I'm not sure myself since I stopped watching after the Treetrunks cuck episode.

*Watches video* UGGGGGARRRRGGGH! I forgot about that! Why didn't I get the hint then?!?!?

Maybe so; but 9 times out of 10, whenever Marxists/Liberals whine about "muh woman not prize to be wun", it's code speak for "Women should be rad fem womnyn, smashing the patriarchy and don't need no man, my body my choice, sleep around with whoever they want and act agendered." Which is precisely what is being pushed in Marxist media like Adventure Time.

True, had to stop watching it as the episodes started leaving me with a feeling of uneasiness. When before it was about two bros exploring the world and saving the day then suddenly you get episodes where the hero gets date raped by the cloud princess and all kinds of trash. It was the hand of the propagandist at work.

They are in a way though, the man achieves greatness by facing perils of the unknown and the reward is female attention, its a fabric of human behavior. The opposite case is a man that forever stays under his mothers skirts and is thus shunned by women.
All the myths and tales tell us this and its also corroborated by scientific studies on the response of women to the status of males.
The feminist inversion of this is a disaster because women have no benefit in participating in the hero's journey because nature itself grants them desirability when they get the period. There was an episode of a series on myths by Joseph Campbell where they showed an african village where the boys had to undergo a harsh test to attain manhood, putting their hands on a fire ant nest or something, and the woman just had to get her period and go to a hut for a week, then she emerged as a woman.

Attached: https _i.ytimg.com_vi_q4H2Sli0ppA_maxresdefault.jpg (693x390, 66.01K)

There's also a Christian element to that as well: the woman will crush the head of the snake! And these final girls frequently deliver the killing blow.

I can't believe you guys didn't see it from the very first episode. The Whedon-esque lol random teenager speak is very indicative of some Satanic trash. It's sad, because Doug TenNapel, the creator of Earthworm Jim, did an Adventure Time episode, and he's a conservative evangelical who's come out against gay marriage (the episode was written before he did that, though, I think). The first draft was some crazy stuff about one of the duo dying and then Abe Lincoln shows up to take their place in death so their friendship could be prolonged and that was why Lincoln was shot.

It's actually the seed of the woman who crushes the snake, but I get what you're saying

Are you referring to the Bullet Ant Gloves? (vid related)

*Watches Pilot again - vid related*

Yeah, it's lolrandum up the wazoo, but honestly other than possibly the meditation reference at the beginning, there's nothing here that screams out "future SJW Marxist Programming in the making!" Just a couple of bros saving a princess with a lot of lolrandum surrealism.

Really makes you think.

Cucktoons were never good

Where is that picture from?

Don't know. Stumbled upon it on Facebook a long time ago and it stuck with me. Looked it up again via image search to post it with that post because in encapsulated my feelings perfectly.

It looks familiar

It probably from a manga

Ultra violent Logan ended with wolverine regaining his faith. Logan even ended with wolverine daughter praying for his soul. Unlike justice league which opens up with Christian terrorists trying to bring back the dark ages. Logan surprisingly portrayed Christianity in a positive light.

IMO it's healthier for the soul to watch movies about absolute evil than it is to avoid them. There is so much soft propaganda about how cool it is to slide into degeneracy, anything that shocks the system into reminding you where that road ends is better.

Here's an example in a whole other genre.
Have you even seen the musical "Cabaret"? I think most people who talk about it give away the ending, but the plot is basically,

I mean for all the raunchiness and sleaze, the themes were unambiguous. Degeneracy leads to dissipation, and normies will only put up with it for so long.
Now for all the homo stuff and drag stuff (and shoot, someone even gets an abortion) you still don't see anyone rushing to stage a revival of it. Why?
Because it shows the stuff for what it is, and it shows that it's BAD! The cabaret scenes are disturbingly creepy, on purpose, because the point is that the Weimar lifestyle is destroying people's lives.

I mean if I had the choice to show a group of LGBT teens "Love Simon" or that, and, y'know, I cared about them in the slightest, I'd show them Cabaret and tell them buckle up.

We do people no favors by insulating them from being distressed.

Most are no prize nowadays, unfortunately.

The problem is that the vast majority of modern horror films, since roughly the late 50s to early 60s (Hammer films pretty much pioneered gore in horror films as we know it with "The Curse of Frankenstein" in 1957", with this trend taken to it's logical conclusion and further built upon after 1968's "Night of the Living Dead"), are in essence just glorified fictional snuff films. In other words, they're primarily designed to entertain and stimulate the audience with fictional people getting terrified, traumatized, mutilated and/or gruesomely murdered by demons, monsters and madmen. The fact that a lot of them intermix in sexuality ranging from softcore titillation, to outright explicitness is no accident either.

Films in this thread like "Halloween", "Friday the 13th", "A Nightmare on Elm Street", "Alien", "Predator", and such fit into this trend. People don't go and watch these movies for the paper-thin subtextual morality play aspects. They go because they want to get an adrenaline high or even a laugh out of someone getting hacked to death with a machete or having their head cut off. Just because it has a token crucifix or two, or passive-aggressively wags the finger at promiscuity (while blatantly hypocritically providing entertainment and attracting the audience via such sexual provocation in the first place) doesn't make it wholesome viewing for the Christian soul.

Honestly, the closest thing to horror films that would be appropriate for a Christian would be some of the old-school Universal Monsters pictures from the 30s as mentioned by which had some semblance of classiness and restraint.

This is not even mentioning the actors themselves. In the early canons of the Church and writings of the Church Fathers, there are actually very specific admonitions against acting, not only due to the effect on audiences, but especially due to the effect on actors. For example, the effect that essentially pretending to be evil, and getting oneself into an evil mindset in order to take on the role of a monster or demon, can have on the soul:

To be fair, in the context that these were written, they were written in reaction to the plays at the time, in which actors were literally engaging in various immoral and sexual acts on stage. But honestly: would they think much differently about your typical modern slasher flick? "Oh sure, 20 people got murdered in the film in increasingly sadistically imaginative ways, and the audience is giggling about it afterwards as if it were a roller-coaster ride, but there was a crucifix in it! And the scene where the girl gets cut in half at the torso by the psycho after a few minutes of her riding her boyfriend topless with her breasts bouncing around will surely discourage fornication! Church approved!"

Man, that was one of the best things of the predator movies before they winnie the poohed it up
Their Honor code

Most predator fans don’t consider Shane Black the predator canon.

That isn't going to stop holywood to milk the shit out of nupredator.

True but nupredator and alien prequels will probably end when disney reboot them in a new alien vs predator cinematic universe. Question is. How much worse they get?

Is Freddy vs Jason a Christian movie?

Attached: Freddy-Vs-Jason-Sales-Trailer-1997-Rare-Unearthed.jpg (798x420, 36.11K)

It ends with the possible redemption of Jason soul after he saved those teenagers in theirs 30s from Freddy.

I feel like a lot of the time, promiscuous scenes in slasher films are more disturbing than they are titillating considering the context. Japanese horror does that a lot, mixing disturbing imagery with extremely sexual themes leading to crazy shit like the game Catherine. That stuff's not really titillating, but uses titillating elements mixed with horror elements to lead the viewer into an uncanny valley.

Though I have to say, of those slasher films you mentioned, I think Friday the 13th is the only one guilty of just being a snuff series, and even then, the later movies got censored hard and barely even did that. I never found the gory scenes in the Elm Street movies amusing, although to be fair I never watched the last 2. Alien and Predator aren't very gory or sexual at all, except for the one tidbit of nudity in Predator 2.

I wish.

Umm, not really. I remember Part 5 in particular seemingly had deliberately obnoxious characters that made people literally cheer when they got killed.

From part 3 onwards, the calling card of the series was sadistically creative kills mixed with gallows humor, such as the moment in Part 3 where Freddy goes "Welcome to Prime Time B***! as he smashes her through the television and electrocutes her to death. Or another scene (from Part 4 or 5 IIRC) where Freddy sneaks up on a guy with hearing aids and scratches a chalkboard with his knife glove until his victim's head explodes. That scene in particular, especially in the manner Freddy sneaks up on said victim, has the feeling of a twisted Looney Tunes cartoon. It's very obvious that the intention of these movies is to amuse the audience with creative deaths as well as make them laugh with Freddy's cheesy or clever punchlines. In fact, until "Wes Craven's New Nightmare", the Elm Street Series from part 3 onward was basically a literal "horror comedy." (or technically Part 2 onwards, if you count the fact that Part 2 derived unintentional comedy from it's accidental homo-erotic subtext.) Part 1 and New Nightmare are just pure horror, murder and gore.

It's been forever since I've seen Predator 2 or Aliens, so I can't really comment on those (though I do remember the blatant sexual scene in Predator 2 that you're talking about.)

Maybe you don't derive amusement form the gore/murders, but I have a hard time believing that the vast majority of people who view these movies don't go with the intention of deriving entertainment from the vicarious violence. I hate to admit it, but if I'm being honest with myself, before I became a Christian and used to watch these movies, amusement from shock and gore was precisely why I watched them. Freddy's one-liners in tandem with the execution of the killings legitimately cracked me up. I remember the infamous defibrillator scene in John Carpenter's "The Thing" simultaneously shocking me, making me cringe, and utterly amusing me precisely because of those sensations.

Nowadays, I can't watch anything with excessive gore or cussing or an overall dark nihilistic vibe without feeling sick inside, and feeling worse for the experience.

On the subject of good movies in this vein, had anyone watched The Devil and Father Amorth yet? Freidkin seems earnest in his approach to the subject. Did a great interview on ewtn about it. Apparently converted.

Yeah, the kills were meant to be creative, but that's always what kind of freaked me out about them. The tendon puppet kill in Part 3 and the metamorphosis kill in Part 4 genuinely disturbed me, to be honest. The gallows humor just added to that for me, though I guess it doesn't for everyone, and the intentions of the filmmakers could have been different.

About the gory stuff in Alien and Predator, I guess I've just become a little desensitized to fictional violence after watching all the Evil Dead films and the new series, since that stuff seemed pretty tame to me.

I understand how people taking pleasure in violence on-screen could be perceived as harmful, and I try to avoid it myself lately, but isn't it better if people get that out of their system with fictional violence rather than real violence? Violence isn't really like sex in that respect. The more you watch porn, the more you want to watch it, and the more extreme porn you need to watch to get that hit, leading yourself into degeneracy, and that's why lust is so harmful. The mere act of viewing and desiring for sex is lust, but the mere act of viewing and taking pleasure in violence isn't murder.

It's even more different since on-screen nudity is actual nudity. I mean, seeing it in real life is a bit more intense, but you're looking at the same thing nonetheless. Real life violence, even just a video recording of real life violence, is infinitely more intense. It's not like playing a Doom game is gonna harden you for the horrors of war. IU mentioned before that the Evil Dead movies might have desensitized me to those more explicit scenes in Alien and Predator, but I'm not hunting for new, more gory films because of it. The drug-like aspect of lust just doesn't exist with witnessing violence.

Yeah, I feel like that sometimes too, but that encourages me to always have some discretion when viewing media that isn't explicitly Christian. The tone matters most for me. I hate art in general that has a happy-go-lucky, cutesy surface but is actually deeply nihilistic. Most modern music is like that. Compare a modern, sex-driven pop song (what comes to mind is a Britney Spears song called "3", a fast-paced light-hearted pop song about a threesome) to Brutal Planet by Alice Cooper, a metal album with a very dark tone, but actually criticizes sin instead of celebrating it, with quite a few biblical references as a bonus.

Keep in mind, God doesn't merely judge actions, he also judges the heart:

I have a hard time believing the witnessing of fictional violence is corrosive for one's soul. You said that taking pleasure in the destruction of an icon of God is murder in the eyes of God, and I'd agree, but "just fictional" violence is different.

"O daughter of Babylon, who are to be destroyed, happy the one who repays you as you have served us! Happy the one who takes and dashes your little ones against the rock!" Psalms 137:8-9

This seems rather violent and vengeful to me, so much so that atheists commonly cite it as evidence that the biblical authors were all middle-eastern barbarians, and it sure is a good thing that the psalmist (presumably) didn't go out and murder those little icons of God. JP Holding talks about this here near the bottom of the page: tektonics.org/af/ancientmores.php

Old special effects imitating those things are tame to me now. If I saw a real live skinned corpse, I'd probably shit my pants.

People become desensitized to it, and therefore less shocked, so Hollywood filmmakers up the ante to make it more shocking, because shock draws controversy, publicity, and ultimately, more money. This is anecdotal evidence, but I personally don't search for more violence films because I'm desensitized to most of it. There are people who do, I'm sure, and we'd call those people gore fetishists, and their particular perversion falls under the umbrella of lust in my view, since they're sexually aroused by it rather than being shocked or even amused.

Besides, the films you mentioned are getting kind of old now. Newer horror films have been depending more on just ripping off internet horror stories, from what I've seen. Most of them aren't even rated R anymore, they're PG-13. Although I could be wrong about that, I don't really pay much attention to modern Hollywood for obvious reasons. All I can tell you is that Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde from 1931 is a lot more explicit and disturbing than shit like Happy Death Day or The Bye Bye Man, and I'm not expecting to see TV commercials for Cannibal Holocaust any time soon.

There's a big difference between an instance of violence in the Bible that is either frank and matter of fact (like the beheading of Holofernes by Judith) or displaying the wrath of God (the verse you cite) and a typical modern horror gore-fest. The former is either historical or instructive; the latter is specifically designed to entertain and stimulate you with the human form being destroyed in blatantly graphic and grotesque ways. Also, I assume you are referring to this from that article:

Here's the thing though: God had lower standards for those of the Old Testament due to their fallen state and separation from God and lack of the Holy Spirit to guide them. Back in the Old Testament stoning to death or burning alive a woman who was an adulteress was normal. Yet when Jesus came, the aforementioned normalcy was transformed to "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." With Jesus Christ's sacrifice causing the reconciliation of God and man along with the receiving of the Holy Spirit, those under the New Covenant are held to a higher standard. As cited in the verses mentioned before Jesus considers the "pressure valve releasing" behavior cited in the article you posted to be murder of the heart.

Which leads to…

Exactly. Perhaps not everyone is a full blown "gore-fetishist" as you describe, but the general public as a whole, is attracted to shock, and needs to have the dose raised in order to get their fix. If there was no attraction for the general public to this whatsoever, Hollywood wouldn't even bother trying to push the envelope in this regard.

Then there's the general attitude towards death and dismemberment it encourages. I'll never forget watching one of the Final Destination films, and the majority of the audience literally laughing and cracking up at some of gorier deaths like it was some wacky cartoon. You can't tell me that something like that is good for the soul and doesn't contribute to murder in the heart. Or to cut to the chase of all this: can you imagine Jesus Christ watching these kinds of films?

Speaking of Final Destination, and the other films I've mentioned earlier: considering that their most recent sequels were made in the 2010s (with Saw's most recent being just last year, in particular), I'd hardly call these films ancient. Also, in light of the fact that "Jigsaw" made a killing at the box office in spite of critics calling it out for what it is, I'd hardly say that the public's desire for this kind of fare is waning.

As for the Dr Jekyll, Happy Death Day and The Bye Bye Man. I have seen none of those films so I can't comment. Also, are some horror films going the PG-13 path because they are legitimately PG-13 films in the manner that we think or that they should be, or have standards fallen so low, that a modern PG-13 movie might as well be a slasher flick from the 80s?

As for Cannibal Holocaust, considering that "The Green Inferno" came out in 2015, I wouldn't be surprised if we were that far away from it.

This reminds me of the dream scene in Hereditary in which the mother tells her son she tried to abort him; the son asks her why while crying and she catches on fire while trying to excuse herself and crying also. Very pro-life tbh.

It follows is anti-premarital sex.

What was wrong with this post? There were a lot of responses to it but it appears to have been deleted.