Jesuit priest James Martin to speak in Atlanta on welcoming LGBT Catholics

Well-known theologian and author the Rev. James Martin will be in Atlanta in October to discuss how the Catholic Church can be more welcoming to the lesbian, gay, bi-sexual and transgender communities.

Martin’s topic will be “Building a Bridge: Showing Welcome and Respect in our Parishes to LGBT Catholics.”

The Jesuit priest, whose views standing up for gay Catholics have drawn criticism, will speak at 7 p.m. Oct. 20 at St. Thomas More Catholic Church, 636 W. Ponce de Leon Ave., Decatur; and at 9:30 a.m. Oct. 21 at the Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, 48 Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, SW, Atlanta.

Martin is editor-at-large at America Magazine and is the best-selling author of “Jesus: A Pilgrimage,” “Seven Last Words,” “The Abbey” and “The Jesuit Guide to (Almost) Everything.”

Atlanta Archbishop Wilton D. Gregory said in a statement in the Georgia Bulletin that he was asked by one of the pastors to invite Martin “to share his perspective on ministry to the LGBTQ community as part of a larger, local parish conversation. I did not hesitate to support that pastor in extending the invitation.”

Gregory said a second parish then asked to host Martin during the same visit.

“Conscious of the considerable misinformation and misunderstanding surrounding Father Martin’s message as it relates to the church’s teaching, I renew my confidence in both the pastors and the presenter,” Gregory said in his statement. “I ask that you please join me in a spirit of respect for the dignity of every person of God as we welcome Father James Martin to the Archdiocese of Atlanta.”

His visit has already drawn controversy. A protest was held recently in front of a Catholic church in Buckhead.

Martin recently spoke at the Vatican’s World Meeting of Families in Dublin, Ireland, on the challenge in Catholic parishes to welcome and show respect to LGBT parishioners and their families.
In a YouTube video of his talk, Martin said meeting that challenge “is where grace abounds.”

Martin said he has heard from LGBT Catholics and their families, who have been made to feel like “lepers.”

According to a 2014 Pew Research Center study, 58 percent of U.S. adult women and 42 percent of adult men who are Catholic say homosexuality should be accepted in the Catholic Church.

Antonio Alonso, director of Catholic Studies at Emory’s Candler School of Theology, said while Pope Francis’ position is more open in welcoming LGBT Catholics, it hasn’t “gone far in changing church teachings in any substantive way.”

Still, the pontiff has emphasized “the love of God as the priority for Catholics in general toward gays and lesbians.”

Attitudes may be changing among U.S. Catholics.

Alonso points to a 2017 Pew study that found two-thirds of Catholics support same-sex marriage, as do a similar share of white mainline Protestants - 68 percent.
ajc.com/lifestyles/controversial-jesuit-priest-james-martin-speak-atlanta-welcoming-lgbt-catholics/0bquK48zhArzR28cG1wSmM/

Attached: SnipImage(2).JPG (778x608, 42.65K)

Other urls found in this thread:

aleteia.org/2018/05/22/cardinal-sarah-will-be-next-to-announce-habemus-papam/
ewtn.com/library/mary/akita.htm
onepeterfive.com/chief-exorcist-father-amorth-padre-pio-knew-the-third-secret/
onepeterfive.com/amidst-conflicting-fatima-secrets-a-clear-message-shines/
archive.fo/5rsP9
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

In a properly functioning Catholic Church, this sodomite would have been laicizied and then excommunicated for heresy and schism years ago.
For those blackpilling about the survey numbers:
- The Pew study on same-sex "marriage" asks whether it should be *legal* (muh insurance and hospital visits), not whether it's morally acceptable or whether they think it's valid personally. This gives flaky people who otherwise aren't 100% down with the homos a way to "support" same-sex unions without getting themselves ostracized at the water cooler.
- People are much more likely to call themselves "Catholic" for cultural reasons when they haven't been inside a church in years than Baptists or other denominations. Out of people that tithe or even attend more than once a month the sodomite acceptance rate is probably lower.

Any Christanons in the greater Atlanta area have the inside scoop on this parish?

Why does he refuse to admit that he is homosexual himself? What's keeping him from being open about it? He has Francis guarding him so I doubt he would be kicked out if he does.

Yes, well this is a church with Wuerl, Cupich and Tobin in the US…and Marx in Germany, the French church…not to mention the state of the orders. Well, I don't have to go on. It's a malfunctioning mess on all levels.

Those are good points. The main thing is that from top down you have prelates disseminating doctrine that is malformed from dogma and tradition. Little wonder you have so few zealots.

Not from Atlanta, but I've heard the people running the place are a lot like the people in Chicago. Archbishop Gregory is a leftist pretending to be a Catholic, and a thief. He stole 2-3 million dollars USD to build a luxury house a few years back.

From what I understand, he's got some kind of prohibition on him from discussing his sexuality…but apparently he's let it slip while visiting seminaries.

LOL BLOCKED

Attached: 2.jpg (604x342 73.25 KB, 29.73K)

Just realized he will be at the same parish from this thread which makes complete sense.

Who cares? Let him do his thing. Maybe we should focus more on the cancerous darkness befalling the world instead.

Would be willing to be more specific? What trouble would that be?

Poor Jesuits, from fighting Church hearsay to actually becoming it, there fall sure is hard. Also 42%, was expecting worse tbh, I guess us Catholic men need to start standing up to this if no one else is going too.

My brother, 'his thing' is a part of the cancerous darkness corrupting the world.

…Like Priests actively advocating for people to accept and embrace sin?

Attached: antanas.jpg (196x257, 6.08K)

this "man" (demon infested piece of flesh) serves Satan and Satan alone. repent or burn.

the exorcism needed for this man would probably take about a decade, legion is an understatement to the amount of demons that are running amok. if they are driven out into pigs it would probably cause worldwide pork shortages

I think it's more likely he just doesn't believe in God and just wants a pro-gay sex global church he can skinwalk with. Although you could well be right, but I would have thought Gabriele Amorth would have caught him.

Well, I guess that'd make /islam/ happy, if nothing else.

I'm starting to think this is a much bigger problem than people think. Priests who are secretly atheists and who therefore treat the doctrines of the Church as man made trivialities. Priests who bow to the pressures of modernism and hedonism because in their heart they truly don't believe in the resurrection of the righteous. There is a guy on reddit who said he worked in a retirement home for Priests and almost all of them were openly atheist, saying that the only reason they still went to mass was to receive their monthly stipend.

How many crypto-atheists are within the ranks of the clergy secretly working to subvert church teaching and tradition to make it more hospitable to those who place modern notions of social justice above the word of God? It's looking like the number is much higher than we ever thought, possibly even the majority.

If only you knew

Well, I hope it's a smaller number than "almost all of them", if that's what's coming out of some of the last generation of priests. But I suspect it is the majority. And that also doesn't preclude other factions working to subvert things, besides basic atheism either.

Meanwhile in Tempe, Arizona, no homos allowed

I'm sure there must be a generational thing inflaming the situation. Boomers, V2 participants, etc.
I don't have it but recently somebody posted a graphic with a poll re: belief in God among Anglican clergy. The results were pretty true to the meme, but fascinatingly, those ordained between the fifties and seventies seemed to be the most given over to atheism and heterodox beliefs, with the number tapering down to a scant minority among those ordained in the last decade or so. My impression is that it's probably the same way in Catholicism. Or at least, organically it would have worked out that way, but with the recent revelation of wide scale homo chauvinism in the seminaries, Catholics may be actually worse.

This IS the cancerous darkness befalling the world, you poof.

Attached: image.jpg (720x720, 155.39K)

no homos in mosques either, doesn't mean they've got the spirit or teachings of Christ in them.

This is the root of the problems.
From it's head to its limb the Jesuit order in particular do not believe in God. They want to keep the church powerful by turning it into a secular moral authority for an atheistic world.

Good! More people need to do things for LGBT Catholics.

Attached: f332181bf7795670c59ab782ce2e08c246e82a3c8be5f053ca54ccebab1370f0.jpg (600x432 82.55 KB, 335.04K)

Well … if you think about it … at least as far as American catholicism is concerned … that still kinda works …

seriously will there be no one left??

Attached: lol-farage.jpg (544x366, 38.63K)

luvit

Attached: lol-cruise.jpg (800x450, 58.68K)

Any 501c3 Church is subject to become just as bad as Catholic parishes are showing themselves to be currently. They just happen to be the vanguard.

They all serve the State, and preach what makes the State happy. Not the word of God.

>could he be "our guy"?

aleteia.org/2018/05/22/cardinal-sarah-will-be-next-to-announce-habemus-papam/
How can he announce himself as the next Pope?
Or is this the liberals in the conclave putting him out of contention by making him take this role?

Are you drunk? Every traditional catholic has always despised this sodomite subverter.

I believe that. I just don't understand why traditional catholics stick around.

Can it be more clear whose servant this guy is?

I can't escape the conclusion that God is making this as easy as possible for us to see through, and will expect action from us accordingly.

the pressure I feel to made the proper move is unbelievable. Is God calling us to revolt? Abandon ship? Overthrow? Surely not to abide by this profanation…. It can't be. I can't believe that. Even if the Catholic church is the true bride of Christ…. This ain't it.

Not on this board. His videos were widely circulated on Zig Forums around a year ago when cathbros were trying to answer all the good protty teaching youtube videos threads.
Scores of them, if not hundreds, were posted here.

Get over it. Y'all have only recently discovered what he's truly about.

What will you do when the cathbro church is as plague-ridden by liberalism as the Anglicans? Revolt? Abandon ship? Overthrow? Abide?
It's coming. Maybe only to the western church, but it's coming nonetheless. This is the trial before God truly purges His Church worldwide. I just hope you Cathbros are truly ready when the "abomination that causes desolation" is greeted with a kiss by some future Pope.
absolutely serious

Uh what? Are you posting from some sort of bizzaro universe? I’ve literally only ever seen Catholics on here treat Martin with disdain and contempt. Is it possible you’re confusing him with someone else?

I don't remember "hundreds" or many at all, but someone could have posted some somewhere. There's some people who have been posted that I don't like that I do know about, for example Father "Reasonable Expectations" Barron. I don't think he's quite as bad as James Martin, but he's a little squishy on some points, and I really don't think that should be allowed anymore. I mean Mother Angelica's famous "why did you have Jesus as a girl, you abominations" speech on EWTN from the mid 90s, was co-hosted by Tim Dolan, we know how he turned out.

Well, with Fatima, that applies here more than you think. I think it's a double edged sword…for the sake of the next paragraphs, since I assume you aren't R.C., lets pretend that you are and accept that event as validly divine.

Now, if we presume that Russia must be consecrated, then that suggests that there is some error that the nation there that Russia will enter or re-enter into. The ROC would be caught up in these troubles as a matter of consequence, and given their size and influence that would certainly affect the Orthodox side of things when that comes to pass. The other part is that, through the revelation of Third Fatima by Padre Pio (posthumously and recently) and similarly worded visions from Akita, indicate the Vatican will become increasingly degenerate and ineffective over time until the scythe is let loose on the world. Also aside from those visions, there have also been very noteworthy Catholic personages that have been informed spiritually of the direction of Rome would go, from seers to popes. In fact in the Extraordinary Mass there was a section inserted specifically to combat that outcome, which was of course removed in the newer forms.

Now, what do we have at the moment? We have the Catholic structure increasingly resembling a UN global McMission that wants to have moral command on the world, but only through the world, rather than through doctrine and traditions. There is still a Catholic Church, but it is increasingly alienated from the larger administration. At the same time recently, we see a potential issue between the Orthodox branches over the Ukraine, which may well develop into a serious situation. There's simultaneous troubles, of varying degrees of apparent danger.

As far as apocalyptic forces…the most obvious track is you have right now is a trade war that China is on the receiving end of, that they are not doing well in, and additionally they are facing a population crash within the next quarter century due to their ill-advised and evil population controls back during the 20th Century. When that crash happens, there won't be any question of China being a force-projecting power anymore for 50-100 years. Certainly no chance they'll ever get Taiwan, or the Philippines or whatever other territory they want, at least in realistically foreseeable future. Something would have to give on those points sooner or later, but now the situation is that they either have to act at this moment, or never act ever. They can't wait for 2020, or 2024, for breathing space economically.

When you look at this current issue, I believe that we are entering a window where a critical event could occur, in accordance with things that have developed over time, which could pave the way for the final event. Remember, Antichrist NEEDS to have a world with insolvable problems to become active, so that he may solve them and for people to proclaim him a false god. And what fits that bill better than a post-World War 3 world that needs restoration?

Now, I'm not predicting this will happen, I could be quite wrong about it all. However, I am anticipating a potential danger that could occur, in this instance. I'm very concerned about this period, in other words, but I hope that things do stabilize through the Lord's grace.

Would you mind telling me what was said in these visions, user?

Well, the Lady of Akita was a series of appearances by Mary in Japan about…oh, a good 40 years ago. Benedict, back when he was at CDF apparently said they were genuine (in private at least) and official findings haven't overturned the authenticity of the visions as determined through proper authorities. However the church overall is somewhat cool on them, doesn't like talking about these events really. I expect some of it has to do with the "work of the devil will infiltrate even into the Church in such a way that one will see cardinals opposing cardinals, bishops against bishops. The priests who venerate me will be scorned and opposed by their confreres…churches and altars sacked" part towards the end. There's a few communications in series, so a link to them for brevity's sake:
ewtn.com/library/mary/akita.htm

Now, as far as Fatima goes, the first two secrets are widely known and published. You can find them easily through an internet search. However there's always been some controversy over the third secret, and how authentic certain publications involving it were. This 1P5 article goes into some detail on some new developments of the situation:
onepeterfive.com/chief-exorcist-father-amorth-padre-pio-knew-the-third-secret/

(There's also a link to a more robust article about Fatima, which seems to reprint some communications from John Paul II on the matter. I'll link it here for further reading but after this let's just focus on the top article:)
onepeterfive.com/amidst-conflicting-fatima-secrets-a-clear-message-shines/

In the book "The Best Kept Secret of Fatima", Father Gabriele Amorth (the foremost exorcist at the Vatican, even since the middle 90s) made a statement that Padre Pio had known the Third Secret. I'll edit down to the most important bits, also empathized in the article.

Amorth:
"One day Padre Pio said to me very sorrowfully: 'You know, Gabriele? It is Satan who has been introduced into the bosom of the Church and within a very short time will come to rule a false Church.'…it must have been (said) about 1960, since I was already a priest then."

Interviewer:
"Was that why John XXIII had such a panic about publishing the Third Secret of Fatima, so that the people wouldn’t think that he was the anti-pope or whatever it was …?"

Amorth:
(wry smile)

Interviewer:
"Did Padre Pio say anything else to you about future catastrophes: earthquakes, floods, wars, epidemics, hunger …? Did he allude to the same plagues prophesied in the Holy Scriptures?"

Amorth:
"Nothing of the sort mattered to him, however terrifying they proved to be, except for the great apostasy within the Church. This was the issue that really tormented him and for which he prayed and offered a great part of his suffering, crucified out of love."

So, both Akita and Fatima-3 predict great apostasy and evil from Church officials (not necessarily lay people), if we are to believe some bishops, Benedict (who has never contradicted said bishop's statements about authenticity, and he has had many opportunities to do so), and JP2's favorite exorcist. Both situations also talk about Biblical destruction in response to this issue, Akita's can be seen in the very first link quite plainly and Third Fatima's destruction is briefly discussed by JP2 in the last link, where he said he didn't want to release it because telling everyone that millions of people are going to die in tsunamis wouldn't do anyone any good, in his opinion.

And also we have Amorth's quiet revelation on John not wanting to publish it because he didn't want to be labeled (rightly or wrongly) an antipope or worse by those people who had it out for him. Amorth also is…well, was convinced that Russia was not consecrated at any point before 2015-16. Which, if you think Fatima is legitimate, is a fairly massive problem.

Another hint of the current situation of the Church is that we never produced another great saint and wonderworker like those of old after Padre Pio.

Things That Never Happened: Zig Forums Edition

Attached: aDA3c.jpg (250x250, 9.87K)

Good point. Interesting. I hope it switches up and he doesnt announce it but is pope himself. Unless of course God has other plans, maybe theres some hidden gem in there.

Mother Teresa is a saint.

To be fair, I believe the events predicted by Our Lady at Akita are currently occurring.

ATLfag here, I don't know much about Gregory (I've met him a few times and he seems like a nice jovial guy), but he was involved in some embezzlement scheme a while back.
If he's a buddy buddy with J*mes M*rtin then my opinion of him's really soured.
It's all so tiresome.

What even makes these sick people who have no fear of God become priests? I assume they don't actually believe in God and try to use to priesthood as a means for comfort.

saint doesn't mean they were a good person. if i am to believe jp2 is a saint he scraped his way in. and hey i won't complain, i hope i scrape myself too, but also don't venerate me. i didn't spew heresy like it was fun. let st. john the baptist(an incredible saint) bless islam? wait what? what? heresy dripping from this mans mouth.

ST John the Baptist is so great i shouldn't even mention him, much less tell him to bless the religion of a pedophile rapist. St. John the Baptist, pray for us!

OUR LADY I LOVE YOU, I AM NOBODY, help me my mama

So this guy is himself a homosexual right? He's got the doughy self-satisfied face of someone doing naughty things back in seminary.

There's rumors to that effect, but one can not base anything that unreliable. What his says in public however is quite enough for him to be fought against.

How I despise them so much.
archive.fo/5rsP9

Attached: fc46e96f9e0120ef1b6b0353f43922628fac7f39aa54ed5f09befac8145d88c9.png (620x611, 83.32K)

I can't say I agree with contemporary Jesuits, but are the Spiritual Exercises and Ignatian Spirituality good and valuable?

How do they compare to mystical Orthodox practices and the wariness of prelest?

How can anyone blame Catholics for not attending mass when it only offers the illicit Talmud mass and has women constantly walking in the sanctuary.

Plenty of homos in mosques. They love raping men and boys, they just pretend they aren't sodomites

God is calling you to prayer, penance, reparation, resisting according to your state in life, keeping the faith, not sinning and building excellence in all virtues. Satan is calling you to revolt, schism, heresy, war etc. If you have faith and hope then you do not worry about the Church for it is the mystical body of Christ which the gates of hell cannot prevail against. Just fulfill your duties according to your state in life. Do not usurp the power of God

St JP2 already kissed the abomination of desolation. St JP2 please restore all the damage that occurred under your pontificate and help burn all qurans

Yes they're very good. They're designed to make your own will subservient to the will of God, so you can make decisions based on God's desires and not your own.

They're completely unrelated. Carmelite spirituality is more similar to Orthodox mysticism, if you're looking for a Catholic counterpart. And prelest is a meme.

Btw lads, most jesuits are pretty much the same as any religious. They're typically more traditional than the average layman and dedicated to Catholic doctrine

The reason there are jesuits like Martin and Francis is because the jesuits took to running universities. During the 60s when universities increasingly became leftist, many cultural catholic homos joined the jesuits to have a fast tracked way to a professorship.

Also the statistics are intentionally misleading and designed to generate as high a pro fag message as possible.

Prelest cannot be a meme if deceptive forces exist, Paul tells us to test the spirits and cultivate the gift of spiritual discernment. It is sometimes used to answer charismatic Pentecostal practices.

Orthodox Mysticism has Hesychasm, Theoria, the Ladder of Divine Ascent, etc.. When I asked how they compare, I am referring to the practices and goals, how they purify or bring one closer to God.

BEGOME EXCOMMUNICATED

And the answer is never to leave the church. Schism is never the option.
Even if every cardinal becomes a faggot the church will not fall. It just can't. If God wanted us to juno overboard it would mean he lied to us in Matthew 16. And God can't lie. It's one of those things an all powerful and all perfect being cannot do.

Matthew 4:8-9

The devil can give the church the whole world. She only has to do one thing…