Who's your favorite philosopher, Zig Forums?

Who's your favorite philosopher, Zig Forums?

Attached: Deal with it.jpg (349x349, 82.09K)

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/1993/02/27/opinion/l-plato-on-homosexuality-238493.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/René_Girard
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

The Christian Meme-Master of course

Attached: it ain't meme magic, it's meme morality.jpg (1260x560, 56.55K)

Plato. He helped me see my soul, and then, to see God.

Socrates
Plato
Aquinas
Marcus Aurelus

All pretty based dudes

Attached: 1523917306760.jpg (500x636, 42.75K)

Why do people meme marcus so much? The guy literally persecuted Christians.

Because he was misled about christianity and tried to act according to which religion he believed was right (the empire's) but if you read his meditation you will see that his philosophy was quite close to christ in some aspect.
I mean, his most famous quote is basically "Love thy neighbor as yourself" in fluffly terms

Attached: marcus aurelus.png (645x354, 107.71K)

And before I get misunderstood, Marcus is NOTHING like Christ, not even the shadow of his right toe. I just said, he looked like Him in some ways.

What do you guys think of Boethius?

That's sad.
I have his most famous book on my PC. I still have to read it whole but from what I've seen, it's pretty nice

Why are you posting Sagin of Applebees?

Wasn't Plato a pedo?

He talks about sleeping with youths, which meant "adolescent boys" at the time.

Its either in Symposium or Republic I read that.

No.

"Whether these matters are to be regarded as sport, or as earnest, we must not forget that this pleasure is held to have been granted by nature to male and female when conjoined for the work of procreation; ==the crime of male with male, or female with female, is an outrage on nature and a capital surrender to lust of pleasure== . (Laws I 636a-d)

"That was exactly my own meaning when I said I knew of a device for establishing this law of restricting procreative intercourse to its natural function by abstention from congress with our own sex, with its deliberate murder of the race and its wasting of the seed of life on a stony and rocky soil, where it will never take root and bear its natural fruit, and equal abstention from any female field whence you would desire no harvest" (Laws VIII 838e-839a).

[Note: Also, do not forget that (1) Plato says that sexual intercourse even for heterosexuals is not really a great thing and should not be over-indulged in; and (2) Plato does not here or elsewhere condone any violence against homosexuals. However, these are passages for which people who believe that Plato was a homosexual need to account.]

He expressed the views of others when he was talking of pederasty, not his own views.

See nytimes.com/1993/02/27/opinion/l-plato-on-homosexuality-238493.html

No, see the other two post about it, and even if he was it would mean nothing.

My favourites are: Plato and Plotinus.

Currently reading Guenon and Philip Sherrard. Although they are more theologians than Philosophers.

Thought this anecdote was funny.

Attached: Plotinus and Origen.jpg (761x167, 73.31K)

Jesus

reported

Evola

Aquinas by far. How amazing that truth should not only be so obvious, at least to the tutored eye, but grounded and lovely as well.

Attached: 1534888848274.jpg (1650x1650, 960.46K)

My favorite philosopher would definitely have to be Dostoevsky.

*tips monocle*

I have mixed feeling on sargon, I don't know what to think of him

If youre Christian you should replace Evola with someone like Philip Sherrard. But you're probably a gnostic or someshit

He comes off as a ponce and like his atheism is firmly lodged in his intestinal track, but he is the type to sit down and have debates with people he disagrees with, which is a lot better than most.
I don't pay him a lot of attention, so I don't know if he applies this attitude to religious topics as well; since it's the subject people tend not to.

Oh boy, you haven't been following what happened the last few months, have you?

Attached: 61fc5b75462b477e72467fac9c7b51a03c70fbcba704da490bb84a3897b2ec44.mp4 (854x436, 1.32M)

Its gotta be Soren Kierkegaard. Although I do also like Plato, Descartes, Berkeley and Burke.

I would say Dostoevsky but I consider him mainly a writer.

As for contemporary ones, politically Rodger Scruton is great and Peter Van Inwagen's stuff on free will is brilliant. I don't consider WLC a great philosopher but he certainly is one of the best spokespersons for Christianity today.

Interesting. Do you know more writers like him who tackle environmental issues from a Christian perspective?

Are you talking about the situation with Jim aka mr metokur?

Attached: Humble Sargon.mp4 (720x720, 3.17M)

I think this guy is a total joke, but how come we christians don't have anyone sort of on this guys level. It's possible to be religious and still have a big backing, like Ben Shapiro, so how come Christians don't have someone with half a brain and at least comments on political things etc. and not Jordan Peterson, he's a freaking gnostic non Christian, although he was probably the like watered down red pill that some fedoras needed, they probably couldn't handle the real thing. Is shapiro just surviving cause of all the (((backing))) he is getting?

One of you all who's decent with youtube should start it. Oh and don't tell me the vigilant christian, that guy is a nutcase.

There are quite a few good Catholic youtubers, The Distributist, Mauritian Struggle and Fritz Imperial, to name few. On the more Protestant side there's Inspiring Philosophy and Acts17Apologetics. I don't know of any good Orthodox ones, unless you count Brother Nathanael.
Really anyone I've listed would be a good choice for /ourguy/, they're all very intellegent and each is able to hold their own in a debate. The issue with all of them is that, although they could all break into the mainstream with a little effort, most of the time they seem to prefer to stick to their own little circle, not trying to expand much outside of it.

I shiggy diggy

Attached: 735b1cd788c88d4e7639ed5ca995e5686b4053b61e6ffeb86d434d6a79d52bd1.gif (480x270, 87.41K)

Jay Dyer is very good.

you're thinking like a white tigger m8

he sits down and debates clips of people while smugly chuckling. Been absolute shit from day one

by a guy like sargon or shapiro, i don't really mean people like the distributist (i think distributism doesn't make any sense but that's another story) or acts17 etc. maybe the distributist but i haven't checked him out that much.

i mean more like someone like shapiro who's mostly a political commetator but just (((happens))) to be of his religion. so he attracts people mostly on conservative politics and inserts his pro-israel pro jew agenda here and there. but people are like well i guess it's alright to be religious cause there is this guy that i like separate from religion and he's (((based))) (to them) but yeah okay he's catholic, cool, etc.

get what i mean? i feel like for other people, they are more drawn to them because of their religion (or opposition to another religion) etc.

sargon doesn't really talk about his atheism that much (does he? barely seen the smug idiot) but he's more about like critiquing other people and then inserts his atheism into it.

we have a bunch of right-leaning commentators, and yeah, honestly there is one person, off all people, freaking milo (who seems sort of dead anyways, and a terrible representative) but he sort of does that, people come to him not cause of his supposed catholicism but cause of his commentary, and then he inserts how the catholic church is right and stuff (even though he's gay married and etc etc, total mess).

The Distributist is sort of like this, he mostly talks about culture, metapolitics and the necessity of traditionalism. However, the only person who really fits the bill and is sort of in the mainstream would be Steven Crowder.
He doesn't talk about religion that much, but hetakes his faith seriously and is a fairly devout protestant. Here's a video of him talking with Michael Voris of The Church Militant about the recent Catholic sex controversy

Jesus Christ
Aristotle
Aquinas
GE Moore
David Stove
Earl Conee

Attached: 1521401883122.jpg (465x600, 137.34K)

Jesus Christ our Lord and Salvation
St. Paul
St. John of the Revelation
Augustine (basically Plato pre-filtered through a Christian worldview)
John Calvin
John Owen
George Berkley (because he's interesting to read)
Cornelius Van Til
Alvin Plantinga

Attached: b9303d2ded41ae75bdca9ceb2137e33c2f8720ff1a20a58ae3849eb3d72e.mp4 (1280x720, 1.95M)

Who is that?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/René_Girard

Maybe it's because Christians focus more on the life to come than on this life. Anyhow, you might find someone on the Veritas Forum or the Fixed Point Foundation on YT, though I doubt it.

Augustine
Aquinas
Calvin
(does anyone see the pattern?)

They all have pseudo deterministic views of mankind?

This
He can be a bit autistic at times, but he's a good guy. Not afraid to stand up for what's right when it comes down to brass tacks.

Not the most eloquent or best debater, but the best we've got in that sphere I guess…

Mark Citadel was also quite good in the neoreactionary spheres precluding the alt-right, but has disappeared from the internet and you can only find his interviews and some blog posts now. Even better than Jay on some things, I'd say.
Jay Dyer gets memed on, sometimes rightfully so imo, but right now he's the best we've got.

correction: a person who at least claims to be Mark Citadel seems to be on twitter

They're in alphabetical order

Oh wait, just winnie the pooh my alphabet up fam

It is him, lad.